Maya Yoshida

Charlie Wayman

Because he spent time as third choice behind VVD and Fonte some fans under-rated him. He's been a solid performer for us and has become our No1 He showed tremendous ability against a strong Belgian strike force and with two other world cup CBs to polay alongside him, as well as Stephens, I'm not convinced CB is an area the club should spend money.

There are few players i’ve enjoyed having at this club as much as Maya. I felt huge pride when he made that brilliant tackle on Lukaku to deny a certain goal last night, a real ambassador for this club who gives nothing but 100% every single day. Really gutted that they let their lead slip but I think Japan gained huge respect from the football world last night, absolutely brilliant.

Fonte came back from the Euros and thought we owed him. I bet we see a different attitude from Maya.

Personally, I'd like to see him given a guard of honour and we can all stand to applaud him into the pitch .... but I am a soppy sentimentalist, I know. Maybe we could just show our appreciation when he is on the ball.

A guard of honour?

Heads gone mate!!!

Exceptional ambassador for his country and our club.

Indeed, he's always been under-rated as a player but as a "person" he's head and shoulders above many in his attitude to both himself and the game. I've read his book, the effort and commitment he has put in over the years to keep improving deserves success.

Compare with Neymar whose talent seems to come naturally but as a person seems to be a total kn0b.

Just class! Well done Maya.

HCDAJFU

Seriously so could several of the Japanese team. Sign them.

They ran and ran, their passing was sharp and they never gave up . Amazing skills.

Proud you are true Saint, Yosh

Fonte came back from the Euros and thought we owed him. I bet we see a different attitude from Maya.

Personally, I'd like to see him given a guard of honour and we can all stand to applaud him into the pitch .... but I am a soppy sentimentalist, I know. Maybe we could just show our appreciation when he is on the ball.

That is an excellent idea, le's hope the new regime have more heart than the last who couldn't be bothered to publicly recognise and reward the feats of our two Portuguese stars who had just won the European Nations Cup.

It always seemed to me that Yoshi is a natural shoe-in as Club and on-pitch Captain, yet we keep giving the armband to totally uninspiring journeymen. Captains are born as Captains!

Always had a lot of time for Maya even when he was getting a lot of stick from fans. Never going to be another VVD or Toby but always gives 100% and seems loyal. One of Lawrie`s "Roadsweepers" I think.

To be fair, it’s only really the usual suspects like SOG, Appy, LGTL, MLG etc. Think most people now appreciate the contribution he makes to the side.

To be fair, it’s only really the usual suspects like SOG, Appy, LGTL, MLG etc. Think most people now appreciate the contribution he makes to the side.

Soggy seems to have an issue with him because he is Japanese.

Weird!

Weird!

No sign of anyone of those mentioned having a go about him on the previous Maya thread anyone would

think those names are mentioned because you two don`t like said posters.... :?

There are few players i’ve enjoyed having at this club as much as Maya. I felt huge pride when he made that brilliant tackle on Lukaku to deny a certain goal last night, a real ambassador for this club who gives nothing but 100% every single day. Really gutted that they let their lead slip but I think Japan gained huge respect from the football world last night, absolutely brilliant.
At the end of the match, they showed briefly Lukaku giving Yoshida a very long hug on the pitch and Lukaku appeared to be giving him words of praise/encouragement. Obviously some respect there.

Yoshida has only gotten better in the past few years, and has cut down on the mental lapses he displayed 3, 4 years ago.

So, that is what the people tend to fixate on here. I can't think of one howler he committed last year.

No sign of anyone of those mentioned having a go about him on the previous Maya thread anyone would

Trust me, over the years, they have pal.

I don't have an issue with the aforementioned posters; but if you mean soggy, I think he's gone a bit quiet of late. Perhaps he's slightly embarrassed or ashamed about the past abuse he's given yoshi?

Edited by shurlock

He’s right.

Maya is 100% committed and a very good team player.

He had a decent game last night.

That said he is not dominant in the air (as we all know) and struggles against big, powerful players and lost Lukaku a couple of times in the air which could easily have counted against Japan although he wasn't alone in this against a big Belgian side

Decent player who gives 100%, however Lakisha won just about every header against him in the box which is where we struggled last year ourselves. As soon as. Belgium started crossing towards Felani and Lukaku there was nothing or no one to stop them.

He has had lots to offer but we need more height in our back three - that’s Saints back three of course....

Edited by captainchris

Weird!

What is weird is why you would say something like that. Feel free to give us all evidence of this strange statement. While you are at it you might want to explain why you have slagged him off more than Pelle yet now seem to be a convert?

Shurlock - I am not a bit quite, I just have three posts a day. I don’t feel embarrassed about anything I have said about Yoshi. Feel free to find the last time I criticised him. He has done well on the World Cup and didn’t have a bad season last season. I have said before that I love his attitude and commitment. The trouble is that he is fine as back up but isn’t really at top ten Premiership starting centre back. Batman has said that more often than I, strange you haven’t picked him up on that. There of plenty of people who love Yoshi attitude and commitment but also see that he hasn’t got the quality that a side wanting to be challenging for Europe want as a main C B. And playing well on a few WC games isn’t the same as playing well for a full season in the Premiership.Ask yourself this, how many other Premiership clubs have been, or are, interesting in signing him?

What is weird is why you would say something like that. Feel free to give us all evidence of this strange statement. While you are at it you might want to explain why you have slagged him off more than Pelle yet now seem to be a convert?

Shurlock - I am not a bit quite, I just have three posts a day. I don’t feel embarrassed about anything I have said about Yoshi. Feel free to find the last time I criticised him. He has done well on the World Cup and didn’t have a bad season last season. I have said before that I love his attitude and commitment. The trouble is that he is fine as back up but isn’t really at top ten Premiership starting centre back. Batman has said that more often than I, strange you haven’t picked him up on that. There of plenty of people who love Yoshi attitude and commitment but also see that he hasn’t got the quality that a side wanting to be challenging for Europe want as a main C B. And playing well on a few WC games isn’t the same as playing well for a full season in the Premiership.Ask yourself this, how many other Premiership clubs have been, or are, interesting in signing him?

Your last sentence is an odd one. A player like Yoshida can be well good enough to play well for an EPL side (which he is) even a top ten side and still not be signed by them. How many offers (from top 10 Clubs) have there been for any of our current crop of players? How many offers have there been for JWP from top ten Clubs? A player touted by many on here to be a future England Captain.

• 1 month later...

Although he was only a 2nd half sub, Yoshida was our best player today and is clearly the best central defender in our squad now. Pity we couldn't have got Ben Gibson to partner him. I think a back 2 of Yoshida and Gibson would cover as much ground and be more effective defence than a back 3 of Vestergaard, Hoedt and Bednarek.

Although he was only a 2nd half sub, Yoshida was our best player today and is clearly the best central defender in our squad now.

He wasn’t. By the time he came on it was game, set and match to BM. They just went through the motions in searing heat. Please don’t turn Yoshida into some kind of saviour or super hero. He is adequate but always has a mistake in him that usually proves costly. I think the new guy will prove to be our best CB but only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...