The Les Reed End of Season Thread

St Chalet

What Should Happen To Les Reed?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Happen To Les Reed?

• Stay As Is
    • Stay But Reduced Influence
    • Go

Decisions he's made in the last couple of years suggests to me he is making decisions based on what's best for him, rather than the club. Subservient manager's and Ross Wilson being examples of this.

His son's agency business is seemingly a whole can of worms.

For me, he has to go. Get Christian Purslow in as Chief Exec to run the club.

Would need to convince him of big ambition to attract him.Not sure we have that anymore.

A wholehearted go from me, amongst many blunders the failure to get a Vvd replacement nearly relegated us and was one of the biggest oversights I have ever witnessed at saints in 50 years of following them. The last two managerial appointments came very close.

I voted go in the end having toyed with stay but reduced role.

Saints Albert gave an excellent summary above thatt summarises my and judging by the reactions, many posters' views on the subject. Nothing wrong with sacking Puel, the football was atrocious but replace with Pellegrino? Then retain him after the Leicester debacle until March?!!

The last two January windows in particular have been comedy slapstick - not replacing Fonte and then VVD beggars belief. As someone has posted, Les seemed to allegedly find the time to be part of a speaking series or tour but not to sign a CB. To have signed a £19m pantomime horse striker when we were promised we'd strengthen the squad significantly, that's sackable stuff.

If I felt Les could change, then I'd have gone for the remit clip option as Gao worries me majorly. However, if you look at how he seemed to control Puel and MP, that's not someone who can change behaviour or stop being a control freak so you have to part company. I very much doubt in retrospect if the Redmond quote was Claude, he said it but I reckon Les was pushing it. Claude actually seemed to prove less of a yes-man than Les thought but too late, damage was done with the squad and boardroom. Les finally got his totally compliant yes-man in the summer - and look what happened. Mark Hughes has soon seen a toxic influence - let's hope it is dealt with this time after 24 poor months of decision-making, glacial inertia and staggering blunders.

Succinct summary. Out, and enjoy your retirement somewhere in the Iberian Peninsula.

I've gone stay. I think he just about deserves one more chance to learn from his/the club's mistakes and turn things round. I know it's an unfashionable point of view at the moment but we've still had more good times than bad since he's been at the club.

It's still nonsense that we haven't heard from him in so long however.

I've gone stay. I think he just about deserves one more chance to learn from his/the club's mistakes and turn things round. I know it's an unfashionable point of view at the moment but we've still had more good times than bad since he's been at the club.

It's still nonsense that we haven't heard from him in so long however.

I've come round to your line of thinking. I think he deserves one last chance as per Krueger's interview the other day. He needs to do some sort of interview acknowledging that things haven't got great the past couple of years and that he personally will learn from it and change.

If RK can face up to Radio Solent/other media outlets then so can he - he can't just be the bloke who is happy to talk when times are good and then go AWOL when things get tough.

I've come round to your line of thinking. I think he deserves one last chance as per Krueger's interview the other day. He needs to do some sort of interview acknowledging that things haven't got great the past couple of years and that he personally will learn from it and change.

If RK can face up to Radio Solent/other media outlets then so can he - he can't just be the bloke who is happy to talk when times are good and then go AWOL when things get tough.

But doesn't that give an insight into his character? High opinion of himself, stubborn but ultimately lacking any real leadership skills.

On the basis that he isn't doing that. Are you voting stay or go? Because you are in fantasy land if you think that interview will happen.

He has been in charge of football operations. For two years the football has been bilge, and unsuccessful. As soon as Sparky came in the keep ball philosophy got canned and we got the points we needed. So Hughes potentially exposed Les's football philosophy as flawed. Now we are waiting an inordinate amount of time for the club to confirm Hughes as Manager, and the Director of Football Operations is still in place. Get rid of the problem. Get rid of Les.

I like Les - quietly gets on with his job behind the scenes without a big football ego.

Sorry but I have to 100% disagree with that statement as to me people with big ego's cannot accept that they could possible be wrong.

However they just refuse to have any discussions on the matter. His silence has been deafening on that score although as many others have

pointed out when Saints were doing very well he couldn't shut up and he appeared everywhere.

Sorry but I have to 100% disagree with that statement as to me people with big ego's cannot accept that they could possible be wrong.

However they just refuse to have any discussions on the matter. His silence has been deafening on that score although as many others have

pointed out when Saints were doing very well he couldn't shut up and he appeared everywhere.

Another factor is that as he has got older, he has got fatter, slower and lazier. So much of what doesn't happen at the club nowadays reflects laziness at the top.

I'd just like to point out that I've missed the last two Les Reed polls and this annoys me a bit. Not that I'd have been able to pick from the three (crappy) options. I want "stay but review the whole structure and make the tactics more flexible".

Edited by The9

He has been in charge of football operations. For two years the football has been bilge, and unsuccessful. As soon as Sparky came in the keep ball philosophy got canned and we got the points we needed. So Hughes potentially exposed Les's football philosophy as flawed. Now we are waiting an inordinate amount of time for the club to confirm Hughes as Manager, and the Director of Football Operations is still in place. Get rid of the problem. Get rid of Les.

I agree with this up until the last 4 words. What I want to see is something nearer the flexible system we had under Pochettino, and the ability for the manager to be able to make tactical changes like Koeman did without the backlash of "didn't reflect the club's ethos" and two seasons of yes men which result from the first team playing different tactics to all of the academy sides. And I think Reed is perceptive enough to realise our running on rails, creating poor quality chances from building up too slowly, predictable one-dimensional crossing to no-one game has been completely found out - and he either needs challenge from a "name" coach who'll stand and fall on his results, or he needs to change what the club does right the way through, because another season of the same stuff under a yes man can only go one way from here.

I agree with this up until the last 4 words. What I want to see is something nearer the flexible system we had under Pochettino, and the ability for the manager to be able to make tactical changes like Koeman did without the backlash of "didn't reflect the club's ethos" and two seasons of yes men which result from the first team playing different tactics to all of the academy sides. And I think Reed is perceptive enough to realise our running on rails, creating poor quality chances from building up too slowly, predictable one-dimensional crossing to no-one game has been completely found out - and he either needs challenge from a "name" coach who'll stand and fall on his results, or he needs to change what the club does right the way through, because another season of the same stuff under a yes man can only go one way from here.
Full stops are your friend but you make some interest points nevertheless. However when you say "Reed is perceptive enough" I think you'll find that the evidence points in the opposite direction.

The last two years have seen a decline right across the board. In my opinion, if you're happy to take a large wedge to be the man at the top then you should also be prepared to take the hit when things go badly.

If Les Reed isn't considering his position then why not?

Full stops are your friend but you make some interest points nevertheless. However when you say "Reed is perceptive enough" I think you'll find that the evidence points in the opposite direction.

The last two years have seen a decline right across the board. In my opinion, if you're happy to take a large wedge to be the man at the top then you should also be prepared to take the hit when things go badly.

If Les Reed isn't considering his position then why not?

Cheeky f-cker, there's ONE run-on sentence in there, half of that is deliberate and the second half is already broken with a dash! Pretend it's a full stop if you like.

You may be right about the lack of perception - my hope is that no-one can preside over a sheeyitstorm like last season without questioning their methods. I don't think Hughes and Reed are necessarily compatible beyond the short term position we've already seen, and we'll soon know if any of the following happens:

1) Hughes doesn't sign

2) Hughes does sign but we go back to the same formation as we've had most of the time since Pochettino

3) Everything still looks exactly like it did for most of last season on the pitch

Listened to his sit-down interview with Adam Blackmore the other day (the one after Toby went).

Interesting to listen to retrospectively as a lot of what he says makes sense, but we've gone so against what he talked about in the last couple of years.

Where has this ******** come from that Puel and Pelligrino were only here because they were yes men playing the type of football prescribed by Les. There is no evidence for it apart from received wisdom on here.

Puel was sacked after one season, a season where we were never in a relegation battle and got to a cup final. Don't you think that would have been enough for Puel to have kept his job for at least another season if he was a 'yes man' playing the Lesly way.

Puel was asked to change his approach but refused so was binned, so if Les only hired a yes man why did Pelligrino play the same way as the football that got Puel the sack and despite Les preferring a different approach like the high press style he spoke about in his press release. Surely if Pelligrino was a yes man he would have played that way.

Les has made some serious recruitment mistakes but please can we drop the yes man ****e.

Heard a rumour he was spotted wandering the Common mumbling to himself wearing his favourite Liverpool FC pyjamas - social services and Dignitas are aware.

Sounds like he's back from Kiev then. Let's face it, nobody's going to offer him another job, no matter how many he applies for. Looks like we're stuck with him.

I'll say this. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

If he does cling to his job I expect and improvement from him. Doubtful it will be enough of an improvement to justify him not being replaced however.

Who knows, maybe he'll balance out with Hughes.

Under normal circumstances I would agree. However, Reed is 60, and passed the age of learning from his mistakes, quickly.

I can only see more of the same from him if he stays.

The rumour that he didn't want Hughes but another unnamed person to be next manager does not bode well if true. If it is then there will be problems ahead unless Ralph clips his wings. If that happens then there is no point him staying because he can't do his job properly.

For me a DOF should be a football man that is well regarded and fully experienced with an eye for good players.

What level of playing if any did Reed reach? How many coaching badges has he got? What actual experience of football other than sat behind a desk does he have?

• 4 weeks later...
Under normal circumstances I would agree. However, Reed is 60, and passed the age of learning from his mistakes, quickly.

I can only see more of the same from him if he stays.

The rumour that he didn't want Hughes but another unnamed person to be next manager does not bode well if true. If it is then there will be problems ahead unless Ralph clips his wings. If that happens then there is no point him staying because he can't do his job properly.

For me a DOF should be a football man that is well regarded and fully experienced with an eye for good players.

What level of playing if any did Reed reach? How many coaching badges has he got? What actual experience of football other than sat behind a desk does he have?

You're a bit behind the times. He passed the retirement age of 65 last year and he hasn't bothered to keep himself in good shape. He's getting fatter and lazier. I guess he think he's on to a good thing if he can keep drawing a big salary and expenses until he's 70.

You're a bit behind the times. He passed the retirement age of 65 last year and he hasn't bothered to keep himself in good shape. He's getting fatter and lazier. I guess he think he's on to a good thing if he can keep drawing a big salary and expenses until he's 70.
I understand that you have an irrational hatred of the man but all you've done is written two lines of pure rubbish. Other than his age, the rest is supposition and juvenile personal jibes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I understand that you have an irrational hatred of the man but all you've done is written two lines of pure rubbish. Other than his age, the rest is supposition and juvenile personal jibes.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

He`s not on his own there...

Seeing as he`s still here shall we have another poll one as the last one made zero difference to anything,

maybe this one will :D

Exactly what is the point, when we all know he's here to stay and there's feck all we can do about it

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Pretty clear that the old boy has been shunted aside given the lack of smug quotes from him in the Armstrong unveiling, and off the back of the Jeremy Wilson article last week.

Given that wee Ross has assumed Les’ old responsibilities, in title at least, for some time now, it looks like we should now be directing any flak his way.

At least Les can now put his full focus into taking out the bins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty clear that the old boy has been shunted aside given the lack of smug quotes from him in the Armstrong unveiling, and off the back of the Jeremy Wilson article last week.

Given that wee Ross has assumed Les’ old responsibilities, in title at least, for some time now, it looks like we should now be directing any flak his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carillo to be his last signing then?

On a lighter note. Hitler did amazingly well for Germany in WII, then he invaded Russia, thus undermining all the good work he did for HIS Country,previously.

Les has undermined his alleged good work previously,by his disastrous last two years, just like our mate Adolf.

On a lighter note. Hitler did amazingly well for Germany in WII, then he invaded Russia, thus undermining all the good work he did for HIS Country,previously.

Les has undermined his alleged good work previously,by his disastrous last two years, just like our mate Adolf.

Larry your head’s gone pal. Only a special little guy like you could squeeze two utterly contradictory statements in a short paragraph and still have room for a cheeky little reference to Hitler. Or Adolf as you seem to fondly call him :thumbup:

Edited by shurlock

To be honest a better analogy on a number of levels would be Mussolini, or Benito as his mates called him...