Stuart Armstrong

Kingsland Red

The wage bill in the last accounts highlights we must be paying a lot of players a lot more than £40k p/w.

Some of our youth academy products have been reportedly been on more than that.

it depends whoose son is your agent apparentley:D

Probably far too many words for the Northam to remember but a great song for him from Celtic. to the tune of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay

#Oh Hughse said: "We’ve got to play him in centre mid",

Oooooh words can’t describe,

When we see him in the red and white,

His hair is fine,

He scores belters all the time.

That’s why we'll sing this song,

For Stuart Armstrong!#

I'd forgotten the window closes 09/08. Thank goodness.

Is that every window or just this one because of the World Cup?

It will be every summer window from now on, in order to prevent situations like we had with van Dijk not playing during August.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Probably far too many words for the Northam to remember but a great song for him from Celtic. to the tune of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay

#Oh Hughse said: "We’ve got to play him in centre mid",

Oooooh words can’t describe,

When we see him in the red and white,

His hair is fine,

He scores belters all the time.

That’s why we'll sing this song,

For Stuart Armstrong!#

Top top song, I will chant this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoken to a Celtic fan myself, he does seem to divide opinion up there. He doesn't think he's very good and Rodgers apparently decided he wasn't good enough for European Competition which is why they're happy to sell.

One of Celtics worst players last year, apparently...''A poor man's Rogic''

As we all know from here, one fans opinion will differ wildly from another. Here’s a thought, if he signs let’s watch him play several times before we write him off as rubbish. I think the current going rate is 5 matches? ��

I'm going to give him just the first 20 mins of the Derby friendly. If he hasn't scored 2 goals then he's out.

He's a signing in the area of the park we're already well stocked. Who's off? There is no way a club of our size maintains the following in the first team squad:

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Clasie and Reed were already loaned out last season as we had too many, and now we're adding another.

He's a signing in the area of the park we're already well stocked. Who's off? There is no way a club of our size maintains the following in the first team squad:

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Clasie and Reed were already loaned out last season as we had too many, and now we're adding another.

My money would be on Clasie, Reed and Davis whose legs looked to be going last season.

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

2 or 3 will probably leave.

Armstrong one of the few who (in theory) can bang a goal in.

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

They don't all play the same way though do they? In theory Romeu is a proper holding defensive midfielder, Hoj, Clasie and Lemina and more mobile box to box types, Davies and Armstrong are more advanced link up type guys, JWP is a jack of all trades master of none type and Reed is apparently a better wingback than a holding midfielder.

I'd say its pretty clear Clasie, Reed and Davies are going to be the ones to make way as not up to it

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Really find it odd how people lump players together who really play very different roles, Romeu and Ward-Prowse for instance. The holding midfield and the attacking midfielders at least are two very different roles, OK so some players can play both, Davis for instance often was employed in the defensive midfield role (and struggled) whereas his best position is in the more advanced role, which is the roles that Armstrong is most suited. Anyway we all (I thought) know that Clasie is off, Reed has struggled to break through, the only way I can see him being a part of the plans for next season is if Hughes employs him as a backup for Cedric, as that is the position he did well at Norwich. Davis is probably not "off" but its pretty clear that he won't be around for much longer and is not reliable enough to play the whole season. I am also beginning to wonder whether JWP is going to be moved on, he has been much better in the last couple of seasons but really has not kicked on enough to hold down an automatic place, useful squad player but nothing more. Lemina is unreliable, Hojbjerg has not been convincing, played very well a couple of times but never really showed that consistently, and both he and Lemina have been "rumoured" to be unsettled. So that leaves Romeu, our best defensive/holding midfielder. So I can see quite easily our main middle three being Romeu, Lemina and Armstong, with Hojbjerg and Davis fghting for places. If we can keep those three anf keep them fit that would be a pretty good central unit in my opinion, with a couple of decent options as backup.

Just spoken to a Celtic fan myself, he does seem to divide opinion up there. He doesn't think he's very good and Rodgers apparently decided he wasn't good enough for European Competition which is why they're happy to sell.

One of Celtics worst players last year, apparently...''A poor man's Rogic''

Most say he would have only been 4th choice at Celtic next season, which is why they wanted to offload him. John Hartson says that he is overpiced at 7 million and that it is a good bit of business for Celtic to get that much for him.

Reed

Romeu

Clasie

Davis

Ward-Prowse

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

2 or 3 will probably leave.

Armstrong one of the few who (in theory) can bang a goal in.

two things to note in the official site article

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-06-26/announcement-stuart-armstrong-southampton-signing

1: nice watch

2: no mention of Reed

"Highly-rated". Is that by Les or Ross? Or the Football Manager spreadsheet nerd?

Good luck to him - I don't think much of the signing, but he's a Saint now and I hope he's a raging success.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Will be shocked if Lemina is not sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea who would be remotely interested in paying more than we paid for him last season. Therefore, not sold.

Weird that he's got this reputation of some wonder player who Liverpool or whoever are about to snap up when he couldn't hold a place down in the worst Southampton side for five years.

No idea who would be remotely interested in paying more than we paid for him last season. Therefore, not sold.

Weird that he's got this reputation of some wonder player who Liverpool or whoever are about to snap up when he couldn't hold a place down in the worst Southampton side for five years.

He'd need to maintain it for an entire season in order to get a big move, but it is clear he is a very good player. Strength on the ball, dribbling, ball control, tackling, passing all at a very good level.

He'd need to maintain it for an entire season in order to get a big move, but it is clear he is a very good player. Strength on the ball, dribbling, ball control, tackling, passing all at a very good level.
Not disputing that, and I think he has got that in him - but no way has he done enough to command the fee we'd need to sell him.

Really find it odd how people lump players together who really play very different roles, Romeu and Ward-Prowse for instance. The holding midfield and the attacking midfielders at least are two very different roles, OK so some players can play both, Davis for instance often was employed in the defensive midfield role (and struggled) whereas his best position is in the more advanced role, which is the roles that Armstrong is most suited. Anyway we all (I thought) know that Clasie is off, Reed has struggled to break through, the only way I can see him being a part of the plans for next season is if Hughes employs him as a backup for Cedric, as that is the position he did well at Norwich. Davis is probably not "off" but its pretty clear that he won't be around for much longer and is not reliable enough to play the whole season. I am also beginning to wonder whether JWP is going to be moved on, he has been much better in the last couple of seasons but really has not kicked on enough to hold down an automatic place, useful squad player but nothing more. Lemina is unreliable, Hojbjerg has not been convincing, played very well a couple of times but never really showed that consistently, and both he and Lemina have been "rumoured" to be unsettled. So that leaves Romeu, our best defensive/holding midfielder. So I can see quite easily our main middle three being Romeu, Lemina and Armstong, with Hojbjerg and Davis fghting for places. If we can keep those three anf keep them fit that would be a pretty good central unit in my opinion, with a couple of decent options as backup.

They absolutely all play different roles but they are all competing for 3 spaces in the team dependent on how we set-up, and its not sustainable for us in our current position to have 8 senior pros competing for those positions. It wasn't sustainable last season for us to have 7, so Clasie and Reed left, and now they are back and we've added to the group, so something has to give. Clasie and Reed seem obvious, but another must surely go. Davis has struggled but I can't see the club letting him leave.

They absolutely all play different roles but they are all competing for 3 spaces in the team dependent on how we set-up' date=' and its not sustainable for us in our current position to have 8 senior pros competing for those positions. It wasn't sustainable last season for us to have 7, so Clasie and Reed left, and now they are back and we've added to the group, so something has to give. Clasie and Reed seem obvious, but another must surely go. Davis has struggled but I can't see the club letting him leave.[/quote']

What if Mark Hughes is the new George Burley & he thinks we need another 3 central midfielders? ;)