Dusan Tadic to Ajax - Undisclosed (£10M)

Feyenoord1908

I think the concern we all have is that we already have glaring holes in this area of the pitch (and others). If we start by selling ANOTHER attacking player in a position we already need work on, then we've taken another step back before there are any concrete links for players in.

Waiting for the Bertrand rumours to start soon...

We could be getting Ziyech in the other direction, no one really knows, these rumours are often misleading and very often flat out wrong.

Off loading Tadic could free up wages to buy an upgrade that will improve us, maybe he wants guarantees of being first choice, maybe he wants to leave etc. we don't really know.

Had this rumour come in January I doubt many people would have been that fussed.

We could be getting Ziyech in the other direction, no one really knows, these rumours are often misleading and very often flat out wrong.

Off loading Tadic could free up wages to buy an upgrade that will improve us, maybe he wants guarantees of being first choice, maybe he wants to leave etc. we don't really know.

Had this rumour come in January I doubt many people would have been that fussed.

Was just coming to post this.

If we dont and they get Tadic and Ziyech stays I am deffo going to the first game of the season here or the pre-season friendlies to watch

But I expect him to go to based on rumours, Roma (replace nagigolan), Liverpool (coould be used to drive the Fekir price down)

#ziyechwatch

Edited by Convict Colony

As long as we are getting rid of Boufal and Redmond as well, and replacing all three with 2 proper creative AMs then I don't see an issue. These three were the major cause of our appalling season and apart from 8 games at the end by Tadic none provided anything to the team. Credit Tadic with being very influential in the last quarter under Hughes, but he has been getting worse each season since his first under Koeman and really will not be upset if he goes, especially if someone is mad enough to pay 15m whatevers for him. Bottom line is getting good replacements though, players who can create, play for the team and don't consistently give the ball away in dangerous areas/at dangerous times (all reative midfielders give the ball away, its part of being creative, its when and where that is the problem).

As much as I admire the optimism there, it's far more likley that Josh Sims and Jake Hesketh become the Tadic replacement!

We shouldn't really need to offload anyone to 'free up' any finances though. We've still got VVD burning in our back pocket, plus all the accociated PL monies. Only rank mismanagement will mean that we have to sell before we can improve this summer.

As much as I admire the optimism there, it's far more likley that Josh Sims and Jake Hesketh become the Tadic replacement!

We shouldn't really need to offload anyone to 'free up' any finances though. We've still got VVD burning in our back pocket, plus all the accociated PL monies. Only rank mismanagement will mean that we have to sell before we can improve this summer.

Exactly this...

We should be trying to slim the squad down in the more bloated areas and getting rid of the players who are not going to be good enough next year - there are enough. and focus on bringing in quality and keeping our best players. Tadic is probably our best player, he should not be going anywhere unless it's for ridiculous money.

Cédric Soares

Maya Yoshida

Jordy Clasie

Jack Stephens

Wesley Hoedt

Shane Long

Steven Davis

Guido Carrillo

Charlie Austin

Dušan Tadić

Alex McCarthy

Oriol Romeu

James Ward-Prowse

Mario Lemina

Sofiane Boufal

Manolo Gabbiadini

Ryan Bertrand

Nathan Redmond

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

Sam Gallagher

Stuart Taylor

Alfie Jones

Matt Targett

Jake Flannigan

Jan Bednarek

Sam McQueen

Josh Sims

Jake Hesketh

Yan Valery

Fraser Forster

Harrison Reed

I don't think we are selling in order to create money to afford to buy players more that we need to watch the wage bill. Perhaps we can't keep adding more players on big wages to the wage bill indefinitely without off loading some as well?

I don't think we are selling in order to create money to afford to buy players more that we need to watch the wage bill. Perhaps we can't keep adding more players on big wages to the wage bill indefinitely without off loading some as well?

The club should have thought about that when they offered Forster a new 5 year contract a year after he'd signed a new 5 year contract.

As i stated above, there are plenty they should be looking to let go which would reduce the wage bill before you get to Tadic.

Anyway, if Tadic is worth significantly more than his release clause then there will be other bids for him which will drive up the price. Release clauses establish minimum price tags not maxium, don't they?

That's the way that I see it as well. Hopefully more than a few clubs would be interested in bidding, which will only be the best of a pretty crappy situation if it is true that he is leaving

EDIT: I do wish I'd read the more knowledgeable posters on this thread before I replied to you...! :blush:

Edited by Micky

That's the way that I see it as well. Hopefully more than a few clubs would be interested in bidding, which will only be the best of a pretty crappy situation if it is true that he is leaving

A release clause means we have to accept all offers of £15m, regardless of whether there is a higher offer. That's why I can't see this being true, it would be madness to put a £15m release clause on Tadic.

The club should have thought about that when they offered Forster a new 5 year contract a year after he'd signed a new 5 year contract.

A couple of years back when they gave a load of players nice new contracts and started increasing the contracts from 4 to 5 or 6 year contracts the vibe on here was generally positive (most likely fueled by the Clyne and Victor situations).

It looked like the club was trying to get away from selling or at the very least give us more power when we did sell. Of course the down side is it upped our wage bill and left us with a squad full of average players on high wages its going to take a while to sort that out I reckon.

As i stated above, there are plenty they should be looking to let go which would reduce the wage bill before you get to Tadic.

I don't disagree I've always been a fan of Tadic. I do think we have an issue with a bloated squad and wage bill though and like you said we need a good clear out. Problem is the ones we need to offload are unlikely to get better wages elsewhere if you can find anyone to pay money for them in the first place so are going to be hard to shift.

A release clause means we have to accept all offers of £15m, regardless of whether there is a higher offer. That's why I can't see this being true, it would be madness to put a £15m release clause on Tadic.

Thanks. Hopefully you are correct about the release clause as well.

A couple of years back when they gave a load of players nice new contracts and started increasing the contracts from 4 to 5 or 6 year contracts the vibe on here was generally positive (most likely fueled by the Clyne and Victor situations).

It looked like the club was trying to get away from selling or at the very least give us more power when we did sell. Of course the down side is it upped our wage bill and left us with a squad full of average players on high wages its going to take a while to sort that out I reckon.

And then our capitulation over Van Dijk showed it was pointless and a waste of money; compounded in the Forster case by the pkayer being sub-standard.

The whole reason Hughes signing took so long was he wanted reassurances we wouldn’t weaken the squad particularly after last seasons fiasco.

Hughes sees Saints as a great opportunity. If Tadic does go we will have a replacement lined up.

I cannot see anyway Hughes is going to get mugged off by Les.

Far too early to be bed wetting. I’m looking forward to next season.

Don't think the feeling here was to dole out new contracts left, right and centre - only to tie down our very best players, as Clyne and Wanyama were. Les and co. seem to have an inflated sense of the quality in the squad. Nobody here welcomed Forster's contract extensions and many raised an eyebrow over Stephens contract to name a few examples.

If there is a driver of wage inflation, its the constant churn in the squad: having to replace players on an annual basis means having to pay the going, inflationary rate for players in a way that clubs with less turnover are less exposed to.

Either way, our wage-to-revenue ratio is pretty much par for the course, so unlikely to be decisive on its own.

Edited by shurlock

The whole reason Hughes signing took so long was he wanted reassurances we wouldn’t weaken the squad particularly after last seasons fiasco.

Hughes sees Saints as a great opportunity. If Tadic does go we will have a replacement lined up.

manji, much better to let people believe what they want based on no facts, or just half the story.

And then our capitulation over Van Dijk showed it was pointless and a waste of money; compounded in the Forster case by the pkayer being sub-standard.

I felt it was the right thing to do at the time. It seems to work for some players such as Mahrez at LCFC, but obviously not for all. A new intangible to build into the black box - are you likely to honour a commitment to your contract or throw your toys out of the pram when Klopp calls?

£15m all up front, at least. Hence why Arsenal are paying more for Torreira than his £25m release clause; they're paying £30m over 3/4 years.

manji, much better to let people believe what they want based on no facts, or just half the story.

Pretty sure you posted very similar before the sales of VVD, Pelle, Fonte, Lallana, Wanyama,Mane, Clyne, Shaw, Lovren, Morgan, Lambert, Chambers, Cork???

According to De Telegraaf Southampton offered Tadic a new “fantastic” deal but he said no and then the Saints agreed to start negotiations.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/2198770/overmars-in-het-geheim-naar-zwitserland

Interesting - thanks.

Is it true that there's a release clause?

Anyway, doesn't surprise me - its been a frustrating couple of seasons for him, never mind the sense of drift at the club atm.

I felt it was the right thing to do at the time. It seems to work for some players such as Mahrez at LCFC, but obviously not for all. A new intangible to build into the black box - are you likely to honour a commitment to your contract or throw your toys out of the pram when Klopp calls?

The VVD situation was a typical management committee decision, which compromised to find the middle ground for everyone but ended up satisfying nobody. Either keep him and tell him to get his head down for another season or sell him and have done with it. Dragging it out until January merely ensured we had an unhappy Virgil in the dressing room for 6 months and no suitable alternatives in January when the market is quieter and more expensive.

It was the same with Carrillo. Either sack MoPe (obviously the right decision) or back him. Signing Carrillo, then sacking the only bloke who actually wanted him six weeks later was just daft.

Agreed.

Here's hoping...

15mi for a 29yr old who wants to leave.

Reading the Ajax forum 50% of them think its crazy to spend that much on a 29yr old so its interesting how the sides differ depending who you are.

To be honest he knows the Eredevise they are going to be playing in the Europa league or champions league depending on the season most years

The question for me is why does Tadic , apparently, want to go to Ajax?

In one sense they're a massive club, but I doubt they have the financial clout to pay premier league wages, and if saints supposedly offered him a good new deal, money can't be it.

does he not like Hughes?

does he want to play in Europe ? ( though Ajax never get far nowadays)

does he want his kids to go up in Europe rather than post Brexit UK?

does he particularly like Holland?

?

Perfectly true. Tadic is a frustrating player who can go from sublime skill to invisible, often in the same match.

Credit where it's due though he stepped up when it was needed, and in a manner I wouldn't have expected of him for the last 8 or so games. Had hoped Mark Hughes had manged to 'unlock' him and motivate him. I'd like to keep the Tadic of the last few matches, but not the one who coasted for much of the previous 18months.

Trouble is, we'll have plenty of replacements "lined up", but getting them to sign is a different matter altogether.

The question for me is why does Tadic , apparently, want to go to Ajax?

In one sense they're a massive club, but I doubt they have the financial clout to pay premier league wages, and if saints supposedly offered him a good new deal, money can't be it.

does he not like Hughes?

does he want to play in Europe ? ( though Ajax never get far nowadays)

does he want his kids to go up in Europe rather than post Brexit UK?

does he particularly like Holland?

?

He does like Hughes as he said on multiple occasions when interviewed that Southampton need to keep him as manager - though notably he didn’t refer to ‘we’.

Les will chalk this one up as another lifestyle choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble is, we'll have plenty of replacements "lined up", but getting them to sign is a different matter altogether.

More important is that the replacement is a success. Our recruitment has been shocking over the past two seasons and AM is a notoriously difficult position to fill. If Tadic leaves -and he's been our most creative player bar his many frustrations, it just leaves Redmond and Boufal who've both disappointed, unless you're expecting Sims to step up which is a big assumption.

AM is already an Achilles Heel and is an area we need to be strengthening, not simply finding replacements who may or may not be good enough.

Edited by shurlock

According to De Telegraaf Southampton offered Tadic a new “fantastic” deal but he said no and then the Saints agreed to start negotiations.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/2198770/overmars-in-het-geheim-naar-zwitserland

Which suggests he wants to leave.

£15 million for a 29 year old, that wants to leave and has been (IMO) average at best for the last two years is a solid deal.

However, as far as I can tell the whole article seems to be based on Ajax's directors having being spotted coming back on a flight from Southampton. So based on that it could have been about anything.

Could be another player, could be them selling to us, could be some sort of link between Ajax and Southampton, who knows.

Looking at it from his perspective I can see why he might want to leave. He's slogged it out here for 4 seasons, the last two have been fairly poor, no move to a bigger club looks on the cards. Ajax are huge club, he'll more likely win some stuff, his weekly day job will be fairly easy as they win most games against poor opposition but he'll get highlights of playing in Europe and Amsterdam is a nice place to live.

Edited by tajjuk

The article says its a release clause in his deal, so basically the club have no choice and Tadic would prefer to leave for Ajax, which is actually a damning incitement of what he thinks is going on at Saints right now.

£15m is cheap but that's the release clause the club put in his contract. Tadic leaving is a loss but its not the end of the world - that will come when we see who the club sign to replace him. Our transfer record for the past two seasons has been **** poor.

Watched him in the first World Cup game and he was excellent. Seemed like a different player. Either one who knows he's off or knew he had to perform to be off. Shame really. He has been very frustrating at times this season and has missed some howlers, prevaricated in front of goal etc, but that form in the WC and the way he ended the season for us shows he could be a real asset. So of course the lemons at the club want to sell. Pretty stupid, to be honest.

More important is that the replacement is a success. Our recruitment has been shocking over the past two seasons and AM is a notoriously difficult position to fill. If Tadic leaves -and he's been our most creative player bar his many frustrations, it just leaves Redmond and Boufal who've both disappointed, unless you're expecting Sims to step up which is a big assumption.

AM is already an Achilles Heel and is an area we need to be strengthening, not simply finding replacements who may or may not be good enough.

Exactly plus couple that with the fact that Boufal seems highly likely to go based on the fallout from last season - it leaves us in a worrying position. Bad enough that we struggled to make and score goals last season, if we don't have somebody that can make the assists then we are in a dire position. #notalotofgoalsagain

The article says its a release clause in his deal' date=' so basically the club have no choice and Tadic would prefer to leave for Ajax, which is actually a damning incitement of what he thinks is going on at Saints right now.[/quote']

Why is it a damning indictment of what is going on at Saints? Maybe he is wanting a change of scenery and has had enough of living in southern England. I lived and worked abroad for a number of years, and could have extended it, but I wanted a change of scenery so moved. Maybe he prefers to play in a league where his somewhat languid style is going to make him look a superstar.