Hughes - Confirmed

Stud mark of doom

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

Pretty poor record don’t you think?

Because he turned it around for us in 8 matches we think he’s the messiah.

577 points from 452 matches is not bad at all, considering the quality of clubs.

in the last 10 seasons, that points rate would get you;

8th, 8th, 11th, 10th, 10th, 8th, 10th, 8th, 11th, 11th.

After last year, I'd take that, hopefully with a cup run too.

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

If he performed to that standard we'd end up with 49pts next season with 13 wins, would have thought most of our supporters would be happy with that after what we've endured this season

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

who thinks he's the Messiah?

You dont like him we get it but never my choice until deep in **** but he deserves the chance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Funnily enough they were the one I looked up to see if they had had more - looks like they've also had 26.

Just found an article which ranks last season's PL teams for number of managers they have had in PL era. It was from September 2017 but if I've remembered the moves since then correctly the updated list is as follows, with the number representing the number of time the club has changed manager.

Palace 33

Saints 27

Brighton 26

Swansea, West Brom, Leicester 25

Huddersfield 23

Newcastle 22

Watford 21

Chelsea 20

Spurs 18

West Ham 17

Man City, Stoke 16

Bournemouth, Burnely 13

Everton 12

Liverpool 8

Man Utd 5

Arsenal 4

Not a high position to be proud of!

Can any sad or clever person do a list of all the managers as I can't be bothered myself - this is after a question from my daughter, asking if I knew them all. To be honest I was really surprised there have been that many

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

No pretty good stats mid table stats which is what we are

Can any sad or clever person do a list of all the managers as I can't be bothered myself - this is after a question from my daughter, asking if I knew them all. To be honest I was really surprised there have been that many

Why not impress your kid by typing "List of Southampton managers" into Google?

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

I don’t think that’s a “pretty poor record” whatsoever.

452 matches

152 wins

121 draws

174 loses.

That's only pretty poor if you expect us to have Poch, Pep or Klopp.

The fact is that his record is pretty much tied in with the natrual position of our club.

I am neither sad nor clever - but I can point you towards a website for you and your daughter.

http://www.soccerbase.com

Good. I'm not a massive fan but what I saw in his 8 week tenure was enough to make me feel more positive than I have for 2 years. He re-installed some team spirit and got us playing the best football we've played in two years. If he brings some stability and a few mid-table finishes I'll be happy.

This more or less sums up my view. I don't get to SMS much these days owing to family commitments; the 0-0 against Hull at the fag end of Puel was dreary, training ground pap, and the 3-2 defeat vs Chelsea was actually thrilling, committed and made me a little proud to be a Saints fan. There are obviously players who can get either better (Stephens, Boufal) or more consistent (Tadic, Redmond, Lemina) under Hughes. You get the impression Hughes can be flexible with tactics and can play to the strengths of the team we have in reality (rather than the one we'd like to have!). I think the learning curve from the West Ham horror show to the narrow defeats to Arse/Chel showed he's better than the low points on his CV suggest.

The board really need to sort out our transfer policy. Required: one high quality CB and a replacement for Davis. Hoedt and Carillo can do one. Sims, Targett, JWP and McQueen to be preferred to big signings who aren't in the 1st 11.

I'm more hopeful than I've been for a couple of years.

So we have a decision.

But what does it really mean?

For me it’s positive. Hughes has clearly got just enough out of our current squad to keep us up - just. But with some cost - Boufal, our zero goal Argentine - and others want out.

It’s also a squad with players past their best. Hail Bernard all you like he’s slowing up Southampton. Love Steve Davies but he’s absent.

Our defence is shaky, very shaky. Needs significant investment.

And shortly our best like Tadic (yes he’s now our best - OMG) will face the circling vultures of the top 6 clubs... and we know what happens when Les Reed et al are offered a cheque.

Hughes is here to stabilise. Good. But there’s a chance that our football fantasists in the Boardroom are also gambling on another near disaster based on his leadership to see us through.

Hughes or not, we are in one almighty mess. Best and those with potential will want out when the carrot danglers start their work, Chinese holiday or not.

The only chance of a mid table season and an avoidance of the Boardroom debacle of the past 3-4 years is a change of direction. That requires rapid and significant-investment from our major owner. Does he understand that?

So, for me Hughes is the only decision based on such a poor squad situation. He’s there to avoid the drop again. But unless we see Les and the gang change their selling philosophy and significant investment early from our owner, expect pain not pleasure next season.

Or.... is Hughes being picked to do what he did at Man City??

To stabilise a sinking ship - and our squad is only destined to be weakened this summer based on Boardroom philosophy to date so there’s no denying it - then receive an inject of stars to start the transformation?

It’s what Hughes did before to build City. It requires a wealthy owner (and we have that despite the evidence so far of lack of investment). Is the Chinese tour the spark for that?

I don’t know where this will go, but as long as our Chinese owner trusts our current Boardroom the first option looks most likely.

Prepare for sales, loss of talent and another relegation battle.... Can Hughes maintain his record of never being relegated with a further weakened squad?

Cheerful soul, aren't you.

Personally am quite optimistic about Hughes. Hope he's given more power than Les, otherwise the toys will be out of the pram pretty quickly. He's around our current level, and unlikely to want to go elsewhere very quickly. After having the worst manager in our club's history, and dithering too long about sacking him ('being honourable'), we need stability, and Hughes will provide that. He will also have enough backbone to stand up to our bunch of divas, hopefully. Therefore I would hope our signings will be a mixture of flair, but also hard, team-building graft. Like him in his playing days, in fact. (mostly)

The one thing I hope that Hughes demands from the players is a hard nosed attitude more in line with the top teams. Hojberg and Redmond in possession of the ball after being penalised just abandoned it and allowed a quick free kick that ultimately led to a goal. I'd like to see the players in those sort of circumstances deny the opponents possession, delay the kick. Later in the game learn to keep possession on the touchlines or in the corner. Play the ball off opponents, throw ins down the lines, kill off the game by continually stopping play. Better teams than us do it. Backing off onto the edge of the penalty area and hoping to survive an aerial bombardment doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

We need to be in the referee's ear all the time. We don't get our fair share from the referees because we are too weak and meek and accept our fate too easily. we need to grow a reputation of being a decent team but boy are we a nasty bunch.

The one thing I hope that Hughes demands from the players is a hard nosed attitude more in line with the top teams. Hojberg and Redmond in possession of the ball after being penalised just abandoned it and allowed a quick free kick that ultimately led to a goal. I'd like to see the players in those sort of circumstances deny the opponents possession, delay the kick. Later in the game learn to keep possession on the touchlines or in the corner. Play the ball off opponents, throw ins down the lines, kill off the game by continually stopping play. Better teams than us do it. Backing off onto the edge of the penalty area and hoping to survive an aerial bombardment doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

We need to be in the referee's ear all the time. We don't get our fair share from the referees because we are too weak and meek and accept our fate too easily. we need to grow a reputation of being a decent team but boy are we a nasty bunch.

You sound like Leeds under Revie, the most hated team I remember. No thank you.

You sound like Leeds under Revie, the most hated team I remember. No thank you.

All the things he suggested we should do would make us harder to beat and we should therefore do them. It won’t turn us into Don Revie’s Leeds either.

Hopeful Hughes' appointment will lead to a change in our incredibly predictable tactics, but how his relationship with Reed plays out will be fairly evident from how many centre backs we play in the first Prem game of the season.

I'm not holding my breath for any investment from Gao, but we're sustainable with the tv money and will almost certainly continue with the same "try and find value" options and sell successes on. Hughes will have as much input into the player recruitment as the other managers, which is an important one of many voices after the data flags up a shortlist, as far as I can tell. Can't see us changing that much, but we absolutely have to change the long-standing pattern of play, get in a defence-magnet to create space for the attackers and start passing the effing thing in behind defences occasionally rather than just crossing it.

Hopeful Hughes' appointment will lead to a change in our incredibly predictable tactics, but how his relationship with Reed plays out will be fairly evident from how many centre backs we play in the first Prem game of the season.

I'm not holding my breath for any investment from Gao, but we're sustainable with the tv money and will almost certainly continue with the same "try and find value" options and sell successes on. Hughes will have as much input into the player recruitment as the other managers, which is an important one of many voices after the data flags up a shortlist, as far as I can tell. Can't see us changing that much, but we absolutely have to change the long-standing pattern of play, get in a defence-magnet to create space for the attackers and start passing the effing thing in behind defences occasionally rather than just crossing it.

It would be really interesting if Les Reed could bring himself to a supporters meeting to explain his views to us.

So we have a decision.

But what does it really mean?

For me it’s positive. Hughes has clearly got just enough out of our current squad to keep us up - just. But with some cost - Boufal, our zero goal Argentine - and others want out.

It’s also a squad with players past their best. Hail Bernard all you like he’s slowing up Southampton. Love Steve Davies but he’s absent.

Our defence is shaky, very shaky. Needs significant investment.

And shortly our best like Tadic (yes he’s now our best - OMG) will face the circling vultures of the top 6 clubs... and we know what happens when Les Reed et al are offered a cheque.

Hughes is here to stabilise. Good. But there’s a chance that our football fantasists in the Boardroom are also gambling on another near disaster based on his leadership to see us through.

Hughes or not, we are in one almighty mess. Best and those with potential will want out when the carrot danglers start their work, Chinese holiday or not.

The only chance of a mid table season and an avoidance of the Boardroom debacle of the past 3-4 years is a change of direction. That requires rapid and significant-investment from our major owner. Does he understand that?

So, for me Hughes is the only decision based on such a poor squad situation. He’s there to avoid the drop again. But unless we see Les and the gang change their selling philosophy and significant investment early from our owner, expect pain not pleasure next season.

Or.... is Hughes being picked to do what he did at Man City??

To stabilise a sinking ship - and our squad is only destined to be weakened this summer based on Boardroom philosophy to date so there’s no denying it - then receive an inject of stars to start the transformation?

It’s what Hughes did before to build City. It requires a wealthy owner (and we have that despite the evidence so far of lack of investment). Is the Chinese tour the spark for that?

I don’t know where this will go, but as long as our Chinese owner trusts our current Boardroom the first option looks most likely.

Prepare for sales, loss of talent and another relegation battle.... Can Hughes maintain his record of never being relegated with a further weakened squad?

I'm quite worried about player sales and purchases during the summer. We'll learn soon how much influence Mark Hughes has negotiated with the Board when comings and goings are announced. I'm hoping that Reed will, at least in the next few months, be sympathetic to Hughes's requirements, and will not sell our better players against his advise for quick bucks. But we certainly do need to clear out the dross and lazier performers.

Time for a new five year plan?

That's only pretty poor if you expect us to have Poch, Pep or Klopp.

The fact is that his record is pretty much tied in with the natrual position of our club.

It's a pretty poor record, if my maths are correct (perhaps not).

1.2765... points per game

*28 Games = 35.7433... points

That said, I'm happy with Saint Sparky, even if I think the contract is a year too long.

That said, I'm happy with Saint Sparky, even if I think the contract is a year too long.

38 games in a season so 1.2765 x 38 = 48.507.

Good enough for 9th place this season. I’d take that next season.

Probably not from the club's perspective. They'll hope to get 2 good years out of Hughes, cross fingers he's a success and then demand a fee for him when he moves to, say, someone like Everton.

Just get behind him and the team next season ffs, Our support towards the end of the season was great at times let's roll that over into the next season because let's be honest we've been **** poor at times over the last 2 years !

Your boys looked a good team yesterday, far too good for the cats.

As has been said, he won't actually complete the three years. If he does he'll be the first since Chris Nicholl.

We probably won't want him going into the 'final year' of his contract with that being widely known. Although I suspect this was a little exaggerated in the debate over Koeman, I suspect a decision will be made towards the end of the second year whether the contract will be extended or severed at that point. Two years is probably the maximum we'll see.

38 games in a season so 1.2765 x 38 = 48.507.

Good enough for 9th place this season. I’d take that next season.

I knew my maths were letting me down somewhere :blush:

Your boys looked a good team yesterday, far too good for the cats.

:blush: when it comes to Hurling, I'm Kilkenny all the way (I'm from Mayo - my Mother was from Kilkenny). I was very quiet today in work :blush:

People who complain that Hughes won’t have Saints competing for a top four place should face up to the fact that no manager could do that on our club’s FFP enforced budget. It’s impossible to compete over 38 games against clubs that can spend £75m on one player and have squads where each player is unaffordable to Southampton or the majority of premier league sides.

Hughes took Stoke to 9th place in 3 consecutive seasons. If he can do that for us we should be more than satisfied.

Reaching the next level doesn’t depend on the manager but whether the board can increase our revenue to give us more financial clout within FFP rules.

People who complain that Hughes won’t have Saints competing for a top four place should face up to the fact that no manager could do that on our club’s FFP enforced budget. It’s impossible to compete over 38 games against clubs that can spend £75m on one player and have squads where each player is unaffordable to Southampton or the majority of premier league sides.

Hughes took Stoke to 9th place in 3 consecutive seasons. If he can do that for us we should be more than satisfied.

Reaching the next level doesn’t depend on the manager but whether the board can increase our revenue to give us more financial clout within FFP rules.

So 9th is now acceptable? Where as two seasons ago 8th was considered a poor season that saw the manager fired.

So 9th is now acceptable? Where as two seasons ago 8th was considered a poor season that saw the manager fired.

For the 1,178th time.

8th wasn't poor. 46 points was. As was the dire football.

And please don't take the word of the dimmest "Professor" on record, continuing his one-man crusade to bring FFP to the masses.

Pleased it's finally sorted. You can argue about the ambition of his appointment if you like, personally I think he's the right bloke to come in and get us moving in the right direction again.

I don't see it as a lack of ambition in any way, he has a lot of critics out there who he will want to silence and I think we (should) give him the chance to do that over the next few years. Whilst also enjoying an upturn in fortunes on the pitch as well, hopefully.

Pleased it's finally sorted. You can argue about the ambition of his appointment if you like, personally I think he's the right bloke to come in and get us moving in the right direction again.

I don't see it as a lack of ambition in any way, he has a lot of critics out there who he will want to silence and I think we (should) give him the chance to do that over the next few years. Whilst also enjoying an upturn in fortunes on the pitch as well, hopefully.

Well said, Sir.

Doesn't matter how many times it's explained. It never sinks in. Same with many pundits, Everton fans get it now. What do you expect etc.

Many can't seem to comprehend the difference between 8th on 60 points and 8th on 46 points. Despite it meaning far more wins and few defeats, more goals, fewer conceded. So basically far more weekends where you've enjoyed watching your team and come away happy. Players performing to potential, being excited about the team, seeing players improve, beating some of the big clubs, having more memorable days.

Heaven forbid anyone aspire to that.

That's the most sensible thing I have read on this forum for years.

Puel was terrible. MoPey was terrible. Both were correctly sacked and anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking something imho.

The 8 games under Hughes is the best football I have watched at Saints in the past 2 years.

Puel was terrible. MoPey was terrible. Both were correctly sacked and anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking something imho.

The 8 games under Hughes is the best football I have watched at Saints in the past 2 years.

Yeah, it's funny how things work out sometimes. He'd never be on our radar usually, but he's probably just what we need at the moment.

Did a very good job keeping us up & deserves the chance.

I probably agree. The biggest difference is the spirit and commitment of the team. Plus more positivity and urgency. All that affects the fans and the noise levels and atmosphere lift.

The support during the last 15 minutes at Swansea was awesome, right up there with the best I can remember in 50 years, totally deserved because of the utter determination and commitment of the team. Something that's been missing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

puel was not sacked for 8th place. it was the inability to prove he could turn it around and not scoring at home in our last 6/7 games or whatever it was took its toll.

if i remember correctly, i think we only managed around 22 points in our last 21 games or i remember seeing a stat like that. that's relegation form.

although 2017-18 proved that we were in a relegation battle so maybe puel isn't to blame and our squad was just whack anyway- but that's a completely different discussion anyway!

good call to get hughes in- confident we won't get relegated with him, but not expecting a comfortable top 10 either. if he can offer solid cup runs i'll be more than happy.

I agree with the Strachan comparison. He had a distinctly average record prior to us but he ended up being a good fit for the club. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I reckon Hughes will do well.

Talking about previous I thought Burley with his exemplary record at Ipswich and Hearts would be amazing for us. Look how that turned out.

Isn’t the strachan comparison a bit disprespectful to Hughes - his record is loads better than Gordon’s on arrival.

I agree I’d be happy if he does as well whilst he’s here!

Agreed but I was pushing the good fit point.