Saintsweb Banner

ozzmeister

I know its been debated before but I cant believe we have only two 'legandary' players span nearly 30 years (90,s, 2000,s and 2010's).

Surely there must be one other player/manager/staff who is worthy of a place.

My suggestion would be Marcus.

I know its been debated before but I cant believe we have only two 'legandary' players span nearly 30 years (90,s, 2000,s and 2010's).

Surely there must be one other player/manager/staff who is worthy of a place.

My suggestion would be Marcus.

Cortese and Marcus combined into one face? Leslie and RK perched on the two shoulders with pitchforks? :D

When I think of Saints' legends Peter Shilton and Kevin Keegan never come immediately to my mind. They were great players but were they really our legends? Anymore than Nick Holmes or Francis Benali??

Why isn't Ron Davies on the banner, surely he's more of a legend than Keegan or Shilton?

Edited by red&white56
additional comments added

No reason it'd have to be a replacement for one of the fine ex-Saints on the current banner. There's plenty of red space left. Markus, Franny and Ball are all worthy of a place. Or VVD...Ya know...Just for a laugh.

When I think of Saints' legends Peter Shilton and Kevin Keegan never come immediately to my mind. They were great players but were they really our legends? Anymore than Nick Holmes or Francis Benali??

Why isn't Ron Davies on the banner, surely he's more of a legend than Keegan or Shilton?

Nick Holmes,yes, he was a fine player as well as loyal servsnt but Benali, he was wild and rubbish, enthusiastic but that's all

I have said many times Fonte played more games for us than Shilton, and he was instrumental in or rise from League One to the Premier and doing well there; we have missed him terribly since he left. I have no idea why Shilton is up there, actually it irritates and annoys me.

I worshipped Ron when he was playing. He will always be a legend to me. Shilton and Keegan were only here for a very short time and good as they were did little for Saints to become legends.

Crikey! I would rather Bobby Stokes our Cup winning goal scorer than those two.

I worshipped Ron when he was playing. He will always be a legend to me. Shilton and Keegan were only here for a very short time and good as they were did little for Saints to become legends.

Crikey! I would rather Bobby Stokes our Cup winning goal scorer than those two.

I know what you mean about their contribution but have to defend Keegan's place. Although only here for two seasons we went top of the league for the fist time in our history when KK was palying for us, and we palyed some great football in his era.

Its proabbly not just Keegan the player being commemorated on the banner but Keegan the signing, without doubt the boldest transfer move we've ever made. He was European Player of The Year, two years running,linked with Real Madrid etc, but he signed for us, and the football world was stunned.

KK deserves his place.

I have said many times Fonte played more games for us than Shilton, and he was instrumental in or rise from League One to the Premier and doing well there; we have missed him terribly since he left. I have no idea why Shilton is up there, actually it irritates and annoys me.

What? Ok you could argue against it but at a minimum there is an extremely good case for Shilton being on there. He was immense for us - the best player in the world in his position - and played for us at his peak. He might well still be our highest capped payer (49 while with us from memory). He certainly used to be.

In my view Fonte is not in his league.

Just out of interest does a player have to be a great footballer to be a club legend?

I'd argue not. Being a club legend is surely more about time served and having a connection with the fan base.

So Franny, as a long serving, but not particularly good, one club man, probably has a good case to be a club legend.

What? Ok you could argue against it but at a minimum there is an extremely good case for Shilton being on there. He was immense for us - the best player in the world in his position - and played for us at his peak. He might well still be our highest capped payer (49 while with us from memory). He certainly used to be.

In my view Fonte is not in his league.

Exactly, Shilton is England's record cap holder and he made more of his England appearances as a Saints player than he did at any other club, incredible for the club to have signed players like him and European player of the year Keegan - but looking back we really should have won some silverware in the early 80s.

I wonder where the club would be now if we'd done the double in 1984?

Is there not a case for Alf Ramsey?

Hardly a legend as a player, for Saints or otherwise, and his managerial success came elsewhere. Fell out with Bill Dodgin (Saints manager) because he wanted to replace him with Bill Ellerington, didn't exactly leave on the best of terms. No doubt Ramsey is a legend, but not a Saints one.

The only true legends that are not on the Banner, really are Ron Davies, who arguably should have been on the banner ahead of at least 5 of the others, and Ted Bates, Mr Southampton, who probably wouldn't be classed as a legend on his playing ability/skills alone, but adding his long time management and later boardroom services to the club is probably the greates Saints legend of all time. Other than SRL no-one has come close since MLT (there have been some excellent players, but no-one who could ever be considered a legend). Bally would be the only other one that I can think would merit a place on the Saintsweb Banner Hall of Fame (assuming it is based on players, otherwise Lawrie Mac would be worthy).

Isnt it Ted Bates second left?

My view is that to be a Saints legend a player should have played his best football for Saints, and be someone that you would instantly identify with the club. Which probably rules out both Keegan and Shilton, much as I enjoyed watching them both. But the other six definitely did play their best football for Saints.

I would have Ron Davies up there instead. Greatest header of a ball I have ever seen. Then maybe Nick Holmes.

I'd argue Kelvin has about the same claim to being a Saints legend that Franny has. Both pretty poor but good, honest pros that always gave their all (apart from Kelvin at Sheff Wed). Also, people forget that Kelvin's stock was actually pretty high at one point. Around 2008-2011 he was thought of as one of the best keepers in England outside the PL. He also turned down clubs of far higher standing to stay with us. Franny never did simply because he probably was not good enough for anyone else. Of course, Franny may well have turned down higher teams if he'd been scouted but to the best of my knowledge, we will never know.

Isnt it Ted Bates second left?

My view is that to be a Saints legend a player should have played his best football for Saints, and be someone that you would instantly identify with the club. Which probably rules out both Keegan and Shilton, much as I enjoyed watching them both. But the other six definitely did play their best football for Saints.

I would have Ron Davies up there instead. Greatest header of a ball I have ever seen. Then maybe Nick Holmes.

Kenwyne Jones played his best football for Saints but I would not class him as a Saints legend.

If we are basing this on being a great player/servant for Saints then I can't see how Charles Miller qualifies? How about we select one player to represent a decade of the club's history eg Ted Bates 1950s, Terry Paine 1960, Mike Channon 1970s, Keegan 1980s, MLT 1990s, Rickie Lambert 2010s - not sure who would represent 2000s though

If we are basing this on being a great player/servant for Saints then I can't see how Charles Miller qualifies? How about we select one player to represent a decade of the club's history eg Ted Bates 1950s, Terry Paine 1960, Mike Channon 1970s, Keegan 1980s, MLT 1990s, Rickie Lambert 2010s - not sure who would represent 2000s though

Rupert?