Marlon to sign for €12m

marc_saint

I like how if it's a signing the fans like the sound of it's not a Les signing, as soon as we are linked with someone the fans aren't sure on it's labelled a Les signing :rolleyes:

It's hilarious given that all of our signings are Les signings.

We need a Gardos replacement, so we'll have the same number of CBs as we usually

FWIW with all those Rivelino and Jairzinho stepovers this was the kind of centre back I was when I first got shoved in there from playing up front, to save the chairman on my goal bonus. Never managed to get a glorious heel chop in like the one at 2'18 though. :lol:

He doesn't seem to be the quickest (Uruguay number 11 murdered him for pace then had a terrible touch to give the ball back), but he looks like a decent passer and strong enough to lean strikers off the ball. Why not?

That stood out around 1m20s. Seems to have quite a loose first touch and surely we have the risky decision-making/turns in dangerous areas position filled with Hoedt.

The Brazilian Chris Perry.

shudder. One the main reasons we were so poor at that time. Gave his all, no question, but unless he had a run up he was beaten with ease, which caused us so many problems. We don't need another `footballer' at centre back, we have that in abundance, what we need is a ball winner that can play a bit too.

That stood out around 1m20s. Seems to have quite a loose first touch and surely we have the risky decision-making/turns in dangerous areas position filled with Hoedt.

It would be nice to have someone with the skills to get themselves out of those positions rather than just fall over and claim to be fouled.

As for passing, Hoedt reminds me more of Aaron Martin than anyone. He might get better though, Yoshida has.

We've got two centre halves in the world Cup Yoshi and Bednarek playing against each other Poland vJapan, we've got our own Jack S and we've got Hoedt who did well at the crucial end of season. Will we have overload?

If another centre back signs, I think it is likely we'd sell one of them.

Really? surely if the team is going to continue to play 3 at the back then you need 5 CB's in the Squad.

shudder. One the main reasons we were so poor at that time. Gave his all, no question, but unless he had a run up he was beaten with ease, which caused us so many problems. We don't need another `footballer' at centre back, we have that in abundance, what we need is a ball winner that can play a bit too.

I'm glad that someone has an opinion on one of our players from back then, I can't remember anything (apart from Alan Bennett and Chris Makin) that happened on the pitch in the second half of the 00s despite having an ST.

Really? surely if the team is going to continue to play 3 at the back then you need 5 CB's in the Squad.

We've had 5 CBs in the squad for the past 3 years or so even when playing 4 at the back. Though Gardos has been mostly uninvolved.

Doesn't sound great Barca B and a loan to a French club doesn't scream quality he also seems a bit undersized for a PL CB.

So far I think this summer has gone pretty well on the transfer front but this one smacks off us trying to be cute and take a punt on potential when I'd rather we just took a good first choice CB from a decent team. Picking off the best talent from the Championship and smaller top European leagues seems like a better bet to me.

I think they've established that Bednarek is a bit better than the role he had for most of last season so will be shoehorning someone else into the "League Cup and FA Cup games only in season 1" role. But who knows?

We need a Gardos replacement, so we'll have the same number of CBs as we usually

FWIW with all those Rivelino and Jairzinho stepovers this was the kind of centre back I was when I first got shoved in there from playing up front, to save the chairman on my goal bonus. Never managed to get a glorious heel chop in like the one at 2'18 though. :lol:

He doesn't seem to be the quickest (Uruguay number 11 murdered him for pace then had a terrible touch to give the ball back), but he looks like a decent passer and strong enough to lean strikers off the ball. Why not?

Why? If that's what the club wants I'm available to train with the kids, never ever play and pick up a pay check :D

He is almost 3 inches taller than centre backs Fabio Cannavaro and Javier Mascherano.

Here is a list of starting CB's in the Premier League who are under 6ft:

Nathan Ake

Tim Ream

Denis Odoi

That's three out of 40. Size may not be the be all and end all for ability in the air, but in the Premier League it clearly matters alot and that is why Premier League teams recruit big centre backs.

Santos is not a good size for this league. He needs to be outstanding in other areas in order to make an impact.

Nathan Ake

Tim Ream

Denis Odoi

That's three out of 40. Size may not be the be all and end all for ability in the air, but in the Premier League it clearly matters alot and that is why Premier League teams recruit big centre backs.

Santos is not a good size for this league. He needs to be outstanding in other areas in order to make an impact.

Would you say no to Ake then ?

Nathan Ake

Tim Ream

Denis Odoi

I do think we need an imposing CB who can win headers, but height not be all and end all. Hoedt has proven you can be very tall and still not win any headers.

Interesting stat:- Burnley’s centre backs are Ben Mee (6ft) and Tarkowski (6ft 1) and they seemed to cope well.

Barcelona are looking to offload Yerry Mina. Absolute beast in the air - exactly what we need at CB.

Pre-World Cup they were hoping to recoup the €13m they spent on him. Price has probably risen since then, but he'd still be cheaper than Championship mediocrity Ben Gibson.

Wonder why we're supposedly sniffing around Marlon when his superior teammate is available.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'm glad that someone has an opinion on one of our players from back then, I can't remember anything (apart from Alan Bennett and Chris Makin) that happened on the pitch in the second half of the 00s despite having an ST.

Agreed. It's taken a long time, but I've finally managed to forget that period as well.

Daily Echo says we are interested in Jannik Vestergaard.

Totally different player from Marlon. I'm not convinced by the accuracy of the Marlon stuff. Sport is one of the least reliable Spanish football outlets.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16323811.mohamed-elyounoussi-is-not-direct-tadic-replacement/

His agent is working overtime. West Ham and Everton involved.

We don't often sign players with that much noise around them, so probably Goodison or London bound.

Barcelona are looking to offload Yerry Mina. Absolute beast in the air - exactly what we need at CB.

Pre-World Cup they were hoping to recoup the €13m they spent on him. Price has probably risen since then, but he'd still be cheaper than Championship mediocrity Ben Gibson.

Wonder why we're supposedly sniffing around Marlon when his superior teammate is available.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I'd be really surprised if they're trying to offload Yerry Mina. But even if he became available, I suspect we'll be at the bottom of a long list of teams trying to get him. But no harm in trying (unless he's on or wants massive wages).

Anyway re Marlon, having watched that YouTube video, there's nothing in there of how he deals with balls in the air. My view is that he should be converted to a defensive midfielder, he the Wanyama replacement that we've been waiting a few seasons for. Tackles hard but with even better distribution.

I'd be really surprised if they're trying to offload Yerry Mina. But even if he became available, I suspect we'll be at the bottom of a long list of teams trying to get him. But no harm in trying (unless he's on or wants massive wages).

Apparently they have too many non-European players in their squad and have to move some on.

CB is an interesting area for us, as Hughes will clearly always want to keep the 3 at the back in his locker. Until the last few years, English clubs tended to only use it as an experiment but the last two seasons it has almost become the new trend in England. Perhaps because of Chelsea’s use of it when they won the title.

I think it was Koeman who said he always wanted 2 players in his squad for every position, so this being the case and if Hughes is planning to use 3 at the back for the majority of the season, we are currently 2 CBs short. We need 6, but only have Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshida and Bednarek. Maybe we’re after both the Danish fella and Marlon.

At 6”7, the Danish dude is clearly going to be a dominating CB, but from his showreel Marlon looks to be strong on the ball and keen to bring it out. As we’ve seen from England in this World Cup, 3 at the back enables one of the CBs to step out and join the midfield at times. Maybe Marlon has been identified as this player.

As much as I like Yoshida, the requirement to select him so much last season was a real symptom for me of how we’ve declined. Even in our early years back in the Prem he was nothing more than backup (very useful backup though). If we are to improve, we need to get back to him being very valuable backup.

Therefore, conceptually speaking at least, a back 3 of Stephens/Hoedt, Verstergaard and Marlon sounds like a pretty well-balanced defence. There’s height, strength, ball-winning and ball-keeping capabilities.

CB is an interesting area for us, as Hughes will clearly always want to keep the 3 at the back in his locker. Until the last few years, English clubs tended to only use it as an experiment but the last two seasons it has almost become the new trend in England. Perhaps because of Chelsea’s use of it when they won the title.

I think it was Koeman who said he always wanted 2 players in his squad for every position, so this being the case and if Hughes is planning to use 3 at the back for the majority of the season, we are currently 2 CBs short. We need 6, but only have Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshida and Bednarek. Maybe we’re after both the Danish fella and Marlon.

At 6”7, the Danish dude is clearly going to be a dominating CB, but from his showreel Marlon looks to be strong on the ball and keen to bring it out. As we’ve seen from England in this World Cup, 3 at the back enables one of the CBs to step out and join the midfield at times. Maybe Marlon has been identified as this player.

As much as I like Yoshida, the requirement to select him so much last season was a real symptom for me of how we’ve declined. Even in our early years back in the Prem he was nothing more than backup (very useful backup though). If we are to improve, we need to get back to him being very valuable backup.

Therefore, conceptually speaking at least, a back 3 of Stephens/Hoedt, Verstergaard and Marlon sounds like a pretty well-balanced defence. There’s height, strength, ball-winning and ball-keeping capabilities.

Do you really think saints will run with 6 senior CBs? How many games do you think the 6th choice of those CBs will actually play? If we signed Marlon and Vestergaard, I would be very surprised if another CB didn’t go out. In the event of all three first choice CBs being out, Bertrand can just cover. For example, if Stephens is 6th choice and is on the rumoured £50k, than that is a huge waste of money?