Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

Incidentally, Bjelland is now a free agent ... (not saying Saints should sign him, but he must have something about him to be in and around a decent team to help them qualify)

"In and around". Probably the most irritating and stupid phrase in football ever.

Incidentally, Bjelland is now a free agent ... (not saying Saints should sign him, but he must have something about him to be in and around a decent team to help them qualify)

It's bad enough with fans walking around town with Virgin plastered on their shirts

We were rumoured to be interested in him some years ago much to the delight of the wittiest of posters on this board... "we're signing bellend"...

Been linked with Andy Bellend for a while.

Medical tomorrow apparently, according to ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3560431/denmark-defender-jannik-vestergaard-to-have-southampton-medical-sources

Fair play if true, looks like Wilson is actually getting sh1t done this window. He looks like the profile of CB we need, on paper at least.

Just a striker, Boufal replacement, and back-up GK and RB to go...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3560431/denmark-defender-jannik-vestergaard-to-have-southampton-medical-sources

Fair play if true, looks like Wilson is actually getting sh1t done this window. He looks like the profile of CB we need, on paper at least.

Nice! Would be good to get this one done.

I'd agree with that. But you just know we will leave one position glaringly weak.

That would be a good summer activity if we get that lot done, and replaced adequately.

Nice! Would be good to get this one done.

I'd agree with that. But you just know we will leave one position glaringly weak.

The other likely outcome is that despite our planning and recruitment,one of those we are expecting to stay (possibly Cedric or Bertrand) throw a strop about leaving a week before the window closes.

That would be a good summer activity if we get that lot done, and replaced adequately.

The other likely outcome is that despite our planning and recruitment,one of those we are expecting to stay (possibly Cedric or Bertrand) throw a strop about leaving a week before the window closes.

True. Although we seemingly were open with the Telegraph enough to say that we'd let Cedric or Bertrand go if:

1) They wanted to move & 2) We get a high enough offer.

Great news.

Good news if true, of the centre-backs we have been linked with he is the one that on paper looks like what we need.

Seems well rated as well, hopefully he'll compliment Hoedt well and with a settled more confident keeper in McCarthy, and Bertrand/Cedric hopefully staying we'll have a very solid and well balanced back 4.

Or back 5 with Yoshida/Bednerak in there.

True. Although we seemingly were open with the Telegraph enough to say that we'd let Cedric or Bertrand go if:

1) They wanted to move & 2) We get a high enough offer.

That would be a huge mistake as very clearly we have no remotely comparable replacement for either. Valery is nowhere near ready and Targett or McQueen are Championship players at best IMO.

From SSN:

SAINTS AGREE £18M VESTERGAARD FEE

Southampton have agreed an £18m fee with Borussia Monchengladbach for defender Jannik Vestergaard, according to Sky sources.

The Denmark international will have a medical this week, with personal terms not expected to be a problem.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11430820/southampton-agree-jannik-vestergaard-deal-with-borussia-monchengladbach

Edited by SuperSAINT

Good news if true, of the centre-backs we have been linked with he is the one that on paper looks like what we need.

Seems well rated as well, hopefully he'll compliment Hoedt well and with a settled more confident keeper in McCarthy, and Bertrand/Cedric hopefully staying we'll have a very solid and well balanced back 4.

Or back 5 with Yoshida/Bednerak in there.

More likely to replace Hoedt, being a leftie. Stephens/Yoshida and Vestegaard in a 4, Stephens, Vestegaard, Yoshida in a 3.

More likely to replace Hoedt, being a leftie. Stephens/Yoshida and Vestegaard in a 4, Stephens, Vestegaard, Yoshida in a 3.

Surely Stephens to drop out.

Following would be my choice in order, starting the top 3 or possibly Bednarek instead of Hoedt. Stephens nowhere near good enough.

1. Vestergaard

2. Hoedt

3. Yoshida

4. Bednarek

5. Stephens

Following would be my choice in order, starting the top 3 or possibly Bednarek instead of Hoedt. Stephens nowhere near good enough.

1. Vestergaard

2. Hoedt

3. Yoshida

4. Bednarek

5. Stephens

Hoedt and Stephens distribution has been terrible, i think Maya and Bednarek have good chances of starting as a three.

1. Vestergaard

2. Hoedt

3. Yoshida

4. Bednarek

5. Stephens

When you play two centre backs then you would need two back ups.

I suppose playing with three means you need three back ups?

I doubt anyone will be sold until January if some of our younger players start pushing for a squad place.

When you play two centre backs then you would need two back ups.

I suppose playing with three means you need three back ups?

I doubt anyone will be sold until January if some of our younger players start pushing for a squad place.

Perish the thought, many footballing experts on here, expect them to pass the age of 20, as world quality players, if not, bin 'em is the cry. FM has a lot to answer for!

Pretty sure he his primarily right footed but is comfortably on either foot, he is listed as either footed on FM and this report -

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jannik-vestergaard-ten-things-on-gladbach-s-great-dane-defender-467867.jsp

Says he is comfortable passing with either foot, but in the youtube vids I have seen he seems to go into tackles with his right foot.

Pretty sure he his primarily right footed but is comfortably on either foot, he is listed as either footed on FM and this report -

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jannik-vestergaard-ten-things-on-gladbach-s-great-dane-defender-467867.jsp

Says he is comfortable passing with either foot, but in the youtube vids I have seen he seems to go into tackles with his right foot.

Transfermarkt has him as left-footed and they a usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I really like this deal but it does raise some questions about Hoedt. To have two left-footed CB's in a back-four is very unusual so for me this either means Hoedt is on his way out or we committed to a back 3/5 for next season.

Transfermarkt has him as left-footed and they a usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I really like this deal but it does raise some questions about Hoedt. To have two left-footed CB's in a back-four is very unusual so for me this either means Hoedt is on his way out or we committed to a back 3/5 for next season.

I suppose it is unusual for 2 left-footers. But large amounts of back 3's have 2 right-footers & even 3 right-footers & no-one raises an eye-brow.

Not sure about that. If it is true that he is ambidextrous then I would imagine he is capable of playing either side of defence. In fact, the ability to pass out with the left foot from the right defensive channel can be a significant advantage, as it opens up the angle which enables the CB to pass in front of the right back, so can often set up a quick break down that side. And quite apart from that, I don't think it is imperative to have a CB playing on the side of their strongest foot. Pretty sure VVD isn't left footed but played almost entirely on the left side for us.

Personally I'd say the two most suited to playing 4 at the back would be Vestergaard and Hoedt, but if we're looking at a back 3 then Vestergaard, Bednarek and Yoshida might be better balanced. I really believe in Bednarek; his rate of improvement was phenomenal this year, even without much football, so if playing regularly I think he could be superb. And Yoshida would provide some pace to cover Vestergaard.

Seems pretty adapt here with either foot -

I think he is pretty much either footed so shouldn't really be a worry playing with Hoedt and I can't Hoedt being replaced.

Happy with this one, he's the CB who ticks most of the boxes we're missing. Strong, Powerful, good on the ball, a leading player from another club in another league (a very good league as well). Experience in European football. All massive ticks.

The only slight concern I'd have is that he's not 'quick', and neither are our other CB's. Getting powerful, quick CB's isn't easy though...!

We've done well with our Scandinavians in the past, so I'd expect him to be a hit here.

Happy with this one, he's the CB who ticks most of the boxes we're missing. Strong, Powerful, good on the ball, a leading player from another club in another league (a very good league as well). Experience in European football. All massive ticks.

The only slight concern I'd have is that he's not 'quick', and neither are our other CB's. Getting powerful, quick CB's isn't easy though...!

We've done well with our Scandinavians in the past, so I'd expect him to be a hit here.

Forren was excellent ;)

Agree with your points. If his positioning is really good, his lack of pace will be less of a concern.

Maya was recorded as on of the fastest players in the league at one point !?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester