Gasometer Site

spyinthesky

Anyone know any detail about the future of the gasometer site?

Presumably the two structures are no longer operational and wonder if our new owners might be looking at acquiring the site for incorporation into the stadium footprint or for redevelopment.

Latter came to mind after visiting the Kings Cross/St Pancras area recently where two old gasometers have been turned into quite trendy, and presumably expensive, circular

accommodation

In the last 'Invest in Southampton' magazine in 2017 (produced by the City Council) there was this statement:

"Southampton Football Club is also eager to see the Itchen Waterfront Master Plan become a reality. They are interested in seeing the gas holder site which sits alongside the stadium deliver a far better welcome and experience for fans and visitors. Southampton Football Club is talking positively about supporting investment in the environment immediately around the stadium and there is plenty of potential there,” added Mike.

Looks like it's in their thoughts at least.

In the last 'Invest in Southampton' magazine in 2017 (produced by the City Council) there was this statement:

"Southampton Football Club is also eager to see the Itchen Waterfront Master Plan become a reality. They are interested in seeing the gas holder site which sits alongside the stadium deliver a far better welcome and experience for fans and visitors. Southampton Football Club is talking positively about supporting investment in the environment immediately around the stadium and there is plenty of potential there,” added Mike.

Looks like it's in their thoughts at least.

This is the sort of thing I hoped Gao/Lander would be able to help us with.

Gas holders redundant and will be demolished in due course, however plant adjacent to walkway remains live and will remain. Suggest club concentrates on developing team and quality of its product rather than worry about gasworks.

Gas holders redundant and will be demolished in due course, however plant adjacent to walkway remains live and will remain. Suggest club concentrates on developing team and quality of its product rather than worry about gasworks.

I doubt they will have Hughes, Reed and Tadic down there welding RSJs any time soon. I think the club can cope with both.

I believe you are correct. One of them is very old and now very rare.

Personally, I reckon there would be far too much ground contamination to redevelop economically.

The entire site of the stadium was a massive gasworks and had to be decontaminated and these old gasometers have been redeveloped all over the world, even if listed.

Maybe they could be transformed into a couple of multi-storey carparks which would probably be needed with any redevelopment of the area/stadium - like shown on here:

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/11/09/six-proposals-shortlist-riba-national-grid-gasholder-bases-architecture-competition/

Im sure they will be removed at some stage, but its expensive due to the contamination.

They are locally listed, however that can be waived by the council planners if whats being put in its place is worthy of demolition.

The entire site of the stadium was a massive gasworks and had to be decontaminated and these old gasometers have been redeveloped all over the world, even if listed.

Maybe they could be transformed into a couple of multi-storey carparks which would probably be needed with any redevelopment of the area/stadium - like shown on here:

https://www.dezeen.com/2017/11/09/six-proposals-shortlist-riba-national-grid-gasholder-bases-architecture-competition/

Out of those ideas the indoor sports courts looks the best, you could have indoor football pitches for the local community and a gym in the other?

I think the northern most part of the site could be a good place for some form of monument or small park, as it would be visible from Northam Road and would make Northam look less of a sh*thole as you're driving into the city. Perhaps something with lights, fountains and a bit of nice greenery.

The southern part and existing car park would be a decent space for a multi-storey and a possibly a hotel or sports complex.

How the hell can such ugly eyesores which only ever served a practical purpose be listed? Lunacy.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

The vertical lift holder ( the one nearest Northam road ) has ornate footwork which is of interest but by no means unique. The spiral holder ,nearest st Mary's is a much later design and is of no interest.However both are ugly.