Ben Gibson

Heisenberg

I'm not sure he is. Speaking to a Boro supporting mate (well, he's Blackburn but his missus is Boro and watches a lot of them) he said, and I quote:

"He's OK in the Champ, but then so are a lot of players."

Ringing endorsement there.

Hmmm, that doesn't really tie up with what the Boro fan I work with said (see a few post 87)

We were told we'd need to sell to spend, so I'm assuming we need £15m from Tadic to afford the £20m for Gibson.

Were we though? I struggle to see how that can be the case, given that clubs like Huddersfield and Bournemouth can shell out £15m+ without selling. We've just sold a defender for the highest ever fee and obtain the same millions from the PL as the other clubs, and with a little more in revenue. If that is the case and even after all this we still need to spend to buy, we have had some severe financial mismanagment that will leave us in a mess for years to come and someone will need to answer to the fans.

We were told we'd need to sell to spend, so I'm assuming we need £15m from Tadic to afford the £20m for Gibson.

I mean, this alone is quite unbelievable considering we only appear to have spent (wasted) £20m of the van Dijk money. I get that there are other things clubs have to spend money aside from transfer fees, but in case anyone hadn't noticed, PL clubs also tend to earn quite a lot of money from other sources too...

I've never wanted us to be a club that spends money it doesn't have, gambles on success, or relies on cash injections from a billionaire to progress, but it is very worrying that despite selling players for such huge sums of money (which I'm not against per se) we are still broke.

Were we though? I struggle to see how that can be the case, given that clubs like Huddersfield and Bournemouth can shell out £15m+ without selling. We've just sold a defender for the highest ever fee and obtain the same millions from the PL as the other clubs, and with a little more in revenue. If that is the case and even after all this we still need to spend to buy, we have had some severe financial mismanagment that will leave us in a mess for years to come and someone will need to answer to the fans.

nobody needs answer to the fans anymore. The club is privately owned, there is no public AGM anymore. As Mr Holley regularly states we are a rich mans play thing. They can do what they like and however badly they like.....and they do.

The Leitch article in the Echo confirms for me that Tadic is going BUT yet again a replacement hasn’t come in first. **** me, Leicester are buying before Marhez goes but we aren’t capable of doing that. I bet the powers that be can’t believe Maddison didn’t choose us, how dare he, cocky little upstart.

Still they are off to China for pre season so at least Gao can show off his new toy to his mates. That’s all that seems to matter.

I really don't get it either. People say we need to sell to buy but we have sold and massively so.

If it is true you have to wonder where clubs like Palace are getting an extra £200m from in the net spend table.

I thought that was what was said, or not said, with RK's constant refusal to ask Adam Blackmore's "money" question.

It's not financial mismanagement, but the club was bought with debt, and a lot of the money we would have made will be used to service that debt. That and the decrease in TV money is why (imo) we've not got money to spend.

I mean, this alone is quite unbelievable considering we only appear to have spent (wasted) £20m of the van Dijk money. I get that there are other things clubs have to spend money aside from transfer fees, but in case anyone hadn't noticed, PL clubs also tend to earn quite a lot of money from other sources too...

I've never wanted us to be a club that spends money it doesn't have, gambles on success, or relies on cash injections from a billionaire to progress, but it is very worrying that despite selling players for such huge sums of money (which I'm not against per se) we are still broke.

I don't think we're broke, I think the money is being held back to service the debt created by Gao when purchasing the club.

I thought that was what was said, or not said, with RK's constant refusal to ask Adam Blackmore's "money" question.

It's not financial mismanagement, but the club was bought with debt, and a lot of the money we would have made will be used to service that debt. That and the decrease in TV money is why (imo) we've not got money to spend.

It is complete financial mismanagement if that's the case and we still decided it was a good idea to splurge £20m on Carrillo.

I don't think we're broke, I think the money is being held back to service the debt created by Gao when purchasing the club.

And if that's the case, this takeover is the most pointless takeovers in the history of takeovers and will ruin us.

It is complete financial mismanagement if that's the case and we still decided it was a good idea to splurge £20m on Carrillo.

That's not the definition of "Financial Mismanagement". It's **** for the fans, but it's not mismanagement. It's a legitimate way to purchase a business that you don't have the money for.

That's not the definition of "Financial Mismanagement". It's **** for the fans, but it's not mismanagement. It's a legitimate way to purchase a business that you don't have the money for.

Or you just don't buy the business and leave us fans out of your funny business.

I thought the whole point of FPP was to stop stuff like this happening. Otherwise I'd have gone down To St Mary's myself and 'bought' the club with player sales for the next 5 years.

And if that's the case, this takeover is the most pointless takeovers in the history of takeovers and will ruin us.

Kat told us otherwise, that the deal was necessary to help the club move forward and fulfill its ambitions, so time will tell.

Not for Gao - he's getting the majority of a football club for (near on) free, and I would assume he believes that due to our previous record of buying/selling and bringing through players he can spend a minimal amount and use player sell-ons to enable us to stay up in future.

If he takes £30m per year to service the debt, and leaves £15m to spend, for example, top that up with £40m of selling our players, leaves us £55m to spend on players, and he gets his free club in 6 years. Oh, and a free club that he can use to build a small development around the ground, using money from the shops/restaurants/hotels to fund, for his company to build.

This guy's not stupid. He's very canny. Just not good for Saints - but we all knew that when he purchased us.

What, that he was bang average last year in the Champ? Reading your post that's exactly what it looks like it said ("...he wasn't bad...")

Ok yes, I guess so...! But I had a bit more context in my post, because the implication was that he was decent in the Prem and lost it last season despite being in a worse league. I read yours (i.e. the guy you work with) as "he's an ok champ player, who knows if he will cut it in the Prem".

Wasn't a criticism of your post, just trying to add a bit more info.

That's nowt to do with with FFP - that's about spending by the club, not someone purchasing the club.

FPP - Fit and Proper persons test, not FFP.

Not for Gao - he's getting the majority of a football club for (near on) free

I'm no accountant but that cannot be legal. Surely if ever there was a blatant front for money laundering....

That's nowt to do with with FFP - that's about spending by the club, not someone purchasing the club.

I think he meant fit and proper persons, which is a fair point. This takeover was held by the league for a while and we may be starting to see why.

Ok yes, I guess so...! But I had a bit more context in my post, because the implication was that he was decent in the Prem and lost it last season despite being in a worse league. I read yours (i.e. the guy you work with) as "he's an ok champ player, who knows if he will cut it in the Prem".

Wasn't a criticism of your post, just trying to add a bit more info.

Nah, that's cool. Don't think this guy watched him in the Prem. Of course then they were very defensive under Karanka and didn't concede many probably due to the formation as much as anything.

I don't know why people think we have no money we clearly do and we spend it (when was the last season we didn't buy any players?) more of nan issue for me is we haven't spent it very well the last two seasons.

We're not saying we have no money, we're saying it's being set aside for other things.

Sorry to be a bore .... but any news on The Topic at Hand here?????

Another Sizzling Fantastic Friday Announcement or just put back onto the back burner and forgotten about #anotheronethatgotaway or maybe #neverreallywasastarter ?

Another one blinded by all this high finance talk from experts ?.

Boro have now signed Aden Flint I believe so that paves the way for Gibson to leave. However, Everton are offering a couple of decent players which could tempt both club and player.

Not necessarily. We may not NEED to sell to buy but we may have decided that's our approach. We may just have an owner who wants to maximise profit and spend little.

If a foreigner wants to invest in property/commercial development in Southampton, why on earth do they need to buy the football club to do that? Turn up and speak to a couple of councillors and you're away.

And why buy a football club with the sole intent of generating money to pay back the loan used to buy it?

In both those instances, the sensible course of action is kind is to not buy the football club at all.

If a foreigner wants to invest in property/commercial development in Southampton, why on earth do they need to buy the football club to do that? Turn up and speak to a couple of councillors and you're away.

And why buy a football club with the sole intent of generating money to pay back the loan used to buy it?

In both those instances, the sensible course of action is kind is to not buy the football club at all.

Yeah, no one sensible thinks that's what Gao is up to.

Or buy a club for circa 200 million. Sell off as many assets needed to million loan. Whatever is left is profit even if it’s a championship club.

Because you make £200m for free over 6 years - more than his current worth? And then you can generate business for your company off the back of it, and also break into a market that is difficult for foreign firms.

Do you understand what I'm proposing here because your comment above is not in keeping with what I am suggesting? It's what the Glazer's did at United on a much larger scale.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

I dont think signing Gibson will be enough. If we are going 3 at the back, we need to pull our finger out and bid for Fender and Paul Reed Smith. That'll be a rocking back 3.

Not going to happen, we've just let our very own Schecter go to West Ham FFS.

Because you make £200m for free over 6 years - more than his current worth? And then you can generate business for your company off the back of it, and also break into a market that is difficult for foreign firms.

Do you understand what I'm proposing here because your comment above is not in keeping with what I am suggesting? It's what the Glazer's did at United on a much larger scale.

The Glazers whose Manchester United break world record transfer fees, pay huge wages and appoint elite level managers?

Brilliant. Assuming the pro-rata Southampton version of a Glazers approach would be, say, Leicester City levels of transfer fees, or Palace paying £30m for Benteke then happy days.

I remember him being solid when they were in the PL, should be a good signing, still young for a centre-back and English.

£25 million will be too much, but sub £20 million would be a good deal I reckon, similar to what Leicester paid for Maguire.

I am presuming (if this is true) that we have the intention of playing 3 at the back, considering the emergence of Bednerak.