Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    Apparently 4 year deal at £40k a week, ie double his weekly wedge at Celtic
    I doubt it is that small a wage. Pretty tiny in PL terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I doubt it is that small a wage. Pretty tiny in PL terms.
    which works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    which works for us.
    The wage bill in the last accounts highlights we must be paying a lot of players a lot more than £40k p/w.

Some of our youth academy products have been reportedly been on more than that.

The wage bill in the last accounts highlights we must be paying a lot of players a lot more than £40k p/w.

that is probably why we dont sign top drawer players for a mid table club

If this guy is half as good as a certain other Armstrong we had in the 80's then he'll do extremely well

it depends whoose son is your agent apparentley

Why don't we just sign Celtics scouting department lololol.

We've just put in a bid for their pitch loool, and their tea lady lololol

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

I'd forgotten the window closes 09/08. Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Is that every window or just this one because of the World Cup?

Probably far too many words for the Northam to remember but a great song for him from Celtic. to the tune of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay

#Oh Hughse said: "We’ve got to play him in centre mid",

Oooooh words can’t describe,
    When we see him in the red and white,

His hair is fine,
    He scores belters all the time.

That’s why we'll sing this song,
    For Stuart Armstrong!#

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    I think the EPL agreed this last year so that teams start the season knowing what their squads are.

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    It will be every summer window from now on, in order to prevent situations like we had with van Dijk not playing during August.
    Last edited by Matthew Le God; 26-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet View Post
    Probably far too many words for the Northam to remember but a great song for him from Celtic. to the tune of Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Enola Gay

#Oh Hughse said: "Weíve got to play him in centre mid",

Oooooh words canít describe,
    When we see him in the red and white,

His hair is fine,
    He scores belters all the time.

Thatís why we'll sing this song,
    For Stuart Armstrong!#
    Top top song, I will chant this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoken to a Celtic fan myself, he does seem to divide opinion up there. He doesn't think he's very good and Rodgers apparently decided he wasn't good enough for European Competition which is why they're happy to sell.

One of Celtics worst players last year, apparently...''A poor man's Rogic''

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

As we all know from here, one fans opinion will differ wildly from another. Here’s a thought, if he signs let’s watch him play several times before we write him off as rubbish. I think the current going rate is 5 matches? ��

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    As we all know from here, one fans opinion will differ wildly from another. Here’s a thought, if he signs let’s watch him play several times before we write him off as rubbish. I think the current going rate is 5 matches? ��
    I'm going to give him just the first 20 mins of the Derby friendly. If he hasn't scored 2 goals then he's out.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    I'm going to give him just the first 20 mins of the Derby friendly. If he hasn't scored 2 goals then he's out.
    Surely if he hasn't scored a couple in China beforehand he shouldn't even get a look in for the Derby game.

He's a signing in the area of the park we're already well stocked. Who's off? There is no way a club of our size maintains the following in the first team squad:

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

Clasie and Reed were already loaned out last season as we had too many, and now we're adding another.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallana's Left Peg View Post
    He's a signing in the area of the park we're already well stocked. Who's off? There is no way a club of our size maintains the following in the first team squad:

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

Clasie and Reed were already loaned out last season as we had too many, and now we're adding another.
    My money would be on Clasie, Reed and Davis whose legs looked to be going last season.

20. Default

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

2 or 3 will probably leave.

Armstrong one of the few who (in theory) can bang a goal in.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

They don't all play the same way though do they? In theory Romeu is a proper holding defensive midfielder, Hoj, Clasie and Lemina and more mobile box to box types, Davies and Armstrong are more advanced link up type guys, JWP is a jack of all trades master of none type and Reed is apparently a better wingback than a holding midfielder.

I'd say its pretty clear Clasie, Reed and Davies are going to be the ones to make way as not up to it

If Reed is a better wing back than midfielder, maybe he could take Pied's spot as Cedric's occasional backup?

Blog Entries

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

Really find it odd how people lump players together who really play very different roles, Romeu and Ward-Prowse for instance. The holding midfield and the attacking midfielders at least are two very different roles, OK so some players can play both, Davis for instance often was employed in the defensive midfield role (and struggled) whereas his best position is in the more advanced role, which is the roles that Armstrong is most suited. Anyway we all (I thought) know that Clasie is off, Reed has struggled to break through, the only way I can see him being a part of the plans for next season is if Hughes employs him as a backup for Cedric, as that is the position he did well at Norwich. Davis is probably not "off" but its pretty clear that he won't be around for much longer and is not reliable enough to play the whole season. I am also beginning to wonder whether JWP is going to be moved on, he has been much better in the last couple of seasons but really has not kicked on enough to hold down an automatic place, useful squad player but nothing more. Lemina is unreliable, Hojbjerg has not been convincing, played very well a couple of times but never really showed that consistently, and both he and Lemina have been "rumoured" to be unsettled. So that leaves Romeu, our best defensive/holding midfielder. So I can see quite easily our main middle three being Romeu, Lemina and Armstong, with Hojbjerg and Davis fghting for places. If we can keep those three anf keep them fit that would be a pretty good central unit in my opinion, with a couple of decent options as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Just spoken to a Celtic fan myself, he does seem to divide opinion up there. He doesn't think he's very good and Rodgers apparently decided he wasn't good enough for European Competition which is why they're happy to sell.

One of Celtics worst players last year, apparently...''A poor man's Rogic''
    Most say he would have only been 4th choice at Celtic next season, which is why they wanted to offload him. John Hartson says that he is overpiced at 7 million and that it is a good bit of business for Celtic to get that much for him.

25. Default

Reed
    Romeu
    Clasie
    Davis
    Ward-Prowse
    Lemina
    Hojbjerg
    Armstrong

It's official - 4 year deal.

two things to note in the official site article

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-...ampton-signing

1: nice watch
    2: no mention of Reed

Blog Entries

"Our research tells us..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post

Would be happy to see Clasie, Reed and Davis all move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    two things to note in the official site article

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-...ampton-signing

1: nice watch
    2: no mention of Reed
    "Highly-rated". Is that by Les or Ross? Or the Football Manager spreadsheet nerd?

Good luck to him - I don't think much of the signing, but he's a Saint now and I hope he's a raging success.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He likes the attractive football we play.....

Guess he gave us a wide berth for the last two years as they have been shyte in the style front

I think he will be a good signing. Good stuff

Excellent signing. Hoping he can repeat the season of 16/17 when he hit 17 goals from midfield. Welcome on-board Stuart

33. Default

FB video thingy with the Panini stickers is funny!

Welcome Stuart!

Will be shocked if Lemina is not sold

Says we beat a lot of competition for his signature, who else was interested?

Welcome aboard

37. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenLeTiss View Post
    Says we beat a lot of competition for his signature, who else was interested?
    Leicester. (I made that up to feel better about the Maddison deal).

I think Palace & Brighton were interested.

Thatís Jwp further down the pecking order, good

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Possibly, but do we play Lemina as an 'attacking midfielder' ?

40. Default

Adam Blackmore's interview with Armstrong:

@AdamBlackmore: Hereís my interview with new #saintsfc signing Stuart Armstrong - affable, intelligent and quietly confident - goals from midfield will be a bonus.
    The new Steven Davis maybe...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06c4npr

Welcome Stuart Armstrong!

Glad we've signed him. I've watched him for a while. Cracking left foot and an eye for a shot instead of passing the buck.

43. Default

Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Glad we've signed him. I've watched him for a while. Cracking left foot and an eye for a shot instead of passing the buck.
    Both feet by the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post

No idea who would be remotely interested in paying more than we paid for him last season. Therefore, not sold.

Weird that he's got this reputation of some wonder player who Liverpool or whoever are about to snap up when he couldn't hold a place down in the worst Southampton side for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    No idea who would be remotely interested in paying more than we paid for him last season. Therefore, not sold.

Weird that he's got this reputation of some wonder player who Liverpool or whoever are about to snap up when he couldn't hold a place down in the worst Southampton side for five years.
    He'd need to maintain it for an entire season in order to get a big move, but it is clear he is a very good player. Strength on the ball, dribbling, ball control, tackling, passing all at a very good level.

Bye bye Tadic then.

What number will Armstrong wear?

Good signing and should be hungry to prove his value, which is a plus for a side where that has been lacking considerably.

Welcome to the latest Saint Armstrong

Just had email from the club confirming signing.

He'd need to maintain it for an entire season in order to get a big move, but it is clear he is a very good player. Strength on the ball, dribbling, ball control, tackling, passing all at a very good level.
    Not disputing that, and I think he has got that in him - but no way has he done enough to command the fee we'd need to sell him.