Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

The two first choices play for Chelsea and Sevilla :mcinnes:

Ok, after reading the posts above and #50 I feel better. He's young and hopefully just came up against good competition. We could certainly use a top CB. Frankly Yoshida is the only guy I really trust back there.

Looks like Gladbach are using the cash quickly...

Alassane Pléa appears to be nearing a move to Gladbach

OGC Nice striker Alassane Pléa appears to be nearing a move to Bundesliga side Gladbach, who made a new €23m plus bonuses offer for the player earlier today, according to Le 10 Sport.

Newcastle United remain interested in the player, but Pléa is understood to be ready to move to the German outfit.

Nice are ok with the deal in principle, but are waiting on Lyon, who had a 20% sell-on clause in the deal, but have been proposed an alternative agreement by Les Aiglons.

Source: http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/alassane-plea-appears-to-be-nearing-a-move-to-gladbach/

In most of the posts I’ve seen we were crying out for a commanding tall CB. Now we are focusing on pace and because (allegedly) this guy isn’t that quick we are a bit underwhelmed (well some). Can’t have it all chaps unless we pay stupid money.

unbelievable isn’t it ? If he is in a three centre back partnership pace isn’t important unless the other two are tug boats as well. Commanding in the air will do given how ****e we are defending crosses and set pieces

In most of the posts I’ve seen we were crying out for a commanding tall CB. Now we are focusing on pace and because (allegedly) this guy isn’t that quick we are a bit underwhelmed (well some). Can’t have it all chaps unless we pay stupid money.
Who is underwhelmed? No one has said that at all, it's going to be one of those infamous saintsweb myths again. I reckon he's a good signing.

For comparison the back 3 of the title winning team at chelsea were Gary Cahill, Cesar Azpilicueta, and David Luiz.

None of whom are fast, really tall, secret is to have the ball playing CB in the middle (Luiz in this case) and the classic CB's either side.

The question remains who is our ball playing CB ? Hoedt ? this dude ?

unbelievable isn’t it ? If he is in a three centre back partnership pace isn’t important unless the other two are tug boats as well. Commanding in the air will do given how ****e we are defending crosses and set pieces

Exactly. I expect if we'd signed Marlon, they'd be panicking about how he's a short arse and won't win a header.

Apparently, Vestergaard is a good reader of the game and fantastic at timing a tackle. It didn't hurt John Terry in his later years when he was as fast as a paraplegic tortoise and as agile as a decapitated elephant. He was a good defender who could read the game and get into the correct position to win the ball. That's what this guy is supposed to be good at and it's what we totally lack at the back.

I think I'll wait to see him play before I decide how good he is at football before I pass judgement on him.

Exactly. I expect if we'd signed Marlon, they'd be panicking about how he's a short arse and won't win a header.

Apparently, Vestergaard is a good reader of the game and fantastic at timing a tackle. It didn't hurt John Terry in his later years when he was as fast as a paraplegic tortoise and as agile as a decapitated elephant. He was a good defender who could read the game and get into the correct position to win the ball. That's what this guy is supposed to be good at and it's what we totally lack at the back.

I think I'll wait to see him play before I decide how good he is at football before I pass judgement on him.

[emoji106]

Exactly! It's a fact now! You realise that when he's great, people will be linking to posts like this in a couple of years as proof that he was written off and called rubbish before he'd done anything.

Reading their fan forums, it seems they'd like Benedikt Höwedes brought in as a replacement. He would have been ideal for us too, although at 30, not the sort of player we usually buy.

They have some good things to say about Vestergaard. Their forums certainly aren't full of good riddance and laughing all the way to the bank messages like the Celtic forums were when they sold Hooiveld or the Monaco ones when they sold Carrillo. He's a trier, a good offensive header (although not such a good defensive one) and he plays good, long forward passes. From what I've seen of him on videos, his lack of pace is a real cause for concern. Also, perhaps because he is so tall, and doesn't need to, he's not very good at jumping. They say that he is slow off the mark and has poor positional sense but overall they feel he suited their team. But, they also note that they had one of the worst defences in the Bundesliga last season so they can understand why something had to change.

Whether such a slow defender can survive in the Premier League will depend on the partnership he forms. Yoshida is the only central defender we've got with enough pace to cover for him so that's probably who he'd play best alongside.

You're using a fans homemade sh itty Youtube as a source now?

Hint: he's just reading out the internet.

Are you always a pretentious tosser or is it just when you are hiding behind a keyboard? You need to grow up mate if you are getting triggered that easily. All their news has been accurate.

Fully grown man crying on a football forum.

Jesus wept.

Are you always a pretentious tosser or is it just when you are hiding behind a keyboard? You need to grow up mate if you are getting triggered that easily. All their news has been accurate.

Jesus wept.

Okaaaaay. I'm not crying about anything sweetheart.

Its just a man reading out the internet.

The question remains who is our ball playing CB ? Hoedt ? this dude ?

Both.

Hoedt's passing range is pretty good and seems like this guy's is as well. From the scout reports he's also apparently adept at bringing it out of defence and not bad at dribbling. He started of as a centre-mid.

Hopefully we have signed the Danish Harry Maguire.

Pace wise I wouldn't worry, the guy is 2m tall, he was never going to be quick but then most centre-backs are not that quick, it's rare to get someone like VVD who is big, strong and fast. For that level of player you have to pay a lot.

Also again in this report - http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/08/13/scout-report-jannik-vestergaard/

It says -

Vestergaard is a hard, strong and physical centre back. He has a great tactical view of the game and reads it well to put in a good shift in defence. He isn’t particularly fast but he compensates for it with his positional play and reading of the game

A lot of comparisons have been made with Mertersacker and I'd take that, that guy was not quick but still a top quality defender who was aware of his limitations.

From what I have read this guy is an intelligent player, who is calm, reads the game well and is very good at making tackles and blocks, coupled with being dominant in the air. At 25 as well he is still young for a centre-back and started off as a centre-mid so is probably still developing his game, so I think he will be a success.

Sure he might end up getting beaten for a pace a few times next season, or turned by someone like Aguero but we are not going to end up buying the perfect centre-back. Even VVD had weaknesses, his concentration was a lacking and he switches off at times.

Jesus wept.

Of course CB is a pretentious tosser. But after a while you realise that that is one of his endearing qualities, but obviously if you take him seriously/literally, you might view things differently. As for the crying bit, Chiefy, it actually looks like its you doing it. But hey, its a football forum populated (primarily) by nom de plumes and it really isn't worth getting your kickers in a twist over things.

Edited by angelman

Only two players have won more aerial duels than Vestergaard in the last two Bundesliga campaigns (236), but no player has made more clearances (331) nor have they blocked more shots (60).

Whatever people might think, you can’t argue with stat’s like that.

Only two players have won more aerial duels than Vestergaard in the last two Bundesliga campaigns (236), but no player has made more clearances (331) nor have they blocked more shots (60).

Exactly what we need.

And many were citing Hoedt’s ‘aerial duel’ stats in serie a before he seemed to get beat week in week out in the air over here. Encouraging stats but #pinchofsalt.

Edited by shurlock

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester