Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

If Hughes is going to play 3 CBs per match (and it seems to be the "trendy formation" currently). then having 5 of the necessary quality is a minimum.....

Koeman used to play Bertrand as a CB in that formation. He did alright from my memory.

Sack of Stephens and bring this lad in. Don’t know much about him, but he looks like someone who can head the ball, which is something we lack.

The lack of pace in our back 3 would be a concern, but our lack of ability to clear a cross is more concerning

Koeman used to play Bertrand as a CB in that formation. He did alright from my memory.

Which is why I was surprised he didn’t go to WC... he could have easily played LWB or LCB (arguably better than young and rose).

Fortunately for us (England) Maguire has looked class.

Sack of Stephens and bring this lad in. Don’t know much about him, but he looks like someone who can head the ball, which is something we lack.

The lack of pace in our back 3 would be a concern, but our lack of ability to clear a cross is more concerning

Why do we expect players and managers to have loyalty to clubs when clubs don show them any?

Why do we expect players and managers to have loyalty to clubs when clubs don show them any?

It’s got nothing to do with loyalty. Stephens is sh*t. Championship player, at best.

It’s a cruel game football, especially at the top.

Yoshida is pretty quick, isn't he?

It’s got nothing to do with loyalty. Stephens is sh*t. Championship player, at best.

I agree but it works both ways. I wouldn't say he's sh1t just not particularly good. He'd do a good job for a promoted team. But you can't expect loyalty towards clubs when clubs don't give it.

I agree but it works both ways. I wouldn't say he's sh1t just not particularly good. He'd do a good job for a promoted team. But you can't expect loyalty towards clubs when clubs don't give it.

I don’t get what you suggest we do then? Keep him, although he’s not good enough?

He wouldn’t be one of my starting 3 personally, but yeah he would add some pace.

Really? Yoshida is probably the best CB currently at the club. Which highlights the problem when a couple of seasons ago he was our backup CB now (with the current squad) he should be the first CB on the team sheet.

Really? Yoshida is probably the best CB currently at the club. Which highlights the problem when a couple of seasons ago he was our backup CB now (with the current squad) he should be the first CB on the team sheet.

Tend to agree, though not by much and he is certainly poor at crosses as well. I find Yoshida plays well alongside a more commanding centre back, as he reads the game well and has pace to cover. When he's alongside someone a bit iffy like Stephens or Hoedt he tends to get dragged out of position and starts making his own mistakes.

Edited by mrfahaji

Nothing to do with the idea that he may have improved since a couple of seasons ago. Really don't get this idea that some seem to have that a player's ability is based on how he was at some (often) distant point in the past. Players improve (and get worse) over time (the oppoosite is tue as well, tadic being a fine example). Yoshida may not be the greatest but he has certainly got a lot better in the last couple of seasons. Some people (not necessarily you) still slate him based on his appearances at RB in the very early days at saints. He is (or was) dog ****e at RB, but as a CB he is definitely decent enough for upper mid table PL, as is Stephens, and Hoedt (at least when he learns to concentrate and cut out the appalling mistakes). These are very good CBs but they are not as good as world class CBs like van Dijk or Alderwiereld, and the chances of us getting more of that type of level are slim at best. Vetergaard looks decent, but he is not really any better than what we have, but gives us strength in depth. He isn't even first or second choice for Denmark. Not sure he would even get in the team ahead of our current first choice three, but his physique does bring something to our squad, dealing with the few teams these days that still have tall strikers (though they are few and far between and getting rarer by the season).

Nothing to do with the idea that he may have improved since a couple of seasons ago. Really don't get this idea that some seem to have that a player's ability is based on how he was at some (often) distant point in the past. Players improve (and get worse) over time (the oppoosite is tue as well, tadic being a fine example). Yoshida may not be the greatest but he has certainly got a lot better in the last couple of seasons. Some people (not necessarily you) still slate him based on his appearances at RB in the very early days at saints. He is (or was) dog ****e at RB, but as a CB he is definitely decent enough for upper mid table PL, as is Stephens, and Hoedt (at least when he learns to concentrate and cut out the appalling mistakes). These are very good CBs but they are not as good as world class CBs like van Dijk or Alderwiereld, and the chances of us getting more of that type of level are slim at best. Vetergaard looks decent, but he is not really any better than what we have, but gives us strength in depth. He isn't even first or second choice for Denmark. Not sure he would even get in the team ahead of our current first choice three, but his physique does bring something to our squad, dealing with the few teams these days that still have tall strikers (though they are few and far between and getting rarer by the season).

Out of interest, how many caps did Van Dijk and Alderweireld have for Holland and Belgium, when we signed them? Can't remember them being fully established first choice CBs.

Out of interest, how many caps did Van Dijk and Alderweireld have for Holland and Belgium, when we signed them? Can't remember them being fully established first choice CBs.

Toby had 37 caps & didn't even play centre-back for them.

He was right-back, I think.

Can't recall if Virgil was even capped.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Toby had 37 caps & didn't even play centre-back for them.

He was right-back, I think.

Can't recall if Virgil was even capped.

Yeah, Toby was their RB - but was in and out of the team, not a regular I don't think.

99% sure VVD hadn't even been in the dutch squad, his call up came after we signed him.

To be fair, being behind Christensen and Kejer isn't too bad - two pretty decent CB's.

Not really the point I was making though. I'd agree Yoshida has improved I think he is a decent enough player to be a PL CB. He is, however, still a down grade on Lovern, Toby, VVD and Fonte (in his prime) hence the reason he was the back up player for so many seasons. The fact he is now our best CB speaks volumes about our recent recruitment.

So who do you suggest we bin them off to - that can pay same wages as us, would be interested in a "sh1t" player?

Someone will buy him, probably in the championship. That’s what agents are for.

The only thing that will put most off is the stupid amount we’ve been paying him.

Not really the point I was making though. I'd agree Yoshida has improved I think he is a decent enough player to be a PL CB. He is, however, still a down grade on Lovern, Toby, VVD and Fonte (in his prime) hence the reason he was the back up player for so many seasons. The fact he is now our best CB speaks volumes about our recent recruitment.

The fact he is now our best CB shows the extent of his improvement with experience, the same can happen with Jack Stephens

Yeah, Toby was their RB - but was in and out of the team, not a regular I don't think.

99% sure VVD hadn't even been in the dutch squad, his call up came after we signed him.

To be fair, being behind Christensen and Kejer isn't too bad - two pretty decent CB's.

Also Kjaer and Jorgensen are both in their late 20s, they are established and at their peak for centre-backs, Verstergaard is 25 and only real established himself as first teamer for his clubs a few years ago.

It says in the articles about him that he was a midfielder and that he converted to a centre-back whilst at Werder Bremen who he credits for turning around his career I believe.

So he's only really had 3 seasons of regular first team football as a centre-back so no surprise he would necessarily walk into the national team for a World Cup.

Kjaer has like over 80 caps, then the other 3 are on 15, 16 and 20 caps so really Kjaer is the first choice and the other 3 have clearly been battling it out for the other spot.

So 'not being first choice for Denmark' also applies to Christensen and I'd imagine many people here would be happy we were signing him.

And as others have mentioned VVD wasn't even in the reckoning for Holland, who haven't even managed to qualify and he has turned out all right.

To me he looks like a player on the up, is a good age, playing well in a good league and has physical characteristics our other defenders lack. He was also playing Champions League football last year.

Getting him for £20 million when the other options look like some reserve team player for Barcelona who was rejected by a French club and Gibson, seems a no brainer to me.

Getting on the up, younger players from other leagues has worked well in the past, especially ones who have champs league experience as well. Also hardly like the Bundesliga is a poor league.

Are we at the middle of a big Euro merry-go-round?

Borussia Mönchengladbach reach agreement with Alassane Pléa

Borussia Mönchengladbach have an agreement in principle to sign OGC Nice forward Alassane Pléa, according to Kicker.

Negotiations are still ongoing between both clubs regarding the final transfer fee, but it appears that the Bundesliga outfit has agreed a contract with the Frenchman.

Should central defender Jannik Vestergaard join Southampton for a substantial fee, Gladbach may choose to use that to fund a move for Pléa, who is expected to cost in upwards of €20 million.

Nice sell Plea to Mönchengladbach >> Mönchengladbach sell Westergaard to finance Plea deal >> Which enables Nice to buy Boufal.

What and Hooet is decent is he???lol

Hooet has been poor at least Stephens is decent at passing ..

Are we at the middle of a big Euro merry-go-round?

Nice sell Plea to Mönchengladbach >> Mönchengladbach sell Westergaard to finance Plea deal >> Which enables Nice to buy Boufal.

So the financials likely aren't as simple as this but at a high level you could suggest Vestergaard is costing us £5.5m and Boufal. Considering the later has no future at the club, that doesn't seem too bad.

So the financials likely aren't as simple as this but at a high level you could suggest Vestergaard is costing us £5.5m and Boufal. Considering the later has no future at the club' date=' that doesn't seem too bad.[/quote']

I get what you mean. Lets just think even better than that. Lets say the new centre-back would be paid for by the leftover VvD money & any Boufal fee goes on an attacking replacement for him.

Vetergaard looks decent, but he is not really any better than what we have, but gives us strength in depth. He isn't even first or second choice for Denmark. Not sure he would even get in the team ahead of our current first choice three,

Never heard of the bloke until last week, but I am 100% certain he's better than Stephens.

I don’t get what you suggest we do then? Keep him, although he’s not good enough?

No. I think because he's English, there's probably some decent money to be made from selling him. Nice lad but I think he's just slightly off the standard of players we should be looking to sign. HOWEVER I'm just saying, we cannot then whinge because players and managers deem us as not good enough as a club.

Clubs rightly need performers who are effective for the huge wages they earn. There is no room for sentiment.

“It’s got nothing to do with loyalty. Southampton are sh*t. Mid-table premier league club at best and I want champions league.”

[emoji848]

Clubs rightly need performers who are effective for the huge wages they earn. There is no room for sentiment.

Totally agree. I'm not sure why anyone thinks I'm saying we should keep him. I completely agree, there's no room for sentiment. However it works both ways. Players rightly need effective clubs. There's no room for sentiment there either. That's literally all I'm saying. We can't whinge when players show us no loyalty.

“It’s got nothing to do with loyalty. Southampton are sh*t. Mid-table premier league club at best and I want champions league.”

[emoji848]

Finally someone gets it.

Also Kjaer and Jorgensen are both in their late 20s, they are established and at their peak for centre-backs, Verstergaard is 25 and only real established himself as first teamer for his clubs a few years ago.

It says in the articles about him that he was a midfielder and that he converted to a centre-back whilst at Werder Bremen who he credits for turning around his career I believe.

So he's only really had 3 seasons of regular first team football as a centre-back so no surprise he would necessarily walk into the national team for a World Cup.

Kjaer has like over 80 caps, then the other 3 are on 15, 16 and 20 caps so really Kjaer is the first choice and the other 3 have clearly been battling it out for the other spot.

So 'not being first choice for Denmark' also applies to Christensen and I'd imagine many people here would be happy we were signing him.

Kjær is the pivotal figure in the Danish defence. A John Terry without the ****ty personality and the scandals. He is 1st choice CB for the foreseeable future.

His partner in the WC qual was Bjelland from Brentford. Unspectacular but formed a good partnership with Kjær. Only just before the WC he lost his place to the up and coming Christensen and in the end, Bjelland was left out of the squad entirely leaving room for Huddersfield's Zanka and Vestergaard. So it must have been close between the four.

Christensen was preferred as partner to Kjær, and when he was moved into a holding midfielder role, Zanka was brought in. He was a star in the Danish league but a fluke in the Netherlands. Last season he improved greatly with Huddersfield where he did not look entirely out of place in the PL. Zanka is quicker than Vestergaard which might explain why he was seen as 3rd choice CB.

So Vestergaard is 4th choice CB right now but it's a very close call. He is tall and extremely good in the air, but not surprisingly he struggles with pace and has the turning radius of an oil tanker. He might follow the path of PEH who needed time to adjust to the pace and pressure of English football but I wouldn't rule out that he could become a big hit for us if we're a bit patient. He is young and has the potential to improve his game considerably if he is put in the right training and match environment.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester