Saints in China

Professor

What the hell are you on about?

Carrillo is by a mile out worst ever signing.

I’m just saying, if we hadn’t signed him, we wouldn’t have hit rock bottom, and maybe we’d be preparing for the championship with mope. So not our worst, because the consequences weren’t bad, in fact they were good consequences. Everything worked out.

There are plenty of worse signings with worse consequences.

I’m just saying, if we hadn’t signed him, we wouldn’t have hit rock bottom, and maybe we’d be preparing for the championship with mope. So not our worst, because the consequences weren’t bad, in fact they were good consequences. Everything worked out.

You are in a tiny minority with that view

It is up there with those who claimed Carrillo had a good scoring record

What a weird way of looking at it. He is our record signing and pound to contribution he is our worst signing by an absolute mile.

You're arguing about 2 different things. Is he the worst player that's ever worn a Saints shirt, that cost money to sign. Clearly not. Is he the worst £ for £ signing in terms of value for money, probably (although Kerry Dixon and some others will give him a run for that particular award).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever people say, it does seem that the signing of Carrillo was a dreadful waste of money. Mope has to be some of the reason, but surely Les Reed as well. Heads should have rolled. The fat we finished 17th (as I predicted last August), and not 18th saved his bacon.

Whatever people say, it does seem that the signing of Carrillo was a dreadful waste of money. Mope has to be some of the reason, but surely Les Reed as well. Heads should have rolled. The fat we finished 17th (as I predicted last August), and not 18th saved his bacon.

The fact they backed a manager who was so far out of his depth by spending so much money so late on does smack of incompetence and that can only be attributed to those in charge. I still dont understand it.

Delgado contributed more than Carrillo, Arsenal home game 3-2 win for example. He’s been a disaster of a signing, criminal waste of money on Pellegrino’s mate, clearly not in our plans for next season.

Anyone know if the China friendlies are going to be streamed?

Thought the word around the club was that they were still hopeful Carrillo could have an impact after a full pre-season. Glad that Hughes has been decisive on the issue though and he has clearly made his mind up that he’s not good enough. Hopefully we can transfer him out and recoup some of what we paid for him, and move on from the debacle. What a total desperation signing he was.

Can't see that visa issues would be any different for a french national than any other european in the squad.

Chinese visas are not cut and dried, the Boss (who has been visiting China for donkeys years) and I did our 3rd renewals in our passports lives for a trip in April so you would assume having been granted ones previously it would be a mere formality....errr no! I completed my application without issue, my Boss had to re submit his twice for very minor errors, it’s not rock up at the embassy wait and get your visa stuck in the book, it’s a leave and collect tomorrow. We both had a day left on our old visa when they were submitted and had to write a letter requesting they cancel our last visa to ensure they issued a new one because they can’t overlap.

I had one trip to Guangzhou where we hopped onto a Kenya Airways flight from Bangkok to Guangzhou, everyone needs a visa to get into China, we whistled through (surprisingly coupled with a bit of humour with the official) the African passengers were noticeably being double teamed by passport control.

Maybe they have an issue with Africans of which Boufal is one seeing as Morocco is North Africa.

I have a 2 year multi entry Chinese visa (which is pretty much standard issue), to get that new Visa I needed a letter of invitation which I got from a supplier, but now I can fly in and out of China willy nilly, why did I need the letter of invitation to get a new visa when the letter wording to fulfil the criteria for the renewal has basically expired.

HTH

Good to see the welcome at the airport with Chinese Saints' fans having photos taken with players and the manager. That's what this trip is about to raise the profile of the club and over time, to boost commercial income in a new market. If Southampton FC can get a profile in China and get Chinese supporters through the Prem games that are televised there, those supporters will buy club merchandise. If income from China increases our turnover, the Financial Fair Play Rules would allow more money to be spent on the team. It's a long shot and might not work but it does show the club is trying to get to the next level.

Good to see the welcome at the airport with Chinese Saints' fans having photos taken with players and the manager. That's what this trip is about to raise the profile of the club and over time, to boost commercial income in a new market. If Southampton FC can get a profile in China and get Chinese supporters through the Prem games that are televised there, those supporters will buy club merchandise. If income from China increases our turnover, the Financial Fair Play Rules would allow more money to be spent on the team. It's a long shot and might not work but it does show the club is trying to get to the next level.

Behave it’s not going to happen pal.

#沧海一粟

Exactly. And yet there does not appear to be any board level accountability for it. Over 10% of annual turnover blown in one hit. In any other corporate that gets you sacked.

The fact they backed a manager who was so far out of his depth by spending so much money so late on does smack of incompetence and that can only be attributed to those in charge. I still dont understand it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Chinese visas are not cut and dried, the Boss (who has been visiting China for donkeys years) and I did our 3rd renewals in our passports lives for a trip in April so you would assume having been granted ones previously it would be a mere formality....errr no! I completed my application without issue, my Boss had to re submit his twice for very minor errors, it’s not rock up at the embassy wait and get your visa stuck in the book, it’s a leave and collect tomorrow. We both had a day left on our old visa when they were submitted and had to write a letter requesting they cancel our last visa to ensure they issued a new one because they can’t overlap.

I had one trip to Guangzhou where we hopped onto a Kenya Airways flight from Bangkok to Guangzhou, everyone needs a visa to get into China, we whistled through (surprisingly coupled with a bit of humour with the official) the African passengers were noticeably being double teamed by passport control.

Maybe they have an issue with Africans of which Boufal is one seeing as Morocco is North Africa.

I have a 2 year multi entry Chinese visa (which is pretty much standard issue), to get that new Visa I needed a letter of invitation which I got from a supplier, but now I can fly in and out of China willy nilly, why did I need the letter of invitation to get a new visa when the letter wording to fulfil the criteria for the renewal has basically expired.

HTH

I used to visit China about 4 times a year for more than 30 years and never had a problem ! The multiple entry visa is the best way (and yes, you always need a letter of invitation) but on the few occasions that we were caught short we got them in 24 hours from an office in Hong Kong !

Get to the next level, or merely, keep up with most of the other Prem teams?

I would hope to see some commercial revenue from china sooner rather later because manys clubs already do and are not owned by a local.

If nothing happens soon I do wonder about the whole chinese ownership being of any benefit to the club.

I would have pitched the club sale in Japan as that would offer more commercial revenue.

Interesting to see the row of locals in front of the team outside the hotel entrance. Could be our new owner’s family, or the hotel staff as the hotel was heavily advertised. Wonder if it got onto local media to also advertise the team being there.

Not sure how suitable the location is for training when you see how hot the players became and the fairly extreme cooling down.

Whoever said this attempt to increase the revenue side for more headroom under FFP rules might just be to keep up with other clubs, rather than to get ahead, might well be right, but if you don’t at least keep up, what’s the alternative?

I would hope to see some commercial revenue from china sooner rather later because manys clubs already do and are not owned by a local.

If nothing happens soon I do wonder about the whole chinese ownership being of any benefit to the club.

I would have pitched the club sale in Japan as that would offer more commercial revenue.

Do you not think the club was pitched globally?

And what is the basis for your assertion that we would get more commercial revenue from a Japanese owner?

See JWP is continuing his progress -first his award at the Toulon tournament, now this. What was Becks accomplishing at the same age ffs?

zyd1k8.jpg

Wonder how many ingredients he got in the pan, I reckon about 3 out of 10.