Mark Hughes

arfurdent

Those were the basics I would have expected the previous two managers to do, but they didn't. Hughes has proved he can regularly get teams to finish above the 10th place you mention. He well have done so again this past season with Stoke, we will never know.

If he is appointed (and I fully expect him to be) that will not say to me that the board have given up any hope of us qualifying for Europe again; it will say to me that they have realised the way forward is with an experienced manager for our level, not someone with an unimpressive record in another country (such as his predecessor).

Last summer many were calling for Puel's head - look where that got us!

Now that I have answered your questions, perhaps you will answer a few of mine:

Why do you think Hughes won't be able to qualify us for a European campaign?

Do you think we have, and will have, a worse squad than Stoke had for 3 of the past 4 seasons? If so, where do you think they were superior to the squad we are likely to go into the new season with?

Who, realistically, do you think we could appoint who could guarantee us better results than the past two seasons and better than Sparky could achieve with us?

A number of managers dont manage the basics every season. Hughes wasnt exactly mastering them at Stoke and that is why they sacked him. I expect they didnt expect him to get them up to 10th last season. I didnt say that Hughes wouldnt get us into Europe, but he doesnt have a record of getting clubs like us into Europe, only keeping them up. I think we have a better squad than Stoke. I am not sure what your point is. We are talking about the manager. Are you saying he will do better here because he has a better squad? I dont think it works that way. Who else could guarantee better results? You cant guarantee better results no matter who you bring in. It will always be a gamble, although some more so than others. Sparky only won 2 out of 8, albeit in difficult circumstances, so if he stays, lets hope his record improves eh? As for who else - it is not my job to put forward other prospective managers (thank goodness) and we are told that the club are constantly monitoring prospective managers and players, so you would imagine they would have a few other names on a list. If you were to press me I would hope that Slavisa Jokanovic's name would be on that list. I would imagine that there are plenty more up and coming managers that we could interview rather than just go with a steady journeyman manager with a patchy record. As has been said many times before, if Hughes had been suggested as Puel's successor this time last year this place would have gone into meltdown and the Board accused of having no ambition. Has beating Swansea and Bournemouth really changed things so much that now Hughes is the only one who can take us forward?

A number of managers dont manage the basics every season. Hughes wasnt exactly mastering them at Stoke and that is why they sacked him. I expect they didnt expect him to get them up to 10th last season. I didnt say that Hughes wouldnt get us into Europe, but he doesnt have a record of getting clubs like us into Europe, only keeping them up. I think we have a better squad than Stoke. I am not sure what your point is. We are talking about the manager. Are you saying he will do better here because he has a better squad? I dont think it works that way. Who else could guarantee better results? You cant guarantee better results no matter who you bring in. It will always be a gamble, although some more so than others. Sparky only won 2 out of 8, albeit in difficult circumstances, so if he stays, lets hope his record improves eh? As for who else - it is not my job to put forward other prospective managers (thank goodness) and we are told that the club are constantly monitoring prospective managers and players, so you would imagine they would have a few other names on a list. If you were to press me I would hope that Slavisa Jokanovic's name would be on that list. I would imagine that there are plenty more up and coming managers that we could interview rather than just go with a steady journeyman manager with a patchy record. As has been said many times before, if Hughes had been suggested as Puel's successor this time last year this place would have gone into meltdown and the Board accused of having no ambition. Has beating Swansea and Bournemouth really changed things so much that now Hughes is the only one who can take us forward?

I don't think anyone on here doubts that there are better managers out there than Hughes, it just that after last season not many trust Les to find him.

Well written and it totally makes sense.

Im not trying to become a Hughes basher, far from it.

Just want excitement and good results again.

Strachan's record with Coventry was sh*te before joining us.

Sometimes managers and teams simply click. Hughes managed the nigh-on impossible in keeping us up. Have some of you forgotten how truly sh*te and disinterested our players were against Newcastle and WHam ?

I don't think anyone on here doubts that there are better managers out there than Hughes, it just that after last season not many trust Les to find him.

Yep 100% agree.

If we had appointed Mark Hughes last summer then most would have been disapointed. However he came in and kept up a team that was destined for the Championship. Yes we only won 2 out of 8 but we only had 3 of thse games at home and 2 of them were against Chelsea and Man City. Ohter than the West Ham game Saints perfoamces improved.

Right now we can't afford to take a chance on another unknown.

That together with fannying around for much longer than needed, so we have less time to settle and prepare than we should do.

If Cortese was nothing else he was decisive, whereas Dr Bunsen and his other Lab co-horts just seem to have their fingers crossed and wait and sees what turns up.

Sparky seems a good fit for us and he will provide a discipline and organisation we have so lacked since RonKo left us after being tired of Bunsen and Co's fannying around. He is well capable of building a good well drilled squad, playing some decent football again and getting us into Europe.

I understand people say we must be patient, but over the experiences of the past 2 seasons I have no faith in Les/Lesley and his mates to deliver.

Yep 100% agree.

If we had appointed Mark Hughes last summer then most would have been disapointed. However he came in and kept up a team that was destined for the Championship. Yes we only won 2 out of 8 but we only had 3 of thse games at home and 2 of them were against Chelsea and Man City. Ohter than the West Ham game Saints perfoamces improved.

Right now we can't afford to take a chance on another unknown.

And you have to consider that we only lost away at Arsenal and home to Man City as well as missing out on 3 points at Everton by conceding goals late deep into injury time despite while playing well in those matches. Then you've also got to scratch your head how we threw away a 2 goal lead against Chelsea despite clearly being the better side until 20 mins from the end. He still managed to lift the players and kept us up.

And you have to consider that we only lost away at Arsenal and home to Man City as well as missing out on 3 points at Everton by conceding goals late deep into injury time despite while playing well in those matches. Then you've also got to scratch your head how we threw away a 2 goal lead against Chelsea despite clearly being the better side until 20 mins from the end. He still managed to lift the players and kept us up.

I don't think you do have to scratch your head very hard. Making terrible defensive mistakes where a hallmark of the season. We'd been throwing away leads, conceding late goals and generally looking a mess at the back all season.

After Chelsea Hughes switched to five at the back because our defence was so bloody awful. Even after switching to five at the back our defense still looked **** poor. We where lucky McCarthy hit some serious form when he did. Several end of the season games basically swung on the fingertips of McCarthy's hands.

Yes, Hughes was sacked by Stoke at the beginning of January with them in the relegation zone. As I said, no one knows whether or not Stoke would have been relegated had they not sacked him. What is know, however, is that the previous 3 seasons he led to finish 9th in the table.

You state that it is your belief that Saints have, and have had, a better squad than Stoke. Therefore one could could easily come to the conclusion that he COULD get that better squad to a higher finishing position. Just 2 places higher would almost certainly European football. Yet you feel that in appointing Hughes the board would be giving up any ambition to get Saints back into Europe, and that they are only aiming to finish 10th. How can this be? Why couldn't he finish higher than he has done for 3 of the past 4 seasons given a better squad?

Now, maybe he will and maybe he won't but the logical conclusion is that given a better workforce a manager should attain better results - no matter what the business. No? Or are you saying that if we swap squads - entirely - with Manchester City that Pep will get this Southampton squad to finish as champions, whilst Saints would be in relegation scrap fielding the likes of Aguero, Silva, Jesus, Sterling, Otamendi, Walker, et al? Of the course the squad (work force) makes a difference.

You say that appointing Hughes would show a lack of ambition, yet cannot offer any serious possible alternative. Jokanovic may well get Fulham promoted on Saturday. Why would he want to leave then then? Why would Fulham even allow us to talk to him? Then again, maybe Fulham will lose to Villa. Would that make Bruce the better manager? Should we try to get him? Is he so different from Hughes managerially?

Yes, Saints only won twice under Hughes since he took over. A Saints team that many on here thought would not get another single victory the way they were playing. Yet that 2 could easily have been 3; was it Sparky's fault that Bertrand didn't hit row Z with time up at Everton? Given a little bit of luck (of which we had very little in the season just gone) it could have been 4 or 5 wins. But, yes, it was only 2. How bad is he huh?

I remember a year ago you bleating on about how Saints didn't score in any of their last 5 home matches of the season. I am sure that it was Puel's fault that in those 5 matches players missed 2 penalties.

I am not (and I haven't seen anyone else say so) saying that Hughes is the ONLY option to take us forward. There are many managers who COULD take us forward. There are also many more who do far, far, worse than Sparky would - in my honest opinion. Who is to say that the board wouldn't appoint another Pellegrino? That, I believe, is far more likely than us Stealing Emery from under Arsenal's noses; or luring any of the world's top managers here. What I have seen is a Saints team start to play with desire and belief under Hughes. I have heard some of those players say how enjoyable it is to work under him. Those things give me the confidence that he could well be the right fit. I would certainly rather we signed him than took a throw of the dice over someone less experienced. Or maybe you want us to go for Moyes? Or Big Sam?

Oh, and I also remember many people saying (this time last year) anyone other than Puel. How did that work out?

Some good points Minsk.

Made me smile that you said maybe you want us to go for Moyes, or Big Sam? Well let's face it a few months ago Hughes would be right in that bracket. In fact maybe even a poor mans Big Sam.

I'm not that happy with him. Frankly the one and only reason we stayed up was the fact that Swansea lost their last ten games.

That said he's here, the players seem to like him and a lot of the fanbase seem to want him. I'm pretty sure he would keep us away from the bottom 3 next season so it's a low risk appointment for everyone.

Anyway like any manager he wont' be here long. If he's great he'll be off. If he's rubbish he'll be sacked. If he's just ok fans usually get bored with a manager after three years and want "progress".

Some good points Minsk.

Made me smile that you said maybe you want us to go for Moyes, or Big Sam? Well let's face it a few months ago Hughes would be right in that bracket. In fact maybe even a poor mans Big Sam.

I'm not that happy with him. Frankly the one and only reason we stayed up was the fact that Swansea lost their last ten games.

That said he's here, the players seem to like him and a lot of the fanbase seem to want him. I'm pretty sure he would keep us away from the bottom 3 next season so it's a low risk appointment for everyone.

Anyway like any manager he wont' be here long. If he's great he'll be off. If he's rubbish he'll be sacked. If he's just ok fans usually get bored with a manager after three years and want "progress".

Very fair assessment. And that last point applies to all the players too. Bit depressing really. The Prem is sewn up every year.

Hughes always tried to play attacking football with QPR and Man City when he was there. He was tasked with trying to make Stoke into a footballing side, but had no footballing defenders to work with and very little pace out wide.

I don't think it's really fair to compare him to BFS' and Moyes rigid counter-attacking styles.

Whether or not you rate him as a manager, I think he prefers to play football on the deck. He's also not naive enough to try to do that when he doesn't have the players for it, or when the players he does have are lacking composure.

Very fair assessment. And that last point applies to all the players too. Bit depressing really. The Prem is sewn up every year.

To be fair the PL has had 4 different winners in the last 6 years. It's far more open than most of the other big European leagues.

...... What I have seen is a Saints team start to play with desire and belief under Hughes. I have heard some of those players say how enjoyable it is to work under him. Those things give me the confidence that he could well be the right fit. I would certainly rather we signed him than took a throw of the dice over someone less experienced. Or maybe you want us to go for Moyes? Or Big Sam? ....

For me that is the most important thing. Admittedly desire and belief and confidence don't win points on their own, but without it even the best tactician in the world will struggle.

Yawn ..... we do provaricate terribly in these situations and I wonder why. Indecision is generally our philosophy, it is even a disease that gravitates to our forwards....

Christ we even had a trial period to prepare a contract, however I would guess very little preparation was done. We are often not prepared for situations and dither our way past the finishing line ....

Last summer was the ultimate joke with the indecision over Puel....

Our Chairman doesn’t really get things done because like the developing deteriorating situation with Pellegrino he doesn’t see issues arising and cannot see ahead...

Strachan's record with Coventry was sh*te before joining us.

Sometimes managers and teams simply click. Hughes managed the nigh-on impossible in keeping us up. Have some of you forgotten how truly sh*te and disinterested our players were against Newcastle and WHam ?

The nigh on impossibility of taking a team from 17th to 17th.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Just been chatting to a mate who is a Stoke supporter. I asked him for his views of Hughes and asked if he's really hated by the Stoke fans. He had the following to say...

We should have stuck with Hughes. He probably would have won more than Lambert did.

Injuries to key defenders were the main problem and you can't blame the manager for that. Had we had a settled back 4 it would have been a very different story.

The fans were annoyed at the money spent and what they got for that. Was that Hughes' fault or somebody else at the club making decisions??? Either way, that's not the way Saints conduct their business so he didn't feel this would be an issue for us.

He'd been to a couple of Hughes' training sessions and said they were superb. Drills etc. were second to none. However he believes that he used to leave individual fitness to the players themselves, which resulted in a number of them simply not doing what they should have been, hence Lambert coming in and addressing fitness as soon as he arrived... He said that he's sure Hughes won't make that mistake again.

The one thing Stoke did try to do was keep Bowden as everybody at the club seemed to rate him very highly.

Probably nothing here that's going to set the world on fire but it was interesting to get the views from a Stoke fan.

To be fair the PL has had 4 different winners in the last 6 years. It's far more open than most of the other big European leagues.

For me that is the most important thing. Admittedly desire and belief and confidence don't win points on their own, but without it even the best tactician in the world will struggle.

I sometimes suspect that after Leicester, the FA said 'never again, please', in concert with the top 6. Can you really imagine anyone winning next season apart from Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs (that hurts), or Arsenal. Not sure I can. in that sense, it is pretty sewn up.

Yawn ..... we do provaricate terribly in these situations and I wonder why. Indecision is generally our philosophy, it is even a disease that gravitates to our forwards....

Christ we even had a trial period to prepare a contract, however I would guess very little preparation was done. We are often not prepared for situations and dither our way past the finishing line ....

Last summer was the ultimate joke with the indecision over Puel....

Our Chairman doesn’t really get things done because like the developing deteriorating situation with Pellegrino he doesn’t see issues arising and cannot see ahead...

It's nothing new and I have been saying it for year. We got away with it this year, maybe not next.

Sign of things to come this summer. Taking time in signing a manager who is already here and really wants to stay

Both parties want it to happen, but both parties want the best deal possible for themselves and that isn't done instantaneously. If it is announced last week or this week it makes no difference to pre-season.

Both parties want it to happen, but both parties want the best deal possible for themselves and that isn't done instantaneously. If it is announced last week or this week it makes no difference to pre-season.

What if it announced in 6 weeks?

I think you are stretching the imagination somewhat if you think negotiating a contract for an employee who has now had a 10 week trial should not be sorted!

This type of unproductive dithering happens far too often in this club...

We are not decisive and the business/club suffers as a result.

I sometimes suspect that after Leicester, the FA said 'never again, please', in concert with the top 6. Can you really imagine anyone winning next season apart from Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, Spurs (that hurts), or Arsenal. Not sure I can. in that sense, it is pretty sewn up.

Could you imagine someone else winning it when Leicester did? What a stupid post, frankly.

It really wouldn't take long to sort out if both parties were committed.

r However he believes that he used to leave individual fitness to the players themselves, which resulted in a number of them simply not doing what they should have been, hence Lambert coming in and addressing fitness as soon as he arrived... He said that he's sure Hughes won't make that mistake again.

Probably nothing here that's going to set the world on fire but it was interesting to get the views from a Stoke fan.

Interesting. I presume that like us Stoke have a sports' science department, but it's interesting that I've heard reports of Hughes disatisfaction with our fitness levels, and our end of game goals conceded would perhaps bear that out. Perhaps for all the stats available, teams need the manager to use them and yield the big stick.

What are your thoughts on wet spam snapping up pelligrini? We were aiming for him at one point oh how things have changed!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My thoughts are that in future, you should refrain from calling them ‘wet spam’

What are your thoughts on wet spam snapping up pelligrini? We were aiming for him at one point oh how things have changed!

I was dubious when he was linked last summer as he will basically just be after one last pay cheque at West Ham and hasn't really got anything to prove there. He might do alright but I can't say I'm especially envious, especially as their board will provide ample hilarity in other aspects of the team.

Apparently West Ham are paying him £192,000 per week. Do you honestly think he worth paying that?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/west-ham-united-manuel-pellegrini-10m-per-year-salary-a8361586.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

Sky are claiming West Ham are paying him £134,000 per week. Do you honestly think he worth paying that?

10 major honours won as manager, 3 of which in this country.

But yeah, let’s pay for two managers like we do. Works out much better

It's all sorted and agreed. The delay is because the media dept are still editing the announcement video. Allegedly Long keeps on missing the cue for his lines, Boufal wants a bigger role and no one can find Stuart Taylor