Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

In the 36 premier league games that Saints have played this season, we have won 9. Vestergaard has played 23 matches. When he hasn't played (13 games) we have only won once (Brighton away). While his limitations are clear (lack of pace, turning speed), we really miss his physical presence and height when he isn't there; all our other centre halves are not the most physically strong individuals (Yosh & Bed are almost slender ....) and certainly towards the end of games when opponents have a tendency go more direct, we miss his ability to head clear and block shots.

Due to his limitations he probably isn't suited to a back 4, but if we are to bring in a new centre half we need to make sure that they are physically strong and dominant as I don't believe any of our existing pairing will work either.

This season Vestergaard played in our defeats to Burnley (0-3), Liverpool (1-2), Bournemouth (1-3) and Spurs (1-2). Last season he played in lots of defeats, usually with two other CBs, who were needed to cover for him. We probably would have done no worse in those games with a back 4, without him. I'll grant you that very occasionally he has a good game like in our 1-1 draw with Man Utd (maybe 1 in 10). But the idea that we should play him against big strikers because he is big is negated by the fact that he can't jump, is easily brushed aside and has a tendency to fall over when a striker runs at him.

This season Vestergaard played in our defeats to Burnley (0-3), Liverpool (1-2), Bournemouth (1-3) and Spurs (1-2). Last season he played in lots of defeats, usually with two other CBs, who were needed to cover for him. We probably would have done no worse in those games with a back 4, without him. I'll grant you that very occasionally he has a good game like in our 1-1 draw with Man Utd (maybe 1 in 10). But the idea that we should play him against big strikers because he is big is negated by the fact that he can't jump, is easily brushed aside and has a tendency to fall over when a striker runs at him.

I disagree that we would have done no worse with a back 4 last season. Every time we tried to play with one we were absolutely dreadful. I think that we only managed to win 2 games in total with a back 4 all season and lost more than we drew. With a back 3 we were far better.

This season we seem to be equally bad with either a back 4 or 3, although part of that has been due to the manager trying to shoe-horn players into the team out of position.

It looks he was dropped and he was intending to play the same back 4 as started against Pompey, so that is a thing I suppose. That to me at least says he has recognised he shouldn't be starting, but he's still getting ahead of Danso which I find a bit weird seeing as Danso actually hasn't had a chance yet as a centre-back.

• 4 weeks later...
He is an absolutley dreadful player and as long as he is in the side, we will ship goals. Another one who we need out of this club asap.

I never want to see him in a Saints shirt again. Can we just put him on gardening leave until we can give him away to any club prepared to take him on a free transfer in January?

• 3 months later...
Speaking to a Danish newspaper, JV reveals that RH was the one who blocked a £25M January move to Leicester:

https://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbold/udenlandsk_fodbold/engelsk_fodbold/PremierLeague/southampton/dansker-drama-manager-blokerede-droemmeskifte/8016846

Should have sold him for anything above £15M. And kept Yoshida instead.

Players are like houses. Even likes of Vest will go up in value just reflecting the market.

We seem to regularly show transfer fees including the saved wages. We have seen SFC do this a few times for some reason

therefore it’s likely to be c£14m fee and c£11m in wages saved

We seem to regularly show transfer fees including the saved wages. We have seen SFC do this a few times for some reason

I'm not sure we have, but posters on here have guessed that's what we've done.

Personally I'd have taken the money and kept Yoshida who even at this stage of his career is better than Vestergaard will ever be.

If we sell him I suspect it'll be when another year of his contract has clicked over, so mid July onwards.

I'm not sure we have, but posters on here have guessed that's what we've done.

Personally I'd have taken the money and kept Yoshida who even at this stage of his career is better than Vestergaard will ever be.

If we sell him I suspect it'll be when another year of his contract has clicked over, so mid July onwards.

we have been doing that and recently tried it with the Cedric and Yoshida loans. Reporting the “fee” as the sum of wages saved + loan fee

+ the club would be absolutely bonkers to turn down a fee of £25m for vesty. The clubs been poorly managed in recent years but they are not that dumb

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

1) surely they weren’t going to pay £26m in January 

2) if they were, why the fck would we not let that go ahead 

This whole saga seems utterly absurd. But it keeps coming back and back in various platforms.

I'm not sure I'll ever believe it, though.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 15:43, ErwinK1961 said:

1) surely they weren’t going to pay £26m in January 

2) if they were, why the fck would we not let that go ahead 

At that time, I think we (ie the Club) had decided to let Yoshi go, and Vester was now first reserve.

Yeah, any offer over £15M and I think we could find a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

If they want to spend £15m then I'll drive him there. Such a shame we decided to block that up to 26m deal in January, that would have been hilarious.

But even with 15m, we're not making a huge loss on him. Take it and run!

Don't blame the club whatsoever for not taking the 26m deal in January. If one of Stephens or Bednarek were out for the season we would have been stuck with Danso who clearly isn't up to it. Playing risky with relegation is not something I am in any way in favour of, even if it loses us 10m in the interim. Now, however, get rid, get Salisu in now and look for another cb too if we can find someone reasonably cheap who can act as a worthy 4th choice, I am not sure Danso fills that role.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Omar Colley ?

3 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

That article mentions we are in for Omar Colley from Sampdoria, not heard us linked with him before.

They are rehashing old stories. 

http://sportwitness.co.uk/agent-denied-report-southamptons-e15m-offer-serie-defender/

https://www.ansa.it/liguria/notizie/2020/05/26/sampdoria-southampton-offre-15-milioni-per-colley_cdeb5819-5d48-45d2-8492-506d35633aee.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Don't blame the club whatsoever for not taking the 26m deal in January. If one of Stephens or Bednarek were out for the season we would have been stuck with Danso who clearly isn't up to it. Playing risky with relegation is not something I am in any way in favour of, even if it loses us 10m in the interim. Now, however, get rid, get Salisu in now and look for another cb too if we can find someone reasonably cheap who can act as a worthy 4th choice, I am not sure Danso fills that role.

Personally, I'd have kept Yoshida for the final 6 months of his contract and sold off Vestergaard for the up to £26m.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw he was playing v Faroe Islands. Even he should excel against that opposition.

No sign of Champions League Hojberg  in the team or on the bench. Don't know if he was completely omitted from their squad, perhaps he's injured having sprained a tattoo against Man Utd.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Not conceded a goal this season. What a player Les bought for us. 

Vestergard and Ings look like £40m well spent. 

#les'slegacy

All the analysis we do on the suitability of players to fit our unique playing system and our club culture really does pay off. I think we need to thank young Ross as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

All the analysis we do on the suitability of players to fit our unique playing system and our club culture really does pay off. I think we need to thank young Ross as well.

Interesting to note that the club see a future for Elyanoussi too, a player written off by the fans but clearly Les and Ross were planning for the future too knowing he would need a couple of seasons on loan to make himself saints ready. They truly are visionaries. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester