Cedric

Dazza82

'Man Utd in talks to sign Dalot'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11389382

Well i presumed Cedric would be off to Man Utd this summer but it looks highly unlikely if thats true.

Given his comments about him wanting to go last summer who do u think would be in for him as i dont see a need for any other top premier league club getting a RB.

So will he be staying??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Because clubs show more sense than to judge on the short term. Cedric has had good seasons and won the euros with portugal, his reputation remains decent. Everyone was pretty **** last season under poor management. van Dijk were useless for us this season too, Bertrand really poor compared to previous seasons, same with Romeu and others.

But as he cannot cross accurately I don't think he will go to a top team

Things can change, but Cedric is wanted by both Arsenal and Spurs, with Arsenal his preference (but new manager may have an impact on that - was all but done before Wenger announcement).

I cant say who the source is, but VERY close to the player.

Very unlikely surely, he's very similar to Bellerin, flatters to deceive because he's quite quick, not great defensively and cant cross.

Haha, you'd think so, but thats such an Arsenal thing to do (or was).

Time will tell I guess, but my source on this was basically as good as you could get.

Things can change, but Cedric is wanted by both Arsenal and Spurs, with Arsenal his preference (but new manager may have an impact on that - was all but done before Wenger announcement).

i'd tend to believe that, it's well documented that Cedric thought he was leaving last summer and in those cases we normally have agreements with the player that next time we don't stand in the way. Also think Arsenal are far more likely than Spurs in terms of a signing.

For what it's worth i'm genuinely not sure if he's of the standard that they should be looking at, there's obviously quality in there but he flatters to deceive a lot of the time. Does worry me though who'd replace him, left back we have choices but right back already looks weak, even without removing our first choice.

i'd tend to believe that, it's well documented that Cedric thought he was leaving last summer and in those cases we normally have agreements with the player that next time we don't stand in the way. Also think Arsenal are far more likely than Spurs in terms of a signing.

For what it's worth i'm genuinely not sure if he's of the standard that they should be looking at, there's obviously quality in there but he flatters to deceive a lot of the time. Does worry me though who'd replace him, left back we have choices but right back already looks weak, even without removing our first choice.

So you are worried about a replacement of a player who flatters to deceive most of the time?

So you are worried about a replacement of a player who flatters to deceive most of the time?

I'm worried that the player who flatters to deceive most of the time is the best choice of a very weak selection, and we'd go from needing 1 right back to 2, alongside all the other positions we currently have holes in.

In fact i'm just generally worried about the quality of our squad and the need to significantly rebuild over the summer, whilst somehow shipping out the massive amounts of mediocre or poor players we've accrued in the squad.

I'm worried that the player who flatters to deceive most of the time is the best choice of a very weak selection, and we'd go from needing 1 right back to 2, alongside all the other positions we currently have holes in.

In fact i'm just generally worried about the quality of our squad and the need to significantly rebuild over the summer, whilst somehow shipping out the massive amounts of mediocre or poor players we've accrued in the squad.

The trouble is, as weak as our squad is were only (if we were to keep everyone, which we won’t) 3 or 4 players (a cb, DM, Winger and striker / fit CA) short of having a very good squad.

I don’t believe that there is anyone on this forum who can argue that player for player, Burnley have a better squad than us.

We’d struggle, massively, to get better R/L backs than Bertrand and Cedric, whom are both good enough for top 6.

Personally if anybody wants to buy our right back I'd be delighted. We need a quick right back that is a good defender and can hold his own at back post crosses. Apart from being cheap and nippy, why anybody would want to buy a small full back for the Premier league where they would be quickly targeted and picked off, as is the case, is beyond me.

Personally if anybody wants to buy our right back I'd be delighted. We need a quick right back that is a good defender and can hold his own at back post crosses. Apart from being cheap and nippy, why anybody would want to buy a small full back for the Premier league where they would be quickly targeted and picked off, as is the case, is beyond me.

Difficulty is finding one with those attributes. Rarely is a player quick, tall, strong, good on the ball, can cross....you're looking at upwards of £30m for a RB if you want that kind of player. I can't think of many in the league! Walker the only one

Difficulty is finding one with those attributes. Rarely is a player quick, tall, strong, good on the ball, can cross....you're looking at upwards of £30m for a RB if you want that kind of player. I can't think of many in the league! Walker the only one

Trippier maybe?

Cedric is an appalling footballer. The only thing he's had going for him since he's been here is being better than his competition (Martina/Pied).

So appalling that he continues to get picked by Portugal and played for them when they won Euro 2016, still, you know best.

Read my Avatar.

One of our most underrated players but in the last season many fans favourite for the "ritual kicking/punch bag of the year". If he goes it will be a net loss to the Team. If Hughes can sort out his inconsistent crossing, the rest is largely very good.

Plus (major issue for the Hughes and the Board to consider) I'll have the unacceptable inconvenience of having to change the Avatar.

So appalling that he continues to get picked by Portugal and played for them when they won Euro 2016, still, you know best.

The irony of those obvious facts are spot on - but they will probably be lost on most of the armchair critics on here

He's not an appaling footballer, just pretty average. I wouldn't be against losing him and getting a fresh replacement in there.

If this is the standard of player Arsenal are now looking at then their fans best start to reassses their expectations.

Cedric is a very very good player. His end product is pretty poor, but as a defender he is very good.

He’ll look great next to a CB who can head the ball and has the intellegance to pull across and cover him on those deep crosses.

Cedric is a very very good player. His end product is pretty poor, but as a defender he is very good.

He’ll look great next to a CB who can head the ball and has the intellegance to pull across and cover him on those deep crosses.

If we stop playing in such a way that our fullbacks are our main creative outlet, then he'll be fine. As it is, his consistent overhitting of crosses is certainly a significant contributing factor to our woeful performance in attack the past two seasons. Would love to know quite how many attacks petered out over the course of a season as a result of Cedric booming his cross straight over to the opposite wing.

Rarely is that a full back, people that are quick, tall, good on the ball do not generally get played at full back. Also rarely are people who are big and strong that quick, hence why people like Drogba are such rare commodities.

Most full backs are not very big.

Cedric is an appalling footballer. The only thing he's had going for him since he's been here is being better than his competition (Martina/Pied).

What rubbish, he's easily been one of the consistent full backs in the league over the last 3 years, he just had a below par season like everyone else did and even then was probably our best and most consistent defender.

No idea why he gets such stick that he does when he is clearly a quality defender.

How many RBs do they need?

Spurs have Trippier, Aurier, and just locked down Walker-Peters on a big new contract.

Arsenal have Bellerin and are about to sign the experienced Liechtensteiner on a free as back up.

I'd be amazed if Cedric turned up in North London.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He improved towards the end of the season but for a large part of the season he was truly dreadful. Certainly not good enough for the top 6, so if Arsenal come calling, sell him quickly, there are far better options out there. Someone who can at least cross and we're onto a winner.

The trouble is, as weak as our squad is were only (if we were to keep everyone, which we won’t) 3 or 4 players (a cb, DM, Winger and striker / fit CA) short of having a very good squad.

I don’t believe that there is anyone on this forum who can argue that player for player, Burnley have a better squad than us.

We’d struggle, massively, to get better R/L backs than Bertrand and Cedric, whom are both good enough for top 6.

I tend to agree with Simon Peach, i think we're actually a pretty poor side generally speaking, with a serious lack of experience through the spine of the team. I can definitely see a world where we lose both of fullbacks this summer, that'd leave us needing first choice signings in

RB, LB, CB, CM, LM or RM and CF.

that's a significant upheaval to the squad, and we've all seen what happens to teams that makes that amount of changes (worse if we lose McCarthy too).

Trippier maybe?

I'd love Trippier and he was on our radar before Mitchell (the black box) took him to Spurs. I don't he'll be leaving them though.

How many RBs do they need?

Spurs have Trippier, Aurier, and just locked down Walker-Peters on a big new contract.

Arsenal have Bellerin and are about to sign the experienced Liechtensteiner on a free as back up.

I'd be amazed if Cedric turned up in North London.

Would happily take him in exchange.

Moritz Bauer did very well for Stoke when he came in. He'd be on my shortlist

I guess that explains why he has a Euro winners' medal.

In fairness, so does Eder. ;)

Don't agree with the statement he's an appalling footballer, he's decent enough. Whether he's better than what Clyne was at Saints is another question entirely.

• 3 months later...
Thought he was one of our better performers at Anfield without doing anything groundbreaking.. we would struggle to sign a better RB

Could probably sign Clyne back, or Fredericks from Fulham, both are better than Cedric - or potentially a random unknown RB from Europe somewhere who I've never heard of.

Cedric isn't good enough.

Thought he was one of our better performers at Anfield without doing anything groundbreaking.. we would struggle to sign a better RB

That is exactly the point, at this moment in time with the players we have and a journeymen manager we are very lucky to have kept him.

If he plays badly from time to time it is hardly surprising with the woeful lack of quality around him. It must be depressing for a European Nations Cup winner to swallow the bitter pill of lining up alongside Stevens, Vestergaard & Hoedt and having to cover their arses because of the inevitable clangers that they drop in every match. He is better than this team so does not have the platform anymore to exploit his talent as an attacking wing-back. He'll go for sure when his contract runs out.