Gareth Southgate - Ex Saint?

Wurzel

Is this the reason why he doesn't like any player from southampton?

Who on Earth would you have picked from our current squad? Betrand has been below par all season and half the time looked like he could not give a sh1t. I wouldn't have taken him either.

Who on Earth would you have picked from our current squad? Betrand has been below par all season and half the time looked like he could not give a sh1t. I wouldn't have taken him either.

He did have a bad season but it says a lot about the England squad that Bertie is still their best option at left back. No doubt he should be on the plane. No other English Saints deserved to be there though.

The fact that no one I know, nor anyone on here was aware of Southgate having spent time on Saints' books makes me wonder whether this is a mistake.
I do seem to remember it mentioned on here before at some point. But I'm sure that Duncan could clarify whether it's correct or not.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The fact that no one I know, nor anyone on here was aware of Southgate having spent time on Saints' books makes me wonder whether this is a mistake.

Here is a reference in a Grauniad article last year, suggests Crystal Palace took him on after being released by Saints:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2017/mar/16/gareth-southgate-crystal-palace-captain-england-manager

BBC article says the same:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44360546

Maybe its just an urban myth, but it does seem to have legs from somewehere.

Profile on Gareth Southgate on 5L last night mentioned it, it was a good piece with Alan Smith (ex Palace manager) who was managing the Palace youth teams at the time. He would have been released from Saints at about 13-14 by the sounds of it (references in the piece to him playing for Palace 15's and 16's), I don't know how long he was actually with us?