Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

Good attitude. Let’s hope he does it.

Not sure I take away the same as you from those comments. Sounds to me like he's saying he's been told he's not up to it but isn't going anywhere. And why would he? He's on a lengthy, lucrative contract. I think he'll be anothe Classie, loaned out every season until his contracts up. Which is a bit unfair on classie as he at least showed glimpses of being a footballer.

In the litany of poor signings over the last coup,e of years, he appears to be the worst, which is quite an achievement!

Just in case he becomes the next messi and this gets dragged back onto the forum in 2 years time as proof of how little I know, may I say I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but 9 months into his saints career and we've had one decent cross as return. I don't care how 'determined' he is to work to get into the team, I'd rather he went.

Being a cynical old Hector, somewhere in the detritus wafting around the place when he signed, pretty certain I saw that he mentioned the move to Saints would set him up for life..............the boy ain't going to be on his toes in a hurry during the course of his contract, unless its for a pay rise elsewhere.

There is obviously a player in there somewhere lets hope the desire to play football is stronger than an easy wedge in his pocket!

To be fair to Moi, not many Norwegians have played in the EPL after it was "ruined by money". Norwegian media is very much focusing their interviews on his salary.

Regarding people getting excited over elyounoussi, I think that happens all the time around here with everyone we are about to sign or get linked with, vestergaard, boufal you name it whoever we sign is amazing even though majority of posting claiming this has probably never seen them play in a proper game... what I also find amusing is then when they player people were excited about doesn't work out people are quick to point the finger at our terrible recruitment in hindsight.. I mean in a way how can you blame if you were super excited and celebrating the signing?

Most of us were far from excited when we bought the clown's donkey. £19 million down the toilet was the general consensus.

Don't care what he says, he's still just an expensive, Norwegian Juanmi.

Juanmi looked only slightly out of his depth. Didn't he play well against a Championship team in the cup or something? I can't even imagine Mo doing that. He's far too slow both physically and mentally for English football.

Juanmi looked only slightly out of his depth. Didn't he play well against a Championship team in the cup or something? I can't even imagine Mo doing that. He's far too slow both physically and mentally for English football.

No, he managed to look lost in a 6-0 win at MK Dons.

But his record at Basel wasnt bad, 24 goals in 80 odd games. Just not cutting it here and confidence looks shot. At times he's looked to pass the ball when it's easier to take a shot

and the other time, home to Newcastle, he shoots when he should have squared it to Charlie instead!!!

No, he managed to look lost in a 6-0 win at MK Dons.

I remember watching Neil McCann in a pre-season against Eastleigh. He wouldn't have made the Eastleigh bench the following week. Strachan's determined pursuit to sign McCann was the start of things going badly wrong for WGS.

But his record at Basel wasnt bad, 24 goals in 80 odd games. Just not cutting it here and confidence looks shot. At times he's looked to pass the ball when it's easier to take a shot

He doesn't look like he's anything like good enough, however, in an interview he gave recently he said he's suffered a series of injuries this season, so perhaps we'll see a new side of him if he gets a decent preseason under his belt. I can't see it happening, but there's always hope...

Regarding people getting excited over elyounoussi, I think that happens all the time around here with everyone we are about to sign or get linked with, vestergaard, boufal you name it whoever we sign is amazing even though majority of posting claiming this has probably never seen them play in a proper game... what I also find amusing is then when they player people were excited about doesn't work out people are quick to point the finger at our terrible recruitment in hindsight.. I mean in a way how can you blame if you were super excited and celebrating the signing?
The recruitment team get to see an in depth view of the player. Fans get excited because we hope they are a step up. We are not privvy to everything the recruiters get to see. If course fans vent their frustrations at yet another poor signing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The recruitment team get to see an in depth view of the player. Fans get excited because we hope they are a step up. We are not privvy to everything the recruiters get to see. If course fans vent their frustrations at yet another poor signing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

my point is we shouldn't really bash if we thought it was a good idea and was hailing the signings ourselves.. the likes of carillon fair enough.

I was super excited about the likes of Osvaldo Gaston and boufal in particular. but I don't really blame anyone for them not coming off as to me they looked ambitious.

Did we buy the right one?

At least that one was in the starting lineup for Norway; our one only came on as a sub and, of course, didn't score either. Whether Ross Wilson would have known which one was which is debatable. Generally speaking, a player who isn't considered good enough to be a regular starter for Norway isn't good enough for the Premier League, although, having seen him play, we all knew that anyway. But, apparently, young Ross didn't.

• 1 month later...
Southampton signed Mohamed Elyounoussi from FC Basel in 2018 and the winger has struggled in his debut season in England.

The 24-year-old has made eight starts in the Premier League out of which only two of them have come under Ralph Hasenhüttl, who replaced Mark Hughes as the manager at St Mary’s Stadium in December.

Despite signing a five-year deal with the English club last summer, the Norway international has told TV2 that he will hold talks with his manager regarding his future at the club “before the summer.”

When asked Elyounoussi if he is in Hasenhüttl’s plans, the player told the Norwegian media outlet: “I feel it. But I haven’t had a real chat with the club, so it’s approaching that I have to do it.

“I am very motivated to come back here and fight for a place. It will be up to me to show that I can deliver.”

The attacker further stressed on the things he needs to work on, if he has to improve at Southampton.

“He [Hasenhüttl] has told me he doesn’t doubt my quality and skills. I might have needed more time on the physical side, it took longer than I thought. It is about keeping yourself free from injury throughout the season. He is positive about what I do in training and in my attitude,” he added.

Elyounoussi’s last start came in the Saints’ 3-0 defeat to West Ham United last weekend as he returned to the pitch for the first time since last appearing for the South Coast club against Arsenal in February.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-reveals-will-hold-talks-hasenhuttl-southampton-future/

Based on those words as quoted, I can't see any massive harm keeping him for another season (unless we get a decent offer).

He clearly has a point to prove, which I often feel is better for the club than having someone who'd rather be elsewhere. If RH wants him to stay then I'd have no massive issue with that.

Based on those words as quoted, I can't see any massive harm keeping him for another season (unless we get a decent offer).

He clearly has a point to prove, which I often feel is better for the club than having someone who'd rather be elsewhere. If RH wants him to stay then I'd have no massive issue with that.

Prove what? There is literally not one redeeming attribute I can name for Elyounoussi.

He won't be going anywhere he has the best contract of his career he'd be mad to give that up after only one season. Its the same with a lot of players we have most of them probably realise they won't be getting a better deal elsewhere so will sit on their contracts and "fight" :lol: for their place if they end up getting loaned out they might be happy enough but they won't be looking for a move away on less wages and no one can force them to.

He's never going to adapt, he is out of his depth and has no attributes of any positive nature for this level.

He needs to go, it will only be a loan as we are probably paying him a fortune and no one will take him off us full time, but he's no good to us at all. Cheerio.

Prove what? There is literally not one redeeming attribute I can name for Elyounoussi.

Fair enough! I'm just saying that I have no issues with him staying on if RH wants to keep him (as that's what the words in the quoted interview suggest).

Unless he is a money-grabber and happy to see out his contract, I'd imagine he'd want to prove to us fans that he's better than the player we've seen this year?

I’m sure he does want to fight for his place and ideally would be good enough to at least be an impact sub. Sadly as stated he has none of the attributes needed at this level and never will have. Not his fault - blame lies squarely with Ross and team (I mean they’ve tracked him for 5 years so had plenty of time to assess). Again you can’t blame him for getting paid much more than he is worth , and dropping down a level means a significant pay drop. So best all round we send him on loan for a fee and subsidise his wages for a year (shop window) than be pressured to play him given he’s one of our higher wage earners. Same goes for Hoet, Gallagher, Fraser and Carrillo. Think we may have to accept subsidised loans until their contracts run out (3 yrs ?). It’s better than thinking they have a use as squad players - as they don’t (eg recent West Ham debacle) and it will negatively impact results (and cost us more money in lost places / relegation).

• 4 weeks later...

Fenerbahce ?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/director-begins-initiatives-sign-southampton-attacker-offer-made/

There’s a claim in the Turkish media Fenerbahce are interested in signing Southampton forward Mohamed Elyounoussi in this transfer window.

The Norway international joined the Saints last summer from Basel but failed to make an impact during his first season in England.

Fanatik today report Fenerbahce sporting director Damien Comolli has begun ‘initiatives’ to sign Elyounoussi this summer and the Super Lig club have already made an offer to sign the attacker.

It’s claimed due to Fenerbahce’s financial situation they are looking to loan the player from Southampton, but they need to convince the Premier League side over such a deal.

Southampton at this stage aren’t keen to send the Norwegian out on a temporary basis, but Fener are still looking to convince them.

If the Turkish side can get an agreement with Southampton, then they will start talks with the player’s representatives.

Elyounoussi made just 16 Premier League appearances for the English side during the last campaign.

TBH - his stock is probably the lowest it's been in years, a loan might work for both parties if he has a good season.

But I'd accept £10m probably to get rid of him.

I can't imagine anyone even paying that. He doesn't even look like a footballer.

If he'd displayed the slightest hint of something in the games he's played this season you'd be tempted to see if he'd improve in his 2nd season

Depressing situation is that likely we have four years of loaning him out to the likes of Fenerbahce to come and just saving on some of his wages

We may have to accept a basic loan fee which can be deducted from the purchase price at the end of the season. Or accept a £10M fee, paid £2M a year?

What period are players usually paid over - is it 3 years? Spreading the cost over a long period to try and move him on, would make sense.

Least its somewhat reassuring that the club appear to have identified the same players most fans think are not good enough. Thats Gallagher, Austin, Elyonnoussi, Targett and possibly Stephens linked with moves away. Just need to add Hoedt, Forster and Cedric to that list. Wont hold my breath until theyre out the door though

Worst player to represent us since we came back up. Beyond awful. If loaning him out just to shift a percentage of his wages is the best we can do we should do it.

I’ll see your Moi, and raise you a Danny Fox

I can't imagine anyone even paying that. He doesn't even look like a footballer.

Genuinley excited by this one, he's quality. Quick, bit of a unit - wouldn't say he's small, tricky and a very good dribbler. Also knows where the net is.

I love these sorts of signings - star of a team in a lesser league, at a good age. We'll probably sell him in 2 seasons time for double the fee, but if that happens it means he's been a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYpQiznHO4

Standard youtube.

Surely he can’t have lost all that page 1 hype, there must be a good player in there somewhere, just will it ever be extracted by us, or anyone else

I don;t think hes a terrible player but it just hasn't worked here for him and I can't see it working, he lacks the pace that Ralph wants so let him go rebuild his career.

I'm sorry, but he is terrible. I really am not a negative poster and stay pretty positive about saints most of the time but he's one of the worst signings I recall, especially given the fee and wages.

In an entire season he managed one single cross of note (IIRC in the Derby replay, a game we lost anyway). Other than that, absolutely nothing. Not even a hint of being able to do anything remotely useful or impactful. That is a dreadful return by any reckoning.

If anyone wants him and is prepared to give us more than 50p to help lessen the amount we have to write off on him I'd take it.

I don;t think hes a terrible player but it just hasn't worked here for him and I can't see it working, he lacks the pace that Ralph wants so let him go rebuild his career.

Agree with all that apart from the bit about him not being a terrible player.

He's a terrible player in this league, you need speed of thought and speed of feet.

You have no time to have a brain cell committee meeting between your ears to decide what you are going to do next otherwise you will be having to appoint another committee to get you back to where you were for the original committee to decide on the original course of action you were undecided about......................... and sadly that reads exactly the way it appears to play out within his grey matter when he has been on the pitch for us.