Olomola signs for S****horpe

Saint86

Olomola has signed for S****horpe on a 3year deal.

More academy players either not good enough, or not being given the chance they need.

Our academy really has been struggling in recent years.

Such a small % of them will ever make the Premier League grade. I'm happy if they get picked up by League clubs, and quite a fair few have.

Such a small % of them will ever make the Premier League grade. I'm happy if they get picked up by League clubs, and quite a fair few have.

Indeed.

I don't get why academies are looked at as either Premier League or failure. Plenty of players have gone on to have successful careers at other clubs and playing in the football league is quite some achievement. I think he should be congratulated. There are plenty of Josh Dutton-Blacks and Aarran Racines who don't make the grade at any level.

If every club produced a Lallana, Bale or Walcott every season, the England team would look like an NBA all-star XI.

Olomola has signed for S****horpe on a 3year deal.

More academy players either not good enough, or not being given the chance they need.

Our academy really has been struggling in recent years.

Every year every club releases academy products who then goto Football League clubs. It doesn't mean the academy is struggling. The quality bar to break into a Premier League first time is extremely high.

Unless the rules change, academies and PL are pretty useless. The rewards on offer mean that a rookie academy player is going to find it increasingly hard to break through. That is unless they are an exceptional talent, rather than just being good. All clubs have enough money to go out and buy players with experience. We were a rather different case, where many of our academy had played in different leagues and got experience that way. It was also helped by Pochettino who did blood many. But he seems to be the exception, and did it at a level where the club could afford him to do so. At Spurs, while he has brought one or two through (Winks) he won't reach the heights he did with us, where one game IIRC 5 started and 2 came on as subs.

So to me, the rules should change. More than the 8 home grown players in your squad. You should be made to start players that have come through your academy in the starting XI (although I realise there are complications with that). As it is, the PL does little for developing English football. If a club has a problem, they won't try and coach their way out of it, they'll just go and buy a ready replacement. We have got to the stage where coaching plays second fiddle to the cheque book.

• 3 months later...
Nothing new or strange. It's always been just one or two academy players coming through every couple of years at most and the majority ending up in lower league or non league. That's just how it works.

So who are the one or two in the last couple of years who have come through and cemented a place in the first team? Stephens, possibly though some will argue (wrongly) that he is not Academy, and also not sure he has cemented a place. Who else? Last one might be JWP, that was about 6 years ago. The Academy is near pointless these days, really wonder why we bother be abuse no one will give them a chance.

So who are the one or two in the last couple of years who have come through and cemented a place in the first team? Stephens, possibly though some will argue (wrongly) that he is not Academy, and also not sure he has cemented a place. Who else? Last one might be JWP, that was about 6 years ago. The Academy is near pointless these days, really wonder why we bother be abuse no one will give them a chance.

Stephens was in someone else’s first team when we signed him.

Hardly come up through the age groups here

It’s like saying Theo is a product of Arsenal. Some saints fans would lose their shyt over that