Mo Elyounoussi

Daft Kerplunk

To class the £16m signing of a 24-year-old who had only ever played in Norway and Switzerland as a gamble is putting it lightly. Mohamed Elyounoussi had Champions League experience with Basel and plenty of international caps with Norway but it is not particularly surprising that he has struggled to step up. The winger has shown flashes of his ability but no end product in a Saints jersey, without a single goal or assist to his name in 12 league appearances, and he has played just 93 minutes in the league under new manager Ralph Hasenhüttl.

Fair assessment from the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/jan/29/transfer-window-summer-signings-flopped-season) .

Maybe a preseason under Hasenhüttl will see if he has a future at Saints.

To class the £16m signing of a 24-year-old who had only ever played in Norway and Switzerland as a gamble is putting it lightly. Mohamed Elyounoussi had Champions League experience with Basel and plenty of international caps with Norway but it is not particularly surprising that he has struggled to step up. The winger has shown flashes of his ability but no end product in a Saints jersey, without a single goal or assist to his name in 12 league appearances, and he has played just 93 minutes in the league under new manager Ralph Hasenhüttl.

Fair assessment from the Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/jan/29/transfer-window-summer-signings-flopped-season) .

Maybe a preseason under Hasenhüttl will see if he has a future at Saints.

Has he shown flashes of ability? I haven't seen it.

Shocking player and by far the worst signing over the past couple of windows for me. I've not seen one sign of promise, or positive attribute. He looks slow, shows no skill, no movement or anything a decent player should.

All I would say about Moi is that Ralph has shown no hesitancy to freeze out and move on players he doesn’t rate, yet Moi is still playing a (very small) part. I like many others, am not entirely sure why, but it says something to me that he’s still getting some opportunity to play.

All I would say about Moi is that Ralph has shown no hesitancy to freeze out and move on players he doesn’t rate, yet Moi is still playing a (very small) part. I like many others, am not entirely sure why, but it says something to me that he’s still getting some opportunity to play.

Very true. I don't think he's "Hoedt'd" him in public at all.

And now he's bringing in his mate at RB, so looks like Moi stays for a while.

Has he shown flashes of ability? I haven't seen it.

It’s been followed up by some terrible play (mainly bad decision making of what to do with the ball).

I know certain players need longer to adapt to the fast pace league and the manager’s tactical system, so I hoping it is that and we start to see some progression towards the end of the season. Otherwise another player bought that has stopped a home grown player having a chance.

Frustrating as he has talent, but he's not quick, and his decision making is not great. I'm willing to give him a chance, but he's been absolutely terrible so far. Remember thinking he played pretty well at Palace away, but had a couple of beers by then...

So why don't they give him a couple of beers before every game? :?

I think the main thing to remember is he is definitely not deadwood like that Portuguese full back we shipped out to a footballing backwater.

Cedric is championship standard and Inter only picked him up for sh1ts n giggles

Moi is class and an improvement on Tadic. Don't write him off like you did Mane.

Quite how he got on the pitch and not Shane Long is really odd....

Longs only real talent is running around in spaces. Palace were sitting deep and there were no spaces, therefore a tidy technical player was the correct choice.

Yes I am aware it’s Moi we’re talking about and that we are essentially comparing a kick in the nads to a paper cut on your todger.

• 2 weeks later...
He is absolutely dreadful.

Does nothing on the ball and today gave away the needless free kick that lead to their winner.

For me a worse signing than Carillo, possibly the worst of the Reed era.

We can all see this, why can't the manager? How oh how does he even make the squad?????

We can all see this, why can't the manager? How oh how does he even make the squad?????

Havent you noticed the squad has been trimmed to the bare bones. One or two injuries and he’s bound to be on the bench. Goes for a fair few for the rest of the season - no matter how bad they will be back next week cos there is no ****er else

Bizarre including Gunn in this, as he's probably sat there wondering why the hell McCarthy is playing ahead of him when he's been far superior.

It really isn't bizarre. What is bizarre is us spending that money on someone that is deemed second choice. Massive waste of money as things stand.

It really isn't bizarre. What is bizarre is us spending that money on someone that is deemed second choice. Massive waste of money as things stand.

I agree. Gunn may well turn out to be decent but offer me a choice between our current situation and a £13m striker with Forster on the bench...

• 1 month later...
Mohamed Elyounoussi left FC Basel and made a switch to Southampton last summer.

Since moving to the Premier League, the forward made six starts in the league under the guidance of Mark Hughes and then saw a new manager appointed.

The South Coast club parted ways with the former Manchester City manager in December and Ralph Hasenhüttl was appointed as his successor. Under the guidance of the new manager, the Norway international has made only one start in the league.

Elyounoussi is yet to score or register an assist, despite being deployed in more advanced positions.

Adresseavisen have gathered comments made by the 24-year-old regarding his current situation, while asking if he considered leaving the club in the winter market.

“I choose to look at this as a challenge. At some point I had to get a drop. I’ve never been injured earlier in my career, in Southampton I have experienced several injuries,” Elyounoussi said.

“But I have to try to find positive things every day, thinking that I can grow on the adversity, and fight my way back into the team. I’m quite honest when I say it’s like that.”

When asked if Southampton had given the Norwegian any explanation regarding his current situation at the club, he said: “They see that I have skills and am important player for the club. But I need more time to develop and take the physical level required in the Premier League.”

Elyounoussi has categorically confirmed that he will not leave the club in the summer.

“It’s not a topic for me at all. I’ll stand here, I’ll show what I can do, I’ll turn this around,” the attacker concluded.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-reveals-saints-message-difficult-situation-claims-wont-change-club/

Being a cynical old Hector, somewhere in the detritus wafting around the place when he signed, pretty certain I saw that he mentioned the move to Saints would set him up for life..............the boy ain't going to be on his toes in a hurry during the course of his contract, unless its for a pay rise elsewhere.

There is obviously a player in there somewhere lets hope the desire to play football is stronger than an easy wedge in his pocket!

Problem with him is he doesn't seem to have any awareness, holds on to the ball to long.. doesn't seem to realise when he has a man on him, try's to run through players when he hasn't got the pace to do it..maybe he's used to playing weak opposition where he can get away with it but none of his play is working here.

Problem with him is he doesn't seem to have any awareness, holds on to the ball to long.. doesn't seem to realise when he has a man on him, try's to run through players when he hasn't got the pace to do it..maybe he's used to playing weak opposition where he can get away with it but none of his play is working here.

Boufal's problem too. Maybe a summer of Ralph drilling it into him to release the ball quicker will pay dividends. There must be drills (one two touch) to reinforce this. Mind you, he strikes me as a stubborn player that thinks he knows it all. Same with Boufal, same with Hoedt. These players are virtually untrainable, egos too big, don't want to learn.

Boufal's problem too. Maybe a summer of Ralph drilling it into him to release the ball quicker will pay dividends. There must be drills (one two touch) to reinforce this. Mind you, he strikes me as a stubborn player that thinks he knows it all. Same with Boufal, same with Hoedt. These players are virtually untrainable, egos too big, don't want to learn.

I get the impression with Mo that he's aware he's not cutting it on the pitch and I didn't with Hoedt. That's the only tangible grounds for optimism I can hold on to. Maybe he'll spend a summer like Redmond and come back improved and stronger; we can but hope.

You only have to read the first page of this thread to see that people were excited about this signing, and while I had never heard of him, obviously some people had, and were keen for him to join us. It does take longer for some footballers to adjust to the Premier League, so perhaps we just have to be patient with him. If he can get his fitness sorted, and he proves to be the talented player some thought him to be, then he could be like a new signing for us next season. As it is, we've seen very little from him so far, and have been fortunate that Redmond and more recently JWP have stepped up to the mark creatively. As people said against Spurs, Sims did more in one half than Moi has done all season, which is a shame. Still, his attitude to improve suggests he's worth sticking by, for now, otherwise it's just wasted wages that we already have enough of.

You only have to read the first page of this thread to see that people were excited about this signing, and while I had never heard of him, obviously some people had, and were keen for him to join us. It does take longer for some footballers to adjust to the Premier League, so perhaps we just have to be patient with him. If he can get his fitness sorted, and he proves to be the talented player some thought him to be, then he could be like a new signing for us next season. As it is, we've seen very little from him so far, and have been fortunate that Redmond and more recently JWP have stepped up to the mark creatively. As people said against Spurs, Sims did more in one half than Moi has done all season, which is a shame. Still, his attitude to improve suggests he's worth sticking by, for now, otherwise it's just wasted wages that we already have enough of.

Regarding people getting excited over elyounoussi, I think that happens all the time around here with everyone we are about to sign or get linked with, vestergaard, boufal you name it whoever we sign is amazing even though majority of posting claiming this has probably never seen them play in a proper game... what I also find amusing is then when they player people were excited about doesn't work out people are quick to point the finger at our terrible recruitment in hindsight.. I mean in a way how can you blame if you were super excited and celebrating the signing?