Mark Hughes

arfurdent

And the same club that took until March to sack Pelligrino. We love a drag out.

Last season was so weird. Both of those scenarios were bizarre. We did what seemed like a 2 week season de-brief & then kept releasing stuff through the Telegraph saying things like: "The club haven't ruled out keeping Puel" even though we knew he was going to go.

It was so strange.

Starting to drag this out aren’t we

It is a multi million pound contract. These aren't things to be rushed, lawyers take time.

I guess it'll be announced either tonight or tomorrow. Whether it was last week, tonight or tomorrow, makes no difference to next season. Patience is a virtue Batman.

It is a multi million pound contract. These aren't things to be rushed, lawyers take time.

I guess it'll be announced either tonight or tomorrow. Whether it was last week, tonight or tomorrow, makes no difference to next season. Patience is a virtue Batman.

Tonight or tomorrow evening I would guess. Saints like an evening announcement !

Not a big drinker myself. Haven't been to The Arms in a long long time. Drop in at Red Rover occasionally with Mrs Landford on way back from the game though. Never met Mr Rockingham, although I do know that Mrs Rockingham is loathe to leave their current domicile if ever that was necessary. Mind you given the location, I would be loathe to move too.

My daughter in law's brother is the landlord of the RR. I thought that was the case.

Edited by derry

I know people get bored in summer but the negativity over this one is pathetic. Hughes isn't getting a better job than this. He was lucky to get another chance in the top flight immediately after Stoke. He's done fine, won 2 from 8 but overall probably deserves a proper chance next year. Enough for that chance, but not enough for other clubs to be sniffing around at all. He still has a lot to prove.

So why wouldn't the club take their time to discuss the longer term with him now we're safe? Discuss transfer targets with him. AND, take the time to see if there are better candidates out there now.

Although like people just want to take any chance to criticise the club based on no info. And typically, batman leading the charge.

I don't think many are concerned about him being pinched. I agree we need him as much as he needs us.

I think it's more following Ralphs comments last week about "learning" and being more decisive and getting things done early.

The dragging out transfers and manager situations just confirms that nothing has really changed and it's probably more that, that worries people most.

Same old, same old "Southampton way"

Another appointment being turned intoa pigs ear by the board of SFC....

The dragging out transfers and manager situations just confirms that nothing has really changed and it's probably more that concern that worries people most.

Can you outline why it is a "pig's ear" of an appointment?

Why does it matter if Hughes was appointed last week, tonight or tomorrow. It makes no difference.

Can you outline why it is a "pig's ear" of an appointment?

Why does it matter if Hughes was appointed last week, tonight or tomorrow. It makes no difference.

Don't be niave mate. The uncertainty will impact a lot of things.

Season ticket sales, players futures, potential transfers.

Can you explain exactly how him being appointed last week vs tonight/tomorrow impacts each of the following you mentioned...

1) Season ticket sales

2) Players futures

3) Potential transfers

1) If anyone was making season ticket choices mbased on the manager, then all they'd do is buy one this week when he is appointed... so how has the club lost out?

2) Player futures would all have been discussed with Hughes during the negotiations... so how has the club lost out?

2) Potential transfers would all have been discussed with Hughes during the negotiations... so how has the club lost out?

Go back to being Eko, he made more sence.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Can you explain exactly how him being appointed last week vs tonight/tomorrow impacts each of the following you mentioned...

1) Season ticket sales

2) Players futures

3) Potential transfers

1) If anyone was making season ticket choices mbased on the manager, then all they'd do is buy one this week when he is appointed... so how has the club lost out?

2) Player futures would all have been discussed with Hughes during the negotiations... so how has the club lost out?

2) Potential transfers would all have been discussed with Hughes during the negotiations... so how has the club lost out?

Of course it makes a difference, every day we are managerless is a day less work done by the manager. Wether it’s researching players, planning, negotiating. Last season we lost a month through ****ing about, looks like they are screwing this up as well.

Of course it makes a difference, every day we are managerless is a day less work done by the manager. Wether it’s researching players, planning, negotiating. Last season we lost a month through ****ing about, looks like they are screwing this up as well.

Hughes is clearly going to be the manager, included in the discussions he has been having for the past week will be budgets, players, plans etc etc. We aren't going to suffer from appointing Hughes today/tomorrow vs last week.

All the reports in the press are that it is 99% with the lawyers just needing to make sure all the fine print is correct. And yet, because it hasn't been officially announced that Sparky has signed today he is just sitting at home, with his thumb up his anus, refusing to to do any planning, researching, etc? Whereas, if it had been announced earlier today that the contract had been signed he would be beavering away at Staplewood getting everything ready for next season?

Or maybe it matters not one jot whether it was announced today, will be announced tomorrow, or some time later this week.

And hey, guess what, Sparky will likely have a holiday over the coming weeks no matter when it is announced.

:mcinnes:

Bit confused with the negativity on here too. Assuming what I was told, and others including press have confirmed, this is just lawyers scribbling it down right, then the appropriate people signing it. Sparky said he was going on holiday this week, so I am guessing he and his family would want this settled quick so they can take their buckets and spades to Mudeford. Just chill and await. These things take time. "Good things come to those that wait".

We must be waiting for the best PR moment.

News of Sunderland being taken over killed it for us tonight

I think with what has transpired this season doing this summer as quiet as possible would be the best plan.

The reality is we are now a team which struggled to survive in the league, whilst we could be a team that challenges for Europe we didn't do it. If the board is planning big unveilings and what not - i think its grossly misplaced.

Hughes has not exactly set the world on fire in the last few years as a manager. The premier league is full of examples of managers who have come in and "kept a team up" only to struggle the following year and bitten the bullet not far in to the next season. I have no input to the decision and now one is going to care about my opinion, but I think it is time to move on to an upcoming manager, not a been around the blocks a few times manager like Hughes is.

All the reports in the press are that it is 99% with the lawyers just needing to make sure all the fine print is correct. And yet, because it hasn't been officially announced that Sparky has signed today he is just sitting at home, with his thumb up his anus, refusing to to do any planning, researching, etc? Whereas, if it had been announced earlier today that the contract had been signed he would be beavering away at Staplewood getting everything ready for next season?

Or maybe it matters not one jot whether it was announced today, will be announced tomorrow, or some time later this week.

And hey, guess what, Sparky will likely have a holiday over the coming weeks no matter when it is announced.

:mcinnes:

Thats all fine and dandy if that is the case, I just hope it isn’t another car crash like last summer.

Edited by aintforever

Hughes has not exactly set the world on fire in the last few years as a manager. The premier league is full of examples of managers who have come in and "kept a team up" only to struggle the following year and bitten the bullet not far in to the next season. I have no input to the decision and now one is going to care about my opinion, but I think it is time to move on to an upcoming manager, not a been around the blocks a few times manager like Hughes is.

I don't think that accurately depicts Hughes at Stoke...

2013/14 - 9th

2014/15 - 9th

2015/16 - 9th

2016/17 - 13th

2017/18 - sacked whilst struggling

9th three years in a row with Stoke is pretty good going tbf to him.

I don't think that accurately depicts Hughes at Stoke...

2013/14 - 9th

2014/15 - 9th

2015/16 - 9th

2016/17 - 13th

2017/18 - sacked whilst struggling

9th three years in a row with Stoke is pretty good going tbf to him.

on the other hand saints

2013-2014 8th

2014-2015 7th

2015-2016 6th

2016-2017 8th

and we had people complaining that wasn't good enough so it's interesting people think Hughes record at Stoke is now really good.

That's good in theory but no one has yet identified the up and coming manager that we might realistically attract.

Hate to say it but this was also the theory on appointing Pellegrino as well.

on the other hand saints

2013-2014 8th

2014-2015 7th

2015-2016 6th

2016-2017 8th

and we had people complaining that wasn't good enough so it's interesting people think Hughes record at Stoke is now really good.

Who said "really good"? Also Hughes didn't have as many good players to work with compared with Saints from 2013 to 2017.

Nearly ever team selection Puel and Pelligrino made had me chomping at the bit with rage, conversely Hughes selections where almost spot on in my book even though he had a very limited time with the squad.

I admired what he did in his short time with us and the reaction from him and the rest of the team towards him was like he managed us for years. I’ve not been his biggest fan but he could be one of those managers whose face just fits at saints just like Lawrie Mac. He also has a previous with saints so I am now all for him.

Nearly ever team selection Puel and Pelligrino made had me chomping at the bit with rage, conversely Hughes selections where almost spot on in my book even though he had a very limited time with the squad.

I admired what he did in his short time with us and the reaction from him and the rest of the team towards him was like he managed us for years. I’ve not been his biggest fan but he could be one of those managers whose face just fits at saints just like Lawrie Mac. He also has a previous with saints so I am now all for him.

Yes exactly how I feel. He's the right man at the right time.

Strangely I too feel he fits...I think he will do well here.

I never liked him as a Man U player--good but horrible--and I was disappointed in him with us, his best days were truly over. When he became a manager, I always laughed when he got the sack, never thought he would come to us. The weird thing is, I now like him and hope he gets the job. The way he changed things round, picked a settled side and got the wasters under control speaks well for ther future, I hope.

So whoever the manager is to be, he won't be allowed to have a break like the players, is that what your saying?

If one of the stories on the hoedt tidbit thread is true I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall when one player arrived late. Can just see the primadonna swanning in all cocky and Hughes sending him off home like a naughty schoolboy. :lol:

Well said

If one of the stories on the hoedt tidbit thread is true I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall when one player arrived late. Can just see the primadonna swanning in all cocky and Hughes sending him off home like a naughty schoolboy. :lol:

Possibly what lead to Boufal offering to 'sort it' with him in the gym. And then was never heard of again.

Such as ??

The one name I keep hearing, the lad at Fulham, is now being linked with Chelsea.

So whoever the manager is to be, he won't be allowed to have a break like the players, is that what your saying?

As has been said, he was clicking his heels for a few weeks when he left Stoke.

And besides, he could take a break a few weeks later. He has plans to set in-motion for others, during his absence

I think the delay is due to Hughes' clause 36: 'Can I ignore everything that tit Les Reed says? Please.' Lawyers are checking if that is watertight or that the 'tit' refers to his breast area.

I never liked him as a Man U player--good but horrible--and I was disappointed in him with us, his best days were truly over. When he became a manager, I always laughed when he got the sack, never thought he would come to us. The weird thing is, I now like him and hope he gets the job. The way he changed things round, picked a settled side and got the wasters under control speaks well for ther future, I hope.

These were the basics that you would expect any manager worth his salt to do when coming into a struggling club though Dellman. Hughes has proved he can get teams to survive in the Premiership (although he may have not done so with Stoke if he had stayed there) but we want to do more than survive dont we? Whatever happened to trying to get back into Europe? Do the Board really believe that Hughes is the man to take us there, or have they bottled it and are looking of 3 years of finishing 10th? If it is true that Reed is the only member of the Board saying that we should explore our options then he is the only one employing any common sense in this matter. That is not to say that we shouldn't employ Hughes, but it should be on the basis that he is the best man for the job, not the only man for the job.

These were the basics that you would expect any manager worth his salt to do when coming into a struggling club though Dellman. Hughes has proved he can get teams to survive in the Premiership (although he may have not done so with Stoke if he had stayed there) but we want to do more than survive dont we? Whatever happened to trying to get back into Europe? Do the Board really believe that Hughes is the man to take us there, or have they bottled it and are looking of 3 years of finishing 10th? If it is true that Reed is the only member of the Board saying that we should explore our options then he is the only one employing any common sense in this matter. That is not to say that we shouldn't employ Hughes, but it should be on the basis that he is the best man for the job, not the only man for the job.

Those were the basics I would have expected the previous two managers to do, but they didn't. Hughes has proved he can regularly get teams to finish above the 10th place you mention. He well have done so again this past season with Stoke, we will never know.

If he is appointed (and I fully expect him to be) that will not say to me that the board have given up any hope of us qualifying for Europe again; it will say to me that they have realised the way forward is with an experienced manager for our level, not someone with an unimpressive record in another country (such as his predecessor).

Last summer many were calling for Puel's head - look where that got us!

Now that I have answered your questions, perhaps you will answer a few of mine:

Why do you think Hughes won't be able to qualify us for a European campaign?

Do you think we have, and will have, a worse squad than Stoke had for 3 of the past 4 seasons? If so, where do you think they were superior to the squad we are likely to go into the new season with?

Who, realistically, do you think we could appoint who could guarantee us better results than the past two seasons and better than Sparky could achieve with us?

Exactly this. Have always disliked him but now I don't!

You're trying to logic two anti saints uber trolls again.

How pathetic.

The board at SFC cant organise the proverbial p*ss-up in a brewery. WHam, Chelsea and Arsenal will probably have confirmed new managers before we do.

And for expressing that opinion, based on experience of this board, I get called as above.

Extremely childish.