Mark Hughes

arfurdent

Two players for 20 clubs is hardly missing out. Plus we don't need a manager to sign players, they are club decisions.

Should they be though? Overall I agree that the 'club' - although who exactly? Wilson & Reed? - should have 'control' over transfers, I don't think they should be left to their own devices in the same way that a manager shouldn't be. We have signings like Nathan Redmond and Guido Carrillo, at opposite extremes of the scale - one signing purely decided by the club, the other solely (surely?!) decided by the manager.

Wouldn't it be a much better process if the manager identified a weakness or void in the squad - perhaps "a dominant CB", "a right back" or "a pacey winger" - and the club works on finding a suitable shortlist of players that meet this criterion, in addition to other important attributes. Then they review and discuss the options with the manager, before jointly deciding on the best option?

It really doesn't seem like a difficult concept, and one that I'd like to believe the 'Southampton way' incorporates, but there seems to be too many signings that clearly haven't gone through such a process, which leaves me somewhat sceptical about whether there really is one at all.

The continual delays and dilly dallying on appointing the new manager shows that the Board haven't learned a thing from last seasons fiasco. Time for Krueger and Reed to step down and for new brooms to sweep clean. ?

The continual delays and dilly dallying on appointing the new manager shows that the Board haven't learned a thing from last seasons fiasco. Time for Krueger and Reed to step down and for new brooms to sweep clean. 

Today is 23rd May

Last season the new manager was appointed on...

23rd June

The fact that Hughes is the only one already in situ could be a reason why it's not being rushed through. Saints and Hughes may have a "gentleman's agreement" that he'll stay ergo there's no mad rush to lock in the deal.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows...?

Sounds more like wishful thinking than offering any real insight as to why things are not going as smoothly as many had believed they would. Nobody in negotiations goes slowly deliberately so it looks very much as 'though there are stumbling blocks. Either their are other candidates or there is a clash of views on who does what and who will be responsible for what. If there is no transfer budget that might be one hell of a sticking point although had that been the case Hughes might well have walked already. The fact that he is still in the building suggests he is still in the frame but whatever aspects have divided them will likely leave a sour taste one way or the other. Not a good start.

Today is 23rd May

23rd June

Yes and it was a terrible season. Who knows if we would have been any better off with more decisive decision making. Lets remember also that this season we have a truncated transfer window and thus it's more important than ever that we get this sorted asap. |The impression it gves is we are being difficult and dragging our feet once again and we look slightly rudderless. |It's not a good look.

In fairness though, we all know that MP wasn't our first or possibly even second choice.

If we had got the man we really wanted then it would have undoubtedly been wrapped up much sooner.

In fairness it was a self-induced cluster **** because we chose to sack a perfectly good manager. All the titting about with 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices could have been done in May whilst the season was coming to an end.

Starting to drag this out aren’t we

If this is saints having a decisive summer and getting business done early.... going to be a stopping transfer window!

Stoke get relegated, sack their manager and appoint a new one before we sort ourselves out

We must be waiting for the best PR moment.

News of Sunderland being taken over killed it for us tonight

I’m guessing West Ham stole out thunder today? Let’s hope nothing in the world of football happens tomorrow, ffs

Sign of things to come this summer. Taking time in signing a manager who is already here and really wants to stay

Considering we were safe after the Swansea game.

Tick tock

Anyone reckon we will go into June without a manager?

Probably just the lawyers holding things up (still)

Arsenal appoint a manager

We are smashing the summer window so far

broken-record-gif-1.gif

Edited by Matthew Le God

In fairness it was a self-induced cluster **** because we chose to sack a perfectly good manager. All the titting about with 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices could have been done in May whilst the season was coming to an end.

You sure about that bit?

Who would ever have thought, when we were finishing sixth under Ronald Koeman, that two seasons later we'd be getting impatient for the club to appoint Mark fricking Hughes?

We've come a long way.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Today is 23rd May

23rd June

Yes and that all turned out really well.

Also teams like Huddersfield had pretty much sewn up all their summer business by then and were getting ready for a good pre-season.

There is no reason I can think of apart from Bunsen and Beaker either not wanting too much managerial input into their domain, or they are just plain incompetent to the point of lackadaisical.

I had earnestly hoped that by getting the manager in place early, it would give a settled air to the club after last seasons horror show, and allow us to focus on a really good pre-season and squad construction.

The fact that Ralph even stated that Sparky "fitted like a glove" should be good reason to gt him on board quickly. Why the hell is the hold up..

I really do not trust those two berks to get anything right - very frustrating.

Two players for 20 clubs is hardly missing out. Plus we don't need a manager to sign players, they are club decisions.

So signing for a club with no Manager is attractive then is it?

The longer it goes without a contract the more risk there is that something could go wrong and we are left in the lurch again... These are lessons we should have learnt by now.

There is no scenario where I can see an advantage to prolonging the issue of not having a Manager in place....

didn't someone say he was on holiday until this weekend

I miss the good old days when someone would hang around outised Staplewood, or even hide in the bushes, to catch a glimpse of whoever was of interest at the time and report back here. Is there no-one on here that could camp out at the main gate for us?

You sure about that bit?

He should have said a far better manager than the one we replaced him with. What ever people feel about Puel I don't think there is any debate he was/is a better manager than MoPe? Generally the point of replacing a manager is to replace him with someone better than you had we managed the exact opposite last summer.

Child: "Are we there, yet?"

Adult: "No, dear, we have to leave our town, get on the motorway, and drive for 35 miles."

Child: "Are we there yet? It's going to be a disaster, if you keep me waiting for my tea."

Adult: "It will be about 40 minutes until we get there."

Child: "Are you kidding me? That's too long. Why does it always take too long?"

Adult: "Well, the traffic's bad today. Don't worry, dear; we'll be there before you know it."

Child: "You always say that. I don't trust you anymore."

Adult: "Well, I'm sorry about that. You'll just have to be patient, won't you."

Child: "What are you hiding? We should be there by now."

Adult: "No, dear; it always takes about this long, but things happen to slow us down a bit."

[pause]

Child: "Are we there yet?"

Adult: "No. Why do you always kick up a fuss?"

Child: "I'm hungry. I want something to eat."

Adult: "You'll just have to wait; we're almost there."

Child: "You always say that. Anyway, I think I need to pee."

Adult: "Too bad, dear; you'll have to hold it. Not long now."

Child: "Are we there yet?"

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Not sure how ITK this one is, so usual 'pinch of salt' caveat....

QeNr3bR90nGK9nj_XU8jsOA9ltqBr-ihhNwPytaKgkRdrG0Q63Fi_XeC89Yr1nqwctzKlH4pTH0Jc0ucY0SWmMoXyXXBRKfNvEpfAiTfArLaKlXMmcv7v7a1qr1pOW9-6sNaURzGkOobsDoM63i_JPNj5F67vDoQgyJnMRT4DhpIk14h4uI0hBlGIUtStYnjNSzTAMBc-rdEGwUVEMfNbCHBGlGXR6iYq5ktCTioGIBkeivVnE3O1fQFZo0ZWxW4CPfefRILzvZfgdLij23W7utpnyGxNpJGaBmYbs2Ar2JG4fEdBgUy8URIu72kvaxBK-w5g0GHSBfr_gRq2nZnDgLoW-4ViW0p24hnzSwvuDubnFgGKWzSu1_smNatJSIQBjYW4ePV6IgzewhWEpUB8cUMsphgrCKFy47CRUGh56t1aKz9rg8k4OG_Py4sHGbBDjsGuq8pr3PvFFaVp_4IF3Rt3m0zWj2groOqY2aJWyClWg4AakG89zTiZLInSrd-CJFNSK5Yskf9R45bJys5hl021z8XZ9RihML-rCUic485CSkgjCOaCo0UmrrQJ-n58sWedR5GJbAPDklG0mNqzbrOWEH4hBWp8GTGqaTC=w730-h146-no

It’s all but done and just waiting for the lawyers to do their bit......

Lawyers we use are very representative of the club given how much they drag their arses

It’s amazing how long we take in signing a manager who is already here

Edited by Batman

The continual delays and dilly dallying on appointing the new manager shows that the Board haven't learned a thing from last seasons fiasco. Time for Krueger and Reed to step down and for new brooms to sweep clean. ?

We don't know the reasons why this hasn't been sorted yet,but it does APPEAR that Sloth FC continue to do things in their own , drawn out , pathetic way. Repeat of last season? Don't rule it out.

REdmond is a perfectly good player who has been badly mismanaged. That's why Pep G took him aside at Man C for a sympathetic chat. He could still come good

Redmond is a player who has only shown flashes of being any good, tbf. Too much sideways and back, too little use of his pace. Terrible finisher. On the whole have been very underwhelmed by him and, actually, no-one knows what Pep said to him. I reckon he said something along the lines of 'why don't you use your talent?'. Would echo that. Rarely does.

I heard it was agreed but he’s since been told no funds for transfers except what he generates through sales. VVD money not available - Hughes has asked for £50M for transfers but been told no. He’s said he’s off on family holiday from this weekend and if not sorted by then he’s walking away.

Happy days!

I heard it was agreed but he’s since been told no funds for transfers except what he generates through sales. VVD money not available - Hughes has asked for £50M for transfers but been told no. He’s said he’s off on family holiday from this weekend and if not sorted by then he’s walking away.

Happy days!

Worrying question is - where’s the money going?

Happy days!

Oh good...

Happy days!

Tin pot club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy days!

Da Fuq??!!

Worrying question is - where’s the money going?

Spent £220m buying 80% of SFC - £50m = £170m now to recoup.

If we stay in the Prem' trying to survive on a shoe string, the winnings will likely mean that the £170m will recouped in around 4-5 years.

Good business, if we can stay up.

Crap for us fans. But he is a businessman so why should he give flying **** about us.

It's all a bit iffy.

He was apparently going to be announced last week, then that was changed to late last week, then that got changed to early this week, and now we're almost into Thursday and still nothing. It was probably the easiest appointment we could make, he was already in situ, seemed quite happy and had an understanding of it all.

But apparently not.

The bull with the lawyers delay seems like the club trying to spin the blame to someone else, as they do with everything that doesn't go right. (Suing Atletico for e.g)

Something doesn't seem right about that with me.

As much as I appreciate the job he did here he still lost 50% of his games. Add to that he pretty much got stoke relegated. I can't imagine he is in much of a position to demand anything really. He won't be getting another PL job by the start of the season. No doubt at some point teams will start sacking managers due to fear of going down and do the fat Sam, Pardew etc merry go round again. So he could get a job possibly at that point.

I can't imagine him walking away from the job. Maybe only if it looks like a hiding to nothing ie selling players and not being able to replace them with same/better players.

It's all a bit iffy.

He was apparently going to be announced last week, then that was changed to late last week, then that got changed to early this week, and now we're almost into Thursday and still nothing. It was probably the easiest appointment we could make, he was already in situ, seemed quite happy and had an understanding of it all.

But apparently not.

The bull with the lawyers delay seems like the club trying to spin the blame to someone else, as they do with everything that doesn't go right. (Suing Atletico for e.g)

MLG will be along to tell you off in a minute.