Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

Transfermarkt has him as left-footed and they a usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I really like this deal but it does raise some questions about Hoedt. To have two left-footed CB's in a back-four is very unusual so for me this either means Hoedt is on his way out or we committed to a back 3/5 for next season.

Unusual yes, but is it any different to having 2 right footed players which isn’t as unusual....

Surely Stephens to drop out.

Following would be my choice in order, starting the top 3 or possibly Bednarek instead of Hoedt. Stephens nowhere near good enough.

1. Vestergaard

2. Hoedt

3. Yoshida

4. Bednarek

5. Stephens

1. Vestergaard

2. Bednarek

3. Yoshida

4. Hoedt

5. Stephens

Hoedt needs to improve considerably! I think think we'll get (and need) another centre back and Stephens will go out on loan.

Alex Crook says it's nearly done. Is this a good thing?

Let's not credit Alex Crook with this, he's only repeating what virtually every other news source is saying. He also perpetuates the myth that transfers are the personal responsibility of the manager. Media people like pretending its all done by the manager because it makes an easy way to present a story despite not being true. The recruitment of Vestergaard will have been handled by Ross Wilson, the Director of Scouting & Recruitment and his team under the direction of the Vice-Chairman of Football, Les Reed. Mark Hughes will have been consulted but he doesn't run recruitment. According to sources, the club has been after Vestergaard since before Mark Hughes came in but he may well have had a veto so that if he'd been opposed to the recruitment it probably wouldn't have gone ahead.

Happy with this one, he's the CB who ticks most of the boxes we're missing. Strong, Powerful, good on the ball, a leading player from another club in another league (a very good league as well). Experience in European football. All massive ticks.

The only slight concern I'd have is that he's not 'quick', and neither are our other CB's. Getting powerful, quick CB's isn't easy though...!

We've done well with our Scandinavians in the past, so I'd expect him to be a hit here.

Can’t have it all for the money we’re paying

Alex Crook says it's nearly done. Is this a good thing?

Alex Crook just regurgitates stories already in the press or titbits he has found on here. He is a joke figure among our media department and other journos covering Saints. I think Luke Shaw once gave him some actual info about not starting one game under Adkins and he has dined out on that ever since. The guy is a complete fraud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transfermarkt has him as left-footed and they a usually pretty accurate with these kind of things.

I really like this deal but it does raise some questions about Hoedt. To have two left-footed CB's in a back-four is very unusual so for me this either means Hoedt is on his way out or we committed to a back 3/5 for next season.

Don't think Hoedt is on his way out, but the Dan gives us options. He will probably be ahead of Hoedt to start with, but Hoedt will develop into a top CB, just needs to concentrate and work hard on not giving the ball away. To be fair there were rumours around that Hoedt wasn't happy so maybe there is something in it. But I certainly don't see Stephens position under threat from the Dane, Yoshida probably has more to worry about. The people on here who just think all CBs are interchangeable really do show their ignorance. What we will have is a squad of 5 CBs who can be used in various combinations, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Jannik will be very useful when we play some of the lower order old fashioned teams who will continue to use a big striker (and Man U) but is he really going to be effective against the likes of Aguero/Stirling and other PL teams who no longer employ big bruises up front. Debatable.

Alex Crook just regurgitates stories already in the press or titbits he has found on here. He is a joke figure among our media department and other journos covering Saints. I think Luke Shaw once gave him some actual info about not starting one game under Adkins and he has dined out on that ever since. The guy is a complete fraud.

My favourite Alex Crook story is when he claimed we weren't interested in Charlie Austin, less than 24 hours he was officially announced as having signed. When I pointed it out to him on twitter he immediately blocked me. The guy is a joke who does exactly what you say he does. He is hilarious in his role as talk sports south coast football expert, basically "revealing" all stories that are already in the media anyway. I've never actually seen him say anything that wasn't already in the public domain.

who is 'your media department'?

Southampton close to Vestergaard signing

SAINTS are understood to be hopeful of completing an £18m deal for Borussia Monchengladbach centre-back Jannik Vestergaard.

The Daily Echo understands the club have agreed a fee for the towering 6ft7in defender, who was in the Denmark squad at the World Cup.

It is believed the 25-year-old will complete a switch to St Mary's this week. He will undergo a medical at Staplewood in the coming days.

Vestergaard was unused at the World Cup as the Danes reached the last 16, losing to England's semi-final opponents Croatia on penalties.

The imposing figure has spent eight years playing in the German Bundesliga, having played for Brondby in his homeland in his youth.

A young Vestergaard started out at Hoffenheim, where he made 76 appearances in four-and-a-half seasons before moving to Werder Bremen in January 2015.

He was a mainstay in Werder's team in 2015/16, playing 39 games in all competitions.

Mochengladbach then paid 12m euros for Vestergaard in June 2016 where he has played 79 times in two seasons.

Now the 16-time capped Dane is set to become Mark Hughes' third signing of the summer after Stuart Armstrong and Mohamed Elyounoussi.

Saints will take their summer spending to £41m if Vestergaard joins.

Vestergaard has missed just three Bundesliga matches in three seasons and is known for his aerial might. He is also said to be comfortable on the ball.

Hughes is keen to strengthen his defensive options this summer, with Saints set to continue to play a three-at-the-back system next term.

Vestergaard, who will join fellow Dane Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg on the South Coast, will compete with Maya Yoshida, Jack Stephens, Wesley Hoedt and Jan Bednarek for a centre-back place.

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16341755.southampton-close-to-vestergaard-signing/

Very pleased if this comes through. We needed height, we needed a leading CB to organise, a player from a good league with the right experience (tick). OK, may not be blisteringly quickly but actually Yoshi/Stephens aren't slouches pace-wise and Hoedt isn't that slow (although looked at it times last year pre-Hughes). Big high quality CBs with genuine pace cost VVD money only a handful of clubs worldwide can pay that, and even then Liverpool sold Coutinho.

Impressed with the enhanced urgency this transfer window, best since 2014 and 2015. I think that tells you a strong manager needs to be in the mix, don't know whether it means Ross Wilson has a greater role in getting deals over the line.

Very pleased if this comes through. We needed height, we needed a leading CB to organise, a player from a good league with the right experience (tick). OK, may not be blisteringly quickly but actually Yoshi/Stephens aren't slouches pace-wise and Hoedt isn't that slow (although looked at it times last year pre-Hughes). Big high quality CBs with genuine pace cost VVD money only a handful of clubs worldwide can pay that, and even then Liverpool sold Coutinho.

Impressed with the enhanced urgency this transfer window, best since 2014 and 2015. I think that tells you a strong manager needs to be in the mix, don't know whether it means Ross Wilson has a greater role in getting deals over the line.

I think a manager who knows the league and understands what we need is key. The past two summers we've had 'new' people into the post that wanted time to learn the squad and possibly the league. Hughes has already had the time to 'learn' the squad, so he knows straight away what we need.

Happy with this one, he's the CB who ticks most of the boxes we're missing. Strong, Powerful, good on the ball, a leading player from another club in another league (a very good league as well). Experience in European football. All massive ticks.

The only slight concern I'd have is that he's not 'quick', and neither are our other CB's. Getting powerful, quick CB's isn't easy though...!

We've done well with our Scandinavians in the past, so I'd expect him to be a hit here.

Apart from Forren, I'd agree with this. Lundekvam, Ostenstad, Svensson x 2, Killer, Tessem, Niemi, Ostlund - missing anybody? Don't think we've ever had an Icelander?

3 left footed CB's ? maybe bednerak or yoshida for hoedt

Maya is our most experienced (and best) CB by some disrance. Many here may not relish the fact, but by dint of our recent failings in the CB market, it be so.

I'd put my money on him and this Danish bloke running out on opening day. Either as a pairing or part of a three.

Targett - Bertrand - Vestergaard - Hoedt - Cedric

Nobody considering this as a possibility? Adopting the Walker CB strategy full-time after successes under Koeman (?)

I think we will see a lot of prem teams moving to 3-5-2 after England success at WC. I'd have Vestergaard, Bednarkek, Bertand as the 3 with Hoedt and Yoshi as back-ups. Cedric and Targett as the wing-backs. Stephens i can see out on another loan

Targett - Bertrand - Vestergaard - Hoedt - Cedric

Nobody considering this as a possibility? Adopting the Walker CB strategy full-time after successes under Koeman (?)

No way should Hoedt be getting in front of Yoshida in the first 11. And why would we downgrade the left wingback position when Bertrand is so much better than Targett?

No way should Hoedt be getting in front of Yoshida in the first 11. And why would we downgrade the left wingback position when Bertrand is so much better than Targett?

I think a lot of people are harsh on Hoedt. First season in the Prem, chopped and changed by the clown in charge and playing in a team with no confidence until Hughes arrived. I think he will make a few people eat their words this season

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester