Saints to Tour China

Just popped up on Facebook, the club are all going ta-daa we’re off to China pre season look at us ain’t it great?!!!

The majority of responses are “be nice to know who the manager will be”.

You would think someone would go “oh this ain’t looking too clever”.

Still a training camp in China in July, that’s going to find out who’s kept up with their off season fitness regime. It’s always a threat at work to be sent to China in July and August for factory inspections, the heat can be relentlessly oppressive.

Almost useless preparation for a Premier season, although not bad for selling shirts

How is a training camp from 30th June to 13th July, including a friendly against the 2nd best team in Germany "almost useless" as preparation? Jet lag is not an issue that will impact the team a month later when the season starts and they will have two weeks of training, at likely a very good facility and hotel. If this was arranged for close to the start of the league campaign I'd be worried about the impact of such a long journey for them... but it isn't.

Just popped up on Facebook, the club are all going ta-daa we’re off to China pre season look at us ain’t it great?!!!

The majority of responses are “be nice to know who the manager will be”.

You would think someone would go “oh this ain’t looking too clever”.

Still a training camp in China in July, that’s going to find out who’s kept up with their off season fitness regime. It’s always a threat at work to be sent to China in July and August for factory inspections, the heat can be relentlessly oppressive.

Don't worry,judging by last season's performance ,nobody is going to work up much of a sweat.

How is a training camp from 30th June to 13th July, including a friendly against the 2nd best team in Germany "almost useless" as preparation? Jet lag is not an issue that will impact the team a month later when the season starts and they will have two weeks of training, at likely a very good facility and hotel. If this was arranged for close to the start of the league campaign I'd be worried about the impact of such a long journey for them... but it isn't.

Who would want to pay that much to watch what is just a training and fitness exercise for the players (and a w!lly swinging exercise for Gao).

Save yourself shed loads of dosh and sit in a tree outside Staplewood when they get back., and you'll also be able to watch the world cup matches if you so choose at home or down the local!!

I'm actually half tempted. I always put money aside each month in case we qualify for Europe anyway.

And that £1145 is pretty good considering the first flight search I did to get me from where I live Newcastle via Amsterdam to Shanghai to arrive the day before was £1001

I thought getting the hols off work would be bad cos off kids off school etc... but all dates are available and some I already have off for the World Cup.

I've always wanted to go somewhere bonkers to see a Saints game (I'm the same guy who always kept bangin on about wanting to go to Kazakhstan on the Europa threads).

But can I really be pooped to go half way round the world for a non-competitive game?

It's all a bit ******** really. We have a new person in charge that has done **** all to manage the club apart from arrange a trip to his home country just so he can swing his ****.

There is a need to understand why Katerina and the board chose a Chinese joint owner. If the club can build its reputation in China it is a country with a largely untapped market where revenue can be earned which will permit higher spending on the team under FIFA’s Financial Fair Play rules. Accusing the joint owner of a macho motive shows that this isn’t yet understood by some fans. Would just also say it’s a shame about the use of asterisks in that post. The English language is perfectly capable of emphasing a point without the pretence of what are presumably intended to be swear words. Our Chinese owner is entitled to some respect.

It does mean something. It s the whole essence of how football clubs need to be run.

But it's flawed, as the big clubs will get bigger and the gap will get larger.

The 'big' clubs have had previous backing and exposure to have a big following, so commercially they can spend lots and lots of money and continue to get bigger.

Whereas ourselves are now restricted to having to take baby steps to grow our revenue whilst slipping further away from the pack. There's nothing fair about it in my eyes, unless you're a big club fan and want it to stay a 'super league'.

There is a need to understand why Katerina and the board chose a Chinese joint owner. If the club can build its reputation in China it is a country with a largely untapped market where revenue can be earned which will permit higher spending on the team under FIFA’s Financial Fair Play rules. Accusing the joint owner of a macho motive shows that this isn’t yet understood by some fans. Would just also say it’s a shame about the use of asterisks in that post. The English language is perfectly capable of emphasing a point without the pretence of what are presumably intended to be swear words. Our Chinese owner is entitled to some respect.

**** off you stupid ****. Tell me how we are going to increase our revenue considerably by being involved in China. A few licencing deals and some Chinese ads around the pitch will buy us a quarter of Carillo.

Sounds like a very reasonable price although I would want more details about the flights and the accommodation (if I was remotely interested in going).

Depends on the ticket price. If reasonable, say no more than a tenner, then I’ll go. I’d make my own way there though.

**** off you stupid ****. Tell me how we are going to increase our revenue considerably by being involved in China. A few licencing deals and some Chinese ads around the pitch will buy us a quarter of Carillo.

Errr.... thanks for your contribution. I am impressed by your business acumen. However, many, many "fans" support the likes of manure because when they were kids, a thousand miles away, they saw something on TV, or a game, or something and decided to choose that team ahead of a hundred others. They have never been to manchester. Never will.

Perhaps a few in China might become saints supporters? That might just possibly increase revenue?

Errr.... thanks for your contribution. I am impressed by your business acumen. However, many, many "fans" support the likes of manure because when they were kids, a thousand miles away, they saw something on TV, or a game, or something and decided to choose that team ahead of a hundred others. They have never been to manchester. Never will.

Perhaps a few in China might become saints supporters? That might just possibly increase revenue?

Seriously being involved in China isn't going to open up an income stream worth worrying about. So we might pick up a few supporters who like a smaller team, how will that translate; shirt sales probably not much as they are just as likely to buy knock off, a few match tickets, licencing deals will be small fry, we may get on tele there a bit more and I guess clubs might get paid individually for Chinese tv rights rather than collectively, so that will be nice. But we are not going to suddenly be everyones favourite watch because we have a Chinese owner, they are going to want to watch a good side. So the best way to get on tv more is to have a good team. I might be a stupid poster but Im guessing this big Chinese market that we now have got an amazing in on will still want to watch the big clubs.

I remember when it was said the Ralph was going to tap into the US market, how did thst work out, a UA deal that at a guess is no better than an Adidas deal.

Professor (using the same naming technique as Curly of Corrie) said that KL chose a Chinese buyer to get into this untapped market as though it was a stroke of genius only she and the higher minded posters like the prof can understand, but it seems to me that the club was sold to the only rider in the race. Us stupid posters can understand that there may be some benefit from a higher profile in China, but to think it's was by design and some master plan to the top table is ********.

Hey all. It’s been a fair while since I last posted but figured I’d wade in on this thread as I’m Shanghai based and have the official Saints social media and fan relations manager as an acquaintance. She’s offering my free tickets for the games if I’m interested. I’ll probably go to the Schiller game even though it’s annoyingly on a Thursday evening at 7:30pm. It’s in Kunshan which is between Shanghai and Suzhou, roughly 20m on the high-speed train from Hongqiao station, itself around 30m from downtown on the subway. It’s just about achieveable after work. The second game is a Sunday but it’s in a city called Xuzhou about 300 miles from Shanghai. I’ll give that one a miss! The weather in July is going to be brutal for a game of football, even in the evening, so I imagine it’ll be a pretty tame kickabout. Anyway, if any of you do make it out let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any questions about getting around etc. Or try to answer them anyway.

Hey all. It’s been a fair while since I last posted but figured I’d wade in on this thread as I’m Shanghai based and have the official Saints social media and fan relations manager as an acquaintance. She’s offering my free tickets for the games if I’m interested. I’ll probably go to the Schiller game even though it’s annoyingly on a Thursday evening at 7:30pm. It’s in Kunshan which is between Shanghai and Suzhou, roughly 20m on the high-speed train from Hongqiao station, itself around 30m from downtown on the subway. It’s just about achieveable after work. The second game is a Sunday but it’s in a city called Xuzhou about 300 miles from Shanghai. I’ll give that one a miss! The weather in July is going to be brutal for a game of football, even in the evening, so I imagine it’ll be a pretty tame kickabout. Anyway, if any of you do make it out let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any questions about getting around etc. Or try to answer them anyway.

Schiller = Schalke

I'm planning on doing the Schalke game as well, managed to get a direct flight from Moscow after England's potential second round game for less than £200. For those only doing one game or the other, the big Chinese cities offer 144-hour visa waiver schemes for UK citizens, so you'll only need to apply for a visa if you're staying for longer than 6 days. So I probably need to cram 4 or 5 days' tourism into two (Friday and Saturday), with a midnight flight back on Saturday night. Should be fun :o

I'm planning on doing the Schalke game as well, managed to get a direct flight from Moscow after England's potential second round game for less than £200. For those only doing one game or the other, the big Chinese cities offer 144-hour visa waiver schemes for UK citizens, so you'll only need to apply for a visa if you're staying for longer than 6 days. So I probably need to cram 4 or 5 days' tourism into two (Friday and Saturday), with a midnight flight back on Saturday night. Should be fun :o

England’s second round game, lol

Fair play to anyone who makes it out there, I've done pre season abroad in Norway, Sweden and Feyenoord , all were great trips , seeing Saints play in China would be amazing experience.

I've got a feeling we'll play an away game in Europe as well , hopefully the club announce it with a bit of notice.

Could probably do this trip for just over AUD$1000 for three days. Roughly £570.

Flights are simple enough and I imagine accommodation wouldn't be much of an issue.

Getting a match ticket would be the only issue.

Well that and my missus would surely divorce me if I tried to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good shout on the short-term visa. I've never used it personally but I assume it's straightforward. That gives more than enough time for tourism in Shanghai (two days is enough tbh) and possibly even Suzhou or Hangzhou as one-day trips. You might want to just stick around Shanghai though and take it easy.

£15 for a kick about friendly

Crazy

Strangely enough, today I came across my tickets for last season's friendlies against Augsburg and Seville which were £5 for my son and £12 for me covering BOTH games, so 15 quid does seem a bit steep. That said, Derby is only an hour or so down the road so I will be going!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk