New contract for Alex McCarthy - 4 Year Deal

Matthew Le God

Good news. He looked very assured last season. How good he really is I am not sure. I just know that he is better than Forster.

I wonder whether Forster will now actually look for a move or simply bide his tide waiting for another chance or indeed just sit on the bench collecting the vast sums we are paying him?

Good news. He looked very assured last season. How good he really is I am not sure. I just know that he is better than Forster.

I wonder whether Forster will now actually look for a move or simply bide his tide waiting for another chance or indeed just sit on the bench collecting the vast sums we are paying him?

You'd think Forster would have to swallow a fair dip in club level and wages to move on. His stock hasn't exactly risen over the last season.

We will, as backup to McCarthy

Forster will probably be sold.

I doubt Gunn will want to be backup when he's already good enough to be first choice at any Championship club and a fair few Premier League teams.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Good news and hopefully he will progress with the good form displayed at the end of the season

Another £1m pa in wages though?

yep. More money going out, but the side is no stronger as a result. Not much the club could do having made a total **** up with Forster.

Relieved to see everyone is pleased! I half expected to be reading how stupid I was for being happy about this!

He was our best player last season, albeit that was not hard, but I expect him to consolidate and maybe improve a little next season.

I doubt Gunn will want to be backup when he's already good enough to be first choice at any Championship club and a fair few Premier League teams.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

No reason why they both cannot compete for top spot. He will have a much better chance with than MC

yep. More money going out, but the side is no stronger as a result. Not much the club could do having made a total **** up with Forster.
Everyone’s a winner then.
I agree...the post above was the one I was disagreeing with. Almost suggesting we should never offer players new and improved contracts as it doesn't improve the team.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Not long ago, there was concern we could lose McCarthy following his excellent performances and talk of consideration for England. Great work by the club to fend off others with a 4-year contract. Maybe they had little choice but to put him on similar pay to Forster but it's still the right and proper thing to do. Whether Forster will regain the form that had him in goal for England, and displays like the one he gave against Arsenal, who know, but we do now have the keeper position covered with a good back up. Wages, Yes, but no transfer fee involved, can't be bad.

It is obviously good that we do not have to waste money on a new keeper. We must hope his form is not transient. The demise of Fraser Forster is a complete mystery to me and many of you one suspects. Obviously he is not going to hang around here warming the bench. Presumably the club are hoping that some highly paid players will seek other clubs so are likely to have told a few that they can leave; the rest is up to their agents. Most would have FF in that category but what if Mac gets crocked early on in the season? Gunn should still be a target even if we cannot guarantee him first team football.