Vicenza

foxy9143

A report here that GAO and Lander Holdings are going to buy Vicenza Calcio.

Vicenza has had a fall from grace in the last few years, they slipped form Serie B straight through Serie C and are in a play off game to prevent relegation to the 4th tier for the first time in their history.

They have a delapidated but large stadium and a passionate fan base. The6 also play in red and white.

http://www.biancorossi.net/2018/05/25/una-societa-legata-al-southampton-lalternativa-a-rosso-51439/

Can't wait to see us sign one of their star players from the depths of serie 4...

They are a former Serie A team available for an extremely cheap price of between 1.1m to 1.47m EURO!

A little investment could see them back up to Serie B relatively quickly. Loaning under 23 players to them for development then becomes an interesting possibility. Plus aiding with work permits for new signings.

hopefully will be as good as Corrillo.

Who?

It's all looking peaches for Lesley's next little earner.

How?

The article says it is an auction, Lander Holdings is one of a number of potential bidders.

I have a friend who is a Vicenza Ultra and he says that the other main potential bidder is the Rosso family who own the Diesel clothing brand. It may be an interesting opportunity to see what financial clout Mr Gao has got .

If it come off some people may like to know a bit more about our new partners. I have watched them a few times as I go on holiday to Vicenza a couple of times a year. There are various similarities between where we were when Marcus bought the club and where Vicenza are now. A sleeping giant is probably too generous to them but they were a long established Serie B team who dabbled with the top flight occasionally. Guidolin managed them at one time. They get around 12,000 at most home games and the fans have a the same fatalistic attitude as many Saints fans. Last season a fan from a visiting club was badly beaten by police after a game and the Vicenza Ultras arranged for his wife to stay in an apartment near the hospital and generally helped the family until he was discharged.

The stadium is run down, reminds me of the Dell, but at least the club own if which is quite rare in Italy where often the local council owns the stadium.

they slipped form Serie B straight through Serie C and are in a play off game to prevent relegation to the 4th tier for the first time in their history.

They won the first leg 2-1 at home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUArdJ4ncUg&t=116s

2nd leg is tomorrow. Bid deadline for the auction is 28th May.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Vicenza has had a fall from grace in the last few years, they slipped form Serie B straight through Serie C and are in a play off game to prevent relegation to the 4th tier for the first time in their history.

They have a delapidated but large stadium and a passionate fan base. The6 also play in red and white.

http://www.biancorossi.net/2018/05/25/una-societa-legata-al-southampton-lalternativa-a-rosso-51439/

Would be nice to have an Italian club on the portfolio.

More exciting than a Swiss or Belgian club.

I'm sure the Vicenza fanbase will be thrilled to be effectively our feeder club

Vitesse Arnhem fans from what I read don't seem that bothered about being Chelsea's.

It's only likely to benefit them until such time they get to a similar level as us.

It says "a Belgium company that owns the property of FC Southampton"

One of Gaos backers?

I can't see that anywhere in that article.

See the Google translation of the final paragraph

That isn't how it translates for me on Google translate...

The important news of the last hours is that in case Vicenza centers salvation almost certainly will participate in the auction also an English company close to the property of the Southampton FC currently the Lander Holding of the Chinese magnate Gao. A group with considerable economic capacity and ready to relaunch Vicenza and restructure the "Menti" following the projects presented by a name known to the fans of Vicenza, the architect Riccardo Cestari who designed the new Vicenza stadium on the school benches his diary, and that in London he would play an important role in sewing contacts with top management in British society.

The article in Italian says "inglese", not Belgium...

La novità importante delle ultime ore è che in caso il Vicenza centri la salvezza quasi sicuramente parteciperà all’asta anche una società inglese vicina alla proprietà del FC Southampton attualmente della Lander Holding del magnate cinese Gao. Un gruppo dalle notevoli capacità economiche e che è pronto a rilanciare il Vicenza e a ristrutturare il “Menti” seguendo i progetti presentati da un nome noto ai tifosi vicentini, l’architetto Riccardo Cestari che sui banchi di scuola progettava il nuovo stadio di Vicenza disegnandolo sul suo diario, e che a Londra avrebbe avuto un ruolo importante nel cucire i contatti con i vertici della società inglese.

Edited by Matthew Le God

The Vicentini are sometime nicknamed 'magnagati" or 'mangiagatti" from their ostensible prediliction for eating cats..

Haha nice bit of football trivia!

The history goes back hundreds of years to when the city was starving and the population had to eat their cats. But it is indeed the nickname used by Vicenza Calcio fans. In fact my good frien has a cat and a knife and fork tattooed on his arm.

Vicenza is a great city to visit, halfway between Verona and Venice, so if this comes off we can look forward to a great pre season friendly each year.

To be honest I am sure they just want a stable club.

They have been through such a **** time over the last few years. People getting done for inflating profits, not paying wages etc.

Sadly they are a fine example of why there needs to be far tougher rules in place for potential owners.

So Gao would walk in there no problems at all.

The history goes back hundreds of years to when the city was starving and the population had to eat their cats. But it is indeed the nickname used by Vicenza Calcio fans. In fact my good frien has a cat and a knife and fork tattooed on his arm.

Vicenza is a great city to visit, halfway between Verona and Venice, so if this comes off we can look forward to a great pre season friendly each year.

I'd recommend it to anyone. A fantastic wee city. I've been a few times, even seen Vicenza play myself. IIRC it's the wealthiest city in Italy, or 2nd behind Parma. I'm in the area next week cycling up at Bassano Del Grappa and I think we're basing ourselves there in October when we take the kids to Verona & Venice.

Be brilliant to play a preseason game out there.

Is Themis the feeder club that we will send our stars of the future too?

Sounds amazing :-/

What type of club did you think they were going to buy? :?

Vicenza would have a number of positives going for it as a potential purchase...

- recent financial problems means they are for sale at a low price of under £2m

- a club that was in Serie A as recently as 2001 and won the Italian cup in 1997

- wouldn't take a huge amount of time or money to get them back to Serie B, which would be a decent level for loan players from Saints under 23s to play in

- decent sized fanbase

- stadium capacity 12,000

- kit of red and white stripes matches the main club

Edited by Matthew Le God

They have a delapidated but large stadium and a passionate fan base. They also play in red and white.

I thought the bit in bold was about friends down the road :uhoh: Then I saw the 'they play in red and white' bit, and all was normal once more.

I'm sure they would be happy to give some of our 'fringe' (for want of a better word) players some experience and game time. Players such as Hesketh, Flannigan, Cull, O'Driscoll, Tella and Carillo...... ;)

The Vicentini are sometime nicknamed 'magnagati" or 'mangiagatti" from their ostensible prediliction for eating cats..

Nice story.

A friend once had a favourite t-shirt with the following words on it: 'Help Save Mice, Eat Cats' - not many people realised that they should just swap the word cat with a synonym beginning with 'P' and ending in 'y' to get the real meaning. (Something to do with cunning-linguists.)

I thought that was what Sue was alluding to :blush: until you gave the full story :D

I like the word 'magnagati' - it is similar to a beach I will be on in a could of weeks called 'magnatiti' because of the black, magnetic, sand.

Anyway, I think it will be very interesting if this does come to pass. But I am sure there are some on here will mank and moan regardless.

Well Vicenza drew their second leg relegation playoff game to win the tie on aggregate. That means they stay in Serie C next season and if mr GAO wants to buy the club he will have to fork out an extra half a million.

I'd recommend it to anyone. A fantastic wee city. I've been a few times, even seen Vicenza play myself. IIRC it's the wealthiest city in Italy, or 2nd behind Parma. I'm in the area next week cycling up at Bassano Del Grappa and I think we're basing ourselves there in October when we take the kids to Verona & Venice.

Be brilliant to play a preseason game out there.

Brilliant. Never been there myself but I could put on weight there! Don't forget to try the grappa.. There's a lovely traditional/alpino song called 'Sul Ponte di Bassano' which I could sing after a few wines and the right company!

Why on earth would Vicenza be our feeder club?

Because they are on the verge of going out of business, were nearly relegated into the 4th tier, available to buy for under £2m and a little investment could see them rise again to Serie B. Potentially a lot of positives for them given their current situation and little in the way of negatives.

If Gao buys them it will be for the same reason he bought Saints, to help promote Lander Sports new chain of soccer centres in China.

I'm puzzled why you think a club that was nearly relegated from the three league regional Serie C would in any way be beneficial to promoting soccer centres in China!

Nordic, we're having fun close-season imaginings.. A plate of sorpressa, a glass of wine, a mooch round a palladian villa. It's all a bit of fun.

Sadly it looks as if the sorpressa, wine and mooching will have to be around a different architect's villa.

If this translation is correct then Mr Gao did not lodge his bid for Vicenza by the deadline of 11.30 today. Just the Diesel clothing owner

"Update of 13:40. Confirmation arrives, the reality linked to Renzo Rosso is the only one to have presented the offer for Vicenza Calcio."

http://www.biancorossi.net/2018/05/28/ore-12-scaduto-il-termine-per-la-presentazione-delle-buste-51555/

MLG still banging the drum on a 3rd level Italian club as a place to send Jake Hesketh before he rips up the premier league

Reckon Stephens would be the next john terry had he spent a year out there

Amazing stuff

MLG still banging the drum on a 3rd level Italian club as a place to send Jake Hesketh before he rips up the premier league

Amazing stuff

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Amazing stuff

Your point is valid, Bats. Probably wouldn't help advanced academy players.

I'd just be excited to have a club I could have a vested interest in over there.

Imagine it would be good for the younger boys to spend some time at.

Amazing stuff

Actually it is amazing to think just how much you've twisted my words. I haven't said what you've claimed I said.

Promoted back to Serie B rather than the regional 3 league Serie C and that would be a decent level for younger players.

Actually it is amazing to think just how much you've twisted my words. I haven't said what you've claimed I said.

Promoted back to Serie B rather than the regional 3 league Serie C and that would be a decent level for younger players.

It would still be pointless. Why send them to Serie B instead of the Championship or League One? If they were in Serie A it might be good but even then I'm not sure it's too productive to be tied with another club in relation to player dealings

It would still be pointless. Why send them to Serie B instead of the Championship or League One? If they were in Serie A it might be good but even then I'm not sure it's too productive to be tied with another club in relation to player dealings

Les was talking about this in one of his post season chats (must've been a while ago).

Sure he mentioned linking up with a European club as a partnership.

Les was talking about this in one of his post season chats (must've been a while ago).

I think that has been on the table for many a season without any evidence of actually happening. All talk, no action - it’s the Southampton way.

If your owner owns the club the player goes to, you have far more control vs sending to a random League 1 club.

We would see that as the opportunity to control the development of a player versus loaning them out.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16230056.Gao_plans_overseas_investment/

I think that has been on the table for many a season without any evidence of actually happening. All talk, no action - it’s the Southampton way.

Southampton and Sannois SG (French 3rd tier) have a partnership agreement.

- The partnership expires on 30/06/2018 but is renewable

- Sannois SG teams of different age groups come to play friendlies in England

- Staff from Southampton will come to train Sannois SG young players sometimes

- A seminar will take place in England for Sannois SG youth teams managers

- Sannois SG seems to have a lot of good young players, that is interesting for Southampton, a majority of best French players comes from Paris region (including Sannois SG)

- Sannois SG club expect that more young players will be interested in coming to the club, in order to have a chance to reach the English leagues later