Stuart Armstrong

Kingsland Red

Never seen him play*, but all the video tells me is he can score goals in 10 yards of space against bad defences. Still, cheap at current prices and lets hope that's due to his contract situation not his ability. Judgement reserved for now.

*probably have actually seen the odd Celtic game but not that I noticed him...

Bargain of the summer! All you cocks slating him off before he has even kicked a ball ....unbelievable !

I seem to recall a similar comment after I suggested Pulis was ****e (before he'd kicked a ball). It is possible to make an assessment on a player based on seeing them for another team. I haven't seen Armstrong much, so I am not going to venture an opinion, but I was always under the impression than Tierney was THE guy we should be signing from Celtic. What has happened to us creaming off the talent from the second tier European leagues? Hope he proves to be a decent replacement for Davies, who has been a terrific signing for us.

What has happened to us creaming off the talent from the second tier European leagues?

What's happened to it is everyone having a pile more money than they had 4 years ago, Saints still being in the same recruitment space for the same kind of players but others waving more cash around.

What's happened to it is everyone having a pile more money than they had 4 years ago, Saints still being in the same recruitment space for the same kind of players but others waving more cash around.

weren't their richer clubs than us when we signed VVD?

weren't their richer clubs than us when we signed VVD?

I think his point is that the price of the 'current' VVD's or Wanyama's have risen, and we're not prepared to rise with the costs - so we're still floating around in the same price bracket - 5-15m, which won't get us players as good.

Fans on here are bat **** mental

Saints miss out on signing an ACTUAL CHAMPIONSHIP player for 24 million and some posters go into melt down, we then go for Armstrong and and the same people THEN COMPLAINS he's Championship level???

So by their mental standards we're getting a CHAMPIONSHIP player for 17 million cheaper than we were last week and those posters are complaining about it.

Give the lad a chance FFS.

Saints miss out on signing an ACTUAL CHAMPIONSHIP player for 24 million and some posters go into melt down, we then go for Armstrong and and the same people THEN COMPLAINS he's Championship level???

So by their mental standards we're getting a CHAMPIONSHIP player for 17 million cheaper than we were last week and those posters are complaining about it.

Its called ignorance. Obviously people on here are more aware of Maddison and the championship than Armstrong and the scottish league. Hes a very good player and 7million is a snip

weren't there richer clubs than us when we signed VVD?

Yes, but they were looking for Premier League proven players consistently playing at a top 6 level, and accepted they'd be paying the premium we add to the player's value having proven his ability in the Premier League.

Its called ignorance. Obviously people on here are more aware of Maddison and the championship than Armstrong and the scottish league. Hes a very good player and 7million is a snip

Posters on here have never heard or followed him. See the transfer fee and assume that the player is average.

Fickle fickle fans.

This place is boringly predictable these days. I bet this thread is identical to the ‘Bertrand signs’ thread four years ago.

‘Terrible signing!’

‘Championship standard!’

‘Reed out!’

....and we all know how that one turned out.

Posters on here have never heard or followed him. See the transfer fee and assume that the player is average.

Fickle fickle fans.

Luckily this place only represents a small section of the fan base.

Wish this lad well. And if he plays with passion for the badge - and actually wants to be here - then I am all for him here.

I think his point is that the price of the 'current' VVD's or Wanyama's have risen, and we're not prepared to rise with the costs - so we're still floating around in the same price bracket - 5-15m, which won't get us players as good.

I'm saying that we're probably getting outbid on wages, rather than transfer fees, but we're competing for players with other Prem clubs who previously weren't looking where we were looking.

We pretty much had a policy of buying our blooding mostly unproven (in the Premier League) under 25s that we expected to be able to sell at a profit. More to the point most of our recruitment was based on selling ourselves as a proving ground and a stepping stone, including the academy recruitment.

For a while everyone else not part of the big 6 was buying seasoned top division pros and internationals from obscure countries rather than development players, now I'm pretty sure the others are all after the same players as us, and we choose not to get into wage wars to keep our model as sustainable as possible.

Also factor in the uncertainty about our ownership and management last summer and a first season in three without European football and a lower league position than the season before for the first time in 8 or so years, and that can't have helped either. And then there's Maddison, who it appears just wanted to live near where he grew up.

I don't mind us finding value, I just want us to make sure we're not missing opportunities "for want of a nail", as it were.

This place is boringly predictable these days. I bet this thread is identical to the ‘Bertrand signs’ thread four years ago.

‘Terrible signing!’

‘Championship standard!’

‘Reed out!’

....and we all know how that one turned out.

I will hold my hands up to thinking Bertrand was going to play his entire career at the soul-destroyingly poor level he played at for Villa on loan, and it took him two years of being great before he got back there last year. Not having anyone challenging for his position probably didn't help, and I hope he's over whatever the issue was (hopefully it was just Pellegrino).

Indeed, those questioning it are the same people who think Wilshere would be an amazing signing for us because he plays for a big team :lol: I think these people get most of their footballing knowledge off FIFA or something :lol:

Good signing we have been after him for a while. Saints fans are idiots we didn't sign Maddison a player who potentially could be out of depth at premiership level. 24 million? For that money you would at least go for somebody like Ziyech.....

Armstrong is a good player good bit of business keep it coming.

Indeed, those questioning it are the same people who think Wilshere would be an amazing signing for us because he plays for a big team :lol: I think these people get most of their footballing knowledge off FIFA or something :lol:

Whatever the merits of other players (Armstrong etc.) Wilshere is a quality proven PL player, who if fit would indeed be an amazing player for us. How anyone thinks he would not improve us is beyond me - but then that's just my take. On a free (yes sign on fee and wages etc.), against an untried newbie to PL for 24M in Maddison, it's a no brainer for me.

Missed out on him on a free last summer, but £7million isn’t a lot of money for a goal scoring midfielder. I don’t think he’d be Tadic’s replacement if Dusan leaves as they’re different types of player, more a Steven Davis replacement. If we still stand to lose Tadic and Boufal, we still need to bring in at least one more attacking midfield creator, if not two, with the second being more of a Promes type winger.

I hope Armstrong is over whatever injury he had last season - on the face of it this is a very smart transfer however we still need a few more - still papering over the cracks as it is.

I see him more as an upgrade/replacement for Steven Davis. The season before last he was very good. Last season he had a touch of VVD about him where he wanted to go, stayed, and as a result form dipped slightly along with a few injuries that took their toll.

£7m in today’s market is nothing and definitely worth a punt.

I see him more as an upgrade/replacement for Steven Davis. The season before last he was very good. Last season he had a touch of VVD about him where he wanted to go, stayed, and as a result form dipped slightly along with a few injuries that took their toll.

£7m in today’s market is nothing and definitely worth a punt.

100% this.

Absolute replacement for Davis who I think showed this season he was getting on a bit for this level with his fitness becoming more of an issue.

Wanted us to look at Armstrong last year so not unhappy we're doing so now.

None of which changes the fact we DO need to get at least one quality replacement for Tadic, plus another creative type.

Plus a CB or two, a decent CF, and resolve our fullback issues.

He’s decent on Fifa. At start of last season, Armstrong beast rating was 86, Maddison, 67. Armstrong had a quiet season but under mitigating circumstances. Maddison had a good season, but I think they are similar in quality. Think Armstrong could turn out the better of the two.

Whatever the merits of other players (Armstrong etc.) Wilshere is a quality proven PL player, who if fit would indeed be an amazing player for us. How anyone thinks he would not improve us is beyond me - but then that's just my take. On a free (yes sign on fee and wages etc.), against an untried newbie to PL for 24M in Maddison, it's a no brainer for me.

Avoid Jack Wheelchair at all costs, all he has proved is his wages are a waste of money and he is not up to it any more, it took Southgate and Wenger a long time to decide but took Emery less than a day. Beware this lazy crock

He’s decent on Fifa. At start of last season, Armstrong beast rating was 86, Maddison, 67. Armstrong had a quiet season but under mitigating circumstances. Maddison had a good season, but I think they are similar in quality. Think Armstrong could turn out the better of the two.

FIFA's Beast Ratings? Please child behave.

One of the reasons that some are less excited about this is possibly the fact we have been linked with him for a couple of seasons now. Looking on a Celtic forum last night and the first rumour they had of a bid from us was May 2015 !.

When his name appeared on here previously I recall the general concensus was that he looked good, and a midfielder who could shoot, especially from outside the penalty area.

I'd be quite pleased if this went through especially for £7m.

I've not seen anyone write him off. Just posters posting about posters posting it.

For those waiting for him to kick a ball..... Some good news he has!! and more good news.... you are allowed to evaluate his potential here based on how he kicked a ball elsewhere.

Celtic fans seem to feel he's the 4-5th best midfielder at the club just now....so would be the equivalent of us selling Jordy Clasie to someone like Roma.

Don't confuse underwhelming with writing a player off.

I for the record (having seen him a few times) think he offers us something we don't have. That's a midfielder that will drive towards goal and take a shot from distance.

giphy.gif

Good luck to him if he signs up. £5m-£7m now feels like the old £500k-£750k signing - low risk but if it comes off' date=' it's a bargain. Like others, I see him as more challenging Davis than replacing Tadic. That is another job altogether!![/quote']

I know the point you're making but it's all a matter of perspective though, Osgood £225,000, Keegan £400,000 (twice European Player of The Year), David Armstrong £500,000.

To me the "safe" buys are the £60 - £80,000 equivalents ! (But we bought Alan Ball for £60,000 so that was a bargain).

I for the record (having seen him a few times) think he offers us something we don't have. That's a midfielder that will drive towards goal and take a shot from distance.

giphy.gif

Have just said much the same.

But as for the clip... Scottish goalkeepers mate ! Even Forster looked good up there.*

*only joking re the clip, even getting it on target with any power from >18yards would be an up grade on what we have.

Have just said much the same.

But as for the clip... Scottish goalkeepers mate ! Even Forster looked good up there.*

*only joking re the clip, even getting it on target with any power from >18yards would be an up grade on what we have.

Yes don't get carried away with Scotland goal stats... Remember Wanyama was scoring 1 in 5 when playing here :lol:

Yeah but Maddison was lighting up the championship is young with plenty of potential and championship player of the year, whilst Armstrong was a bit part squad player for Celtic and is 26 with most Celtic fans thinking it's a great deal.

If you can't see which one is a more exciting signing I don't know what else to say