Stuart Armstrong

Kingsland Red

@bbckennymac: .@CelticFC & @SouthamptonFC have agreed terms for the transfer of Stuart Armstrong. The midfielder has been given permission to talk with Saints & is believed to be keen on the move.

"An initial fee of around seven million. With add-ons built in."

Have watched him play for Scotland against decent opposition (including England) and he looked very good to me !

For £7mil I would bite their hand off !

I agree seems a lot better value than Maddison in the short term.

Seems to have played well for Celtic for a number of years

Last season he sounded a decent replacement for an aging Steven Davis but this season, having had a bit part season in the Scottish league and as a replacement for Tadic, I think we have the right to be a little guarded. Let's see, he seems to fit the Hughes mould at least.

Wait for Heisenberg to turn up... then the negativity will start.

Didn't have to wait that long Heisenberg Jr AKA Batman was in like a shot.

I'd like to at least watch him play a few games in a saints shirt before I write him off but I realise that isn't really the Saintsweb way...

He had a great season at Celtic under Brendan Rogers in his first year, but after his very underwelming season last year we are once again not signing a teams standout player from a 'lesser league'. He has become a squad player at Celtic at absolute best.

Very underwhelming.

Agreed, I was hoping these rumours weren't true as I've seen him play several times for Celtic and not been too impressed. That he can't get in Celtic's team and they weren't prepared to offer him a new contract says it all.

Still if he signs I would love to be proved wrong.

Is there any chance at all that this fellow is a replacement for Davis rather than Tadic?

Looks like Davis understudy/replacement, as well as alternative to Wilshere. Not likely connected with Tadic. Last season performance E at Celtic has to be taken in context of contract dispute starting last summer. Brenda has sidelined him somewhat because he knew he was going.

Didn't he have a decent season the season before last and looked a good player but with two years left on his contract refused a new one. That soured his position at Celtic. Now with a year left Celtic have to shift him or he'll go for nothing at the end of next season, hence the realistic rather than inflated fee.

How has he only got 6 caps for Scotland?
Same reason he only started 14 games last season in a League One standard league: he's not really very good.

I'm starting to think rumours about us being in for Geoff bloody Cameron might not be far off the mark...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Don’t know anything about him really but one things for sure it’s all about which direct player he is replacing. Forgot during summer how many mugs there are on here.

To me he looks like a Steven Davis replacement.

Pretty average player however, imo. Money would certainly be better spent elsewhere.

Can only imagine we are 5-6 down the player wish list

Obviously we know JM was on it and possibly Shaqiri too

If this is the calibre of our summer signings and all we are able to secure these days then next season is going just one way....

giphy.gif

We sign a player from p issing Celtic and he's STILL not a first team regular.

When are we ever going to sign a player again who is actually a regular starter for the club we're buying him from?

Our tranfer business is genuinely pathetic at the minute.

When are we ever going to sign a player again who is actually a regular starter for the club we're buying him from?

Apparently didn't start after falling out with the Brenda over a contract extension because he wanted to leave Celtic....as such he sounds perfect for saints

Are you saying your faith in the black box is waning?