Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

This would be the Danny Fox who cost £1.5m and contributed something like 15 assists from left back in our championship promotion season? Yes he was out of his depth in the premier league but so we’re a lot of players who played a part in our promotions. What a ridiculous comparison, why don’t you also say Elyounoussi was as bad as Danny Butterfield, Frazer Richardson, Dan Harding, Dean Hammond, Richard Chaplow?
Because we were discussing who was our worst player since returning to the prem. Why would I discount Fox, he was dreadful in the prem. Look up how many goals and assists Ely had before moving to a stronger league. I didn't make the comparison, I was directly responding to the assertion that Ely has been the worst, which is clearly wrong. I also mentioned Hoedt and Carrillo but you don't seem to have noticed that.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Because we were discussing who was our worst player since returning to the prem. Why would I discount Fox, he was dreadful in the prem. Look up how many goals and assists Ely had before moving to a stronger league. I didn't make the comparison, I was directly responding to the assertion that Ely has been the worst, which is clearly wrong. I also mentioned Hoedt and Carrillo but you don't seem to have noticed that.

You obviously did make the comparison, and you are clearly wrong if you think this goon was/is better and has contributed more than the 3 players you chose to compare him with.

You obviously did make the comparison, and you are clearly wrong if you think this goon was/is better and has contributed more than the 3 players you chose to compare him with.

I was responding to you saying "comfortably the worst player to 'play' for us since we came back up", therefore you made the comparison between him and everyone else who has played for us since coming up. If I point out someone who has been worse since we have come up, like Fox, then that is a fine response to the original point. How well he did in the championship and his original price is irrelevant with regards to your statement, which is wrong.

Secondly, he is much better than Fox was, and has a lot more to his game than Carrillo and hasn't cost us nearly as many points as Hoedt. Again, he is trash, but people forget how many other truly terrible players we have had over the years since we got back to the prem.

Comparing Fox to Elyounoussi is pathetic and clueless. He was signed as a championship left back and did his job, He wasn’t signed as a premier league player, he was signed to get us there with the club knowing full well within 18 months - 2 years Shaw would be ready and take over.

Comparing Fox to Elyounoussi is pathetic and clueless. He was signed as a championship left back and did his job, He wasn’t signed as a premier league player, he was signed to get us there with the club knowing full well within 18 months - 2 years Shaw would be ready and take over.

I don't know why people find this so hard to grasp, if someone says "comfortably the worst player to 'play' for us since we came back up" they mean he is worse than EVERY player we have had since we came back up. That includes championship players who followed us up, loanees to deal with injury, youth stars who couldnt make the step up, everyone. Given this, it is fine to compare to people like Fox in response. Try engaging your brain for a moment and actually grasping the context of a comment before you make stupid takes.

I was responding to you saying "comfortably the worst player to 'play' for us since we came back up", therefore you made the comparison between him and everyone else who has played for us since coming up. If I point out someone who has been worse since we have come up, like Fox, then that is a fine response to the original point. How well he did in the championship and his original price is irrelevant with regards to your statement, which is wrong.

Secondly, he is much better than Fox was, and has a lot more to his game than Carrillo and hasn't cost us nearly as many points as Hoedt. Again, he is trash, but people forget how many other truly terrible players we have had over the years since we got back to the prem.

I know exactly what you were responding to and you are still wrong. While we’re on points irrelevant to the debate - you know, the one about players who have played for us in the Premier League and how well they have played for us in the Premier League - how about Elyounoussi’s goals and assist stats before he joined us?

I know exactly what you were responding to and you are still wrong. While we’re on points irrelevant to the debate - you know, the one about players who have played for us in the Premier League and how well they have played for us in the Premier League - how about Elyounoussi’s goals and assist stats before he joined us?
This comment makes no sense. I have no idea what you are getting at.

This comment makes no sense. I have no idea what you are getting at.

Try reading post 804 (which you wrote). Anyway, I'm tired of this, I think he's the worst player to play for us since we came back up. You think Danny Fox is. End of debate.

Try reading post 804 (which you wrote). Anyway, I'm tired of this, I think he's the worst player to play for us since we came back up. You think Danny Fox is. End of debate.
That's fine, I respect your opinion both were dreadful. I mainly just take exception to the idiots on here who think bringing up Fox in a discussion of worst player for us since rejoining the prem is unfair. Those people are dumb as all hell.

That's fine, I respect your opinion both were dreadful. I mainly just take exception to the idiots on here who think bringing up Fox in a discussion of worst player for us since rejoining the prem is unfair. Those people are dumb as all hell.

Definitely not our worst player, but Danny Fox was pure dog sh** definsively

might have something to do with the fact he got two assists and scored against them in both legs of a Europa league tie a few years back when he played for molde

[video=youtube;pzH320Axs-c]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34694672

Remarkable bit of footage that is.

The second goal looks to be scored by a CB called Forren. Just the sort of CB we could do with...wonder where he is now. The GK should also take 'credit' for his part in Ely's goal.

• 2 weeks later...
Got an assist 200 seconds into Celtic debut. Celtic fans saying he's amazing on twitter. Shows the standard of Scottish football.

Good for him & good for us. Not sure being amazing in Scotland will get any rich European clubs interested in buying him, but at least puts him in the shop window.

Good for him & good for us. Not sure being amazing in Scotland will get any rich European clubs interested in buying him, but at least puts him in the shop window.

We've bought plenty of players after they've done alright in Scotland in recent years, and in fact they've always done well for us, albeit some would disagree on Forster

• 2 weeks later...
Another appalling signing

Yep. Utterly dreadful. Probably the worst of the lot in recent years, and there have been some stinkers in that time.

The only meaningful contribution I can remember him making was an assist against Derby in the FA cup last season.

Hopelessly out of his depth in the PL, and seemingly not even good enough to play regularly in Scotland either.

If any other business lost 66m I would like to know what happened to the person responsible.
In what financial year did SFC lose £66m?

Yes we've bought some dross but spare us the pearl-clutching horrified act.

Especially once January and July roll around and the same people start demanding we spunk thirty million on this or that superstar who definitely definitely won't turn out to be a failure.

Don’t forget they actually promoted Ross ! Hopefully with a new recruitment team they can make better signings, but they have wasted an awful lot of money (add wages to those fees and it’s more like £100m). Can see Gao reluctance to give them more until they start showing success.

Who mentioned financial year?.

Over the last 2/3 seasons we have wasted vast amounts of money for a club our size on players, some of which are still owned by us because no other club will pay anything close to what we did. Hardly pearl clutching when we are left with a side barely capable of keeping us in the prem and with little to no budget to improve the squad, probably due to our past negligent overspending on players like Eylounoussi.

In what financial year did SFC lose £66m?

Yes we've bought some dross but spare us the pearl-clutching horrified act.

Especially once January and July roll around and the same people start demanding we spunk thirty million on this or that superstar who definitely definitely won't turn out to be a failure.

Spare us the contrarian outrage. Blind Freddy can see the Club has spunked tens of millions on crap players and Reed L. and Wilson R. have been at the heart of the decision making.....it's a reasonable complaint.

Spare us the contrarian outrage. Blind Freddy can see the Club has spunked tens of millions on crap players and Reed L. and Wilson R. have been at the heart of the decision making.....it's a reasonable complaint.
We aren't any different to every other club though. Pretty much every PL club has a bunch of failed signings people talk like saints are the only club to ever take a punt on a player who turns out to be less than stellar.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

We aren't any different to every other club though. Pretty much every PL club has a bunch of failed signings people talk like saints are the only club to ever take a punt on a player who turns out to be less than stellar.

True enough - but for a Club our size, the recruitment of the last 2-3 years has been abysmal; and whether you measure it according to financial year outlays or the motley style of Football played post-Koeman, Pochettino, it reflects badly on the Club recruiters/decision makers.

We have to balance the failures with the financial successes. Sure, we have signed a lot of players who have not turned out as well as had been hoped but we have also made some profits on sales.

Much of the waste can be put down to the high turnover of managers each with their different playing styles and preferences.

Like Man U spending £60m on Fred.

True enough - but for a Club our size, the recruitment of the last 2-3 years has been abysmal; and whether you measure it according to financial year outlays or the motley style of Football played post-Koeman, Pochettino, it reflects badly on the Club recruiters/decision makers.

When you're signing players in the market we buy in as below, you're going to have no guaranteed success. Agree that we have been worse recently, but that's probably because we're trying to sign players for the same price, but the market has moved substantially in the last few years. The players we were buying 4/5 years ago for £8-12m, are now going for upwards of £30m.

- highly rated upcoming talent

- 21-24 age bracket

- £8m - £20m transfer fee

- £30K - £60k wages

When you're signing players in the market we buy in as below, you're going to have no guaranteed success. Agree that we have been worse recently, but that's probably because we're trying to sign players for the same price, but the market has moved substantially in the last few years. The players we were buying 4/5 years ago for £8-12m, are now going for upwards of £30m.

- highly rated upcoming talent

- 21-24 age bracket

- £8m - £20m transfer fee

- £30K - £60k wages

It’s much more about choosing wisely than paying over a certain figure for a player. Most of our choices have been poor recently and there is no excuse for that given the resource we have to thoroughly check a player out.

Jo blogs off the street could have had that kind of failure without any black boxes and the Staplewood resource around him..

Bickering aside, the problem with Elyounoussi is that any scout watching him for five minutes should have been able to tell that he's got absolutely no acceleration or top-line pace.

If a player has all the attributes to succeed and doesn't work out (Boufal, Lemina, Hoedt might fall into this category) then fair enough - those are the breaks where you're trying to game the market. When someone fails because of physical characteristics that are obvious within the first few minutes of his debut, then a bit of finger-pointing is probably warranted (especially if you boast about having scouted the aforementioned player for six sodding years before signing).