We must keep Tadic?

Roboze

i think he as the capability to be our lynchpin, and it looks like Hughes is instilled that belief in him, i realise that he has gone missing for large parts of the last two seasons! but ridiculous as it sounds, i think he just wants to be loved!! lol, on the flipside the worrying thing is if he nails on an outstanding season, we will struggle to keep him.......football is a *****! :p

He was noticeably better and more like his old self under Hughes... Go figure, the first manager since Koeman that attacked teams... all of a sudden, our main chance creator looks better.

Keep him for me.

Playing slow possession football encourages the opposition to deploy a high pressing tactic, and Tadic struggles in those conditions.

He's best against teams who allow him more time and space on the ball. E.g. he's consistently played well against Arsenal, and he also had some good spells against Bournemouth in the 0-0 under Puel if I recall.

I think that's probably part of the reason he struggled in Puel & Pellegrino sides. He is always looking for that killer pass, but to make it you require players to make forward runs, something we rarely did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he will still have poor patches, but hopefully not as many or for as long next season! We also miss him a lot when he doesn't play because he is the only real 'creator' we have in the side.

Of all the players I would like to replace is Tadic (with others mind) because I think he lacks consistency and only worked hard when the possibility of relegation became serious. A good player but he needs a new challenge.

Build a team around him IMO.

Yep hoping he stays. If we can get the right speedster to complement his skillful play that would be ideal.

I think there's something to be said for bringing in players that he can find & will actually finish off chances he creates.

Has been our problem for 2 seasons.

He's not perfect. But an upgrade is well out of our budget.

I hope he has a good World Cup, he's Serbia's best player and they are very much built around him, if he can have a good tournament then he may bring some extra confidence back to Southampton with him.

He's not perfect. But an upgrade is well out of our budget.

I hope he has a good World Cup, he's Serbia's best player and they are very much built around him, if he can have a good tournament then he may bring some extra confidence back to Southampton with him.

Either that or attract interest from other clubs and cause him to force a move... sorry for the negativity but that's what happened to future-club-legend Jose Fonte!

Agree about the upgrade/budget though. Players who score goals, followed by those that can create them, are the most precious commodities in football.

The number of times Tadic has put balls through either for Austin to be too slow to use, or for Long to get on the end of and miss.

If it's a target man up front, you need Tadic out wide and crossing regularly. He created more for Pelle, but despite being slow, Pelle was faster than Austin and had better movement. You'd think Tadic could pick out Gabbiadini best of our strikers, but they didn't get to play much together this season for some reason.

IF we were sticking with 3-4-3, then I think you need the most mobile front 3 possible. Still think Chelsea looked better with Hazard/Pedro/Willian up front than their actual big strikers. Rather we went Tadic/Gabbiadini and a new signing up top than stick with Austin.

And yet he doesn't seem able to pick out gabbi. If those two could click.........

Either that or attract interest from other clubs and cause him to force a move... sorry for the negativity but that's what happened to future-club-legend Jose Fonte!

He's not going to get any better at 29. if he has a good WC and we get a great offer then i'd let him go. It would be a good decision, just as it was with Fonte

Haven’t seen an update lately, but a year or so back he was in the Premier League top five assists for the period since he arrived.

Massively underrated in my opinion, typical flair player who is always going to have moments that disappoint but a good team should be able to have a place for those types. Works much harder for the team than is given credit too.

And yet he doesn't seem able to pick out gabbi. If those two could click.........

I always feel like this is because Tadic often delays the final ball, meaning Gabbi has already made his move and has to adjust and get back onside again. With Pelle it's okay because if the run has gone then you can just put it in the air and he'll win it, Gabbi can't do that. But it does seem like a match made in heaven so hopefully we see the benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Has to stay for me. Showed a lot of bottle at the business end of the season, (yeah I know, but everybody was culpable for the front end of the season) showed what he could do under a decent manager and with a bit of confidence instilled in the side as a whole. I'm a fan.

Has to stay for me. Showed a lot of bottle at the business end of the season, (yeah I know, but everybody was culpable for the front end of the season) showed what he could do under a decent manager and with a bit of confidence instilled in the side as a whole. I'm a fan.

Agreed. A lot of people think he goes missing, and he gets some ridiculous stick on here. But I’ve always rated him, and when it really mattered he was one of those who wasn’t afraid to stand up and be counted.

I struggle to see how they could afford his wages.

Ajax are loaded with cash. They have been making millions over the last few years with player sales, and likely to do again this summer with the sales of Kluivert, Ziyech and de Ligt (the sale of de Ligt is likely to be around 60 million euro).

I agree that Tadic isn’t the kind of signing Ajax would normally do.

I struggle to see how they could afford his wages.

Ajax are loaded with cash.

That is not reflected in their wage budget...

2016/17

Ajax wage bill = £35m

Saints wage bill = £112m

Saints can blow Ajax out of the water for wages. I doubt they'd come close to what we pay Tadic.

He's not going to get any better at 29. if he has a good WC and we get a great offer then i'd let him go. It would be a good decision, just as it was with Fonte

29 isn’t old though. Jesus I hope not else that makes me positively ancient! Fonte was 33 wasn’t he? Tadic has a couple of good years yet.

Of course it depends on the amount we could get. We need to be able to recruit someone who creates chances and they don’t usually come cheap. Someone offers £25m, then I agree with you. Someone offers £10m, I don’t.