Shaqiri - Official: Signs for Liverpool

EkonOkereke

It all depends who the author is - if it's Jeremy Wilson I'd be worried.

Why worried? Not sure if Shaqiri would even want to come here so it’s not even worth considering.

We need to ensure a good year next season to be linked with class again.

Still no reason to question the OP.

However this is not a Saints type signing.

We typically avoid players with premier league experience and/or no significant potential resale value

If a signing seems sensible and exciting you can almost immediately rule it out with SFC these days.

We are smarter than everyone else #blackbox #muppetles

We typically avoid players with premier league experience and/or no significant potential resale value

If a signing seems sensible and exciting you can almost immediately rule it out with SFC these days.

This Glasgow's/H'bergs posts are becoming increasingly weird and unhinged.

There could quite easily be a resale value. Hes 26 and allegedly available for a knockdown price. If we sign him for £12 Million (a steal in this market) and he smashes it with us, he could quite easily fetch upwards of £25 Million. He'll have another year of PL experience and will have proven he is not just a one club wonder. 27, in theory, should be his prime age for a player like Shaqiri.

Pretty low bar if we can't get a player from a relegated team that Hughes knows well who would walk into the team. bit depressing. And who is relatively cheap. Oh well.

Yeah shocking that we can't attract players who are wanted by Everton or Liverpool. Clubs with more stature and finance.

Shaqiri seems very likely to go to Liverpool.

Even if he doesn't, if Everton or Leicester want him, why would he come to Saints?

Can't really understand exactly why Liverpool would need so many extra players. They've Keita coming in this summer; they've signed Fabinho from Monaco as well. Yet what they really need is a really decent keeper.

Yeah shocking that we can't attract players who are wanted by Everton or Liverpool. Clubs with more stature and finance.

Everton are a financial mess needing to sell players to free up transfer funds and wages....

Given VVD's sales, one of the lower wage to turnover ratios in the league, and year on year record tv incomes, I am also shocked that we can't compete with everton....

:mcinnes:

Also, if we are competing for the same players as a champions league finalist, you have to expect to miss out more often than not.... but not to clubs like Everton. That just shows a complete lack of ambition, and more lying to the fans. Facts of life.

Can't really understand exactly why Liverpool would need so many extra players. They've Keita coming in this summer; they've signed Fabinho from Monaco as well. Yet what they really need is a really decent keeper.

They are a strange one because they are very high in numbers: Mane / Firmino / Salah are their main strikers, but although they have Ings / Sturridge / Solanke in reserve, I think they aren't really suited to how they play.

Think they want Fekir to replace Coutinho plus another who's a multi-functioning forward who can cover the other 3.

Even if he doesn't, if Everton or Leicester want him, why would he come to Saints?

I don't see why we couldn't match their wages. Everton have a massive wage bill and catch keep heaping more and more onto it, indefinitely. Likewise Leicester will have seen a big inflation in their wage bill after winning the league and the signings they made.

All depends who is serious and who actually makes him a decent offer.

Everton are a financial mess needing to sell players to free up transfer funds and wages....

don't we still need to sell players to free up funds and wages too though?

Given VVD's sales, one of the lower wage to turnover ratios in the league, and year on year record tv incomes, I am also shocked that we can't compete with everton....

16/17 accounts had us as having 8th highest wage bill and that was 62% of turnover (only stoke Sunderland and Swansea had higher wage to turnover ratios) - see:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

17/18 might be different, but TV income is down £33m last season and I suspect wages increased during that period, so I am not sure how the ratio would have improved. yes we banked money for VVD, but we spent a sizeable amount too over the course of the summer and January windows.

I might be wrong, but I suspect there is not masses of flexibility. Squeezing in a £100k a week fella like Shaqiri might not be possible.

16/17 accounts had us as having 8th highest wage bill and that was 62% of turnover (only stoke Sunderland and Swansea had higher wage to turnover ratios) - see:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

17/18 might be different, but TV income is down £33m last season and I suspect wages increased during that period, so I am not sure how the ratio would have improved. yes we banked money for VVD, but we spent a sizeable amount too over the course of the summer and January windows.

I might be wrong, but I suspect there is not masses of flexibility. Squeezing in a £100k a week fella like Shaqiri might not be possible.

I think you are probably pretty close to the truth but I don't think people want to here it.

Fourth highest profit in the league behind Leicester (£92m) and tottenham and united on (£50m-57m). A very healthy £41m for saints. Figures don't include the VVD sale. Granted last year we did have Europe, but we've had a profitable run in the FA Cup this year which is worth more than the League Cup.

What is shocking is that we've overloaded our wages on a lot of dross players and baulked squad depth without adding any real quality. I would still regard a 62% of turnover ratio as fairly healthy, especially combined with the profit. For the club to turn around and say there is no money to spend, whilst a series of clubs in worse financial health continue to make progress and good signings is not going to fly this summer.

My comparison was to Everton. They have a 61% wage to turnover ratio, almost the same as ours. They also have lower wages (ranked 9th, us in 8th). They have also gone on to have some very expensive backroom decisions (i.e. manager fees - koeman, bfs, silva), as well as further squad depth and wage wasteage since those figures were released). We have released significant transfer and wage benefits since those figures were released.

I restate that I would be shocked if Everton can smash us out of the water this window. Assuming we go for the same players. Their finances are already severely stretched.

Edited by Saint86

If Shaqiri goes to Liverpool his usual minutes will be cut in half.

watch him bloat up on the bench.

For the extra money he'd get and the winners/runners up medals he'd get, plus Champions League football just at the price of my playing time being halved, I'd quite happily choose Liverpool over Saints and I have an actual emotional attachment to the club.

If any of these teams are interested in Shaquiri he’ll go there rather than Southampton. There are many players before him that have fallen for the lure of the “bigger club” and spent most of the season on the bench.

We’re a smaller club that just narrowly avoided relegation. He’s already spouted off in the media about his ambitions and how Stoke’s recruitment did not match the promises made when he moved to Stoke. I think he’ll only come here if there are no viable offers from bigger clubs.

Why are people saying move to muppet show? Just passing in information.

Anyway regard “Shaq”. I’m told a Liverpool based club have offered higher wages than us and Midlands club.

Love and light.

See, I've heard the opposite. Liverpool aren't interested (irregardless of what's in the papers), and Everton have to clear some players off their wage bill before looking to purchase someone.

That leaves Tranmere - is that what you've heard?

Either way, I don't believe he will be coming here - and I have doubts it will be sorted before the World Cup if he does. Unsure what you've been told (or made up), but I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

Anyway regard “Shaq”. I’m told a Liverpool based club have offered higher wages than us and Midlands club.

Love and light.

you said yesterday it was as good as done. As a WUM you aren’t even very good.

Love and light, talking ****e, just **** off, overnight !

I doubt if we are even interested, we just dont buy players who have proven premiership abilty, our type of signing is a bench warmer from europe who is just getting over a long term injury and struggles to settle in a different country.

Shaqiri to #LFC latest:

Although he is also monitoring Xherdan Shaqiri’s situation at Stoke, Klopp wants to give Welsh youngster Harry Wilson the incentive to push for a first-team place. Swiss winger Shaqiri is of interest but not a priority at the moment.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/07/liverpool-close-signing-52m-lyon-midfielder-nabil-fekir-ahead/

Love and light.

Because that's where your posts deserve to be,rehashed bait put out in order to get a bite.

Hate and dark

Klopp only wants him because he's cheap and thinks he can probably make a profit on him in a year or two. Frankly if Shaqiri decides to go to Liverpool where he will clearly be a bench warmer, over us or another club that can offer him first team football, then he's not the sort of person we should have here anyway. He is, however, an upgrade on the likes of Ings, Solanke, and probably even injury prone Sturridge and Lallana, so he would strengthen them.

I still think we can do better than Shaqiri anyway. :)

Love and light.

Ekon/Ekon/EKON!! == 'what the heck is going on?

SSN are following you.

Not sure where to put my $$$

Think Shaqiri's agent is putting in the hours right now. The Liverpool link seems a bit odd if Klopp was such a big fan he could have met Shaqiri in a seedy Blackpool B&B anytime he wanted and could easily have prized him away from Stoke paying the sort of money they paid us for Mane of VVD but he didn't (so not such a big fan after all then ?). Seems like no clubs were overall bothered by him until Stoke got relegated and the info he could, allegedly, be picked up at a rock bottom (by PL standards) price got put about in the press.

Liverpool close to Fekir, so not sure why they would need Shaqiri.

If they do sign him we should try to steal Harry Wilson off them, 7 goals and 4 assists in 14 games on loan for a struggling Hull side last year.