Mark Hughes

arfurdent

10 major honours won as manager, 3 of which in this country.

But yeah, let’s pay for two managers like we do. Works out much better

3 honours with Man City isn't a great thing to go by. OK, 1 league win, and 2 league cups. More telling I would have thought is zero honours while he was at Real Madrid. And before those 3 honours with City in 13/14 (2) and 15/16 there was the rather irrelevant Intertoto Cup in 2004. Given the money that City were spending you would have to be disappointed in just 1 League Cup in 2 seasons (14/15 and 15/16). Another of those wins was a one off game between North and South American teams. He did win the Argentinian league a couple of times at the turn of the century.

My feeling is that Reed wants a yes man and Hughes won't be a yes man. Talks about how to compromise on that won't be easy. However, any compromise on Reed's role won't be a bad thing and the longer this drags on my gut feeling is that Hughes is getting what he wants - if he didn't, instinct tells me he'd walk away and wait for the call from a club nearer his family base up north. I'm sure this will get sewn up and we'll have ourselves some stability with a manager who knows this league very well.

It's all sorted and agreed. The delay is because the media dept are still editing the announcement video. Allegedly Long keeps on missing the cue for his lines, Boufal wants a bigger role and no one can find Stuart Taylor

...and Redmond keeps hitting pause and rewind

A prime example of Ralph acknowledging things need to be done quickly due to the transfer window shutting 9 August.....

10 days and counting since the last match of the season.....these lawyers are fkin slow. It’s not Brexit ffs :lol:

I don't think you do have to scratch your head very hard. Making terrible defensive mistakes where a hallmark of the season. We'd been throwing away leads, conceding late goals and generally looking a mess at the back all season.

After Chelsea Hughes switched to five at the back because our defence was so bloody awful. Even after switching to five at the back our defense still looked **** poor. We where lucky McCarthy hit some serious form when he did. Several end of the season games basically swung on the fingertips of McCarthy's hands.

And we were unlucky with Alonso not getting sent off (probably cost us 3 points) and the Everton non-foul foul followed by their last second equaliser. Swings and roundabouts.

And we were unlucky with Alonso not getting sent off (probably cost us 3 points) and the Everton non-foul foul followed by their last second equaliser. Swings and roundabouts.

You can't be pinning your hopes on players getting sent off. True, Alonso should have been sent off but what if he had simply not committed that foul? We shouldn't be throwing away a 2-0 lead at home to a lackluster team in 8 minutes, be it against 10, 11 or any other number of men.

As for the Everton game, what about Yoshida getting sent off, not pick up our men, clearing our lines and giving them a shot? How many results did we throw away with seconds left by not concentrating until the final whistle. At least 4 I can recall.

What's the evidence for this yes man stuff? Adkins, Poch, Koeman all had different styles, signed different sorts of players. Puel liked a different system, signed his players. Pellegrino his way, **** as it was, then given funds to sign his striker in january. Then Hughes comes in, different tactics again, different selections.

So what the fck is this yes man role?

Reed picked Puel and Pellegrino. Then he stuck by Pellegrino and almost relegated us. There's enough genuine stuff to beat the guy with without making up crap like this.

Because it suits the agenda from some fans. Not defending Reed for making a few bad decisions, but he also made some very good ones over the last 5 years. Not sure why some people are calling for his head so surely. I am indifferent, I don't mind if he goes as long as he's replaced with someone else decent, but my preference would be that he's given another chance

Anyone reckon we will go into June without a manager?
This is Saints, so who knows.

I think Hughes holds the negotiating power. He's made an impact and knows it. Could be saying that Saints need him and he'll call the tune.

Just hope we're not stupid enough to play hardball and end up with another dud.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't think he holds much power - has declared he'd like to be permanent and there aren't many others who would go for him from clubs our size and with our infrastructure. I'd say balance of power was fairly even. Sticking point could be the Les Reed factor as Hughes won't want him anywhere near decisions on players.

Because it suits the agenda from some fans. Not defending Reed for making a few bad decisions, but he also made some very good ones over the last 5 years. Not sure why some people are calling for his head so surely. I am indifferent, I don't mind if he goes as long as he's replaced with someone else decent, but my preference would be that he's given another chance

I'm pretty ambivalent about Reed but he has become a bit of a pantomime bad guy ever since Nic-nak left. That is not to say he hasn't done stuff to warrant criticism (far from it) but a percentage of our fan base seem to want to blame old Les for everything from the cost of a pint at SMS to Shane Longs 5% conversion rate. It's a bit like Eric Black who was the root of all evil in the squad for a season and half then he left.... and oh wait we got even worse.

Anyone reckon we will go into June without a manager?

Koeman was appointed on June 16th and look how that panned out.

It'll take as long as it takes. If it is Hughes, his methods wont come as a shock to the squad, if it isn't then 2 months of pre-season for the new guy is hardly a last minute fix.

It'll take as long as it takes. If it is Hughes, his methods wont come as a shock to the squad, if it isn't then 2 months of pre-season for the new guy is hardly a last minute fix.

Slightly different circumstances.

We were on an upward trend (momentum curve) then. Currently we are on a heavy decline trend that needs urgent attention and TLC

The big issue with that is the compressed transfer window due to WC.

I shouldn't expect anything from this lot really given the debacle last year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The big issue with that is the compressed transfer window due to WC.

I shouldn't expect anything from this lot really given the debacle last year.

Like the one in 2014?

We will have been tracking targets for months and will be well aware of which positions need strengthening. Even if players are at the WC, their agents will be on call 24/7. If anything the WC means nobody will be doing much until July anyway as everyone will be hanging on to their players in the hope that their value rockets on the back of 3 above average games.

Like the one in 2014?

We will have been tracking targets for months and will be well aware of which positions need strengthening. Even if players are at the WC, their agents will be on call 24/7. If anything the WC means nobody will be doing much until July anyway as everyone will be hanging on to their players in the hope that their value rockets on the back of 3 above average games.

You will remember the last four transfer windows right?

Im sure we do "track targets for months" but we then wait until the last possible moment to act because we think we're awful clever, leaving us no contingency plans and in the case of Jan 2018, Summer 2017 and Jan 2017 a failure to sign the players we have been supposedly tracking for months.

Oh, and we've dithered about with managers for the last two summers as well, tracking pointless targets for weeks and that falling through then recruiting duds.

Four utter car crashes of transfer windows over 2 seasons and two utter car crashes of managerial appointments over two summers.

And now we can't seem to conclude a deal on a manager who basically is already our manager.

The club is a fu cking clown car.

Yeah, I got faith.

This is just bloody ridiculous. It can’t take that long to sort out a contract... What on Earth goes on at this club that’s always so bloody difficult ....

I’m afraid the buck stops at the top with Kruger not Less Reed !!! (Spelling mistake meant!)

The top man’s BS is now becoming very tiresome indeed. He is so slow off the mark - ponderous, a man of little action and a mountain of BS....

Getting things done ‘Quickly’ he doesn’t know the meaning of the word....

Things go on around him which he is often just oblivious to and he doesn’t react to.... All the time! He just seems always to let things slide and we are all left wondering what the hell is going on and guess what, mostly it’s nothing....!

I am really not sure we can contually blame LR, the decisions are made at the top and increasingly they are laboured and indecisive. Increasingly it seems we are held back by the man who insists on calling us a small club, it’s time he moved over, his skill level at heading up a football club is a light year away from Cortese...

Edited by captainchris

I genuinely thought the club had learnt from the last two seasons and would have been decisive at the very start of this window so we can hit the ground running. There is something fundamentally wrong at this club and its been very evident since koeman left. I think we may struggle again next year.

This is Saints, so who knows.

I think Hughes holds the negotiating power. He's made an impact and knows it. Could be saying that Saints need him and he'll call the tune.

Just hope we're not stupid enough to play hardball and end up with another dud.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I expect the power tipped further in Hughes favour when Kruger announced to the press that he and his team were the perfect fit for the club.

I expect the power tipped further in Hughes favour when Kruger announced to the press that he and his team were the perfect fit for the club.
He hasn't got that much power.

He can take this job or sit around waiting for Neil Warnock to get sacked.

Despite our general uselessness this is still a good job and I'm sure Hughes wants it.

Arteta would be yet another continental knob jockey obsessed with keeping the ball slowly trying to work it into zones and defending from our own corners. Sick of it. Hughes has proven he can mix up the pretty football with the effective football and is light years ahead for me in terms of preference for the job.

Arteta would be yet another continental knob jockey obsessed with keeping the ball slowly trying to work it into zones and defending from our own corners. Sick of it. Hughes has proven he can mix up the pretty football with the effective football and is light years ahead for me in terms of preference for the job.
Exactly. We don't have the level of players required for that type of football and we probably never will have. This is getting slightly farcical now that we can't even tie up what should be an incredibly simple deal.

Yeah, we don't want continental knob jockeys we've had enough of them. We need a real Brit leading us. WTF are the board mincing about at. A proper club would have the bloke in place now, on the training pitch running them into the ground. Holidays are for foreign Nancy boys and knob jockeys, not getting Hughes in earlier is going to cost us big time. If we go down it'll be because we waited until the end of May to appoint him. Typical, I bet Les Reed only delayed it to save on a weeks wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arteta would be yet another continental knob jockey obsessed with keeping the ball slowly trying to work it into zones and defending from our own corners. Sick of it.

On what is that based? Given he is assistant to Guardiola I think it is more likely he'd try to implement a watered down version of Guardiola's style for players at a lower level of ability. Managers tend to appoint assistants who share common philosophies and styles.

Yeah, we don't want continental knob jockeys we've had enough of them. We need a real Brit leading us. WTF are the board mincing about at. A proper club would have the bloke in place now, on the training pitch running them into the ground. Holidays are for foreign Nancy boys and knob jockeys, not getting Hughes in earlier is going to cost us big time. If we go down it'll be because we waited until the end of May to appoint him. Typical, I bet Les Reed only delayed it to save on a weeks wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggered.

Our recruitment department is so good that not only does it identify and track quality Managers to fulfil the Southampton Way even when we don't need a Gaffer but the last five Managers brought in have all been out of work at the exact same time that we identified them as being the chosen one.

Superb foresight and planning from the laptop lads.