Les Reed has lost his powers?

Heisenberg

I noticed in the Armstrong ‘behind the scenes’ video, that Wilson ushered him into an office marked ‘Vice chairman’, which of course would normally be Les’ office and therefore you’d expect the usual meet and greet.

He’s either been moved aside or the club is purposefully playing down his influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed in the Armstrong ‘behind the scenes’ video, that Wilson ushered him into an office marked ‘Vice chairman’, which of course would normally be Les’ office and therefore you’d expect the usual meet and greet.

He’s either been moved aside or the club is purposefully playing down his influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or he is having his holoiday

Noticed him fleetingly inside an office, he's definitely there. Unfortunately. Hopefully he is busy arranging buyers for Forster, Boufal and Redmond (and our "goalkeeping coach").

Find it amusing that Les is seen as some sort of villain. Seemed to be OK until Puel, although some might say that we did OK finishing 8th. Pellegrino was a mistake, but hey, we all make mistakes. What no one seems to consider is the remit he was given. He doesn't make that up, he has to run the club within certain parameters. The last owner seems not to have wanted to invest, so it seems that the only option was to sell to reinvest. I think that he did that pretty well. Of course we didn't want to sell all our best players, and why people think Les did is a little strange.

The question that should be asked is, what is Les's remit now? What does the new owner want from the club?

At least the new owner is not a reluctant one like Kat was. I presume he and his family have some sort of plan.

Maybe he's seen all the criticism he gets for appearing with players when they sign and so has decided to step back.

Anyway he's judged on what he actually does - if you believe all ins and outs are decided by him.

Hughes in seems to be well received.

Tadic out seems to be a good move.

Most of us are excited about Elyounoussi it seems.

We appear to be looking for a CB and a striker. So he's doing ok at the moment.

Les Reed talking to Elyounoussi 28 seconds into this video...

[video=youtube;Xa1-YtlRtKs]

Not a fact :mcinnes:

I did say a while back he hadn't got the England job. Not sure why it's a surprise to anyone.

Don't think anyone had thought or suggested that he would or had got the England job.

Think some had just speculated that his responsibly and shackles "running everything" had been reduced after 2 heavy seasons of decline.

Everything I've seen so far suggests that this is true.

We are certainly seeing less of Les and that's got to be a good thing if we want to turn this decline around.

Signings are positive and less of les is very positive.

#WeMarchOn #lessofles

I'm sure if the decline is reversed (I'm confident it will without Les interference) then Les will appear from that shadows and take full credit for everything again :lol:

giphy.gif

Don't think anyone had thought or suggested that he would or had got the England job.

Think some had just speculated that his responsibly and shackles "running everything" had been reduced after 2 heavy seasons of decline.

Everything I've seen so far suggests that this is true.

We are certainly seeing less of Les and that's got to be a good thing if we want to turn this decline around.

Signings are positive and less of les is very positive.

#WeMarchOn #lessofles

I'm sure if the decline is reversed (I'm confident it will without Les interference) then Les will appear from that shadows and take full credit for everything again :lol:

You have no idea whatsoever

I've seen no evidence so far that anything is any different. Same kinds of signings, same sorts of prices, same age groups and profiles, same gamble on improving someone and selling them on for profit. And tbh I'm fine with all of that provided we're signing the right players and it leads to relative success on the pitch (which for us is top 8, challenging for Europe and a cup run). Last season the whole thing was hamstrung by a completely incompetent manager, which was illustrated by the rapid change in results when Hughes came in. We have stability there, so we'll see how it goes.

The only way we'll know if Reed's off-pitch influence has waned is if some of the fundamental principles go away, and for me that's about the first team lining up in a different formation to the rest of the age groups, or a complete change to the first team philosophy without that running through the whole club. And the only key indicators of that are how we line up in competitive matches (or if Reed leaves).

I think Glasgow's right, everything I've noted over the past week would lead me to the conclusion that he's being cleverly downgraded and shoehorned into the teapersons role. No doubt about it.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Another thread from a Moaner whose frustration is showing as the club go about an effective refreshment of the squad. When it was Les Reed who signed players, he was usually pictured at the signing but since the restructure, that’s no longer the case. Since Les Reed became Vice Chairman, Football, it has been easy to see that his role is now more strategic. Director of Recruitment is Ross Wilson so that picking players to bring in lies in his area of responsibility.

Many people felt that last year’s squad contained plenty of talent, just not being used very well and while that may be true, it’s been well known that some players hadn’t performed to the standard expected. For whatever reason, and it may have been the enforced sale of VVD, the club has been able to bring players in without having to wait for income from sales. It’s looking to be an effective strategy, with the goalkeeping position secured and a boost in attacking midfield. We can see now their attention turning to other areas. It has all the makings of an exciting summer that should raise our optimism ahead of the new season. It would be nice to see less sniping at top management and more support for what the club is trying to do. The evidence shows that Ross Wilson and his department are getting on with the job on incomers but as that continues, it’s going to be interesting see who else follows Tadic through the exit door to create the needed space.

Another thread from a Moaner whose frustration is showing as the club go about an effective refreshment of the squad. When it was Les Reed who signed players, he was usually pictured at the signing but since the restructure, that’s no longer the case. Since Les Reed became Vice Chairman, Football, it has been easy to see that his role is now more strategic. Director of Recruitment is Ross Wilson so that picking players to bring in lies in his area of responsibility.

Many people felt that last year’s squad contained plenty of talent, just not being used very well and while that may be true, it’s been well known that some players hadn’t performed to the standard expected. For whatever reason, and it may have been the enforced sale of VVD, the club has been able to bring players in without having to wait for income from sales. It’s looking to be an effective strategy, with the goalkeeping position secured and a boost in attacking midfield. We can see now their attention turning to other areas. It has all the makings of an exciting summer that should raise our optimism ahead of the new season. It would be nice to see less sniping at top management and more support for what the club is trying to do. The evidence shows that Ross Wilson and his department are getting on with the job on incomers but as that continues, its going to be interesting see who else follows Tadic through the exit door to create the needed space.

Good post Prof. Reed's role seems to be different and I suspect he's now more of a figurehead and director of football type character. We can't forget last season but also can't overlook that he has overseen our rise back to the top, and before last season we were punching above out weight. The bloke obviously has a lot to offer and whatever his role now is, the fact is we're getting on with the business side of the game. I reckon we'll do deals with the likes of Forster to get him off the books and bring in solid competition/succession with someone like Gunn, but with Rose being groomed for a longer term role but number 3 in the meantime. In fact I think we'll replicate that model across the squad as far as possible, ie a number 1 for a position, competition from a younger player, and a youngster getting the off chance here and there and being given time to develop.

Two top posts right there. Contrary to popular postings on here I don't think the club is quite the shambles that some on here promote and would like you to believe it is. There's no denying we've made mistakes over the past two years or so, but the vilification of some people is over the top to say the least. I would imagine that revue and reflection of the season is carried out routinely anyway and changes in responsibilities factored in where necessary. No doubt Mark Hughes would've been part of that consultation, so I would imagine that he is happy with the clubs structure. I really don't understand the constant negativity from some people, new season coming up, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Two top posts right there. Contrary to popular postings on here I don't think the club is quite the shambles that some on here promote and would like you to believe it is. There's no denying we've made mistakes over the past two years or so, but the vilification of some people is over the top to say the least. I would imagine that revue and reflection of the season is carried out routinely anyway and changes in responsibilities factored in where necessary. No doubt Mark Hughes would've been part of that consultation, so I would imagine that he is happy with the clubs structure. I really don't understand the constant negativity from some people, new season coming up, enjoy.

That’s how I see it. To many polar views which are not thought through.

When it was Les Reed who signed players, he was usually pictured at the signing but since the restructure, that’s no longer the case. Since Les Reed became Vice Chairman, Football, it has been easy to see that his role is now more strategic. Director of Recruitment is Ross Wilson so that picking players to bring in lies in his area of responsibility

Wilson has been with us since March 2015 and Leslie's title changed over a year ago.

Les has had his mug over all player signings since Cortese left, even recently with Carillo in January.

F90B60D7-9919-4EBB-A1F7-4D122482D68A.jpg

Something has recently changed and I'm personally delighted he has less influence on the 1st team.

Suspect we have Hughes to thank for all this. We have a genuine chance to turn this Les Reed lead decline around now.

COYR

giphy.gif

Something has recently changed and I'm personally delighted he has less influence on the 1st team.

Suspect we have Hughes to thank for all this. We have a genuine chance to turn this Les Reed lead decline around

I think you're right and I speculated that the delay in the Hughes appointment could have been that the exact nature of his role, and others, was a point of discussion. Hughes has come in as manager, not 1st team coach, so I suspect is much more involved in player recruitment than his predecessors.

Les still has a job at SFC so they'll need to find sh*t for him to do occasionally.

I just hope the club doesn't humiliate him too much, the old fella doesn't deserve that.

They’ll have Les suiting up as Sammy the Saint and learning the Gangnam Style dance next.

There's no evidence his role or duties have changed. There's plenty evidence however that he/the media team are trying convince you that his role and duties have changed and he's just been taken out of the firing line.

Yeah, pretty much what Guan & K,Billy used to say about Ralph a while ago. That they would scale back his media presence every now again. Doesn't mean his role changes.

• 2 weeks later...

The signings made following work by Ross Wilson’s recruitment department will have been authorised by the Assistant Chairman of Football. So far, the spend is some £35m, partly offset by the £10m Tadic fee, but we have indications that one or two more signings are yet to come. Given the financial constraints facing clubs such as ours, compared to Man City spending £60m on one player and Man U £50m on another, the facts show the Southampton squad being refreshed very effectively within the budget constraints imposed by the club’s finances and FFP. Since the so-called question at the head of this thread was only asked to try to show that Les Reed sits in his office doing the crossword all day, the answer makes the questioner look rather foolish.

The signings made following work by Ross Wilson’s recruitment department will have been authorised by the Assistant Chairman of Football. So far, the spend is some £35m, partly offset by the £10m Tadic fee, but we have indications that one or two more signings are yet to come. Given the financial constraints facing clubs such as ours, compared to Man City spending £60m on one player and Man U £50m on another, the facts show the Southampton squad being refreshed very effectively within the budget constraints imposed by the club’s finances and FFP. Since the so-called question at the head of this thread was only asked to try to show that Les Reed sits in his office doing the crossword all day, the answer makes the questioner look rather foolish.
Oh argh, so are you saying that Les hasn't lost his powers at all, that he can still fly and see through walls...! Heisy babys not gonna like this, but it looks like SuperLes is back.

[insert one of those giffy, animated picture thingies here]