Shaqiri - Official: Signs for Liverpool

EkonOkereke

I hope we get Shaqiri. Can offer something different, important if Boufal goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. Just like Boufal he is mercurial, capable of the unexpected, and can hit screamers from 30+ yards. Unlike Boufal, he does it more often. However also unlike Boufal, he is an absolute passenger defensively. I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited about him to be honest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

True. Just like Boufal he is mercurial, capable of the unexpected, and can hit screamers from 30+ yards. Unlike Boufal, he does it more often. However also unlike Boufal, he is an absolute passenger defensively. I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited about him to be honest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Boufal is good at defending? I must have missed that bit.

As it’s been made public by the club that Mo isn’t a Tadic replacement I just wonder if there is something in this

Not quite Hughes said Mo wasn't a like for like player in that he doesn't play exactly like Tadic but he is Tadic's replacement in the squad.

I can never quite understand this idea that every player that leaves must be replaced. It implies that every squad must be made up of a fixed profile, but the reality is that every manager has a different idea of how he wants his squad to be made up. Hughes' philosophy is an excellent example; we know he wants the option of playing 3 at the back, so he might want an extra centre back (and probably at least 1 of them will be a ball-playing CB) than Pellegrino, who would never have played 3 at the back.

Typically, squads become unbalanced when there has been a high turnover of managers over a few years; they bring their own players in, filling gaps in order to get a first team that they want, sidelining unwanted players who still retain a place in the squad. This has happened to us. We have a slightly bloated squad of players who are unlikely to contribute much. Carillo, Boufal, Clasie, Forster, maybe even Davies and some of the youngsters who aren't so young anymore. So this summer is about re-shaping the squad and ensuring that every one of the 25 man final squad is going to be useful to Hughes. Selling Dusan might not necessarily lead to a direct replacement- instead we might buy someone with a different skillset which is more suited to Hughes' style of play. If we sell Clasie, are we going to replace him? Unlikely. He's just one of those players brought in by a former manager who then wasn't rated by subsequent managers.

Boufal is good at defending? I must have missed that bit.

stu0x clearly says that he "isn't a passenger", that's not the same as being good at defending. I have seen Boufal put a shift in and tackle back. In the same way Tadic was always pretty responsible in terms of putting a shift in defensively, even if it clearly wasn't his strength.

We need some creativity in our team, but I think it's a fair concern that Shaqiri doesn't even bother tracking back at times and is therefore a bit of a liability. The term 'luxury' player definitely applies to him!

I can never quite understand this idea that every player that leaves must be replaced. It implies that every squad must be made up of a fixed profile, but the reality is that every manager has a different idea of how he wants his squad to be made up. Hughes' philosophy is an excellent example; we know he wants the option of playing 3 at the back, so he might want an extra centre back (and probably at least 1 of them will be a ball-playing CB) than Pellegrino, who would never have played 3 at the back.

Typically, squads become unbalanced when there has been a high turnover of managers over a few years; they bring their own players in, filling gaps in order to get a first team that they want, sidelining unwanted players who still retain a place in the squad. This has happened to us. We have a slightly bloated squad of players who are unlikely to contribute much. Carillo, Boufal, Clasie, Forster, maybe even Davies and some of the youngsters who aren't so young anymore. So this summer is about re-shaping the squad and ensuring that every one of the 25 man final squad is going to be useful to Hughes. Selling Dusan might not necessarily lead to a direct replacement- instead we might buy someone with a different skillset which is more suited to Hughes' style of play. If we sell Clasie, are we going to replace him? Unlikely. He's just one of those players brought in by a former manager who then wasn't rated by subsequent managers.

The attacking wide players is one area I think we cannot afford to weaken though, last year we had tadic,boufal and Redmond with Simms and I guesss you could say jwp able to play there. if we lose tadic and boufal now we are down to just elyounoussi and Redmond as the main creative attackers and this was a area we were already very weak in.

7 pages about a guy who's not going to sign for us......

What makes you so sure? Hughes loves him,we need a boufal replacement and he needs a club. Liverpool could beat us to h if their interest is genuine, but even then shaqiri may rather have guarenteed football then be a bit part player after being at Bayern and inter

Another good game from shaqiri. Ok result wasn't good but looked super creative all game and had some great deliveries. Rest of switz team wasn't on his wavelength.. really hope we go all out to get him

What makes you think the saints players will be on his wavelength? Practically none of the first team have been on the same wavelength for about 18 months...

What makes you think the saints players will be on his wavelength? Practically none of the first team have been on the same wavelength for about 18 months...

I just think after watching him closely at the World Cup you give him the ball and he makes things happen, maybe was wrong to say the switz players were not on the same wavelength more that they lacked the quality to do something with his superb delivery.. but our main complaint last season was the strikers were not getting any service.

, with him and mo pulling the strings our attack could be looking great again

I just think after watching him closely at the World Cup you give him the ball and he makes things happen, maybe was wrong to say the switz players were not on the same wavelength more that they lacked the quality to do something with his superb delivery.. but our main complaint last season was the strikers were not getting any service.

I'm not sure if our strikers weren't getting any service or failing to do anything with the opportunities they got. It certainly felt like Long and Tadic where guilty of spurning a lot of goal scoring chances last season.

Redmond, Long, and our midfield spurned loads of opportunities last year. Even Gabbi missed a few sitters. We created plenty of opportunities to score, just didn't take them. Although, without Tadic Elyounoussi will have to do an awful lot of creating unless we get someone else in.

Redmond, Long, and our midfield spurned loads of opportunities last year. Even Gabbi missed a few sitters. We created plenty of opportunities to score, just didn't take them. Although, without Tadic Elyounoussi will have to do an awful lot of creating unless we get someone else in.

Yeah. I felt we needed a goal scoring No.10 & speedster winger even before Tadic & Boufal left.

I was also watching him at the World Cup and would now agree that he is very creative going forward. When the forum started talk about getting him in I wasn't bothered, perhaps even negative to the idea. Now I'm positive and would be willing to overlook his defensive weaknesses to get his attacking momentum into the team.

A front 3 of:

LW: elyounoussi CF: Austin/Gabbi RW: Shaqiri

Would certainly cure our creativity / lack of goals issue.

Do think we’re still lacking some pace, which is why I’d prefer sisto. He’s the closest thing to Mane we could realistically sign

Is that real want or Fonte want.

I'm guessing a Finite want. A player that has flopped at two big club's like Shaqiri would need to have done way more than he has at Stoke to get another shot at that level.

Mid table PL-Top of a weak league is his level.

He can do one, he will think he is doing us a favour,

Exactly

Poured petrol on the bridge and tossed a lit zippo lighter towards it when the the Southampton door failed to hit his @R$ę on the way out, if he ain’t cutting the Mustard on Merseyside why on earth would we want a 30 year old injury prone cast off polluting the squad.

We ain’t playing at the Dell any more, with our hands financially tied behind our backs hoovering up the likes of crocks like Barry Vennison and Kerry Dixon.

Good News. Sky sources say (am 11/07/18) that Liverpool are in discussion with Stoke City over the transfer of Shaqiri. May they be very happy together.

Ludicrous amount of forward players.

Salah

Firmino

Mane

*Shaqiri*

-----------

Sturridge

Ings

Origi

Solanke