James Maddison

Heisenberg

Wasn’t Promes a “done deal” for the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep seeing this yet don't recall hearing anything of the sort at the time, other than a vague comment that we could rekindle our interest in the summer. As usual on here that has been completely exaggerated and is now taken for gospel that it's a 'done deal'.

That source is probably just The Sun article I posted last night by Graeme Bryce :D
Like I said earlier... Would Harry Reed say positive things to Maddison about the current Leicester manager? Edited by Nolan

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/11407972/southampton-and-leicester-agree-james-maddison-fee-with-norwich

"One source has told Sky Sports News that Maddison prefers Southampton but he is still to decide which club he will join."

That source is probably just The Sun article I posted last night by Graeme Bryce :D

... or is the source Les ?

I keep seeing this yet don't recall hearing anything of the sort at the time, other than a vague comment that we could rekindle our interest in the summer. As usual on here that has been completely exaggerated and is now taken for gospel that it's a 'done deal'.
No, it was just a half hearted attempt by the club at the time to feed a few media contacts like Blackmore and Wilson with some vague bull about having an agreement in principle for a deal in the summer - with the aim of persuading the more gullible that it wasn't such a complete balls up of a window after all.

I think most at the time could see it for what it was.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No, it was just a half hearted attempt by the club at the time to feed a few media contacts like Blackmore and Wilson with some vague bull about having an agreement in principle for a deal in the summer - with the aim of persuading the more gullible that it wasn't such a complete balls up of a window after all.

It was so bad, even Pellegrino was saying we should act quicker on transfers FFS.

He played for Coventry, aren't Coventry and Leicester local rivals?

More from Coventry's perspective. There was the M69 Derby fixture, and during the 07/08 season where Coventry survived on the final day and Leicester dropped to league 1 there was a large amount of gloating towards the Foxes. Clearly things went on a different path for both sides after.

Reminded me of the same dynamic we have with someone like Reading when I lived there.

Edited by Colinjb

Thank goodness for people like you who are able to save us gullible ones from the club’s evil PR machine.

Same sun journo now reporting Maddison on his way to Leicester and having medical today.

Doesn't bode well for us if we are losing out to likes of Leicester and the most boring manager in the history of football.

I knew it was doomed the minute John Percy tweeted yesterday morning.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we are reported to have been in the running, but £25m is a cracking deal for Norwich -perhaps an EFL record?? They sold the Murphy lad to Newcastle for £11m in Jan, which feels closer to the mark.

Then again Million’s are tossed around like confetti these days, so what do I know.

Leicester have done well in the transfer window so far I think, Evans is a sound signing with the experience he brings to go alongside the excellent Maguire , Maddison will be a good buy for them but not sure if he'll fit as a replacement for Mahrez.

Think we can close this thread now.

Leicester showing up our transfer team as the rank amateurs they really are.

Reed has to go or we will never move forwards.

Stop being a tool. There are other non-footballing considerations to take into account as well. For example, as Maddison was born in Coventry maybe he has all his friends and family in the area, and maybe that was/is a deciding factor.

Stop being a tool. There are other non-footballing considerations to take into account as well. For example, as Maddison was born in Coventry maybe he has all his friends and family in the area, and maybe that was/is a deciding factor.

Agreed those non footballing considerations..... Like when Walcott joined us over Everton.

Not sure how this is the clubs fault. They offered Norwich the required amount of money so did Leicester.

It then comes down to the lads choice. Allegedly we have the more attractive manager to play for but Leicester are a club in a much better place than us right now and closer to his home territory. The only thing the club can do to swing it in their favour is offer massive wages to a 21 year old with one decent season under his belt.

Its all about club bashing on here, nothing to do with actual reasoning...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we are reported to have been in the running, but £25m is a cracking deal for Norwich -perhaps an EFL record?? They sold the Murphy lad to Newcastle for £11m in Jan, which feels closer to the mark.

Then again Million’s are tossed around like confetti these days, so what do I know.

£24/25m for a kid who's had one good season in division 2 is madness.

Redmond has shown that being good in division 2 doesn't translate to being good in the Premier league.

£24/25m for a kid who's had one good season in division 2 is madness.

Redmond has shown that being good in division 2 doesn't translate to being good in the Premier league.

I think we just need to accept that as the going rate for half decent players now, not much we can do about it. Football has changed so much in the last 2 seasons. £25m gets you a decent player, if he's english and young then the sell on potential is greater - and the fee will be greater.

Tricky isn't it? Go to the 2016 title winners for more money and a squad being reinforced early doors or the club that narrowly avoided relegation by finally sacking the worst manager the Premier has ever seen and scratching a win against Swansea. Must have been very hard for the lad.

Not sure how this is the clubs fault. They offered Norwich the required amount of money so did Leicester.

It then comes down to the lads choice. Allegedly we have the more attractive manager to play for but Leicester are a club in a much better place than us right now and closer to his home territory. The only thing the club can do to swing it in their favour is offer massive wages to a 21 year old with one decent season under his belt.

Really, I never new that our players went to liverpool because they paid us what we wanted for them... rather than more money.... silly me. :lol:

it comes down to the package we offered the player and his agent.

I don't necessarily blame the club for this particular transfer falling, but there is certainly a significant pattern of transfer failings and a poor strategy. Hopefully we improve as the clowns at the top aren't going anywhere clearly.

What we don't need, is fans constantly posting a biased defence of the failings with wilfully misleading posts.

I think we just need to accept that as the going rate for half decent players now, not much we can do about it. Football has changed so much in the last 2 seasons. £25m gets you a decent player, if he's english and young then the sell on potential is greater - and the fee will be greater.

I guess you're right. 4 years ago we would have bought him for £5m and sold for £15m. Now we have to pay £25m and hope to sell for £75m.

does that really matter? How many kids leave home at 18 to go to university and never return to their home area? In any case you can be in Coventry in 2 1/2-3 hours from Southampton on a clear run anyway. Maddison would already have known Ward-Prowse, Target, Redmond and Stephens from England U21s so it's not like he's moving thousands of miles away to play with a bunch of strangers.

The fact of the matter is Leicester are a considerably more attractive option to us at the moment and they are spending but doing it wisely. Not many better centre back pairings outside the top 6 than Macguire and Evans for example and they cost around the same as we spent on Hoedt and Bednarek.

Its all about club bashing on here, nothing to do with actual reasoning...

It's so easy to slag off the club for something which is based on pure speculation (this thread) !

Nobody knows the full story or even if we were actually in for him in the first place.. but, hey ho, let's have a real go at Les & co, cos we know best !

Not too disappointed, sounds like a good player but very recent emergence and also Norwich thought he had done his ACL at the end of last season. So element of risk there. Also, I feel Saints need express pace more than another 10 which Tadic covers.

Maddison would already have known Ward-Prowse, Target, Redmond and Stephens from England U21s so it's not like he's moving thousands of miles away to play with a bunch of strangers.

That is wrong.

James Maddison is younger than all of them, his first England under 21 call up was in November 2017.

In November 2017 Ward-Prowse, Targett, Redmond and Stephens were all too old to qualify for England under 21s. So Maddison would not know them from playing for England u21s.

Not too disappointed, sounds like a good player but very recent emergence and also Norwich thought he had done his ACL at the end of last season. So element of risk there. Also, I feel Saints need express pace more than another 10 which Tadic covers.

Tadic is not a 10, he is an inside forward, plays wide cuts inside.. which is why he likes to play on right even though he is left footed

Can only assume he always preferred Leicester but they hadn't had a bid accepted so we thought we could be an option for him if they weren't willing to match our fee. Otherwise if we knew he would pick them then why bid?

Bit of a blow. A side like Leicester were miles better than us last season and already have 2 (3) good signings sorted whilst we have none.

Tick tock Wee Ross.

Agreed those non footballing considerations..... Like when Walcott joined us over Everton.

Of course the much bigger wage packet had absolutely nothing to do with his decision. Personally I blame Reed for the fact that Messi went to Barcelona and Ronaldo went to Madrid.

It's so easy to slag off the club for something which is based on pure speculation (this thread) !

Nobody knows the full story or even if we were actually in for him in the first place.. but, hey ho, let's have a real go at Les & co, cos we know best !

I don’t think there’s too much doubt we were in for him.

Tricky isn't it? Go to the 2016 title winners for more money and a squad being reinforced early doors or the club that narrowly avoided relegation by finally sacking the worst manager the Premier has ever seen and scratching a win against Swansea. Must have been very hard for the lad.

But we both start next season in the same position, with no points. Weren't we above Leicester when Puel joined them? For mid-table clubs like Saints and Leicester there's very little between relegation battle and Europa League, i.e. West Ham, and Everton who consistently think they should be top 8 but are actually bottom half clubs.

I don't think there's much to choose between Saints and Leicester, they're similar sized cities with almost identical stadiums. It's up to Reed etc to sell the club to prospective players, i.e. training ground, ambition, heritage, 1st team opportunities, quality of squad, etc...

Leicester's only bonus is that they can say 3 years ago they won the league which they've never looked close to repeating. We could argue that we've got the better training facilities. We could both argue that we'd get the best of the player and develop him further.

But we both start next season in the same position, with no points. Weren't we above Leicester when Puel joined them? For mid-table clubs like Saints and Leicester there's very little between relegation battle and Europa League, i.e. West Ham, and Everton who consistently think they should be top 8 but are actually bottom half clubs.

I don't think there's much to choose between Saints and Leicester, they're similar sized cities with almost identical stadiums. It's up to Reed etc to sell the club to prospective players, i.e. training ground, ambition, heritage, 1st team opportunities, quality of squad, etc...

Leicester's only bonus is that they can say 3 years ago they won the league which they've never looked close to repeating. We could argue that we've got the better training facilities. We could both argue that we'd get the best of the player and develop him further.

Would be very happy but also pretty surprised if we finish above Leicester next season.

Really, I never new that our players went to liverpool because they paid us what we wanted for them... rather than more money.... silly me. :lol:

it comes down to the package we offered the player and his agent.

I don't necessarily blame the club for this particular transfer falling, but there is certainly a significant pattern of transfer failings and a poor strategy. Hopefully we improve as the clowns at the top aren't going anywhere clearly.

What we don't need, is fans constantly posting a biased defence of the failings with wilfully misleading posts.

WTF are you talking about?

What's wilfully misleading in my post? both saints and Leicester had bid accepted by Norwich.

That left it down to the player to decide which option he preferred given the recent history of the two clubs why is anyone surprised he would pick Leicester?

The only thing we could do to be more the attractive option is blow Leicester out of the water with a huge wage offer and that was never going to happen ( And isn't a sustainable way for the club anyway)

I'm quite happy to bash the club when its called for. But in this case, the way I see it is the club have tried to sign a decent young player, and failed because he prefers a more attractive option...... **** happens