Dusan Tadic to Ajax - Undisclosed (£10M)

Feyenoord1908

If he wanted to go that's fine but why did we not wait until after Serbia go out to see if anyone else comes in based on his performance?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I think the move to Ajax has been on for a good while tbh.

Sad to see him leave - at least he did it as a pro and didn’t go on strike like - well you know who I mean. Also he really showed class when most needed at the end of last season and for that we Saints fans should be ever thankful.

So thank Dusan and good luck

If he wanted to go that's fine but why did we not wait until after Serbia go out to see if anyone else comes in based on his performance?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I think in this case the move wasn't about money. Dusan clearly had his heart set on Ajax. It seems he really wanted to go back to the Netherlands in which case I doubt we were going to get a better offer than the one Ajax made.

I seem to recall one of ITK, on here, saying the club would honour some promises made to players last summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those.

Ajax can't lie to the stock market. If they say they've handed us 11.9m euros, then that's exactly what they'll have done.

I’m not saying they haven’t, what I’m saying is the add ons will eventually take us to somewhere in the middle of that €11.9m and the £18m we were asking for.

I’m not saying they haven’t, what I’m saying is the add ons will eventually take us to somewhere in the middle of that €11.9m and the £18m we were asking for.

That's also covered in their disclosure about the signing. 11.9m euro (£10.45m) rising to a possible 13.7m euro (£12.07m) with bonuses. In other words, the most we'll get is a good £6m shy of the quoted £18m.

That's also covered in their disclosure about the signing. 11.9m euro (£10.45m) rising to a possible 13.7m euro (£12.07m) with bonuses. In other words, the most we'll get is a good £6m shy of the quoted £18m.

You're only forgetting something. Ajax paid considerably more for Tadic but the cut they paid to Tadic hasn't been included in the fee mentioned to the press. The 11.4 million mentioned rising to 13.7 million is the net fee that Saints will get. The buyout clause of Tadic was 17.1 million Euro's and 80% of that value is 13.7 million Euro's. Ajax don't have to disclose individual signing on fees and salaries so they only disclosed the net transfer fee that Southampton will get and paid the remaining 20% to Tadic separately.

I'd guess because the reason he wants to leave is to move back to the Netherlands. If it was money motivated he'd stay with us.

Yep, and to be fair Ajax are a massive club with a great history, super stadium and huge fan base. Best of luck to him..

It's being widely reported on mainstream media outlets that the initial fee is €11.4M (c£10M). Do all the media have an anti-SFC agenda?

If you use media reports to criticise the club... then on here yes.

Laughable given the flack I got for saying that selling him for £15m is too little. Queue abuse and snidey comments. Now its £10m.

All the best to Tadic and thank you for the memories.

Shockingly poor transfer management from the club though.

You're only forgetting something. Ajax paid considerably more for Tadic but the cut they paid to Tadic hasn't been included in the fee mentioned to the press. The 11.4 million mentioned rising to 13.7 million is the net fee that Saints will get. The buyout clause of Tadic was 17.1 million Euro's and 80% of that value is 13.7 million Euro's. Ajax don't have to disclose individual signing on fees and salaries so they only disclosed the net transfer fee that Southampton will get and paid the remaining 20% to Tadic separately.

If there’s a buyout clause why would we (Southampton) allow Tadic to claim the remaining 20%? We’re entitled to it, not Tadic.

If there’s a buyout clause why would we (Southampton) allow Tadic to claim the remaining 20%? We’re entitled to it, not Tadic.

Don't think there was a buyout clause. In the past, if a player did not ask for a transfer then he got 10% of the transfer fee (confirmed by an ex player). So cannot see that would have changed now (and maybe even higher?). Add to that agents fee's etc. and not unreasonable to see 20% sliced off the headline figure. Plus, he may well be on a lesser wage at Ajax and so may have wanted a signing on bonus.

Probably suits us as he would have been on a reasonably high wage which is now freed up, and if he wanted a move we do not want a repeat of the VVD debacle (although doubt Tadic would have kicked up a fuss). Timing may be unfortunate, but I think this is a good and honorable all round. Tad gave us some good times, and maybe burst a gut in the run in last term, as we agreed to his move if he gave his all?

I liked him and sad to see him go, but all players move on eventually, and best to do so amicably. Wish him well and we move on.

Wish he'd gone to PSV instead, but it's a move that makes sense for him for a few reasons. Trophies, family, lifestyle, etc.

He copped a lot of stick last season (quite rightly for the most part) but he was still our most creative player by far when he decided to turn up.

20 goals across four seasons is probably a little short for the position he was playing, and not helped by his **** penalties and constant desire to farm out chances to others.

28 assists in that period... should and would have been four or five times that if we strikers who could find the net.

He suffered a lot due to our lack of a big target man I reckon.

I remember when he was the first RK signing, after the tumult of Summer 2014. That - and Pelle coming in soon after - got me excited again after the big departures.

I expect he'll go on to bag a few trophies now and I wish him all the best in doing so.

I'll watch a few more Ajax games for sure.

Don't think there was a buyout clause. In the past, if a player did not ask for a transfer then he got 10% of the transfer fee (confirmed by an ex player). So cannot see that would have changed now (and maybe even higher?). Add to that agents fee's etc. and not unreasonable to see 20% sliced off the headline figure. Plus, he may well be on a lesser wage at Ajax and so may have wanted a signing on bonus.

Probably suits us as he would have been on a reasonably high wage which is now freed up, and if he wanted a move we do not want a repeat of the VVD debacle (although doubt Tadic would have kicked up a fuss). Timing may be unfortunate, but I think this is a good and honorable all round. Tad gave us some good times, and maybe burst a gut in the run in last term, as we agreed to his move if he gave his all?

I liked him and sad to see him go, but all players move on eventually, and best to do so amicably. Wish him well and we move on.

Every time a player is sold and the player hasn’t formally requested a transfer, they get 10% of the transfer fee? This is surely not true? Even if happened in 1 instance (which player confirmed it?) how does work in practice? You are actively incentivising the player to move, as they get paid big time when they leave? That’s the antithesis of a loyalty bonus encouraging them to stay?

I thought loyalty bonuses saw the club paying up a percentage of the wages due to the player over the remainder of the contract, the argument being that the player would have earned those wages, but can’t as the club is releasing him from his contract. The % due would depend on a range of factors and would vary from each player to player

Seems a deal that likely suits everybody. We get some money while he’s still got some resale value for a very skillful if inconsistent player who’s probably looking for a new challenge.

In a nutshell.

Shame, decent player and £10M is a snip but it looks like he wants to go so no point trying to force him to stay.

If the club could get Shaqiri instead then great but I doubt he'd come. Recent history suggests either we won't replace him (major mistake) or we'll get a substandard replacement (major mistake).

Shame, decent player and £10M is a snip but it looks like he wants to go so no point trying to force him to stay.

If the club could get Shaqiri instead then great but I doubt he'd come. Recent history suggests either we won't replace him (major mistake) or we'll get a substandard replacement (major mistake).

You are aware that we are heavily linked with Mo Elyounoussi ?

He has given us 4 good years with bits of inconsistency amongst moments of magic.

On the whole he has been a good servant to the club and leaves us in the right manner, and at the right time for him too.

Good luck Dusan and Thanks

Every time a player is sold and the player hasn’t formally requested a transfer, they get 10% of the transfer fee? This is surely not true? Even if happened in 1 instance (which player confirmed it?) how does work in practice? You are actively incentivising the player to move, as they get paid big time when they leave? That’s the antithesis of a loyalty bonus encouraging them to stay?

I thought loyalty bonuses saw the club paying up a percentage of the wages due to the player over the remainder of the contract, the argument being that the player would have earned those wages, but can’t as the club is releasing him from his contract. The % due would depend on a range of factors and would vary from each player to player

Have a read of this:

https://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-much-football-transfer-actually-11819734

Yep - Ajax will pay Tadic a signing on fee. That doesn’t come out of saints’ end though?! So if Tadic is £10m. Saints get £10m. If Ajax choose to give Tadic £1m to encourage him to sign, that’s up to them? It’s nothing to do with fee saints receive. It also doesn’t depend on transfer fee. For example, players moving in a free transfer typically a much greater signing on bonus (as the club don’t have to pay a fee for the player, so can afford more wages for him). Clubs are free to offer whatever signing on fee they want, it’s not mandated at 10% of fee. It will depend on a multitude of factors

I actually find that a little distasteful if true. Sure it's not my money in any sense, and why should I care about Twente. But if there was an arrangement in place I would prefer our club to honour it.

Imagine if Barca/Real Madrid do this sort of thing if they eventually sign Mane. We'd be missing out on a bit. Although I concede that's a poor example because English clubs aren't known for willingly giving up money.

Think the Huddersfield Examiner link should become a 'sticky' for the majority of us who have very little idea how much it costs a club to bring in players and assume a £70m reported sale provides the net amount available to spend

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/dusan-tadic-leaving-southampton-for-dream-club-ajax-was-easy-decision-a3874586.html

Dusan Tadic has revealed it was an easy decision to leave Southampton for 'dream' club Ajax because he had nothing left to prove in the Premier League.

Tadic, who played as Serbia lost 2-0 to Brazil in Moscow on Wednesday to exit the World Cup, has signed a four-year contract with the Dutch club for an initial £10million, which could rise to £11.4m

He spent four years at St. Mary's, scoring 23 goals in 162 appearances for the club.

The winger said: "I'm very happy because Ajax is one of the biggest clubs in Holland and the world. It was always my dream to be at Ajax. It was an easy decision because I had a lot of opportunities in the Premier League and other countries but I think Ajax is best for my future.

"I did good in the Premier League. In four years, I was for three [of them] in the top five best assisters in the Premier League and probably in the top ten of creating chances. I'm very proud because Southampton is not the biggest club in the Premier League and the Premier League is the toughest league in the world.

"I showed I can play there at high level. I had beautiful years with Southampton - great club, great people, great supporters - and I'm very proud of my four years."

Tadic said he was leaving Saints with the blessing of manager Mark Hughes, who guided them to Premier League safety after replacing Mauricio Pellegrino in March.

"I'm sure that Mark Hughes, with his assistants Eddie [Niedzwiecki] and Mark [bowen], will do great for Southampton. I wish they had come before," Tadic said.

"It was a pleasure to work with them. They will do a great job without me and I felt it was a moment for me to leave. We [me and Hughes] had a message today. I'm pleased to work with him and his assistants, they're great people, great coaches. They're best possible choice for Southampton. All people in Southampton should be happy to have them at the club.

"I'll miss supporters. And you're very good journalists," joked Tadic. "Very honest! It was nice to work with everyone and I was very pleased with everything. What can I say? The Premier League is the best league in the world and you [the English media] should be proud of the standards.

"What will I not miss? The weather! No, seriously, There's nothing I won't miss. I really enjoyed football. It was a pleasure every day, every moment. Everything was nice."

Nice bloke and a good footballer. Can't blame him for going to Ajax, I would, more chance of Champions League football and trophies.

Just goes to show that even if the club doesn't necessarily want to sell a player, he can still leave on good terms without acting like an absolute helmet.

"I'm sure that Mark Hughes, with his assistants Eddie [Niedzwiecki] and Mark [bowen], will do great for Southampton. I wish they had come before," Tadic said.

Nice to hear more positivity about the new boss.

Nice to hear more positivity about the new boss.

Infers that the outcome could have been different had that happened.

Just goes to show that even if the club doesn't necessarily want to sell a player, he can still leave on good terms without acting like an absolute helmet.

Indeed.

I actually find that a little distasteful if true. Sure it's not my money in any sense, and why should I care about Twente. But if there was an arrangement in place I would prefer our club to honour it.

Imagine if Barca/Real Madrid do this sort of thing if they eventually sign Mane. We'd be missing out on a bit. Although I concede that's a poor example because English clubs aren't known for willingly giving up money.

There is a lot of history between all acting parties and FC Twente gets what it deserves. Tadic and his agents sued Twente in the past because they believed that they would get 30% of the transfer fee when he was sold to Soton and a court later ruled that it was only 15%. Twente also have a history of scamming Eredivisie clubs and are the most hated club in The Netherlands at the moment (and that's special because it has always been Ajax by a long margin). Now that they've been relegated every Dutch fan hopes they will go down with financial trouble and seize to exist.

There is a lot of history between all acting parties and FC Twente gets what it deserves. Tadic and his agents sued Twente in the past because they believed that they would get 30% of the transfer fee when he was sold to Soton and a court later ruled that it was only 15%. Twente also have a history of scamming Eredivisie clubs and are the most hated club in The Netherlands at the moment (and that's special because it has always been Ajax by a long margin). Now that they've been relegated every Dutch fan hopes they will go down with financial trouble and seize to exist.

Ze hoeven van mij niet helemaal kapot te gaan, een jaartje of 10 in de Jupiler League is voldoende... ;)

Count me in as one of the fans who thinks we will miss him badly. Fans have been a bit fickle of late which may have persuaded him to call time here. Choosing to live in Amsterdam rather than Southampton must have been a tough choice also for him. I'll certainly pop along and watch him when over there in the autumn.

Thanks for the kind words Dusan, we've certainly enjoyed your stay here. Au Revoir!

So they're like the Skates? Do they have the most passionate, most amazing, most best fans?

Count me in as one of the fans who thinks we will miss him badly. Fans have been a bit fickle of late which may have persuaded him to call time here. Choosing to live in Amsterdam rather than Southampton must have been a tough choice also for him. I'll certainly pop along and watch him when over there in the autumn.

Thanks for the kind words Dusan, we've certainly enjoyed your stay here. Au Revoir!

I think you mean tot ziens.