Mark Hughes

arfurdent

I have heard from a source connected to Saints (Sponsers of Football League in Kenya) that Hughes is 80% likely to get the job, but Les Reed and W have shortlisted another manager like MoPe and MoPo but the plans are being re-buffed from above them. Odd

Appreciate the news mate. ITKs always welcome.

Light n love from Scotland

Ekon’s Twitter account started mid March 2018. He somehow knows the euphemistic and sarcastic use of the word “pal” (posts above) but in his tweets says he hopes we beat “Wigone Utd” in the cup....[emoji848][emoji848] Trying a bit too hard methinks....1/10.

If they're stalling on Hughes then I would hope it's because they're waiting to see if Jokanovic gets Fulham promoted. If he doesn't then I'd try and get him. Other than that then we should stick with Hughes. He did enough to warrant a deal.

This name has been on here for some time, and at one point I thought this might have been the bloke we were waiting for. Downside of this though is that he hasn't managed in the Premier League before.

And you are a liar, Do you have attention issues ?

simo, he is possibly 100% wrong but then again he might be 100% correct. I really don’t see the need to call him a liar. Too strong a word for me.

This name has been on here for some time, and at one point I thought this might have been the bloke we were waiting for. Downside of this though is that he hasn't managed in the Premier League before.

And before Hughes- nor have any of the previous 4.

simo, he is possibly 100% wrong but then again he might be 100% correct. I really don’t see the need to call him a liar. Too strong a word for me.

Where have inside sources confirmed anything?

It’s all signed, sealed and delivered.

Was going to be announced on Friday but delay in the paperwork, MH to be announced Monday

Thanks for the update, think he deserves the opportunity.

I am the least ITK person on this forum.

This was given to me by someone, who has given me what turned out to be accurate info in the past.

Bowen and Niedzwiecki have agreed contracts and theirs are all sorted. Sparkies was delayed by a few small details including his re-assurances over Les Reeds influence (or lack of). The contract details are all now settled and once officially agreed and signed off by all parties, the announcement will be made, probably Monday. As someone above mentioned A N Other manager was put forward by LR, but this was quickly kicked into the long grass by the rest of the board.

This was given to me by someone, who has given me what turned out to be accurate info in the past.

Bowen and Niedzwiecki have agreed contracts and theirs are all sorted. Sparkies was delayed by a few small details including his re-assurances over Les Reeds influence (or lack of). The contract details are all now settled and once officially agreed and signed off by all parties, the announcement will be made, probably Monday. As someone above mentioned A N Other manager was put forward by LR, but this was quickly kicked into the long grass by the rest of the board.

getting the same vibe from those I know. Very pleased.

Perhaps the forum user who called me a Liar will be able to calm down now, I wish him well for the future

If Les Reed is now being walked over then it's probably the beginning of the end for his tenure at SFC.

If Les Reed is now being walked over then it's probably the beginning of the end for his tenure at SFC.

I have no reason to not believe it, but I wonder who Hughes in negotiating with about Les' lack of involvement.

Because Les is usually the negotiator.

As someone above mentioned A N Other manager was put forward by LR, but this was quickly kicked into the long grass by the rest of the board.

Interesting. Ties in a bit with something I was told a few weeks ago by someone with behind the scenes connections. HE alluded that LR is rapidly becoming 'persona non grata' with the owners/board, but he can't be gotten rid of due to a watertight contract. Maybe they'll try and force his hand a bit by taking him out of the decision making loop.

Would be interesting to know who he proposed as the other option. Hopefully Reed doesn't like Hughes because he isn't a yes man and he can't really influence him too much.

Interesting. Ties in a bit with something I was told a few weeks ago by someone with behind the scenes connections. HE alluded that LR is rapidly becoming 'persona non grata' with the owners/board, but he can't be gotten rid of due to a watertight contract. Maybe they'll try and force his hand a bit by taking him out of the decision making loop.

Les Reed being the last Remnant of the Cortese regime in the club hierarchy.

I have no reason to not believe it, but I wonder who Hughes in negotiating with about Les' lack of involvement.

Because Les is usually the negotiator.

No reason to think that LR is not doing the negotiating. But 'IF' (and that's a big IF) his influence is diminishing, perhaps that's why he suggested Mr A N Other, as opposed to Sparky who does not give the impression of being a 'Yes Man' and further diminishing his influence. Just a suggestion.

Also if he is negotiating with Sparky, this reduced influence, would affect LR's bargaining position.

The above is pure supposition based on no known facts at all.

No reason to think that LR is not doing the negotiating. But 'IF' (and that's a big IF) his influence is diminishing, perhaps that's why he suggested Mr A N Other, as opposed to Sparky who does not give the impression of being a 'Yes Man' and further diminishing his influence. Just a suggestion.

Also if he is negotiating with Sparky, this reduced influence, would affect LR's bargaining position.

The above is pure supposition based on no known facts at all.

Understood. Cheers for sharing.

Hughes as coach, who is the face of Saints on match days. Yes, please. Hughes the DoF as well. No, thanks.

This. A return to the all powerful manager will send us straight back to the championship. If Hughes is demanding this then I want someone else.

So what? We have Ralph making the footballing decisions now? or the owner has know decided he is an expert in English football? I realise a lot of people hate Les with a passion but of the current club hierarchy he is the only one with a bit of football knowledge. I certainly don't want Hughes (or any manager) given carte blanche to do what he wants. If Les is on his way out the club really needs to get someone with a football background as DoF I dread to think what it will be like if we get Ralph and some random Lander management bloke running the show.

Hughes as coach, who is the face of Saints on match days. Yes, please. Hughes the DoF as well. No, thanks.

I would imagine it's more a case of not wanting to be dictated to like the last couple of incumbents. He'll have his work cut out just controlling a bunch of prima donna players.

I think one of our biggest problems has been that while embedding a football philosophy through the club is a good thing, ours got outdated. Possession football and 4-2-3-1 has been overtaken a bit by counter attacking football and 5 at the back, and sometimes the manager needs to power to be able to change that if things aren't working on the pitch. So more autonomy for the manager in terms of the style of play and formation is all good.

Power over transfers less so. But surely the board will have seen our track record of manager-led signings and not given carte blanche on that front - one can only hope

I would imagine it's more a case of not wanting to be dictated to like the last couple of incumbents. He'll have his work cut out just controlling a bunch of prima donna players.

Its pretty clear Puel was not a "yes" man and wasn't dictated to. If anything the picture that emerges of Puel is someone who will do things his way come what may even if it means upsetting senior players.

Sounds good to me

Was hoping we could look beyond Mark Hughes, but it seems unlikely with our board. We are going to be in trouble once more next season, and Hughes isn't the man to save us.

well he did pretty well in saving us this season and by getting them to play a style of football much more watchable than the previous two managers so I’m not sure what you base that logic on. If you told me six months ago I would be happy with Hughes as manager I would have laughed at you but fairs fair, he came in, did what very few expected and kept us up. For that alone he deserves a chance.

I understood it as he was being given the opportunity to find new employment, almost as a face saving exercise.

So what? We have Ralph making the footballing decisions now? or the owner has know decided he is an expert in English football? I realise a lot of people hate Les with a passion but of the current club hierarchy he is the only one with a bit of football knowledge. I certainly don't want Hughes (or any manager) given carte blanche to do what he wants. If Les is on his way out the club really needs to get someone with a football background as DoF I dread to think what it will be like if we get Ralph and some random Lander management bloke running the show.

We do need a DoF. Just not Les Reed. A good DoF (actually any good manager) works with his team, gets input, then makes decisions. Get the impression that Les Reed does none of these things. The days when managers did everything are long gone. Just need to get someone in who will work with MH and everyone else

Forum needs good posters with opinions and passion.

More opinionated idiots, does this forum really need that?

I'm teaching an online English lesson this evening and what came to mind reading this thread was some more work on collocations and reinforcing adjectives: sometimes there's a choice and we have personal preferences. "Utter w*nker" and "Absolute w*nker" were the two that came to mind. Do any of you use alternatives?

In all of this debate where does Carillo fit in? A panic buy for sure, but who instigated and who had the ultimate approval. Did Reed push for it (if so why!?) or was he overruled. What was the involvement of the manager and the dynamic between the two? Perhaps Landford saint et al. can canvass the opinions of those closer to the club than us grunt fans?

If true, it suggests that Les Reed is pulling in his own direction rather than the club's.

I reckon the last few windows, his choice of managers and his son's agency have fatally wounded him.

That and Hughes seeing right through him, and seemingly sidelining him.

If Les stays, I can't see his influence spreading beyond the lines mown on the pitch.