On a scale of 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Saints as a club to follow?

benjii

We are not attractive to "new" fans in anyway

I do genuinely worry about the next generation of SFC fan as I don't see what we have to offer?

On a scale of 1-10, right now we're are a 1 or 2

New fans are hereditary as long as saints fans keep knocking out kids there will be a next generation..

Probably a 2. If I look back over my 40 years as a Saints fan it's had the occasional high point but has mostly been a series of disappointments. Runners up in the league in '84 was great but nobody remembers runners up. Lost the 2003 FA Cup final. Lost the 2017 League Cup final. Beaten in numerous semi-finals. Even when we were promoted from League One and the Championship it wasn't as Champions. It's a sorry state of affairs when the highlight of your Saints supporting life was seeing the club win the 2010 JPT over Carlisle Utd.

Would I change any of it? Of course I would, but life as a Saints fan is never straight forward and in a strange way that holds more appeal than following a club like Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

New fans are hereditary as long as saints fans keep knocking out kids there will be a next generation..

Hmm, a nice notion but in reality it does not work that way every time. Do you have kids and do they support Saints? The first game I took my son to was (sorry to be a bit gloaty) the Rio derby between Vasco da Gama and Botofogo. My son is now a Vasco fan and isn't really fussed about Saints at all, regardless of geography. Lucky sod.

As a father of a 2 week old boy, I will give him the same choice I was given.

You can support whoever you want but I will only buy you a Saints kit and take you to watch Saints.

I don’t think you can beat watching a game live, something we can offer easier than supporting one of the big boys.

10 out of 10 if the recommendee is a masochist with great powers to defer gratification, and who has a special penchant for being cuckolded by Liverpool and witnessing all hope and victories snatched away by endless 93rd minute nightmare goals.

Hmm, a nice notion but in reality it does not work that way every time. Do you have kids and do they support Saints? The first game I took my son to was (sorry to be a bit gloaty) the Rio derby between Vasco da Gama and Botofogo. My son is now a Vasco fan and isn't really fussed about Saints at all, regardless of geography. Lucky sod.

My nippers first game was Charlton at home the season we got relegated from the championship he saw us lose but he was hooked he is red and white through and through now :D

At the final game of the game of the season, I was there with my youngest son, and my second eldest son was there with his son (4 years old, first game ever). I don't think you recommend a team, it's in your blood.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I've always believed that you support the professional team closest to where you grow up—or where you have decided to set up home. In that sense, you don't choose a team; the team chooses you.

So, I would not be recommending Saints to anybody. If they're from the So'ton area, it ought to be their team anyway!

Edited by Hamilton Saint

I will continue to encourage (brainwash!) my grandchildren to support the Saints !

They are the team of our family and there is no other consideration ! All this cr@p about we're having a bad time etc.. is nonsense because ups and downs are an inevitable part of the game !

If you only want to follow winning (big) teams then you are a 'glory hunter' and for me, that is shallow and unthinkable !

Saints till I die !

This is a surprisingly good question.

My initial answer was 10, obviously, and surprised it was even asked. We are the best.

It did made me think though, this is why i got so annoyed with puel and Mo Pe and their crap football. I don’t expect to win every match - that would be as tedious as watching Chelsea, United or whoever, but I do expect us to have a go. With Hughes we have our club back.

Also, there is clearly some uncertainty but looking back over the last 40 or so years We have clearly made an absolutely brilliant decision. To take one example - the last goal at the Dell. No club can compete with that - Priceless. And our climb through the divisions following Markus’s intervention was amazing to witness.

It’s not all about winning either - one of my favourite away trips was our relegation at Forest. Brilliant atmosphere - some great tribute from the Forest fans too.

Life is not all about winning. Nor is football.

This is a surprisingly good question.

My initial answer was 10, obviously, and surprised it was even asked. We are the best.

It did made me think though, this is why i got so annoyed with puel and Mo Pe and their crap football. I don’t expect to win every match - that would be as tedious as watching Chelsea, United or whoever, but I do expect us to have a go. With Hughes we have our club back.

Also, there is clearly some uncertainty but looking back over the last 40 or so years We have clearly made an absolutely brilliant decision. To take one example - the last goal at the Dell. No club can compete with that - Priceless. And our climb through the divisions following Markus’s intervention was amazing to witness.

It’s not all about winning either - one of my favourite away trips was our relegation at Forest. Brilliant atmosphere - some great tribute from the Forest fans too.

Life is not all about winning. Nor is football.

Oh no - I’ve now spotted this a question the club is genuinely asking in a survey.

FFS! Who puts these surveys together? I hope they aren’t getting paid anything.

When Markus and Nic were here it would have been a 10 - no question.

With Kat but without Nic it dropped to a 3.

With this present lot in charge, and only IF I was feeling very upbeat a 1/2. ( 0.5 )

IF I was having a bad day I couldn't honestly try and get a total outsider interested.

Very much this. Whats there to attract / like about us at the moment ?

I wouldnt want to inflict the frustration we have to endure on anybody.

Lets face it, its only the yokels and a few wierdos that support us anyway.

Very much this. Whats there to attract / like about us at the moment ?

I wouldnt want to inflict the frustration we have to endure on anybody.

Lets face it, its only the yokels and a few wierdos that support us anyway.

......just my sort of people, I just don't care about the others to be honest.

Glad there was an opportunity to question the motives of Gao and why China is as important to Southampton FC as the real supporters who live in the ‘50 mile radius’ and will support the club unconditionally.

I would never recommend anyone support a club, but also never understand why they would not support their local one that they can watch regularly with their family / mates.

Edited by Kingsland Red

People who chose their football team because they were top of the league or won the cup when they were 9 are not proper supporters. Have enough of them in the office and they are not worth talking football with. Glory hunters. I blame poor parenting.

There has to be a reason why you support your team - so in a sense it chooses you:

- Where you were born

- Family team

- Where you grew up

- Where you now live

Anyone who supports a team for the above reasons is usually worth talking football with. My wife's family team is Lincoln City, and they have enjoyed the last couple of seasons hugely.

Edited by kwsaint
mistyped

wasn't the whole survey just a reason to tell Virgin media, if you would change if you were incentivised

I think it probably was. I answered that nothing would entice me to change my current arrangement to take on Virgin Media, not least because their service is not available in my area.

I'm not local to Southampton, I support because of my dad. I started supporting properly in our 1st season in league one. The journey we've non in since then is almost unparalleled in my eyes. Yes it's been up and down but what a journey. Some amazing signing, amazing youth and even the thrill of staying up this season. Most teams who get promotes from the championship get relegated within the next few seasons. Instead we fought to the Europa league multiple times. Yeah we've had some rough times recently but every club in the world has. Don't belittle our incredible achievements over the last 10 years because of one poor season.

People who chose their football team because they were top of the league or won the cup when they were 9 are not proper supporters. Have enough of them in the office and they are not worth talking football with. Glory hunters. I blame poor parenting.

There has to be a reason why you support your team - so in a sense it chooses you:

- Where you were born

- Family team

- Where you grew up

- Where you now live

Anyone who supports a team for the above reasons is usually worth talking football with. My wife's family team is Lincoln City, and they have enjoyed the last couple of seasons hugely.

Agree on this. The family thing is definitely true; although Saints were my local team, I'm sure my Dad being a season ticket holder since he was a kid and then taking me to games from the age of 5 had a lot more to do with it. On the flip side, I think it's in the 'Football Ramble' where they discuss how there's always someone who supports Barcelona because they were really close to their Uncle's dog who was from Barcelona...

I'd hate to support a team where I felt I needed to justify why I supported them - "Man City are my team, but I actually supported them in League One", "I'm a true Liverpool fan, I stuck with them in the dark days of finishing mid-table in the 90s", "I started supporting Blackburn in the mid-90s, mainly because I liked the rose on their badge".

I’m from Singapore (born and bred) and I support the Saints. Most people here support English teams because of the p!ss poor standards of the local league. While most go for the big 6 teams, I took a liking to a certain MLT when I first started watching the football on TV. The wilderness years were particularly tough as we don’t get League 1 footy on the television here. I’ve only been to St Mary’s once and I still have not seen my team score live (we beat Everton 2-0 through 2 first half own goals)

Does that make me inferior to a local fan?

I’m from Singapore (born and bred) and I support the Saints. Most people here support English teams because of the p!ss poor standards of the local league. While most go for the big 6 teams, I took a liking to a certain MLT when I first started watching the football on TV. The wilderness years were particularly tough as we don’t get League 1 footy on the television here. I’ve only been to St Mary’s once and I still have not seen my team score live (we beat Everton 2-0 through 2 first half own goals)

Does that make me inferior to a local fan?

I think to really qualify is like being a Cockney you have to be able to hear Bow Bells, for Saints it was to hear the roar of the Dell from your house, for Pompey it was if you had been fathered by a bell ringer.

Not sure you make the grade lol, but I will forgive and accept you and all others who wear the red and white in their heart