This Season or the Poch Season?

Lighthouse

Hypothetical scenario - If you were offered a straight choice for next season, which would you chose:

- A repeat of the Pochettino season

- A repeat of this season just gone BUT we beat Chelsea in the semi final.

I only ask because I remember quite a few people saying how boring and meaningless the Poch season was, given that we didn't make any notable progress in the cups. Many people said they would rather finish 17th and have a cup final. After what we've just witnessed, do people still feel the same?

The Poch season.The highlight for me was seeing so many academy players on the pitch. IIRC one game we started with 5 and brought on 2 more. That is football for me. I want that, and given that we had a modicum of success in the league (ie winning games) then that was perfect.

Last seasons cup run papered over a lot of cracks and we were actually still pretty **** and boring.

The Poch season. As angelman said seeing the academy players get so much game time and genuinely kick on was a real highlight. If he had our lot now I could envision Sims being a consistent first team player among others.

We played good football and looked like, on our day, we could go toe to toe with most teams. There was a real sense that we were building towards something and a feel good factor around the squad/club broadly. It was weird to think how optimistic we (Dalek and whatever version of Glasgow existed at that point aside) were as fans compared to the doom and gloom of recent times.

Without question the Poch season. I hope I never suffer another season like the last one. The Cup semi-final was just a bit of compensation for everything else.

What I want to see is us being competitive every game, being able to close out messy 1-0 wins, giving the big boys tough games and sitting comfortably in mid-table, or better, challenging for Europe. That's our ambition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That Pochettino season was the most enjoyable for me as a fairly young fan- went to nearly every game, watching great football and the starting XI was arguably our best (the Koeman squads were better but the actual teams IMO weren't as good as that one). The win against Liverpool, the away game at Fulham, the draw at Old Trafford and even the Tuesday night trip to Hull are some of the best memories I have from going every week.

Compared to 95% dross with a nail-biting end with minimal quality, 13/14 season was far far better.

Hypothetical scenario - If you were offered a straight choice for next season, which would you chose:

I only ask because I remember quite a few people saying how boring and meaningless the Poch season was, given that we didn't make any notable progress in the cups. Many people said they would rather finish 17th and have a cup final. After what we've just witnessed, do people still feel the same?

I'm pretty sure most people said 17th and a cup win.

Would I like a better league season and no cup win or a worse league season and errr no cup win seems like a pointless type of question...

Having said that the end of this season was probably the most exciting (admittedly in a masochistic type of way) we've had since we got back into the PL. Getting to the last few games, were we needed a result in every game, got the old heart going in a way that finishing 7th or 8th never will.

Poch season easily.

And for those saying it was because he also used academy players- well with or without academy players- id take 56 points in a season even with foreign imports.

That points total might even get us European football.

That season we literally went toe to toe with everyone- only game i can remember being outplayed was Man City away and Liverpool home- otherwise we were great.

Also a season like that then other big clubs want our players again

A big part of the euphoria of the Poch season was the realisation we could be a good team after a few years in lower leagues.

We had a team with a freakishly high number of home-grown players coupled with players who had seen us through two consecutive promotions and fans felt a real bond with.

We hadn't been raided by competitors at that point. We've seen now that anyone who does well will likely leave before long.

Those circumstances of the Poch era are not going to repeat themselves.

Last season was dire. We became a bunch of losers who hardly ever won or even played well.

A Pochettino

The real choice is the 2015/16 season. At the end of that, we felt great.

While the Pochettino season was underway, it was glorious. We were truly competitive and a threat to all teams. The football was high intensity and enjoyable. Some of the performances truly outstanding.

But my everlasting memory will always be the final game.... and a feeling of total emptiness. The team was going to be dismantled, it was so clear. Despite the joy of the many outstanding performances I left before the round of applause by the players to the fans. I couldn't feel invested in them knowing that this promising chapter was a false dawn.

So, it's not as simple a choice as 8th or 17th and a cup final. The Poch season gets the win..... just.

This season. I'd have told my grandchildren about when I saw us in an FA Cup Final. I probably won't tell them about the season we finished 8th, placed some nice football and had a few players called up for England, resulting in us having to sell most of them.

Three seasons, Pochettino bottled it in the cups.

This. Playing a weakened team in the Sunderland match was unforgivable considering we were pretty much guaranteed to finish 8th. Pellegrino showed more guts in the cup and we were up to our necks in a relegation scrap.

That could very well have been our year for the FA cup, had we taken Sunderland’s place we would have played Hull in the quarters, Sheffield Utd in the semi and a beatable Arsenal in the final. But mr ‘no trophy’ Pochettino ****ed it up the wall.

While the Pochettino season was underway, it was glorious. We were truly competitive and a threat to all teams. The football was high intensity and enjoyable. Some of the performances truly outstanding.

But my everlasting memory will always be the final game.... and a feeling of total emptiness. The team was going to be dismantled, it was so clear. Despite the joy of the many outstanding performances I left before the round of applause by the players to the fans. I couldn't feel invested in them knowing that this promising chapter was a false dawn.

So, it's not as simple a choice as 8th or 17th and a cup final. The Poch season gets the win..... just.

Wish I'd had your foresight - my FB memories for early June are full of "Lallana won't answer the phone to Saints" stuff along with a lot of "he's not going anywhere" comments, can't remember if Lovren's hairdresser had dropped him in it by then but by the time he screwed up for Croatia against Brazil I was laughing at him, Lambert went on 2nd June but with little to suggest he'd leave beforehand other than his decline, Chambers was completely unexpected opportunism on his part, and Shaw seemed likely but was maybe going to stay a bit longer first.

Not sure it was "inevitable" at all, if anything it was unprecedented - Pochettino's book suggests he knew plenty had made plans and that's why he went to Spurs, but we mostly didn't see the scale of the dismantling coming.