Saints title winning XI

ChiefScummer

Who would you put in a hypothetical team that could challenge for the title? No doubt we've had world class players come through wearing the red and white. I'm using only players I've actually seen play in the shirt (so no Channon, sorry) but retired players count as long as you've seen them play for Saints. All players regarded as in their prime.

GK - Davis

RB - Clyne

CB - VVD

CB - Toby

LB - Bertrand

DM - Wanyama

DM - Morgan

AM - Le Tissier

LW - Mane

RW - Bale

FW - Shearer

Subs:

Beattie, Lundekvam, Lambo, Benali, Lallana, Fonte, Forster

Manager: Koeman.

GK - Niemi

RB - Dodd

CB - Svensson

CB - VVD

LB - Bridge

DM - Wanyama

DM - Morgan

AM - Le Tiss

LW - Bale

RW - Tadic

FW - Shearer

Subs

Pelle, Lambo, Lundekvam, Toby, Fonte, Mayuka, Boruc

Manager: MoPo or Strachan.

Great Thread. :thumbup:

Okay then :rolleyes:

Gk - Shilton

RB - Kenna

CB - Mark Wright

CB - VVD

LB - Bale

CM - Case

CM - Schneiderlin (saints form)

LM - Danny Wallace

RM - Mane

Free role - Le Tiss

FW - Shearer

Bench - Niemi, Wanyama, Toby, Armstrong, Lambert, Killer, Shaw

Manager - Poch

I’ve decided to base mine since our return to the PL, just to reminisce on how things could have been.

GK: FF

RB: Clyne

CB: Toby

CB:VvD

LB: Bertrand

CM: Morgan

CM: Wanyama

RW: Mane

AM: Lallana

LW: Tadic

CF: Pelle

Manager: Poch

As people are putting Bale in I presume “ all players regarded as in their prime” means career prime, rather than Saints prime. If so, here’s mine. They’d have to play in a 4-3-1-2

GG-Shilton

RB-Mick Mills

CB-Mark Wright

CB-Toby

LB-Mark Dennis

CM-Jimmy Case

RM-Alan Ball

LM- Bale

10-MLT

CF-Kevin Keegan

CF-Mark Hughes

Subs- Peter Osgood, Alan Shearer , Mane, Killer, Neimi, Steve Williams, Terry Paine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who would you put in a hypothetical team that could challenge for the title? No doubt we've had world class players come through wearing the red and white. I'm using only players I've actually seen play in the shirt (so no Channon, sorry) but retired players count as long as you've seen them play for Saints. All players regarded as in their prime.

GK - Davis

RB - Clyne

CB - VVD

CB - Toby

LB - Bertrand

DM - Wanyama

DM - Morgan

AM - Le Tissier

LW - Mane

RW - Bale

FW - Shearer

Subs:

Beattie, Lundekvam, Lambo, Benali, Lallana, Fonte, Forster

Manager: Koeman.

Surely by your criteria you are also picking them based on their ability at the time. So bale will not get in any side picked. Especially as he was a left back, not a right winger at saints...

Surely by your criteria you are also picking them based on their ability at the time. So bale will not get in any side picked. Especially as he was a left back, not a right winger at saints...

Depends which ever way you want to look at it I guess. Personally I just meant prime as their peak performance. Like Shearer in his NUFC prime and Bale for Real etc.

It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

What would your side be?

It's his opinon. Why don't you name your squad ?

Because Football Manager only goes back as far 1992 and without stats he has no idea about football, let alone how to rank players or talk about the game. He's probably running queries against his spreadsheet now to find out who has the highest "scores" for each position and highest "potential" so he can post something.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/14/09/2784941600000578-3036912-Loughran_became_known_as_Statto_when_he_worked_alongside_David_B-a-5_1428998760159.jpg

Too difficult a question for me, I've gone through a whole pad of stickets already. I'm pretty close to Eric to be honest but I'd swap VvD for Killer, Spiderman for Victor and Shearer for Channon.

Subs, not a clue, just confuses the whole damn issue.

Back to work.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Because Football Manager only goes back as far 1992

How is that in any way relevant? Plus in any case I named Shilton, who was at Saints in the 1980s.

without stats he has no idea about football

Puzzled why you think that.

let alone how to rank players or talk about the game.

I rank players and talk about the game all the time. I'm used by two companies to do so and in the case of Southampton there is more publicly available information of my opinions of their players than anyone else in the world.

He's probably running queries against his spreadsheet now to find out who has the highest "scores" for each position and highest "potential" so he can post something.

I have no idea what you are on about here. What scores and why would potential be relevant?

Edited by Matthew Le God

I will give you all something to ponder over.

Peter Shilton

- - - - - -

Bill Etherington

Michael 'Killer' Svenson

Virgil Van Dijk

Ryan Bertrand

- - - - - -

Sadio Mane

Alan Ball

Matthew Le Tissier

Morgan Schneiderland

Gareth Bale

- - - - - -

Ron Davies

Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Toby Alderwerald, Mark Wright, Adam Lallana, Antti Niemi, Jimmy Case

GK-Shilton

RB-Ivan Golac

CB-Mark Wright

CB-Killer

LB-Mark Dennis

CM-Steve Williams

RM-Mick Channon

LM-Gareth Bale

AM-Le Tiss

CF-Kevin Keegan

CF-Alan Shearer

Subs: Tim Flowers, Mick Mills, Toby, Jimmy Case, Danny Wallace, David Armstrong, James Beattie

I will give you all something to ponder over.

Peter Shilton

- - - - - -

Bill Etherington

Michael 'Killer' Svenson

Virgil Van Dijk

Ryan Bertrand

- - - - - -

Sadio Mane

Alan Ball

Matthew Le Tissier

Morgan Schneiderland

Gareth Bale

- - - - - -

Ron Davies

Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Toby Alderwerald, Mark Wright, Adam Lallana, Antti Niemi, Jimmy Case

Mark Hughes in his prime was better than Ron Davies. Morgan not a patch on Jimmy Case in his prime, I’d also have Mark Wright over either centre half, other than that, pretty decent.

Ryan Bertrand doesn’t belong in that company, but LB was the weakest position and the one I struggled with. I went with Mark Dennis, but again, he’s not really in the same class as the other 10.

Don’t know about players winning the league, but I reckon our managers could. **** me, the midfield is some classy unit. Although the keeper looks a bit out of his depth.

GK-Nigel Adkins

Jan Poortvliet

Koeman

Chris Nichol

George Burley

Strachan

Hoddle

Souness

Bally

Mark Hughes

Paul Sturrock

Lord D I was torn between Morgan and Jimmy I must admit.

As for Mark I believe most of his fame came because he was at United which may have coloured my view accordingly.

I also considered Micky Channon who did score the odd goal for us and Terry Paine.

To be fair we have had quite a few top quality players over the years. Pity we couldn't have had them all at the same time.

I’ve decided to base mine since our return to the PL, just to reminisce on how things could have been.

GK: FF

RB: Clyne

CB: Toby

CB:VvD

LB: Bertrand

CM: Morgan

CM: Wanyama

RW: Mane

AM: Lallana

LW: Tadic

CF: Pelle

Manager: Poch

That team wins the league the year Leicester did, IMO.

Oh well.

How is that in any way relevant? Plus in any case I named Shilton, who was at Saints in the 1980s.

But no other players and no full team. Your "enjoyment" of football seems to be totally joyless.

Puzzled why you think that.

Because i've never seen you make a single post ABOUT a game. You're quick to try and correct people, and quick to try and talk about stats, but any art, any passion, and bit of joy and skill, or even fun, that most people talk about are completely devoid from your world.

You are a long way from normal when it comes to football. Where's your favourite moments? Most people have them and they're not just about results, they're things like the fans streaming in through the back of the Milton after Barry Horne scored, Le tiss writing his fairytale finish by scoring the last ever goal at the dell. Hell even little things like remembering Saints against Forest at the Dell in the early 90s (towards the start of the season) and Matty being surrounded by three players and lazily just walking the ball out the pack have done them all with skill.

Or tales of trips round the country (or Europe) following the Saints, p*ss ups with mates, getting stuck in god knows where northern towns having almost (or even having) missed trains back.

I rank players and talk about the game all the time. I'm used by two companies to do so and in the case of Southampton there is more publicly available information of my opinions of their players than anyone else in the world.

You have a strict set of mathematical criteria you MARK players against, a trained monkey can do this job if they're shown exactly where to tick the box. Ranking players from now and before on things like natural skill and the art of football are nothing like judging "how many arial duels" they've won, or how many completed passes they made.

I have no idea what you are on about here. What scores and why would potential be relevant?

Of course you know my atypical friend, you "understand" football through spreadsheets and numbers, i'm going to guess you've never played a single 11 a side game in your life.

Don’t know about players winning the league, but I reckon our managers could. **** me, the midfield is some classy unit. Although the keeper looks a bit out of his depth.

GK-Nigel Adkins

Jan Poortvliet

Koeman

Chris Nichol

George Burley

Strachan

Hoddle

Souness

Bally

Mark Hughes

Paul Sturrock

Didn't Dave Beasant have a spell as caretaker? Put him as GK

GK - Forecast

RB - Lloyd James

CB - Davenport

CB - Scott Marshall

LB - Colleter

M - Dani Rodrigues

M - Jamie Redknapp

M - Jason Euell

FW - Maskell

FW - Dixon

FW- Speedie

I don't take that team seriously because Jermain Wright or Lee Todd are not included.

Niemi

Bertrand

Svensson

VVD

Clyne

DM Marsden

LW Bale

RW Mane

AMC Le Tisser

CF Lambert

Current players playing only.

Forster

Bertrand

VVD

Toby

Clyne

DM Morgan

LWBale

RW Mane

AMC Lallana

Austin ( if he could stay fit all season as this is make believe anyway lol).

GK-Nigel Adkins

Jan Poortvliet

Koeman

Chris Nichol

George Burley

Strachan

Hoddle

Souness

Bally

Mark Hughes

Paul Sturrock

Jason Dodd available too and Nigel Pearson to add a bit of steel to the defence.

Good shout on Luggy: Sturrock was a handy little player around Mexico 86.

GK-Nigel Adkins

Jan Poortvliet

Koeman

Chris Nichol

George Burley

Strachan

Hoddle

Souness

Bally

Mark Hughes

Paul Sturrock

Like what you did there. Not sure the strikers would score enough goals though.

For realism's sake here is a line up with players that are still active;

----------------------McCarthy----------------------

-Clyne-----Van Dijk------Alderweireld--Bertrand-

-----------Schneiderlin--Wanyama----------------

--------------Oxlade-Chamberlain-----------------

--Mane-----------Gabbiadini------------Bale------

Subs; Boruc, Lovren, Shaw, Lemina, Lallana, Tadic, Austin.

Don't know if it would win the league, but decent chance of Champions League qualification i'd imagine.

This brings up the usual query of do we mean Shearer at his saints peak or his career peak? Because for saints he was pretty good, but went on to dominate the PL. The same with Bale. For us he was a promising left back in the championship, who the following year couldn't hold down a regular starting place for Spurs, but obviously he went on to join the world elite. If at their very best, then they are obvious choices, at their saints best, they probably wouldn't cut it.

GK-Nigel Adkins

Jan Poortvliet

Koeman

Chris Nichol

George Burley

Strachan

Hoddle

Souness

Bally

Mark Hughes

Paul Sturrock

That's some defence if it doesn't have room for Pocchetino, capped 20 times by Argentina.

That's some defence if it doesn't have room for Pocchetino, capped 20 times by Argentina.

Or Pell who played international football for The Argies & also played for Barca. And of course there maybe some fossils who might remember a certain Burnley centre half named Merrington.

That midfield though, Bally, Souness & Hoddle. They’d be in and around the best 11 I’ve ever seen play, even if we weren’t picking from a Saints connection. **** me, once you add Strachan they’d be able to play , kick or run any team off the park.

Shilton

Golac Alderwerald Wright M. Mills

Williams Ball Keegan

Channon D Wallace

Shearer

subs, Meimi Bertrand S.Mills Van dyke LeTissier Mane Case.

Don't know how balanced that team would be and so many players I wanted to put in like Osggod, Charlie George, Paine, Dave Watson, Brian O'Neil Chris Nichol Pahars and loads of others.

The only good thing about getting old is I've lucky to have seen so many great players wearing the Saints shirt!

---------------------Niemi---------------------

Van Gobbel---Svensson---Van Dijk---Shaw

---------Wanyama-----Schneiderlin---------

Walcott-----------Le Tissier-------------Bale

------------------Shearer---------------------

Subs: Grobbelaar, Monkou, Bridge, Marsden, Lallana, Mane, Lambert

Genuinely think that team would have a chance.

I know Wanyama was the better player individually, but I always felt Cork and Schneiderlin was the best ever pairing I saw in midfield for us. They just worked perfectly together. Just like Lambert, Lallana and JRod really clicked beautifully, even if they aren't the best individually.

Good thread though and love some of the old players being mentioned.

Assuming this thread means a team which would win the premiership today, in totdays rules and todays climate do we think some of the legends could actually do the job:

- LeTiss - No doubt on individual quality but would he be given the time on the ball/would fittness be an issue? If you think of flaire players of todays game (Ronaldo/Bale) they are extremly fit

- Jimmy Case/Killer - would the agression that made part of their game still be allowed or would they be constantly sent off?

Good thread though and love some of the old players being mentioned.

Assuming this thread means a team which would win the premiership today, in totdays rules and todays climate do we think some of the legends could actually do the job:

- LeTiss - No doubt on individual quality but would he be given the time on the ball/would fittness be an issue? If you think of flaire players of todays game (Ronaldo/Bale) they are extremly fit

- Jimmy Case/Killer - would the agression that made part of their game still be allowed or would they be constantly sent off?

If Le Tiss played today he’d also be very fit - and amazing obvs.

Killer would I think be great.

Agree that Jimmy might struggle with today’s refs. Although we certainly wouldn’t have conceded that last minute goal at Everton with him in the side. I can still feel one his tackles, on Sharpe I think, at goodison from c1990. He didn’t get up.