Ben Gibson

Heisenberg

Everything has been agreed between player & club and between the clubs.

If Everton gazump us then there is nothing to suggest that we won't match that offer. Then it's simply down to the player.

Won't stop our entitled fans mithering though.

This "entitled fans" crap really is tiresome. It's not entitled to want your team to do well and to sign players who might help achieve that (don't think Gibson fits that to be honest). If we miss out it demonstrates a lack of pulling power but there's no argument that Everton are a better outfit than we are at the moment (yet in the past we were able to sign players above our station as Wolves are for example) although it can't be good for club morale if we do miss out on our first two transfer targets.

This "entitled fans" crap really is tiresome. It's not entitled to want your team to do well and to sign players who might help achieve that (don't think Gibson fits that to be honest). If we miss out it demonstrates a lack of pulling power but there's no argument that Everton are a better outfit than we are at the moment (yet in the past we were able to sign players above our station as Wolves are for example) although it can't be good for club morale if we do miss out on our first two transfer targets.

It maybe tiresome to you but it's 'kin bob on.

Whinging, mithering, entitled wa_nkpuffins who throw their dollies out when their football club isn't signing galaticos.

Even worse on twitter. None of us are happy about the situation but whinging about every fu_cking thing as you do is firesome in the extreme.

Whinging, mithering, entitled wa_nkpuffins who throw their dollies out when their football club isn't signing galaticos.

Even worse on twitter. None of us are happy about the situation but whinging about every fu_cking thing as you do is firesome in the extreme.

Exactly this!

I would love SFC to be signing everyone who I deem fit but it ain’t ever happening. Never has and never will (Keegan aside [emoji6]).

BTW thanks for the update.

Everything has been agreed between player & club and between the clubs.

If Everton gazump us then there is nothing to suggest that we won't match that offer. Then it's simply down to the player.

Won't stop our entitled fans mithering though.

What's stopping deal from being announced then?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Ok but "entitled" clearly isn't the word for it is it? The fans you cite as whingers are being asked to renew season tickets at a price which is the sixth highest in the league whilst watching a squad that scraped 17th being stripped of its remaining talent. On that logic perhaps we are "entitled" to expect something better than what is being provided for the money that's being asked?

Every set of football fans are entitled using the logic employed on here so stop making out as though the posts on here are unique to Saints, they aren't. If we were watching West Ham struggling to get players over the line, having finished 17th and whilst flogging Arnautovic we'd be ****ing ourselves...

Just back from Ascot, coincidentally spending the day with a Boro fan (wife's friends hubby).

He said Gibson was (and a recurring theme) distinctly average. He reckons anything about £8m is too much. Said he did well under Karanka as so defensive. Not string, not quick, not good in the air.

Sigh.

Lad is Jack Stephens mark II - need a big lad, and a leader or someone vocal. Id rather go for Mawson

Mawson is only 1 inch taller than Gibson, that is hardly a huge gap in height.

What makes you think Gibson is not a leader or vocal? He is Middlesbrough's captain and knows how to point...

4221396001_5560737696001_5560733356001-vs.jpg?pubId=4221396001&videoId=5560733356001

Just back from Ascot, coincidentally spending the day with a Boro fan (wife's friends hubby).

He said Gibson was (and a recurring theme) distinctly average. He reckons anything about £8m is too much. Said he did well under Karanka as so defensive. Not string, not quick, not good in the air.

Sigh.

I wouldn't base your judgement of a player on the opinion of one fan - especially when that player is leaving the club they support - probably trying to convince himself they weren't that good anyway, like a man whose wife has run off with the milkman.

I wouldn't base your judgement of a player on the opinion of one fan - especially when that player is leaving the club they support - probably trying to convince himself they weren't that good anyway, like a man whose wife has run off with the milkman.

He wasn't aware of it - I just asked him what he thought of Gibson. Also, it's fan number 2 that I've asked as per earlier in thread. Same conclusion.

Some individuals will always be higher and mightier than others (in their own minds anyway)...I wouldn't worry about it.. You are just as entitled to your opinion as they are.

Interesting point about Everton, 18 months ago I would have said we would have been on a par with them (for attracting players to the club)- IMO we would have been about level with the "best of the rest"..

Now I would say we are behind Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle as well as the top 6 obviously. I think we would be in a group with Watford, Burnley, Palace and maybe Fulham?

It's quite subjective from a fans view, and maybe other fans may see it differently?

Some individuals will always be higher and mightier than others (in their own minds anyway)...I wouldn't worry about it.. You are just as entitled to your opinion as they are.

Interesting point about Everton, 18 months ago I would have said we would have been on a par with them (for attracting players to the club)- IMO we would have been about level with the "best of the rest"..

Now I would say we are behind Everton, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle as well as the top 6 obviously. I think we would be in a group with Watford, Burnley, Palace and maybe Fulham?

It's quite subjective from a fans view, and maybe other fans may see it differently?

dont forget bournemouth. We are direct competition with them now. It was the direction of travel fort he last 18 months and NOTHING has changed that

Years of complacency, arrogance and lack of ambition.

Wolves a club on the rise, Southampton a club on the down fall.

Ahh right, are we a long way behind?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

How are we behind Wolves?

I was talking about attracting players, do you think currently we are a more attractive proposition than Wolves?

I would say,IMO only, that a player having exactly the same terms would probably chose Wolves over us. They have the potential, the backing and a rich history which might just give them the edge. A club on the up.

We on the other hand, have just avoided relegation, have had three managers in the last 18 months, made two players sit outside of the first team squad for different reasons (therefore we potentially have unrest in the camp), have played poor football which suggests we are not a great showcase for a player to show he is good enough for Liverpool and players who made the England squads previously dropped out of contention due to our poor form last season...including Bertrand who started the last season pretty much as England's first choice left back but ended up not even in the squad for the World Cup.

I would be interested in why you think someone would chose us over Wolves?

Sadly we have slipped down the pecking order in terms of selling ourselves to players as a club on the rise.

In terms of spending power regarding paying wages and transfer fees, there is not such a marked difference between all the clubs outside the top six. Saints succeed in attracting players like VVD, Wanyama & Mane etc. by presenting ourselves as a club on the rise, stating we wanted to compete in Europe, to push the top 6. In short the whole vibe was positive, there was ambition, it felt genuinely like we were on the rise. You could see why players were keen to sign for us.

Contrast that vision only 3 years ago to Krugers recent comments, "we are a small club, an average club". If you were a player looking for a move and 2/3 clubs were all offering similar wages, where's the ambition, the vision from those running the club that would persuade a player too choose us over any of the other clubs outside the top six!

Kruger went on to state that he wanted us to return to "the Southampton Way" which many interrupted as allowing players a big move on after a couple of years. To be honest, any player if good enough, would get a big move, you don't need to join Saints to achieve that ambition. If a player believes themselves good enough, then they want to be at a club that will give them the stage to showcase their talent and a team that has players to help them thrive. Sadly at the moment I can't see anything unique that Saints are offering that marks us out from the rest of the pack.

In Krugers last interview, when pressed about Gaus plans for Saints and why we have heard nothing from him, Kruger stated it was his job to represent the chairman and to be the public face, therefore the concern is those comments would have presumably come with the approval of the chairman.

To be the public face of a company and to present such an underwhelming vision does nothing to inspire the fan, potential signings and as importantly, existing player's.

Ahh right, are we a long way behind?

Doh, because they have just been promoted after years of trying so i`s obvious :rolleyes:

Acrrington Stanley have just got promoted too and a ahead of us too... ;)

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Sigh.

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

I was talking about attracting players, do you think currently we are a more attractive proposition than Wolves?

I would say,IMO only, that a player having exactly the same terms would probably chose Wolves over us. They have the potential, the backing and a rich history which might just give them the edge. A club on the up.

We on the other hand, have just avoided relegation, have had three managers in the last 18 months, made two players sit outside of the first team squad for different reasons (therefore we potentially have unrest in the camp), have played poor football which suggests we are not a great showcase for a player to show he is good enough for Liverpool and players who made the England squads previously dropped out of contention due to our poor form last season...including Bertrand who started the last season pretty much as England's first choice left back but ended up not even in the squad for the World Cup.

I would be interested in why you think someone would chose us over Wolves?

To keep it brief Fred I think that we are probably two similar sized clubs with about the same potential, if anything I think we edge it. Yes Wolves have a rich history in yesteryear, but I doubt many players would think that counts for very much right now. Most players would probably look over the course of the last 5 years, and if you do that - you see us having 3 very good years and 2 not so good years. Yes we scraped by last year - but we now have a chance to kick on.

It's very easy to kick the club right now - god knows you only have to look on this forum - we've turned it into an art form. But, we go again, it might just be me, but whenever we start a new season I am optimistic that we can do well. Do I fear Wolves (even though they beat us last season), no I don't, but neither do I fear Man U, City, Scousers, I certainly don't see us 'behind' Wolves. In my lifetime we are a mid - lower premiere league side - so perhaps its easier to get a realistic picture of the footballing hierarchy and where we can expect to end up.

To keep it brief Fred I think that we are probably two similar sized clubs with about the same potential, if anything I think we edge it. Yes Wolves have a rich history in yesteryear, but I doubt many players would think that counts for very much right now. Most players would probably look over the course of the last 5 years, and if you do that - you see us having 3 very good years and 2 not so good years. Yes we scraped by last year - but we now have a chance to kick on.

It's very easy to kick the club right now - god knows you only have to look on this forum - we've turned it into an art form. But, we go again, it might just be me, but whenever we start a new season I am optimistic that we can do well. Do I fear Wolves (even though they beat us last season), no I don't, but neither do I fear Man U, City, Scousers, I certainly don't see us 'behind' Wolves. In my lifetime we are a mid - lower premiere league side - so perhaps its easier to get a realistic picture of the footballing hierarchy and where we can expect to end up.

Hard to believe that Wolves had an average home gate of only 4,002 in 1985/86, when they were strugggling in the Third Division. But, right now, everyone in football ia aware that they have a very rich owner and are an ambitious club on the up and that makes a huge difference, as it could to just about any club, including Saints.

I have lost count of the number of English clubs over the last decade that have been acquired by very rich owners, had significant investment to get into the Premier League, with no doubt a clear determination to 'break the top 6'... but then reality kicks in, along with the realisation that big investment does not even necessarily guarantee Premier League survival. Chelsea and Man City are the ONLY teams to break the Top 6 in the last decade, and both achieved it on the premise that money is no object. Outside of the top 6, anyone can go down, regardless of the money they spend. Money cannot possibly be a substitute for running the club well; good coaching, good scouting, an innovative approach to the transfer market are required. Wolves might do OK, but there's no guarantee. They're clearly able to pick players from Mendes' stable, but this in itself indicates that their scouting and recruitment might have some limitations. Overall I think Wolves are well-placed currently to establish themselves in the Premier League, but beyond that they will not have the investment required to go any further than that.

I think even the biggest saints fan would question signing for us just now.

We have lost our spark, appeal and mojo past couple of years.

Can't see that changing while the current management team remains unfortunately.

giphy.gif

:lol:

If 'Boro's imminent signing of Paddy McNair wasn't going to speed up Gibson's exit, then an Aiden Flint medical certainly will.

FLINT HAVING BORO MEDICAL

Sky Sources understand defender Aden Flint currently undergoing a medical at Middlesbrough with a fee agreed with Bristol City.

SSN are unsure how much exactly, but is understood to be around £7m. Paddy McNair had medical at Boro yesterday.[/Quote]

If 'Boro's imminent signing of Paddy McNair wasn't going to speed up Gibson's exit, then an Aiden Flint medical certainly will.

Paddy McNair is an attacking midfielder now (of the Armstrong Davis type) remarkably, Flint I imagine is Gibson’s replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paddy McNair is an attacking midfielder now (of the Armstrong Davis type) remarkably, Flint I imagine is Gibson’s replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense, he can't be any worse there than he was at centre back.

Makes sense, he can't be any worse there than he was at centre back.

Remember the usual hype created when he and that Tyler Blackett got a few games for United!!!

But like that Woodburn kid at Liverpool, plays about 45 mins of football and gets hyped up as the next big thing

The Sun claims that Boro have not received any inquiries for Gibson, so far...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6631926/boro-transfer-news-bristol-city-aden-flint/

I'm sure that will change pretty quickly, especially with Everton sniffing about.

We've been linked pretty heavily with Gibson & Christopher Jullien for the last couple of seasons, so I reckon (hope) we'll land one of them.