Women’s football - saints

EBS1980

Heard a faciating interview with one of the England national players. She said that they could compete with everyone up to the age of about 18. After that, the physical strength of men was too much. She also said that because women weren't as strong, then if the pitch was reduced in size, and maybe the goals (I can't recall), then it would be a better spectacle. It was then put to her that if you did that, then it would be a different game, to which the reply was, that men and women were so different anyway, that it was already a different game. Well, that's how I remember hearing it.

small provincial southern club fails again to get progress help from a football authority, what a surprise.

I think Lewes are a small provincial southern club!

Now we have to overtake Lewis, Brighton & Reading Women’s teams and Brighton & Bournemouth Men’s teams to be the undisputed top football team in the south again.

Heard a faciating interview with one of the England national players. She said that they could compete with everyone up to the age of about 18. After that, the physical strength of men was too much. She also said that because women weren't as strong, then if the pitch was reduced in size, and maybe the goals (I can't recall), then it would be a better spectacle. It was then put to her that if you did that, then it would be a different game, to which the reply was, that men and women were so different anyway, that it was already a different game. Well, that's how I remember hearing it.

Australia’s women did not fare too well against a U15 boys side from Newcastle while preparing for the last Olympics...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3609949/Matildas-lose-7-0-Newcastle-Jets-15s-Rio-Olympics-warm-up.html

Men and women ARE fundamentally different (on average), of course you'll have the odd example of Venus Williams or Ronda Rousey being larger and stronger than most men but they are the exception rather than the rule. We're a biologically dimorphic species, it's scientific fact.

USA women also lost 5-2 to Dallas u15 boys last year.

The class difference between the top men and women is huge. Probably in the realms of 20-0 with the women hardly getting a touch.

It doesn't mean the women's game can't be both good for the sport and entertaining.

The class difference between the top men and women is huge. Probably in the realms of 20-0 with the women hardly getting a touch.

It doesn't mean the women's game can't be both good for the sport and entertaining.

A game between the two world cup winning teams would be interesting...

Exactly. They all deserve a pat on the bottom

No problem, as long as you don't mind a kick in the balls.*

*If I'm having a good day. Otherwise it'll be your cruciates.

Ha Ha, yes it was kind of directed at the patronising nature of the previous post 'It doesn't mean the women's game can't be both good for the sport and entertaining' Well there you go girls. Saints Web has given women's football it's blessing!

A game between the two world cup winning teams would be interesting...

Without wanting to sound disrespectful I actually think the Men could pretty much have 90%+ of the game in the women's half with the women lucky to get any sort of shot toward goal, the score would likely be 25-0 or more.

Womens sport in the main is nowhere near the men's level, but as I said earlier doesn't stop it being both good for the sport and entertaining. Most people love/like some type of sport and recognise the benefits, no matter your sex/race/religion/nationality/ability/age/mobility, sport is for all!

Errrr sorry got a little carried away there, but you know what I mean.

Men and women ARE fundamentally different (on average), of course you'll have the odd example of Venus Williams or Ronda Rousey being larger and stronger than most men but they are the exception rather than the rule. We're a biologically dimorphic species, it's scientific fact.

Absolutely. I sometimes think that the striving for equality (which is understandable) sometimes is not the best thing. As the England player mentioned, if pitches were smaller, it would - or could - be better. But I guess it will never happen, as if it did, then that could be seen as an admission that the woman's game is inferior to the men's, rather than just being different. Look to cricket - the women's game seem to have it right there. While bowling etc is slower, the boundaries are closer. You've got Chris Gayle who can hit a ball over 100m but there aren't any women who can do that (or are there?). So they have adapted the pitch to suit the players' physical abilities. Yes, it is easier to do in cricket without visually admitting women are weaker (you've still got the 22 yard wicket which is the most important thing), but maybe the women's (football) game should be more pragmatic.

Edited by angelman

Ha Ha, yes it was kind of directed at the patronising nature of the previous post 'It doesn't mean the women's game can't be both good for the sport and entertaining' Well there you go girls. Saints Web has given women's football it's blessing!

Looks like you're safe then!

That's my point. It would be interesting to once and for all showcase the absolute gulf in quality.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I don't think there's any doubt amongst intelligent people.

It's not necessarily a problem for the women's game though. Women's tennis does OK and the gulf is the same there. Any of the top women would get absolutely destroyed by any of the top 1000 men but lots of people don't seem to mind.

I don't think there's any doubt amongst intelligent people.

It's not necessarily a problem for the women's game though. Women's tennis does OK and the gulf is the same there. Any of the top women would get absolutely destroyed by any of the top 1000 men but lots of people don't seem to mind.

I never understood why they don't play women's sports in tandem with the men's (it works for tennis.) if they had the women's World Cup on during the men's version and extended that to cricket and other sports then it would definitely get a lot more interest. I personally wouldn't watch a women's World Cup, but if it's on immediately after the men's game then I'd probably give it a watch.

I personally wouldn't watch a women's World Cup, but if it's on immediately after the men's game then I'd probably give it a watch.

We all know what it'll take for blokes to watch it but unfortunately political correctness will get in the way.

The propblem chick football has it tries to pretend it's legitimate elite sport. Like somehow the top bird that plays it is as deserving of the national stage as Harry Kane or Wayne Roony. Tennis, athletics and swimming are amongst those sports that pull it off (no pun intended) but football doesn't, because they're so hopeless at it. They should be changing and amending their game, thinking out of the box. Look at volley ball. They've devoloped it and changes it from a boring blokes game to an exciting sport. It's popular, probably more so than the blokes game. The birds who run their football should think out of the box a bit. Just trying to play a blokes sport won't work. Maybe a futsol type small sided game, no tackling, under head height etc. As well a few other things that are probably better left under the banner of "promoting the game" on here, as I don't want to be portrayed as a sexist dinosaur

I'm just bemused about how much discussion women's football gets. I couldn't care less about it.

No problem with women playing football, of course. But then I also have no problem with the Dog & Duck pub launching a league for men aged over 70. I'm just uninterested in watching it.

I do get ****ed off if I hear a BBC radio report saying something like "Man City beat Arsenal 3-0 last night to reach their 4th Cup Final"..and then after a swift "wtf?", realising they are talking about the women's game.

Don't mind if we have a women's team or not, but if we do it should be under the "Saints in the Community" banner, not considered part of our main activity.

We all know what it'll take for blokes to watch it but unfortunately political correctness will get in the way.

The propblem chick football has it tries to pretend it's legitimate elite sport. Like somehow the top bird that plays it is as deserving of the national stage as Harry Kane or Wayne Roony. Tennis, athletics and swimming are amongst those sports that pull it off (no pun intended) but football doesn't, because they're so hopeless at it. They should be changing and amending their game, thinking out of the box. Look at volley ball. They've devoloped it and changes it from a boring blokes game to an exciting sport. It's popular, probably more so than the blokes game. The birds who run their football should think out of the box a bit. Just trying to play a blokes sport won't work. Maybe a futsol type small sided game, no tackling, under head height etc. As well a few other things that are probably better left under the banner of "promoting the game" on here, as I don't want to be portrayed as a sexist dinosaur

Peephole Pringles?

Absolutely couldn't care less about women football. I'm just wondering how long it will be before someone somewhere starts saying women should get the same pay as male footballers. No doubt expecting the Sky etc to fund it. At that point I would cancel my Sky subscription........

Absolutely couldn't care less about women football. I'm just wondering how long it will be before someone somewhere starts saying women should get the same pay as male footballers. No doubt expecting the Sky etc to fund it. At that point I would cancel my Sky subscription........

I had this discussion with someone at the time of the Women's World Cup in USA. They said that they should, I said that it was determined by the market attractiveness. I think I am right in saying that in USA, the women are better paid than the men (or used to be) as their appeal was higher. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33114171 (Maybe that changed when Hope Solo's video playing with her growler appeared on line!!!). I pointed out that the pinnacle of the game (the Woman's WC) had half empty stadiums, even when the hosts were playing. The demand is not there. The TV companies will not pay the big money for rights to air it. Therefore wages won't be equal. I think I am right in saying that Messi earns three & a half times more in a week, than the best paid woman footballer in Spain earns in a year.

The FA a short while back showed how out of touch they are with the modern day when they suggested placing a cap on women players wages. When I read it, aside from thinking "really ?!!" I was more stunned that the insular minded fools actually let that thought escape from the box into the public domain.

I never understood why they don't play women's sports in tandem with the men's (it works for tennis.) if they had the women's World Cup on during the men's version and extended that to cricket and other sports then it would definitely get a lot more interest. I personally wouldn't watch a women's World Cup, but if it's on immediately after the men's game then I'd probably give it a watch.

It only works because women's tennis (and athletics) is at least watchable and entertaining. I can watch Wozniacki/Halep/Williams etc. and think 'this is a decent game of tennis'. They lack the power of the mens game but the talent is certainly there.

Football just isn't like that. If a women's WC was run simulateously I would switch off immediately after the mens game, same as I would the Antiques Roadshow, if that happened to be on next.

It only works because women's tennis (and athletics) is at least watchable and entertaining. I can watch Wozniacki/Halep/Williams etc. and think 'this is a decent game of tennis'. They lack the power of the mens game but the talent is certainly there.

Football just isn't like that. If a women's WC was run simulateously I would switch off immediately after the mens game, same as I would the Antiques Roadshow, if that happened to be on next.

My point is it would definitely increase the audience and raise the profile if that is what they want. I'm not fussed either way I just thought it curious that they tried to make it its own separate thing and yet had the exact same rules and regulations as the men which highlights the difference in quality.