Hughes "Front Foot" interview

CamberwellSaint

Obviously it's all part of the slick publicity schtick that Saints run these days, but I was quite impressed overall with what Hughes said and how he said it.

He comes across as genuinely quite hard-minded and politically savvy. (Boufal's vanishing act and total silence during the run in can't have been by chance) and I liked the way he regularly references the group, unity in the club, the general importance of character of the players.

He's usually miserable sounding, but he actually sounds quite happy with what he's doing: "Dictate to the opposition" and "remember what it takes to win games", sound like a more welcome hard headed approach compared with the training ground exercises that Puel and Pellegrino assumed would be enough.

Perhaps there'll be no exodus, maybe because we've not any high achievers anymore, so Hughes can probably plan for next season with more or less what he finished this one with- he doesn't sound like a man who's expecting his squad be sold out from under him.

It watches like a puff piece on Hughes, but it's significant that the club has felt it necessary to make one, after the Puel and Pellegrino debacles.

Onwards and upwards.

It watches like a puff piece on Hughes, but it's significant that the club has felt it necessary to make one, after the Puel and Pellegrino debacles.

It is not unusual for clubs to release a video interview after a managerial appointment.

Pellegrino, Puel, Koeman, Pochettino, Adkins, Pardew etc etc all had one.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It is not unusual for clubs to release a video interview after a managerial appointment.

Pellegrino, Puel, Koeman, Pochettino, Adkins, Pardew etc etc all had one.

They did. But Puel and Pellegrino certainly didn't get another, very sympathetic and extended one, 3 months later.

Any thoughts on the interview?

:)

They did. But Puel and Pellegrino certainly didn't get another, very sympathetic and extended one, 3 months later.

Any thoughts on the interview?

They would have got one at the start of the following season, had they held on to their jobs. That's all it is.

Here's Koeman being interviewed ahead of his second season.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2015-06-30/koeman-looking-forward-to-pre-season-reunions

Good interview but though i’m probably reading too much into it, they do seem to be pushing the idea that our squad doesn’t need much of an overhaul which is a little bit worrying.

Hughes has been round the block a bit so surely he wouldn’t have taken it on without a decent sized war chest?

Nothing wrong with the interview, but there was (understandably) a lot more fluff than Kreuger got stick for. Funny how perceptions work.
I haven't watched the interview yet but I very much doubt there was more waffle and lack of substance than the things krueger has put out. I don't he dabbled in single digiting or all the other annoying Americanisms.

Anyone else dreading this transfer window?

Not dreading it as we can pretty much guess the outcome. We've been told umpteen times there is no money for transfers unless one or two leave for decent money and as yet there aren't many rumours around concerning our players and who can be surprised after the season we've had. The only one who had a realistic chance of moving to a Big Club was Bertie and he has probably blown it anyway by not making the cut for Russia. The focus has inevitably shifted onto young players who might star in Russia. Outside the top six why would he want to move to another club in much the same situation as us. Doubt many or any would pay him more than he gets here.

Nope, one in at most and probably only one out. Reed is still at the football helm so why would anybody expect anything to change, the tired old dog is far to ancient to learn any new tricks and will bumble along just as he has always done. Getting "our business done early" for Les means before 11.30pm on transfer deadline day.

Not dreading it as we can pretty much guess the outcome. We've been told umpteen times there is no money for transfers unless one or two leave for decent money and as yet there aren't many rumours around concerning our players and who can be surprised after the season we've had. The only one who had a realistic chance of moving to a Big Club was Bertie and he has probably blown it anyway by not making the cut for Russia. The focus has inevitably shifted onto young players who might star in Russia. Outside the top six why would he want to move to another club in much the same situation as us. Doubt many or any would pay him more than he gets here.

Nope, one in at most and probably only one out. Reed is still at the football helm so why would anybody expect anything to change, the tired old dog is far to ancient to learn any new tricks and will bumble along just as he has always done. Getting "our business done early" for Les means before 11.30pm on transfer deadline day.

Have we. I'm sure you'll be able to show us where that's been said or are you, as per usual, just full of sh_it?

They would have got one at the start of the following season, had they held on to their jobs. That's all it is.

Here's Koeman being interviewed ahead of his second season.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2015-06-30/koeman-looking-forward-to-pre-season-reunions

I kind of regret starting this thread now.

This isn't the start of the season. Or the end of last season. Or when a new-ish manager would normally get a big-production interview.

I think this suggests a shift in power, away from Reed and to a lesser extent from Krueger. They made a real mess of the last 2 years, operationally, and Hughes knew it. There were no obviously better candidates, and nobody has the confidence in themselves now to dip into the pool and think they're gonna hook out another Pochettino. I'd be amazed if this interview isn't Hughes saying, very diplomatically, that he's in charge now. I think it's about as good a situation as we could have hoped for, given where we were pre Pellegrino's departure.

I kind of regret starting this thread now.

This isn't the start of the season. Or the end of last season. Or when a new-ish manager would normally get a big-production interview.

I think this suggests a shift in power, away from Reed and to a lesser extent from Krueger. They made a real mess of the last 2 years, operationally, and Hughes knew it. There were no obviously better candidates, and nobody has the confidence in themselves now to dip into the pool and think they're gonna hook out another Pochettino. I'd be amazed if this interview isn't Hughes saying, very diplomatically, that he's in charge now. I think it's about as good a situation as we could have hoped for, given where we were pre Pellegrino's departure.

You saved yourself! Yep, it looks like a bit of a shift of power while Reed and co were eating humble pie.......at last I hope so.

I agree with you PAL, but our PAL Shylock isn't my PAL and I would suspect is not one of your friends.

I think that calling everybody PAL might be construed by somebody other than I, as showing disrespect to everyone. No disrespect intended.

I note with interest that Hughes says nothing about formations. Litmus test. Southampton Way or Hughes' Way?

Just as well too. To be fair, it's early days, and likely that the team will be around the same strength or perhaps even a little weaker than now, given comings and goings over the summer. I'll be pleasantly surprised if there are major signings while there are almost certainly going to be departures, so Mark Hughes's evolving 'way' and style will surely be determined by how he manages to get the best out of players, and he certainly did this during later matches.

Realistically 'the Southampton Way' may have to wait until more gifted youth players emerge.

I think that his intention for Saints to play 'front foot' football is exciting but comes with defensive risks, so I'm prepared for a few nasty shocks. But in the long term we should enjoy far more interesting matches, and a good mid-table position.

I'm very ok with building on that after the last two seasons. Hughes does have good history with Saints as a player, he proudly wore the saints shirt, and I believe him when he says that his past links with Saints were important to him when he took on the job of staving off relegation. He comes across as genuinely looking forward to a new challenge.

So glass more than half-full for me. Im very much looking forward to pre-season matches.