Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

Some of the comments on here are as if we had Ali Dia playing for us again!

Yes, Moi hasnt been great at all so far, but there were a couple of flashes against an excellent City side which I thought looked a bit promising and on another day could've come off. The first time pass over the top to Austin (who should've scored), and a couple of runs where he quickly got closed down made me think he might have something, and is probably just lacking a bit of confidence, in a struggling team. We were struggling to get the ball out of our half, let alone get the ball to him and Austin most of the match, so difficult to read too much into that match / performance. He's not super skillful like a Tadic or Boufal, but I'm just looking forward to seeing what he might be able to do with a little more time in a more confident, fitter, team.

Personally I hope the next game he plays he has an absolute storming match!

You know what your problem is Disconnect? You're looking at this from the point of view of a supporter. Many (most?) of the comments on this forum, to which you refer, are from people who are just permanently critical, or on a wind-up.

Yes, Moi hasnt been great at all so far, but there were a couple of flashes against an excellent City side which I thought looked a bit promising and on another day could've come off. The first time pass over the top to Austin (who should've scored), and a couple of runs where he quickly got closed down made me think he might have something, and is probably just lacking a bit of confidence, in a struggling team. We were struggling to get the ball out of our half, let alone get the ball to him and Austin most of the match, so difficult to read too much into that match / performance. He's not super skillful like a Tadic or Boufal, but I'm just looking forward to seeing what he might be able to do with a little more time in a more confident, fitter, team.

Personally I hope the next game he plays he has an absolute storming match!

I tend to agree with this post. First half i thought he was ok, showed flashes of ability but also that he was prepared to work hard track back etc and with time (and start) could start to make some progress in becoming a useful player. Second half he was fairly anonymous and gave the ball away . lost the ball too easily at times but i put this down to match fitness from lack of game time. I guess we will see over the next few games as to whether " the hut" agrees with me.

Yes, Moi hasnt been great at all so far, but there were a couple of flashes against an excellent City side which I thought looked a bit promising and on another day could've come off. The first time pass over the top to Austin (who should've scored)

It was a good pass, but that's literally the only decent thing I've seen him do in a saints shirt. Other than that, it's just hitting the bar (was that against Palace?) and slowly dribbling into two or three defenders before losing possession. So far he's a long way behind both Boufal and Gaston in the disappointing-foreign-creative-player stakes, both of whom gave immediate, if ultimately unfulfilled, glimpses of unmistakable quality in their first couple of games.

He'd look good in space as I think he has good vision, but as a winger when he's up against full backs he's just pointless. No pace or strength.

Needs time and space on the ball in the number 10 position. I doubt he'll get that in the PL though, so I can imagine he'll be shifted off soon.

Certainly didnt the other week when Obafemi had the ball into the box and Mo stopped running and just watched as Obafemi passed the ball for a 1-2 to the hoardings behind the goal instead of to where he expected Mo to be.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s sad that you have to criticise a player but he’s so poor and offers absolutely nothing whatsoever. No pace, no vision, can’t pass and can’t score. Dreadful signing and just blocking a space in the squad. If Ralph can’t see this then it’s conerning. Hoedt would probably be more effective

Needs to build up confidence and adjust I think a good player is in there maybe loaning him out would be a good move?

I wouldn't say he is garbage you can see kind of what he is trying to do, most fans think they are experts and I remember idiots initially slating the likes of Mana.

Some players do not hit the ground running.... They need to adjust.

Too bloody slow in 99% of everything he did tonight. I know these foreign Johnnies have to get to grips with the pace and power of the game in this country, but this is like a player in the mound of the previous 2 managers: keep doing the same thing and it will work eventually.

Summed up nicely in the first half when the nipper Johnson played a Nice ball into space behind the defence expecting him to be there, nope he had his back pretty much to the ball wandering towards the D, Johnson just shot him a WTF look with upturned palms.

I guess when a bloke states that his move to Saints has made him financially secure for the rest of his life that’s what you are going to get.

Edited by John Boy Saint

He plays like he's a fast winger, but he doesn't have pace so he just gets tackled.

Compare him to Tadic who knew he couldn't just run past people so always protected the ball and looked to unbalance defenders.

He's got some ability on the ball but not productive at all. Our first half formation didn't do him much favours either, as he was playing fairly deep.

Overall, a massive disappointment so far.

Unfortunately Moi is too slow in speed and thought to ever cut in in the PL. He also looks very low on confidence and hides from the ball, making runs to parts of the pitch where he’s not going to be played in. To think we spent six years scouting this guy...what did we see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time I've seen him in the flesh and dear god he absolutely stank last night.

Lost the ball time and time again, didn't show for the ball at all, always in the wrong place and offered virtually no support to either full back when he switched sides. Just all round looked a very poor player.

Yes he got an assist, but then even Ali Dia hit the post.

I won't be expecting to see him in the side again after that; out on loan with the rest of our expensive flops.

Did Reed and his advisors actually do their homework on this guy before they spunked good money on him. The amount of money we have wasted on pure dross this last couple of years is criminal.

It's like we are rerunning the Ali Dia feck up every time we make a purchase atm apart from the odd exception.

There was a moment in the 2nd half last night where he got back to help out in defence and got possession in the RB position. He tried to make a run down the wing, and he looked like he was running through treacle. It was painful to watch. And then he fluffed it by messing up a simple infield pass.

He's had plenty of chances now, and for me he has shown nothing to suggest he is ever going to improve.

Another expensive flop who will no doubt hang around like a bad smell for the next few years. Thanks Les.

Bexy, I thought that the run was OK, but yes the fluffing (!) was disappointing. I always will on players like him to show us what they are made of. I want them to blossom and be a real success. But looking at last night, I look at him and JWP. JWP was snapping at people, tackling, tracking all over the place, doing a proper pass or two. JWP seems to have stepped up his game. Mo hasn't.

Did Reed and his advisors actually do their homework on this guy before they spunked good money on him. The amount of money we have wasted on pure dross this last couple of years is criminal.

It's like we are rerunning the Ali Dia feck up every time we make a purchase atm apart from the odd exception.

He was good in a poor league but that's the sort of players we go for in the hope of pulling off a find. Chances are though for every gem you do unearth you are going to have go through a big pile of rocks to find it.

I guess the debate is do you keep buying cheaper options who have done well at a lower level (or been a reserve at a good level) in the hope they come good and spread your money over several positions in the squad or spend more on someone proven at the top level in one postion.

It's a pretty convincing arguement that the money spent on the likes of Moi, Hoedt, Boufal, Carrillo and Gabbi etc might have been better spent on one top top striker and one quality CB ( at least until they get injuries or go on strike to get a move to Liverpool [emoji12])

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Terrible last night though he did improve in the 2nd half. Most of his issues have been noted already but the major problem is that he can't pass the ball. He does not get the weight of the pass right so every pass is either short or reaches his team mate with no pace resulting in the move breaking down or being delayed. This is basic technique for a professional footballer and shocking that a player we have signed cannot master it. No way should he ever be considered for us again. Better to bring back Ali Dia if he can be found. We have young players at the club who can perform way better.

Will probably go back on loan to a random European side in the near future. I wanted to give this guy a chance but I can't see one thing he does well. Cannot believe the amount we paid for him based on what we've seen. Last night he was just so bad. Can't see him getting many more minutes now we're out of the cup.

This chap reminds me of Fabrice Fernandes without the technical ability.

If he beats a player, he pops back for another attempt and loses the ball. Rarely releases the ball on time for a pass, if he does it's woefully underweight. It'd be easier to handle if he was rapid, but he's not.

He was good in a poor league but that's the sort of players we go for in the hope of pulling off a find. Chances are though for every gem you do unearth you are going to have go through a big pile of rocks to find it.

I guess the debate is do you keep buying cheaper options who have done well at a lower level (or been a reserve at a good level) in the hope they come good and spread your money over several positions in the squad or spend more on someone proven at the top level in one postion.

It's a pretty convincing arguement that the money spent on the likes of Moi, Hoedt, Boufal, Carrillo and Gabbi etc might have been better spent on one top top striker and one quality CB ( at least until they get injuries or go on strike to get a move to Liverpool [emoji12])

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

There is always a risk with this strategy, but it's also the only realistic way of improving over time. I know we managed it with Lovren/Alderweireld/van Dijk, but the chances of us finding an upgrade on van Dijk were extremely slim, no matter what we spent. But perhaps if we bought 3 new players and they all turned out to be half decent then our team might be stronger overall.

I don't think there's anything wrong with our business model per se, but clearly it relies on the scouting department being reasonably good. The answer to the debate really lies with how much luck there is with finding the right players. Were we just fortunate that the likes of Mane, Wanyama and Tadic were good players, or did we have different people or different criteria in place then? Or perhaps the environment has changed - maybe we were ahead of the game with this 'black box' idea but now other teams are just as sophisticated, plus you have the issue that the big clubs hoover up about 3 team's worth of talent so there simply isn't enough leftover for everyone else? This last thought only came to me as I scrolled through the list of PL transfers in summer 17/18 looking for alternative £10-£15m signings to Wesley Hoedt. Surely there would be loads... but Maguire was the only obvious one I could see.