Gao's business in trouble?

Nordic Saint

Most of Gao's money is tied up in Lander Sports Development, of which he is the founder and majority shareholder. Their share price seems to be falling fast and he is beginning to sell some of his shares to raise capital. I don't know how much trouble they are in but their share price is less than half what it was 12 months ago, which essentially means he is worth less than half what he was last year. But, worse still, from a high of 21.33 yuan in 2015, Lander Sports Development's shares are now worth just 3.72 yuan, and their price is still plummeting. It went down another 7.46% today.

I don't claim to know much about finance but it looks to me as though he is in real trouble.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/000558:CH

Most of Gao's money is tied up in Lander Sports Development, of which he is the founder and majority shareholder. Their share price seems to be falling fast and he is beginning to sell some of his shares to raise capital. I don't know how much trouble they are in but their share price is less than half what it was 12 months ago, which essentially means he is worth less than half what he was last year. But, worse still, from a high of 21.33 yuan in 2015, Lander Sports Development's shares are now worth just 3.72 yuan, and their price is still plummeting. It went down another 7.46% today.

I don't claim to know much about finance but it looks to me as though he is in real trouble.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/000558:CH

The good news keeps coming.

The whole Chinese stock market has been tanking of late, so it’s not just Lander.

In part it’s due to the fear of a trade war with the US but there’s also a domestic story. There’s been a surge in corporate defaults which is making everyone nervous: if bondholders are getting f**ked, what can shareholders who are lower down the food chain expect.

I’m sure Mr Barclays aka Glasgow can tell us what proportion of Lander’s performance is due to idiosyncratic or company-specific risk, though.

Edited by shurlock

Has there been anything positive about this guy since he took over?

He would fail a FPP test of he tried to purchase a club now yet most people have their heads in the sand.

Nope. Most people think he's clueless and hasn't got a pot to p*ss in.

“we have the passion and motivation to build on Southampton’s excellent progress in recent years as we look forward to an exciting next chapter for the club.”

Is that it?! Couldn’t get any more vague if he tried. We know nothing of his intentions.

Didn't want them here before, don't want them here now. They are trying to make money out of the club. They have no interest in splashing the cash we will need to push back up the table.

We've seen so many good players leave without adequate replacement and soon, we will go down.

If that happens then we are in big **** as we have an owner who won't be able to sell as he bought us with debt and the clubs value will plummet if we go down.

We could quite easily end up in administration in a few years in the championship if these clowns don't start pumping some money back into the squad.

Didn't want them here before, don't want them here now. They are trying to make money out of the club. They have no interest in splashing the cash we will need to push back up the table.

We've seen so many good players leave without adequate replacement and soon, we will go down.

If that happens then we are in big **** as we have an owner who won't be able to sell as he bought us with debt and the clubs value will plummet if we go down.

We could quite easily end up in administration in a few years in the championship if these clowns don't start pumping some money back into the squad.

Perhaps when Saints drop well down the Leagues they could end up having to ground sharing with Portsmouth. :(

;)

end of the day we're just a passive bunch of c*nts who've accepted all this ******** and let them get away with it.

Even now you have "fans" that just blindly defend everything the club does

Whilst you do what?

Heisenberg - Totally agree (don't care whether you have been or not to be honest, not sure of the relevence) Pathetic bunch of fans.

Classic prawn sandwich brigade. Wimps

I've been to my share of games - season ticket holders for 12 years before moving to Glasgow. Been to plenty of aways and Milan since living here.

Pay for my membership each year and have purchased matchday tickets, merchandise and replica shirts aplenty (for the younger generation in my family) I do my bit financially

Our fans have always been a bit weak. You see them on here desperately trying to defend every action and error the club makes. It's sad.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser. SFC just now has plenty of losers (inside and outside of club)

Club is a mess and fans have stood back and watched it unfold.

I've been to my share of games - season ticket holders for 12 years before moving to Glasgow. Been to plenty of aways and Milan since living here.

Pay for my membership each year and have purchased matchday tickets, merchandise and replica shirts aplenty (for the younger generation in my family) I do my bit financially

Our fans have always been a bit weak. You see them on here desperately trying to defend every action and error the club makes. It's sad.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser. SFC just now has plenty of losers

All very noble. Well done. But what do you want the fans to do, and why don't you go and do it yourself instead of calling everybody else a cv nt for not doing whatever it is you want them to do?

They don't know what you want them to do - get yourself down to St Marys and show everybody.

I don't get all the moaning about fellow Saints fans. What are we supposed to do? Fans are powerless much as we like to think that we aren't. In the past boycotts could work as such a high percentage of the clubs revenue was from gate money. Not now because of TV. Clubs have become rich man's playthings and the FA checks on owners are inadequate. United didn't manage to get rid the Glazers despite all their best efforts. Newcastle are still stuck with Ashley. Blackpool had massive fan boycotts and Oyston ended up in high court and lost, but it is now his daughter who is chairperson.

We got lucky with Marcus Leibherr as he wanted to run the club for his enjoyment - plus he bought us for a relatively small amount of money. Current owner is going to take his money out of the club - hopefully at a sensible rate (and he won't put any in), but seems to generally leave the running of the club alone. Hopefully that will continue, but if his finances go bad then he will treat Saints as his personal piggy bank and things could get messy.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser. SFC just now has plenty of losers (inside and outside of club)

There is definitely a point in here. Listening to the usually mild-mannered Adam Leitch on the last Total Saints Podcast of the season, he was surprised that our fans didn’t make clear our discontentment during the Man City game after survival was virtually secured. The fear being that the board think they’ve gotten away with it.

There are a lot of things to be angry about as a Saints fan at the moment, but the anger isn’t organised into anything coherent, it just flares up on occasion on boards like these or on twitter.It’s so easy for the board to either ignore or swat away.

I don’t advocate the violent protests of the West Ham fans last season for one minute, but looking at how the way they have overhauled their recruitment system and brought in a proven top class manager, it does demonstrate the effect that sustained and organised fan pressure can have on the owners of a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is definitely a point in here. Listening to the usually mild-mannered Adam Leitch on the last Total Saints Podcast of the season, he was surprised that our fans didn’t make clear our discontentment during the Man City game after survival was virtually secured. The fear being that the board think they’ve gotten away with it.

There are a lot of things to be angry about as a Saints fan at the moment, but the anger isn’t organised into anything coherent, it just flares up on occasion on boards like these or on twitter.It’s so easy for the board to either ignore or swat away.

I don’t advocate the violent protests of the West Ham fans last season for one minute, but looking at how the way they have overhauled their recruitment system and brought in a proven top class manager, it does demonstrate the effect that sustained and organised fan pressure can have on the owners of a club.

Fans are too busy posting sh1te on the internet.

Tbh if people are going to get stirred into action I’d prefer people to mobilise about more important causes than us not winning as many games as we used to and buying a few duds in the transfer market, Get a grip.

Also Glasgow is a stirring little cu nt and has always been -same even when we were riding high but still amazes me how many engage with him as if there is any sincere beliefs there.

I have to say that I fall in with whelk on this (that is if I understand things correctly). I do not subscribe to Shankly's "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." It isn't.

If the club think that they got away with it, then the one true measure as to whether they have or not, provided that we are not relegated, are attendances. You get fools like me who renew their ST somewhat blindly, so that can distort the dissatisfaction. If the club read this, then I can assure them that I have not renewed because of the scintillating football on offer. There were 2 reasons....1) my lad likes it, and I think it unfair to burst that passion so early on in his life, not least as SFC are sure to do that later on in his life, and 2) it is mainly so I can escape my wife for a while.

Football is just football, it is not 'life and death' at all.

If Southampton FC did not exist tomorrow we'd all just get on with our lives. Some people would have lost their jobs, that would be the saddest part but I'd still watch, play and generally enjoy the sport.

Shares go up and down, people speculating and scare mongering have no more information than any of us. If the club is in trouble it's in trouble (though I struggle to see how any PL club can get into much trouble these days with the money being thrown around) but there are not much signs of it from what I can see. We apparently agreed terms last week to break our record transfer and yet here we are in the middle of June and people are predicting relegation and bankruptcy, it's laughable.

People need to chill, it's June, the World Cup is on, the sun is out, Southampton FC are still here and seem to be doing fine, go out and enjoy life.

Fret and protest etc. when there are actual problems not imagined or speculated ones. Some clubs have foreign owners tearing their clubs apart trying to change everything, here we are with one that basically has kept the status quo and people are losing their sh*t.

Surely Gao's business and his personal wealth are two entirely different things? He has his own money that he's made from the business, and then there is the current value of that business. So the current value of the business has dropped (for now, these things go up and down) but that doesn't mean he's lost all his own money.

Secondly yes we had a bad season but to say the club is a total mess in nonsense. We have been in far worse shape than this. Only last week we bid 22 million quid for a player and hopefully will sign Gibson for a similar fee. I remember when Rory Delap was our record signing for years at 4 million. For god's sake I remember when Jermaine Wright played for us!!

Last season was not great but I think some people need to keep a sense of perspective.

Fans are too busy posting sh1te on the internet.

Tbh if people are going to get stirred into action I’d prefer people to mobilise about more important causes than us not winning as many games as we used to and buying a few duds in the transfer market, Get a grip.

Also Glasgow is a stirring little cu nt and has always been -same even when we were riding high but still amazes me how many engage with him as if there is any sincere beliefs there.

And he's still perpetuating the lies about going to Milan.

Surely Gao's business and his personal wealth are two entirely different things? He has his own money that he's made from the business, and then there is the current value of that business. So the current value of the business has dropped (for now, these things go up and down) but that doesn't mean he's lost all his own money.

Secondly yes we had a bad season but to say the club is a total mess in nonsense. We have been in far worse shape than this. Only last week we bid 22 million quid for a player and hopefully will sign Gibson for a similar fee. I remember when Rory Delap was our record signing for years at 4 million. For god's sake I remember when Jermaine Wright played for us!!

Last season was not great but I think some people need to keep a sense of perspective.

I don't think he has any money, which is why he had to borrow the money to buy the club. I can't find him on this Forbes list. The Wolves owner is 16th with $10B and his company is prospering but where is Gao Jisheng?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2017/11/15/chinas-richest-2017-the-full-list-of-400-billionaires/#417f0f1a296b

Right tell me then - what's the plan?

I don't think he has any money, which is why he had to borrow the money to buy the club. I can't find him on this Forbes list. The Wolves owner is 16th with $10B and his company is prospering but where is Gao Jisheng?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2017/11/15/chinas-richest-2017-the-full-list-of-400-billionaires/#417f0f1a296b

The Forbes China Rich List is effectively calculated by taking the public value of a company like Lander, based on its market cap and dividing it by the ownership stake held by said individual.

Edited by shurlock

But I like prawn sandwiches. Yum.

You often get accused of being a wind up on here but i can't disagree with a word of that. It's a sad state of affairs because our support wasn't always this way, the branfoot protests and protests against Lowe prove that, but in recent years there's been a huge influx of the kind of people that are customers not fans, lots of nicely, nicely types who re-tweet club PR and marketing and copy childish things like "the high press" or "we march on".

It'd be great to see some b*llocks back to our support again but i sadly think that time has passed, the young lads are priced out and the middle class women and families have taken over.

There's nothing wrong with them being there by the way (as i'm sure some people will jump all over that part) but our support, especially at home, has changed and there's very little backbone to it now.

You often get accused of being a wind up on here but i can't disagree with a word of that. It's a sad state of affairs because our support wasn't always this way, the branfoot protests and protests against Lowe prove that, but in recent years there's been a huge influx of the kind of people that are customers not fans, lots of nicely, nicely types who re-tweet club PR and marketing and copy childish things like "the high press" or "we march on".

It'd be great to see some b*llocks back to our support again but i sadly think that time has passed, the young lads are priced out and the middle class women and families have taken over.

There's nothing wrong with them being there by the way (as i'm sure some people will jump all over that part) but our support, especially at home, has changed and there's very little backbone to it now.

And what crisis are we protesting about? Dodgy managerial appointments? Lack of goal threat? Chinese ownership - we want a white English fella ideally?

Or do you just want the 80s back when it was mainly lads?

And what crisis are we protesting about? Dodgy managerial appointments? Lack of goal threat? Chinese ownership - we want a white English fella ideally?

Or do you just want the 80s back when it was mainly lads?

I've been hugely sceptical and worried about Gao's ownership from the start, fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you see it) i've seen behind the curtain of what's going on and have said many times i don't think it's good for the club in the slightest.

Personally the point we should've protested (in my opinion) was the point at which he failed the first FPP test and then went to get it overturned, obvious or not to most at the point about his credentials the idea of someone with links to people being killed for dissidence isn't someone we should ever want around our club, surely you can agree on that?

What a joke some of these responses are. Most of the stadium have a season ticket, recognise that football isn’t their entire life and support Saints through thick and thin, owners, players, managers both good and bad. Now these supporters are prawn sandwich eating Premier League sell outs according to some of the resident ‘lads’.

Why would anyone think a few Premier League relegation battles calls protests? I must be one of those happy clapper blokes I guess. People have short memories.

Also, how is it possibly the fans fault we’re owned by a Chinaman without a pot to pi** in?!