Hughes - Confirmed

Stud mark of doom

Not sure being under contract would make any difference, as we well know.

Thought this, but Poch (despite what people think) is a pretty loyal man. Unless his contract was agreed so that Spurs will get a bigger compensation pack then I expect him to stay there for another year or 2.

Thought this, but Poch (despite what people think) is a pretty loyal man. Unless his contract was agreed so that Spurs will get a bigger compensation pack then I expect him to stay there for another year or 2.

I doubt they would go for him anyway, probably go for someone who has actually won something.

I doubt they would go for him anyway, probably go for someone who has actually won something.

What like ZZ? Really don't get this idea that some have these days that managers are no good unless they have won something. It is often the ones who haven't won something who are demonstrably the better managers, those who show a marked improvement in the teams they have taken on.

What like ZZ? Really don't get this idea that some have these days that managers are no good unless they have won something. It is often the ones who haven't won something who are demonstrably the better managers, those who show a marked improvement in the teams they have taken on.

Sort of agree. Don't know that the best managers are normally the ones who don't win anything, but certainly about this obsession with winning things. Ultimately Spurs are being scrutinised for their lack of trophies because Pochettino has elevated them to that level of expectancy. Would Pochettino be deemed to have done a better job if Spurs had finished 7th each year but during that time won a League (or even FA) Cup?

Edited by mrfahaji

I don't think Poch is no good but ZZ was a one-off and an internal appointment, their three previous appointments all had previous won the CL and each had a long list of trophies won. Poch has been a manager for almost 10 years and has not won anything. Madrid are top of the tree - they don't have to hire potential.

No idea how to embed twitter videos (I miss the days where everything was on YouTube & I could chromecast it), but there's a clip of Hughes talking on the @SouthamptonFC twitter page about his plans.

Aha! - Full 10 minute video is now up (On YouTube :D)

• 4 weeks later...

Adam Blackmore did an interview with Hughes prior to the China trip.

@AdamBlackmore: Hughes excited to have Elyounoussi - first full interview with the #saintsfc boss since taking the job full-time will air after the weekend. Talks about taking the job, squad strength, Tadic departure, Stuart Armstrong and more....

Should be online later.