Mark Hughes

arfurdent

I'm not remotely worried by the time it's taking. These things often take a little time to work out. For comparison of previous managers we've hired in the summer, Koeman was announced in mid-June and Puel/Pellegrino both towards the end of June.

Completely and utterly different situations.

Previously, we had to wait for the incumbent manager to leave which in MP and Koeman’s case was long drawn out and then had to go through a recruitment process. With Hughes, he’s basically sitting in our lap and so should be a near formality.

Completely and utterly different situations.

Previously, we had to wait for the incumbent manager to leave which in MP and Koeman’s case was long drawn out and then had to go through a recruitment process. With Hughes, he’s basically sitting in our lap and so should be a near formality.

I'd like to assume the club had already worked out a contingency in whether we stayed up or not, in that Hughes would have been a fine candidate if we'd have gone down anyway.

Plus, once the Swansea game was done they just needed to firm up plan A. Really then they could have got this done by the Monday/Tuesday after Man City.

For the situation we are/were in, the "these things take time" argument really is utter horsesh it.

I'd like to assume the club had already worked out a contingency in whether we stayed up or not, in that Hughes would have been a fine candidate if we'd have gone down anyway.

Plus, once the Swansea game was done they just needed to firm up plan A. Really then they could have got this done by the Monday/Tuesday after Man City.

For the situation we are/were in, the "these things take time" argument really is utter horsesh it.

Considering the club tell us, with the so called black box, they know who is going to be the next manager and what players they are going to sign years in advanced you'd like to think so.

Maybe they didn't pay for the upgrade for the football manager game, after all that's basically all the black box is.

Krueger will just look like a bullsh*tter who was trying to con people into getting season tickets, if Hughes isn't appointed.

His comments in his recent interview suggested that Hughes appointment was virtually a done deal. Hopefully that's still the case.

I appreciate these things take time but given the background and Krueger’s comments last week this is starting to look farcical

Is it impossible for our club, just once, to look in control and decisive ??? We currently look second rate and tin pot. Even Wham look more competent ffs!

I heard it was agreed but he’s since been told no funds for transfers except what he generates through sales. VVD money not available - Hughes has asked for £50M for transfers but been told no. He’s said he’s off on family holiday from this weekend and if not sorted by then he’s walking away.

Happy days!

Ralph has already said that in a public interview its not like the club are keeping it a secret. Judging that our alleged wage bill takes up most of the TV money its not really a surprise we have to sell to buy. I'm not sure its a massive problem we could probably sack off at least half dozen of our ****e players to make that sort of money. I'd quiet happily see any of this lot sold to raise funds Boufal, Forster, Hoedt, Gudio, Long, Clasie, JWP, Stephens, Targett, Reed, Redmond and Hoj . The big issue I see is where has the rest of the, minus Gudio and Celtic, VVD money has gone?

Ralph has already said that in a public interview its not like the club are keeping it a secret. Judging that our alleged wage bill takes up most of the TV money its not really a surprise we have to sell to buy. I'm not sure its a massive problem we could probably sack off at least half dozen of our ****e players to make that sort of money. I'd quiet happily see any of this lot sold to raise funds Boufal, Forster, Hoedt, Gudio, Long, Clasie, JWP, Stephens, Targett, Reed, Redmond and Hoj . The big issue I see is where has the rest of the, minus Gudio and Celtic, VVD money has gone?

Our wage-to-turnover ratio isn’t really out of line with the rest of the league. I don’t see other clubs stating they have to sell to buy.

Our wage-to-turnover ratio isn’t really out of line with the rest of the league. I don’t see other clubs stating they have to sell to buy.

Financial Fair Play limits the spending on the team to be within income (over a rolling 3year period). Even Abramovich, if he overcomes his visa problem, can’t plough money into the team which is why at least one paper is saying Chelsea may have sell Hazard in order to buy players this summer.

Quite - I think some serious questions would need to be asked of the owner and board if the VVD money couldn’t be accounted for, HMRC asking the questions let alone the fans - not suggesting it has but responding to the earlier post about needing to sell to buy. Hopefully not the case and a BS rumour posted but the club bring it in themselves by being so glacially slow in how they do business.

The club still have a lot of deadwood to clear too - probably 15 players including releases - but it shouldn’t be sell to buy.

Financial Fair Play limits the spending on the team to be within income (over a rolling 3year period). Even Abramovich, if he overcomes his visa problem, can’t plough money into the team which is why at least one paper is saying Chelsea may have sell Hazard in order to buy players this summer.

Explain how clubs with less income than us have consistently outspent us in net terms over the past few seasons. Stop running down blind rabbit holes pal.

Edited by shurlock

I fear that if Hughes won’t get his targets then he’s not coming.

Great position to be in for him as it’s a win, win situation.

If Hughes moves on then I fear for us because it means the next manager in will have his hands tied.

The big issue I see is where has the rest of the, minus Gudio and Celtic, VVD money has gone?

Paying off the clown and his clownettes, appointing Hughes and his backroom staff, the much reported bonus for Hughes for keeping us up and the approximate £15 million difference from finishing 8th to this seasons 17th.

Paying off the clown and his clownettes, appointing Hughes and his backroom staff, the much reported bonus for Hughes for keeping us up and the approximate £15 million difference from finishing 8th to this seasons 17th.

Why would the finishing 17th instead of 8th eat into the VVD money? It’s completely separate.

Last thing I saw on the web reckoned we have a wage bill of £92 million this season we got a £107 million in TV money (assuming that's correct it is the internet after all) that doesn't leave a lot of TV money left for buying players as far as I can see. Whether you agree with it or not the club haven't (at least since Cortese left) ever hidden that they want to run a self sustainable club not spending more than they make.

I fear that if Hughes won’t get his targets then he’s not coming.

Great position to be in for him as it’s a win, win situation.

If Hughes moves on then I fear for us because it means the next manager in will have his hands tied.

This.

Why does the board find it so bloody difficult to start the summer of with strong in a positive manner? We had a chance this year to move forward in a positive manner, a positive statement by getting Hughes signed on a contract. Keeping his team in place, who had a transformational affect on the team performances, if not all results.

In a summer where it should be obvious that there will be player comings and goings, when the transfer window is already open, and when it closes early, when we are not even encumbered by a significant number of players away at the world cup, so hopefully can get them all in for the start of pre-season and start the new season with a bang, we faff about. I hope the appointment is confirmed tomorrow, we really need to get this done quickly. Comparisons with dates that previous managers signed contracts are absolutely meaningless. We need to show intent, as much to show that there is a change of attitude at the club, lessons have been learnt, and the **** ups of the last 2 seasons have been put behind us.

Last thing I saw on the web reckoned we have a wage bill of £92 million this season we got a £107 million in TV money (assuming that's correct it is the internet after all) that doesn't leave a lot of TV money left for buying players as far as I can see. Whether you agree with it or not the club haven't (at least since Cortese left) ever hidden that they want to run a self sustainable club not spending more than they make.

We are the only premier league club that has to sell before buying. Simple as that

That would just be what we were paying MoPe and his backroom staff anyway. Plus I highly doubt we're budgeting on finishing 8th or better ever season, sounds a bit Leeds Utd to me.

Why would the finishing 17th instead of 8th eat into the VVD money? It’s completely separate.

Not necessarily, we might have had to use some of the VVD money to make up a shortfall in revenue from finishing 8th to 17th.

If Hughes doesn't want to work within the framework and budgets decided by his bosses, **** him, there's plenty that will. Thanks for the 8 games, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out. Personally, I'd have thought he'd be begging us to take him on, he was pretty much washed up as a top flight manager until we throw him a life line. What other club is going to take him. Enjoy your break until Jan time when someone in the shiete may give you another chance.

I would prefer Hughes because I think he deserves it and also it'll give us some stability . But it's not exactly the end of the world if we have to look elsewhere. People wetting their knickers because Mark Hughes doesn't want to manage us, **** me, have we sunk that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Hughes doesn't want to work within the framework and budgets decided by his bosses, **** him, there's plenty that will. Thanks for the 8 games, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out. Personally, I'd have thought he'd be begging us to take him on, he was pretty much washed up as a top flight manager until we throw him a life line. What other club is going to take him. Enjoy your break until Jan time when someone in the shiete may give you another chance.

I would prefer Hughes because I think he deserves it and also it'll give us some stability . But it's not exactly the end of the world if we have to look elsewhere. People wetting their knickers because Mark Hughes doesn't want to manage us, **** me, have we sunk that low.

It not about Hughes, I think the faith in the 3 amigos getting it right on an alternative is vertically rock bottom

Okay Les.

Not necessarily, we might have had to use some of the VVD money to make up a shortfall in revenue from finishing 8th to 17th.

Yep, our revenue is down massively. Then there's the fact that the VVD money is not sat in the bank. People seem to think that the headline sales figures = exactly the same amount available to buy players. Nuts. Seemingly, not a penny is needed for the sell on clauses, loyalty bonuses, agents fees, signing on fees, running the club, paying debt, paying up old managers etc. Then there's the Carrillo purchase, agents fees for that, etc etc. We ain't rolling in cash.

Someone asked me earlier what a 'yes man' is when I suggested that the club probably want one of them. Hughes clearly ain't a yes man. I speculated that he wants a say on the policy of the playing side, which would include a transfer kitty. The last 2 managers have been coaches tasked with taking training and picking the team - Hughes is a different animal. I suspect that if the club don't bend to him, he won't bend to it.

I really thought the club had a great chance to turn things around a bit after that abortion of a season. Appoint Hughes early doors, put some bullsh*t statements out about unity and purpose and marching on together as one, get a nice early signing in before the world Cup and get everyone excited for a full pre season in China and starting the new season with a bang. Instead we get the paralysis and the dithering before possibly Hughes walking away, us smearing him in the press or some other PR to cover our a*ses and hide the fact that we have no money and bringing in another no mark coach from the continent or a young English coach with little experience to continue the inept football.

I think Ralph was telling the truth about us being a small club- expectations have clearly been reined in since the new guys took over and showed no interest in investing in the club other than setting up some pointless Chinese academies that no one in England gives a tinkers cuss about. Continue on this path and we will have further disillusionment, the malaise will continue and we will be down within three years and I can't see us returning.

I really thought the club had a great chance to turn things around a bit after that abortion of a season. Appoint Hughes early doors, put some bullsh*t statements out about unity and purpose and marching on together as one, get a nice early signing in before the world Cup and get everyone excited for a full pre season in China and starting the new season with a bang. Instead we get the paralysis and the dithering before possibly Hughes walking away, us smearing him in the press or some other PR to cover our a*ses and hide the fact that we have no money and bringing in another no mark coach from the continent or a young English coach with little experience to continue the inept football.

I think Ralph was telling the truth about us being a small club- expectations have clearly been reined in since the new guys took over and showed no interest in investing in the club other than setting up some pointless Chinese academies that no one in England gives a tinkers cuss about. Continue on this path and we will have further disillusionment, the malaise will continue and we will be down within three years and I can't see us returning.

It is like we may as well have gone down. All the talk from Ralph about the season gone not being acceptable and starting to do business early was the usual fluff from the club. That is the way it is shaping

No doubt we have enquired about Arteta and other types with zero experience and very cheap

we will know when it is off when the ITKs here along with Jeremy Wilson start telling us Hughes was demanding too much etc. Saints spin machine is a well oiled beast

Edited by Batman

It's not that though. We've said he fits like a glove but still take longer than WHU and Stoke take to sack, source and announce a manager. It doesn't bode well because it's the same behaviours that saw us balls up signing centre backs and attackers in recent windows and appoint terrible managers.

I agree with you re Hughes - his stock ain't that high and he won't get a better job in England this summer, he can drop to the Championship or just wait until soneone (Neil Warnock) is sacked.

Which is why our current inertia is baffling. We'll be in a competitive field of one with a manager whose current salary we already know and we still can't do it.

At some point one has accept that the club is run by imbeciles.

Edited by CB Fry

That explains him wanting to buy a sister club.

The panic on here is excruciating.

Yep, our revenue is down massively. Then there's the fact that the VVD money is not sat in the bank. People seem to think that the headline sales figures = exactly the same amount available to buy players. Nuts. Seemingly, not a penny is needed for the sell on clauses, loyalty bonuses, agents fees, signing on fees, running the club, paying debt, paying up old managers etc. Then there's the Carrillo purchase, agents fees for that, etc etc. We ain't rolling in cash.

Someone asked me earlier what a 'yes man' is when I suggested that the club probably want one of them. Hughes clearly ain't a yes man. I speculated that he wants a say on the policy of the playing side, which would include a transfer kitty. The last 2 managers have been coaches tasked with taking training and picking the team - Hughes is a different animal. I suspect that if the club don't bend to him, he won't bend to it.

Why were we seemingly willing to splash 30 mil on Promes then? Where has that money gone? Or perhaps we were never seriously in for him and it was just to make it look like we were trying. Which i did wonder at the time...

That is the opposite of the Southampton Way mate. Apparently anyway. We march onwards down the pyramid.

Don't lose hope though. We will appoint him and make some BS statements. We'll just do it at an excruciatingly slow pace and waste weeks.

In reality, a championship and premier league level contract should have been drafted weeks ago. So many clubs that we have regarded as worse run than saints are so much better organised.

I simply refuse to panic as the club rarely lets us down.

When I panicked about Koeman leaving - club delivered

When I worried about replacing Mane, Pelle and Wanyama in same window - club delivered

VVD money - club delivered

Fonte replacement - club delivered

Replacing Puel - club delivered

Takeover concerns - club delivered

When I raised concerns about the momentum curve - club delivered

This club is as reliable as an Always_sfc and Micky PM

It's not that though. We've said he fits like a glove but still take longer than WHU and Stoke take to sack, source and announce a manager. It doesn't bode well because it's the same behaviours that saw us balls up signing centre backs and attackers in recent windows and appoint terrible managers.

I agree with you re Hughes - his stock ain't that high and he won't get a better job in England this summer, he can drop to the Championship or just wait until soneone (Neil Warnock) is sacked.

Which is why our current inertia is baffling. We'll be in a competitive field of one with a manager whose current salary we already know and we still can't do it.

The problem for me is that people don’t know Les’ remit. If we accept this new narrative that the new manager can only spend what he generates , did that come from the owner, or the 3 “imbeciles “. Les is a football man, there’s not 1 football man who doesn’t want to spend more money, so I’d imagine it came from above him. Les’ remit could be to go out and get the best manager possible under xyz conditions. Unless or until I know the conditions Les is forced to work under, I’m reluctant to slag him off. Clearly if a decent salary, transfer budget is in his gift and he’s dicking about, then he deserves all the clog he gets. However, it could be that Gao has given him a horrendous hospital pass and he’s trying to get a decent manager to accept that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem for me is that people don’t know Les’ remit. If we accept this new narrative that the new manager can only spend what he generates , did that come from the owner, or the 3 “imbeciles “. Les is a football man, there’s not 1 football man who doesn’t want to spend more money, so I’d imagine it came from above him. Les’ remit could be to go out and get the best manager possible under xyz conditions. Unless or until I know the conditions Les is forced to work under, I’m reluctant to slag him off. Clearly if a decent salary, transfer budget is in his gift and he’s dicking about, then he deserves all the clog he gets. However, it could be that Gao has given him a horrendous hospital pass and he’s trying to get a decent manager to accept that.

But then how do you explain January? Or the previous January? Are you suggesting that even with constraints it was an impossibility to get in a fonte replacement or a vvd replacement or a creative midfielder?

Why were we seemingly willing to splash 30 mil on Promes then? Where has that money gone? Or perhaps we were never seriously in for him and it was just to make it look like we were trying. Which i did wonder at the time...

Were we? Where does £15mil of lost revenue get found? The club ain't got a bottomless pot of money. Anyway, the point seems to be that Hughes wants cash to sign players whereas the club seem to want him to either polish a turd of a squad, or recycle the squad and use the cash. If that's the case, and it wouldn't surprise me, I can't blame him for saying goodbye.

Maybe so but Mark Hughes is not going to get a job better than the bottom third of the Prem.

And at this point I am not prepared to accept that the team that burned nineteen million quid on Carillo is unable to put a package together that would match up to a management role at that level at least. ie we can match what, say, Bournemouth or Huddersfield or Palace might put down.

We'll see but the track record is not good for me to give the current management any benefit of any doubt.

I think that answers your question.

I've been at that point for ages. And if the Gao's are not at that point then they too are imbeciles. It's just so obvious that SFC needs a shake up of management, recruitment and administration.

Not signing Alderweirald was a disappointment, but not Reed's fault.

Koeman walking, was nothing to do with Reed.

Not replacing Koeman adequately was a **** up.

Appointing Pellegrino was another cock up.

Not sacking Pellegrino until March...

But not appointing/retaining the manager already in place .. really does take Reed and the club to a new level of incompetence. The master of dither appears to have surpassed himself.

Were we? Where does £15mil of lost revenue get found? The club ain't got a bottomless pot of money. Anyway, the point seems to be that Hughes wants cash to sign players whereas the club seem to want him to either polish a turd of a squad, or recycle the squad and use the cash. If that's the case, and it wouldn't surprise me, I can't blame him for saying goodbye.

Maybe it doesn't have a bottomless pit and some players will go. But I fail to believe a club that has racked in a profit from transfers for the last 4 seasons, has had record income from TV money and only 4 months ago sold a player for a world record fee, whilst recording tens of millions of pounds of profit last accounts hasn't got a least a few quid to spend without having to sell first. You say the van Dijk money sent just sitting in the bank,there are instalment payments, agents fees, managers to pay up, running costs etc, but guess what? Every other club has those as well. Every club pays transfer fees in installments, why are we any different? I simply dont buy this BS any more, you can only blame Corteses over spending for so long. We recorded huge profits last year whilst the club got away with relegation. They seriously need to back Hughes or whoever comes in, the squad needs and injection of quality and experience and I don't believe the money isn't there to do it, maybe the desire is though.

I've been at that point for ages. And if the Gao's are not at that point then they too are imbeciles. It's just so obvious that SFC needs a shake up of management, recruitment and administration.

The buck stops with Kruger at the end of the day and he is with monotonous regularity proving that he just cannot manage this club with any confidence and authority. Every time a leaf blows off the tree in his path it is mountain to him that he can never climb so he just turns around, falls asleep and hopes the leaf will blow away because he ain’t going to find his way round it....

If he didn’t keep putting up the BS smoke screens it wouldn’t be quite as bad but he just continues his weak propaganda messages that mean the sum total F all....

I am actually starting to feel for Less Reed having to work with this individual....

I think it's perfectly legit of Hughes to have assurances of what he can spend and reshape the squad how he sees fit, I love the fact he doesn't seem to be a man who will get told what to do with regards to the squad and has a bit of steel about him. I'm sure when he signs it'll be because he is happy that he has a semblance of control and that's fine by me. I reckon he will sign before the end of the week when Les relinquishes some control and then we can enjoy the world cup... Hmmmm.

I think it's perfectly legit of Hughes to have assurances of what he can spend and reshape the squad how he sees fit, I love the fact he doesn't seem to be a man who will get told what to do with regards to the squad and has a bit of steel about him. I'm sure when he signs it'll be because he is happy that he has a semblance of control and that's fine by me. I reckon he will sign before the end of the week when Les relinquishes some control and then we can enjoy the world cup... Hmmmm.

But if he can't agree the contract, or terms under which he's prepared to work, we are left with Reed doing the recruitment for a third summer in row. So far each one has been worst than the last.

Maybe it doesn't have a bottomless pit and some players will go. But I fail to believe a club that has racked in a profit from transfers for the last 4 seasons, has had record income from TV money and only 4 months ago sold a player for a world record fee, whilst recording tens of millions of pounds of profit last accounts hasn't got a least a few quid to spend without having to sell first. You say the van Dijk money sent just sitting in the bank,there are instalment payments, agents fees, managers to pay up, running costs etc, but guess what? Every other club has those as well. Every club pays transfer fees in installments, why are we any different? I simply dont buy this BS any more, you can only blame Corteses over spending for so long. We recorded huge profits last year whilst the club got away with relegation. They seriously need to back Hughes or whoever comes in, the squad needs and injection of quality and experience and I don't believe the money isn't there to do it, maybe the desire is though.

Del, I agree we need to invest. I'm not saying we necessarily have to sell to buy. What frustrates me is the belief by many that cos we sell a player for 70 odd million that we now have 70 odd million to spend! It doesn't work like that. Taking the Carillo cost, the Celtic cut from the VVD deal, agents fees on those 2 deals, signing on fees, I reckon there's a max of £35mil surplus from them. Then there's Puel, Pellegrino, their staff to pay off. The TV money goes a long way to paying wages and general running costs. Sure we should be able to spend a but, but we ain't minted and I can't see £50mil kicking around.