Marlon to sign for €12m

marc_saint

Hope that the Echo is right about the interest in Jannik Vestergaard, in fact The Sun mentioned it several days ago. For those who like a tall CB, this guy is 1.99m (6'5"). Looks to be just what we need. Currently, he's with Denmark in the World Cup so we'll have to be patient while Denmark are still in the competition. It would be nice to think that having another Dane, Pierrre-Emile Højbjerg in our squad could give us an advantage.

Do you really think saints will run with 6 senior CBs? How many games do you think the 6th choice of those CBs will actually play? If we signed Marlon and Vestergaard, I would be very surprised if another CB didn’t go out. In the event of all three first choice CBs being out, Bertrand can just cover. For example, if Stephens is 6th choice and is on the rumoured £50k, than that is a huge waste of money?

Yep, you’d always hope that your first choices don’t get injured.

Hope that the Echo is right about the interest in Jannik Vestergaard, in fact The Sun mentioned it several days ago. For those who like a tall CB, this guy is 1.99m (6'5"). Looks to be just what we need. Currently, he's with Denmark in the World Cup so we'll have to be patient while Denmark are still in the competition. It would be nice to think that having another Dane, Pierrre-Emile Højbjerg in our squad could give us an advantage.

It largely depends if Everton want him as well.

Martin Caceres has been outstanding for Uruguay at the World Cup. Out of contract at Lazio at the end of this month, the more I think about it the more I think we should make a move to get him back. Top draw centre back with huge amount of experience.

Edited by davefizzy14

Do you really think saints will run with 6 senior CBs? How many games do you think the 6th choice of those CBs will actually play? If we signed Marlon and Vestergaard, I would be very surprised if another CB didn’t go out. In the event of all three first choice CBs being out, Bertrand can just cover. For example, if Stephens is 6th choice and is on the rumoured £50k, than that is a huge waste of money?

We don't seem to be in any hurry to get rid of either Targett or McQueen so wonder if Bertrand might actually be a left sided CB this season. It's not like he has never done it before and if Walker can do it...

Talking of Targett, we have enquired about Jamal Lewis, Norwich Citys young left back, according to local papers up here.

Maybe we are thinking of selling him to Fulham afterall?

sell Targett, sign Tierney. He can the provide cover at left back and play at centre back too. A player comfortable in both positions might be ideal as part of a three.

Martin Caceres has been outstanding for Uruguay at the World Cup. Out of contract at Lazio at the end of this month, the more I think about it the more I think we should make a move to get him back. Top draw centre back with huge amount of experience.

I've said a few times on here, I will never understand why we didnt make a move following his temporary contract (maybe we did). I was not at squad training and, as such, have no idea of the quality shown from him nor do i know how much he demands in wages etc but always looks very cultured to me.

I've said a few times on here, I will never understand why we didnt make a move following his temporary contract (maybe we did). I was not at squad training and, as such, have no idea of the quality shown from him nor do i know how much he demands in wages etc but always looks very cultured to me.

Yeah exactly what I felt at the time. He really is top drawer. I wonder whether we can make a move back for him. He certainly knows the club's setup. Any ITKers have any more information on potential CB targets besides Gibson (I hope!) and Marlon? Any information on Caceres?

I do remember Uncle Les being rubbished when he signed Caceras who was branded 'old crock looking for a fat chq' before we had seen him
He was being rubbished for being in a situation where we were scrabbling around signing an out of contract player through sheer desperation after completely cocking up that January transfer window.

We brought him in as emergency cover in case of injury to the third and fourth choice CBs we had.

We had no interest in actually signing Caceres and only signed him because we were desperate. He wasn't "on trial" with a view to signing him, he wasn't part of any plans whatsoever. We played him once when we had two games in quick succession, then packed him off.

Just a few dins on here thinking it was anything other than that.

Delgado looked good in a world cup once as well.

He was being rubbished for being in a situation where we were scrabbling around signing an out of contract player through sheer desperation after completely cocking up that January transfer window.

We brought him in as emergency cover in case of injury to the third and fourth choice CBs we had.

We had no interest in actually signing Caceres and only signed him because we were desperate. He wasn't "on trial" with a view to signing him, he wasn't part of any plans whatsoever. We played him once when we had two games in quick succession, then packed him off.

That about covers it!

He looks very awkward in those clips, reminds me of Jhon Viafara.

Didn't see anything in that that screamed sign him up, he'll cut it in the EPL.

Danish geezer - Vestegaard - would be my preference, we don't need a ball playing shortarse at the back, unless it's alongside a tall brute. Or perhaps Marlon is seen as a DM.

Didn't see anything in that that screamed sign him up, he'll cut it in the EPL.

Danish geezer - Vestegaard - would be my preference, we don't need a ball playing shortarse at the back, unless it's alongside a tall brute. Or perhaps Marlon is seen as a DM.

And DMs we haven't already got enough of, right !

Yes, but after the injury crocked time we suffered (and value lost) with Jay-Rod, Austin, Svensson and Delgado, least we have learnt. Now we are supposed to be interested in Danny Ings. A player beset with injury. Constant knee problems resulting in hardly any game time at Liverpool. That seems a low cost, jigh risk gamble that can end being a costly waste in that you're paying wages to a player than never features. Like Mayuka, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Forren, Gardos, Filip Duricic, Bednarek (he's played a few games now), Caceres, ....etc. but for different reasons. They weren't overly injured but didn't appear good enough or to have the right temperament so scouting may need some extra diligence post losing Mitchell to Spurs. We lost a lot of staff and players to Spurs and Liverpool and look at how their performances and league position have improved whereas we lost a LOT of quality and look where we ended up. We had a great hit ratio in recent years and sold all them and now seem to be homing in on too many duffs. I think the latest signing, Moi (too tricky to spell surname) will do well. Good signing.

would kind of hope we sign a player who has traditionally played in that role and who generally plays most of his games like the last two signings

I agree. We won't be signing a DM this summer. Romeu will no doubt be first choice and if he is unavailable Hoj or Lemina will step in. Lemina's talents are wasted in that role though and Hoj is just crap at it.

Definitely box to box.

I have a feeling we may see a bit more of Clasie this year.

I quite like him, but just feel it's a position we're well stocked in.

Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Davis, Armstrong, JWP, Reed, Clasie, Hesketh, Slattery...

We need a few to be cut I feel.

Definitely box to box.

I have a feeling we may see a bit more of Clasie this year.

Can you really be a box to box midfielder if you're physically spent after an hour?

I would've thought stamina was a requirement of the role.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Davis, Armstrong, JWP, Reed, Clasie, Hesketh, Slattery...

You’ll get the odd weirdo saying Stephens should play DM too.

Reed is likely gone, Davis's legs have gone. Romeu needs to prove that last season was the career outlier - and not the year before.

The thing is, to replace players in that position with only a half decent back up, you're going to pay £10m/40k p/w, which is Clasie...

He looks very awkward in those clips, reminds me of Jhon Viafara.

a big no from me based on that short video. Looks like he doesn't have the size required, physicality or pace and he isn't convincing with the ball. I like centre backs that can play, but a few too many Cruyff turns. We need a dominating monster of a player.

Edited by Chez

If we buy any CB from Barca it should be Mina, not Marlon. He certainly knows how to keep Sterling in his pocket! A beast of a defender, tall, positionally astute, a good reader of the game and header of the ball in both penalty areas and takes no prisoners. Oh, and can shrug off a groin injury. What's not to like?