Shaqiri - Official: Signs for Liverpool

EkonOkereke

Redundant question.

I follow TFC because of proximity and they’ve got some pretty decent players who struggled in European

Leagues, notably Altidore, Bradley and Giovinco. Giovinco is a prime example of an MLS genius who’d get mauled in the premier league because of his stature and slower tempo game. I feel like from my admittedly limited exposure that Almiron would be the same. He’d do better in Europe than the premier league.

Liverpool to step up Shaqiri chase: (Via SSN by way of the Mirror)

LIVERPOOL TO STEP UP SHAQIRI CHASE

Liverpool are to raise the tempo in their pursuit of Swiss winger Xherdan Shaqiri after the World Cup, the Daily Mirror reports.

Representatives of the Stoke forward, 26, are said to have held talks with counterparts at Anfield already after the Potters' relegation from the top flight.

Stoke's demise is said to have reduced Shaqiri's price to £13.5m, which has not escaped the attention of other Premier League clubs.

Everton, West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton are said to be keeping an eye on the former Bayern Munich and Inter Milan player.

Liverpool to step up Shaqiri chase: (Via SSN by way of the Mirror)

"Stoke's demise is said to have reduced Shaqiri's price to £13.5m, which has not escaped the attention of other Premier League clubs.

Everton, West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton are said to be keeping an eye on the former Bayern Munich and Inter Milan player"

Realistically, the only reason we wouldn't be bottom of that list is if he really wanted to be reunited with Mark Hughes.

As an Atlanta United and a Saints fan I don't think any of the Atlanta players would be willing to step down to play for Saints, It's a step backwards TBH after last season. They play in a brand new stadium in front of 75K fans for an attack minded former Argentina and Barca manager. They entertain with their fast flowing game and tactics, that would not fit in at St. Marys.

I find that highly doubtful, the MLS is and will be for a long time a minor league, they might not want to come to Saints specifically, but I doubt they would turn down the chance to play in the PL and then potentially the Champions league.

Players at Celtic play in front of 60k very passionate fans, get into the Champions League regularly, win every week, score shed loads of goals, and yet they all jump at the chance to move the PL.

Also I just checked, Almiron is on $2.3 million dollars a year, which is about £33k a week, he could quite easily double his wages if not more in the PL.

So I doubt Almiron would turn us down, he'd be playing in a better league, with better players, against more famous teams and would earn more money.

I find that highly doubtful, the MLS is and will be for a long time a minor league, they might not want to come to Saints specifically, but I doubt they would turn down the chance to play in the PL and then potentially the Champions league.

Players at Celtic play in front of 60k very passionate fans, get into the Champions League regularly, win every week, score shed loads of goals, and yet they all jump at the chance to move the PL.

Also I just checked, Almiron is on $2.3 million dollars a year, which is about £33k a week, he could quite easily double his wages if not more in the PL.

So I doubt Almiron would turn us down, he'd be playing in a better league, with better players, against more famous teams and would earn more money.

The one MLS player I would want is Diego Valeri. He is a ridiculously good player.

Michael Owen was too small for the Prem. As well Marian Pahars. Paul Scholes too was bloody useless. Oh and don't get me started on Shaqiri... apalling football player and it's all to do with his height.

Sigh.

Alan Ball was also appalling, and Maradona really needed to get a bit bigger to become quite good

Almiron would probably only go to a top 6 prem league team, I doubt he would go to Saints to play the way Saints have played the last couple seasons shackled defensively with little creativity when he's playing for a much better manager who gives him the freedom to play his game. And Atlanta Utd are not a selling team, they have plenty of money.

Almiron would probably only go to a top 6 prem league team, I doubt he would go to Saints to play the way Saints have played the last couple seasons shackled defensively with little creativity when he's playing for a much better manager who gives him the freedom to play his game. And Atlanta Utd are not a selling team, they have plenty of money.

But he plays in a micky mouse league.

Edited by shurlock

Lol. Sorry mate but your support is making you a bit deluded. Any mls player would jump at the chance to play regularly in the strongest league in the world. I mean we signed lemina from juventus last year. Which club do you think has a greater attraction, atlanta or juve?

Of course they are, only a handful of teams in world football are not "selling teams". Atlanta United are definitely not one of those teams.

As for Saints... they can blow Atlanta United out of the water on wages and the Premier League with Saints is significantly more attractive a proposition than the MLS.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Every team is a selling team bar like a handful at the top of the chain.

I doubt any player really cares about style of play, plenty of people keep signing for Mourinho for example.

Wages generally trump everything when it comes to the modern footballer, second is what level of football they play at. Those two factors mean Southampton massively out do Atlanta. The MLS is a minor league compared to the PL and he is their highest earner on wages that our squad players are paid more.

If we wanted him, then he'd go, I have little doubts about it. He'd probably make a fuss about going as well if Atlanta played hard ball. IF he had any doubts, and I doubt he would, we'd just feed him the stepping stone speel and say if he does well he could be turning out for Utd or Liverpool in a few years.

But ultimately if he is playing in the MLS I doubt he is good enough for the PL anyway. He's already 24 and if he was really good then he would have been picked up by a European team before that IMO.

Well that’s typical of today’s Premier League - the big clubs hoovering up any half decent player just to sit on their bench all season.

Nothing new, Everton were doing exactly that in the 70s, except that there was only 1 sub in those days. They just bought players to stop other clubs having them. Now Sky pay for it, then it was Vernon's Pools.

I’m with G.Nev. “He could score the goal of the tournament, or he could amble and wobble around for three games and do nothing “

Rather have Tadic.

And then said he has no time for Shaqiri.

As Klopp remarked, he doesn't listen to failed managers.

And then said he has no time for Shaqiri.

As Klopp remarked, he doesn't listen to failed managers.

All managers fail,eventually. It doesn’t automatically invalidate all of their opinions.

Anyway, on this occasion I agree with GN.

I know he is playing against Brazil but Shaq looks very average and a lazy ****er.

Pretty poor indictment of him if he can't motivate himself against Brazil.

I thought his attitude when playing against us was poor, always looking to blame a team mate etc. Think we've got a few of those already.